• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
The only answer is Chemical Plant Zone.
Favorite Sonic music is damn near impossible to answer:

Chemical Plant
Sonic 2 ending (Sweet Dreams)
Ice Cap
Sonic 3 Final Boss (possibly the best boss music in gaming history)
Sonic 3 credits

Of course, we have some of the so
good
it's good music, like:

City Escape
Live and Learn
I AIN'T GON LET IT GET TO ME I JUST GON CREEP

Some of the Sonic Generations mixes are incredible too. Modern Crisis City, Door into Summer,Sky Sanctuary... the list goes on.

Even my pure, irrational hatred of Unleashed and Colors can't bring me to call the music bad.
PVlQz.gif

I dunno about the best, but good, yes
DJ EGGMAN GET'UM

Sonic 4 Episode Metal was getting there. Even more annoying is that the level begins with you surrounded by a whole bunch of those stupid mantis enemies.

I'm pretty sure that's just for show. If you stand around without moving, they won't fire. I think you have to intentionally walk around back and forth in that tiny area for them to have enough time to attack you.

qq more

I'm pretty sure that's just for show. If you stand around without moving, they won't fire. I think you have to intentionally walk around back and forth in that tiny area for them to have enough time to attack you.

Oh okay. I immediately spindash the hell out of there because I didn't want to take any chances.

I dunno about you, but I remember the Saturn for all three Panzer Dragoons, Clockwork Knight 2, NiGHTS, Mega Man 8 and X4, Street Fighter Collection (Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold), Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Shining the Holy Ark, Magic Knight Rayearth, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Tomb Raider, Astal, Powerslave, Rayman... Sonic R was only a small part of it.

Plus I played it first on the superior PC version anyway.

About the only Saturn Sonic game I have fond memories of was Sonic Jam. All of my other Saturn memories are Capcom's CPS2 ports, Sega's arcade ports, and Guardian Heroes.

And Saturn Bomberman. Man, that was a fun game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone on Gaming Side said that 2D games are moribund (dying) and they're not successful because no one wants to play 2D games (this was more directed to RPGs, but...). Anyone feel similarly in here? The platforming genre has a bunch of 2D games so I have to wonder how others feel about it.

This isn't just in terms of perspective, but the general aesthetics too.

Anyway, did anyone pick up the latest Sonic Universe? The ASR: Transformed issue. Debating on whether I should read it now or wait until I finish ASR:T.

On a separate note (Pertaining to Sonic), what is everyone's favorite tune from Sonic?
This question is too hard to answer.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Someone on Gaming Side said that 2D games are moribund (dying) and they're not successful because no one wants to play 2D games (this was more directed to RPGs, but...). Anyone feel similarly in here? The platforming genre has a bunch of 2D games so I have to wonder how others feel about it.

Retail platformers that aren't Mario or Sonic seem to be dead, at least :/ There are 2D platformers alive and well on DD services though.

This isn't just in terms of perspective, but the general aesthetics too.

"People didn't stop painting just because somebody figured out how to sculpt."

I hope 2D platformers don't die out. I enjoy them a lot more than 3D platformers. Even if a series started out on 2D and then progressed to 3D, I'll always want to stick with the 2D ones.

Emitan

*is hoping Dark Schala will check out at least the first 2 episodes of My Little Monster*

If anything, this generation has shown that people still love to create and play 2D platformers. The Wii's later years feel like early 90s again. Mascot platforming everywhere!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"People didn't stop painting just because somebody figured out how to sculpt."
I like that. Profound.

I personally wouldn't want them to be phased out either, regardless of what markets say or whatever nonsense people like to spout out (and I feel like they've been very successful this gen and returned with quite a force). 3D platformers and I didn't get along very well, and depending on the platformer design, they still don't get along well with me (ex: having to force myself through Super Mario Galaxy equipped with Gravol), so I certainly hope 2D platformers don't go away at all.

*is hoping Dark Schala will check out at least the first 2 episodes of My Little Monster*
I will do that this weekend when my exam week is over is finished destroying me inside.

I honestly think its harder to sell a 3D platformer than a 2D one. There will always be a market for 2D platformers; the downloadable market. When was the last time you guys saw a 3D platformer released exclusively as a download?

Sciz

2D platforming has been far healthier this generation than in the last, even if we exclude Nintendo entirely. The genre's not going anywhere.

Anyway, did anyone pick up the latest Sonic Universe? The ASR: Transformed issue. Debating on whether I should read it now or wait until I finish ASR:T.

I picked it and StH #241 up recently, just haven't written them up yet. You might as well go ahead and read it, it's very light on plot.

Billiechu said:
Y'know, as sad as it is that I can admit this, I think I actually recognize this artist. Kathy-Lu, correct? She used to frequent Sonic HQ around the same time I did.

Never did figure out the duck/platypus, though.

Did they also mention that you can play as Eggman the same way?

http://youtu.be/YGebZNZ2QEI

Also it sounds like this isn't just some kind of weird engine function for cutscenes or whatever, they might've actually been intended to be playable at one point:

The characters are definitely not using their normal input routines in cutscenes. If they were, they wouldn't be running in place so much. The main six characters, Eggman and Tikal are all loaded by the same function, all other NPCs have a separate loading function, are not given slots in the active character list, and do not have controller input processing in their routines.

Perhaps you were intended to play as Tikal during flashbacks. As for Eggman, uh... maybe at the start of Gamma's story?

qq more

He would've been more broken than Chaos and Gamma.

Really? I recalled him being a joke in Battle but then again it's been almost a decade since I last played it. My memory on the last bits of the game is really hazy.

Plus you can just make a new mech for him specifically for multiplayer!

I wish motion controls would go somewhere. :mad:
Even pointer controls?! Wiimote/Move >>>>> Dual Analogs for FPSes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom