• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Beef has a survey? I feel compelled to fill this in, but I'm fighting between honest answers and just shitting all over it.

oh who am I kidding

qq more

The OST is a mix bag, but I'm leaning towards the JPN OST. I think the JPN game over theme is the worst game over theme I've ever heard in any game though. What the fuck was that?!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually have grown to lke both soundtracks.
So've I. I prefer the JP soundtrack, but I was listening to the US soundtrack while I was driving and doing errands today and I can't help but to feel like it was such a marvel back then.

Like, video game music with real instruments (which is basically the feeling that Sonic Boom gives me) was such a novelty then. Of course both Sonic CD soundtracks would be cherished.

TheOGB

Banned
Both soundtracks are pretty awesome

Speaking of music, I cannot stop listening to the Grind Race music from SA2B, which is preferable to actually playing the game right now :p

fake edit: I started playing some and now regret leaving the Sound Test xP

So uh...I forgot to close the test survey yesterday and I'm still getting responses. These ones stood out among the new ones, regarding the Nocturne question:

Why did you give me so much space to say I don't like it?
why is this text box bigger than the other one

Maybe I should close it...in other news, the REAL survey has gotten quite a bit of submissions. I'm definitely keeping that one open because more submissions are always welcome!

The JP soundtrack is very much OK. In fact, I love it.

I also like the US soundtrack too, but I dunno, the whole foofaraw over the soundtrack switcheroo kinda added this negative stigma to it. Not sure why, the music's good and all.

Anth0ny

Nope. Just like DBZ, the US soundtrack makes Sonic CD better.

kobevh7kft.gif

We'll agree to disagree on CD, then. I feel more objective about this considering I'm in Europe and thus have no horse in the JP vs US fight, though. :p

Cell Saga is my fave too, although I first started watching during Android Saga so I was a full blown fan by time Cell rolled around. Man that was an awesome part of my childhood.

Abridged is pretty cool, whatever you think of the actual show.

We'll agree to disagree on CD, then. I feel more objective about this considering I'm in Europe and thus have no horse in the JP vs US fight, though. :p
Aren't we technically on team JPN? because that's the soundtrack we got.

Besides, we all can agree that DBZ is shit... right?
I wouldn't call it shit but depsite being part of the generation that grew up with it i've never had much affinity for it and am sort of neutral towards it, i've always been a tad baffled by the overwhelming love it gets if i'm honest, it'll be interesting to see some years down the line if any of the more modern shows in the same style get as much nostalgic fondness wrapped around them.

On the other hand it has made for some fun multiplayer games for myself so I can't complain too much, BT3 is a classic for me.
And Cell is awesome, because he just is.

Abridged is pretty cool, whatever you think of the actual show.
I'll agree with this, hell you even get the condensed story told pretty well as