• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish we had Toonami up here. We had some crude imitation but Toonami seems rather earnest.

Sciz said:
I don't think I've ever actually seen the anime version of the Buu arc, but at least in the manga, the whole thing came across as Toriyama taking the piss out of every single trope he'd spent the last decade codifying.
I got the feeling that Toriyama didn't really care much about the Buu Saga. It's pretty ridiculous, but it didn't come across as smart as what you're describing.

I should really read the DBZ manga past the Namek arc...

Has GameGrumps gotten better lately? I saw a few episodes and I kinda realized it wasn't for me. JonTron is pretty good in reviews, but here, I don't like him as much. While they seem to play off each other alright, I feel like JonTron dominates the discussion sometimes.

And Ego needs to give me another Sequelitis. >:|

Sciz

I got the feeling that Toriyama didn't really care much about the Buu Saga. It's pretty ridiculous, but it didn't come across as smart as what you're describing.

I could be reading too much into it, admittedly, but it's absolutely self aware. There's a point where Krillin breaks the fourth wall and mentions that things are getting pretty silly, and then a caricature of Toriyama appears just off panel and apologizes, after which the plot promptly resumes.

Now I'm kinda curious to see how the anime handled the arc, since I can see how its glacial pacing could throw off what is otherwise the sharpest writing in the whole series.

Anth0ny

I could be reading too much into it, admittedly, but it's absolutely self aware. There's a point where Krillin breaks the fourth wall and mentions that things are getting pretty silly, and then a caricature of Toriyama appears just off panel and apologizes, after which the plot promptly resumes.

Now I'm kinda curious to see how the anime handled the arc, since I can see how its glacial pacing could throw off what is otherwise the sharpest writing in the whole series.

Lots of fourth wall gags in the Buu Saga. I distinctly remember one relating to the recycling of panels while Goten and Trunks practice the fusion dance :lol

I hear a lot of people claim the Buu saga drags for too long... I can understand that. The only parts that really dragged for me were the Great Saiyaman stuff at the beginning (filler), and some of the Fat Buu stuff after Vegeta blows himself up (mainly him flying around blowing up cities). Once Super Buu comes into the picture, I think it really picks up and doesn't stop.

Buu saga would have benefited from Kai, but an even better alternative would be reading the manga. No pacing issues there.

TheOGB

Banned
I feel like, even with the filler aside, Buu saga was loooooooooong. I agree with Anth0ny
[insert quip here]
that it picks up when Super Buu happens, but there's still so much shit that happens. Maybe it's because I can mentally separate the earlier sagas better than I can the post-Frieza sagas; Android and Cell sagas get lumped together in my head, and then everything after that isn't GT is all one thing in my head as well.

I wonder if I'll get mentioned
uz7U1.png

I know for a fact Egoraptor has fav'd my video. Back in March I got a huge influx of comments like "EGORAPTOR SENT ME" and as far as I can tell it was because he added it to his favorites, which told all of his subscribers that he favorited it, which was enough to flood in 100+ comments over night.

Has GameGrumps gotten better lately? I saw a few episodes and I kinda realized it wasn't for me. JonTron is pretty good in reviews, but here, I don't like him as much. While they seem to play off each other alright, I feel like JonTron dominates the discussion sometimes.

And Ego needs to give me another Sequelitis. >:|

I watched all of their Goof Troop playthrough and thought it was the greatest damn thing but I can see how people would find them really annoying. It's mostly just giddy babbling and shouting a lot of the time.

Though for as hilarious as I found Goof Troop there's no way I'd sub to them because they put out way too many videos. Like, two hours every day! I already subscribe to too many channels on Youtube, no way I can fit two hours of those chucklefucks daily.

After some thinking, I've come to the conclusion that a week is too long to leave the survey up. I think over the weekend will be long enough.
I wonder if I'll get mentioned
uz7U1.png

I know for a fact Egoraptor has fav'd my video. Back in March I got a huge influx of comments like "EGORAPTOR SENT ME" and as far as I can tell it was because he added it to his favorites, which told all of his subscribers that he favorited it, which was enough to flood in 100+ comments over night.

I watched all of their Goof Troop playthrough and thought it was the greatest damn thing but I can see how people would find them really annoying. It's mostly just giddy babbling and shouting a lot of the time.

Though for as hilarious as I found Goof Troop there's no way I'd sub to them because they put out way too many videos. Like, two hours every day! I already subscribe to too many channels on Youtube, no way I can fit two hours of those chucklefucks daily.

So that's how people find that stuff out. I only have it set so the only notifications I get are when people upload things. I also agree that their Goof Troop videos are some of the best damn videos I have ever seen.

And as someone who is subscribed to them, it's not two hours each day. They upload two videos a day (which sometimes changes on the weekends to one), and they're typically 10 minutes long. The exceptions are the occasional VS. episodes and one-shots of particularly abysmal games like "Mary-Kate and Ashley's whatever-the-fuck-it-was-called," and "TMNT Tournament Fighters" (the latter of which contains one of my favorite moments of them singing). Plus they're playing through Return to Dreamland currently, which is a game that I didn't know existed, but must now hunt down. Or at least convince my Wii-owning friend to get so we can play.

So that's how people find that stuff out. I only have it set so the only notifications I get are when people upload things. I also agree that their Goof Troop videos are some of the best damn videos I have ever seen.

And as someone who is subscribed to them, it's not two hours each day. They upload two videos a day (which sometimes changes on the weekends to one), and they're typically 10 minutes long. The exceptions are the occasional VS. episodes and one-shots of particularly abysmal games like "Mary-Kate and Ashley's whatever-the-fuck-it-was-called," and "TMNT Tournament Fighters" (the latter of which contains one of my favorite moments of them singing). Plus they're playing through Return to Dreamland currently, which is a game that I didn't know existed, but must now hunt down. Or at least convince my Wii-owning friend to get so we can play.

Maybe it wasn't two hours, but I remember adding it up and it used to be 4 videos a day when they first started. I already get 3+ hours of stuff daily through my regular Youtube subs, AND I've been feeling like I watch way too much Youtube these days anyway, so there's just not enough room for a Grumps sub in my life.

Fun fact: Assuming I did my math right, and they earned a minimum of $50-$100 for every 100,000 views a video of theirs got, Ego and Jon might've made between $25,000 and $100,000 in advertising dollars in that first month of Game Grumps.

Obviously that's not a confirmation, but I've been in channels with Youtube Adsense and that seems to be a pretty safe estimate. Even if I'm off and they made half as much as my estimate, that's still enough for both Jon and Egoraptor to live off of - all because they spent a couple of weekends goofin' on old videogames.

TheOGB

Banned
After some thinking, I've come to the conclusion that a week is too long to leave the survey up. I think over the weekend will be long enough.

OH MY GOD, WHY DOES NO ONE KNOW ABOUT THIS??

I mean, there's an obvious reason why, but I just wanna know if I should shake my head at you or Nintendo. (I'll do both just to be sure)

Nert

Epic Yarn is on my shame list as well. I know that I would love it and I'll have to get around to it some day.

For now, I'm working on Final Fantasy V and Bayonetta. As you can imagine, they're basically the same game.

I wish I had a bunch of hidden gems lying in my house yet unplayed, i'm currently tapped out aside from playing Layton 5 at the moment and the rest of this year is surprisingly bare for me at least.

Though I feel I should mention specially for you Nert that the music in Epic Yarn is a delight.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've been thinking of putting up that album of cheesy Sonic-related 90s eurotrance ('They Call me Sonic' etc.) for download if anyone from SonicGAF wants it (I have an original copy so I'd rip it in whatever format you'd want). I need to clarify with a mod or Evilore if it would be OK first, but I can't see how it would be a problem since a) the record label that released the CD has been defunct for over a decade and b) the album isn't officially available for purchase anymore, and the chances of it getting a re-release are just slightly below a snowball's chance in Hell. So, anyone interested?

They call me Sonic, 'cause I am faster than sound, I keep on jumping around
Blue Hedgehog Sonic, with incredible speed, I'm moving my feet

How did such riveting lyrics not win a Grammy?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been thinking of putting up that album of cheesy Sonic-related 90s eurotrance ('They Call me Sonic' etc.) for download if anyone from SonicGAF wants it (I have an original copy so I'd rip it in whatever format you'd want). I need to clarify with a mod or Evilore if it would be OK first, but I can't see how it would be a problem since a) the record label that released the CD has been defunct for over a decade and b) the album isn't officially available for purchase anymore, and the chances of it getting a re-release are just slightly below a snowball's chance in Hell. So, anyone interested?
I'm totally game. Go for it. :)

Bet you they use Sonic 4 music again.
Sonic 4: Episode 2 music.

Which Zone had the worst music?

...I still need to get Kirby Return to Dreamland. I didn't even start Epic Yarn yet :(
I loooove Epic Yarn. It makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside and I used to play that game with a cup of cocoa while wrapped up in flannel jammies and covered in a faux wool blanket.

SO COZY.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They should get in talks with Combichristoffersen for that Sonic eurotrance.
Oh and that's a generous offer by the way Combi but I think i'll pass after my first experience with the stuff.

You are not appreciative of the true art and emotion put into such deep, heartfelt lyrics as 'I'm the king of the ring, come here and play with me. Me, the king of the ring, bringing you the energy'? Philistines, the lot of you!

:p

I'm totally game. Go for it. :)

I'll check with one of the mods if it would be OK to put up a link to my dropbox :)

As for Ep. II, I can't remember anything being as offensively bad as the music in Ep. I, actually.

I want to say Dying Duck Desert Act 2 but I have like musical Stockholm syndrome for it at this point, White Park Act 1 is pretty awful though.

I loooove Epic Yarn. It makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside and I used to play that game with a cup of cocoa while wrapped up in flannel jammies and covered in a faux wool blanket.

SO COZY.
Next time I play the game this is how i'm doing it.
Time to pick out some jammies.

You are not appreciative of the true art and emotion put into such deep, heartfelt lyrics as 'I'm the king of the ring, come here and play with me. Me, the king of the ring, bringing you the energy'? Philistines, the lot of you!

:p
Well when you put it that way...yeah i'm a philistine, I can't class up to its high standards.

Emitan

Epic Yarn is on my shame list as well. I know that I would love it and I'll have to get around to it some day.

For now, I'm working on Final Fantasy V and Bayonetta. As you can imagine, they're basically the same game.

Bayonetta makes more sense than Final Fantasy V. The writing in it is awful.

FFV isn't supposed to make sense. It's plot is not to be taken seriously at all.

Sonic 2 needs an online mode so I can beat friends in 2 player mode.

Nert

Bayonetta makes more sense than Final Fantasy V. The writing in it is awful.

I'll agree with that. Final Fantasy V's characters are terrible, the premise is boring, and worst of all, I have no real sense of place or setting. There is virtually nothing that feels distinctive about any of the environments that I've visited, and this is especially rough when one of the game's core ideas is
travelling to different worlds. I can barely tell them apart
. The only bit that I've found to be clever so far is
the "leveling up" at playing piano.

The job system is fun, though!

Also, I'm making too many off-topic posts here. How 'bout that Sonic, everyone?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
People are saying it's either the post he made here or it's because he spammed a same picture in a picture thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom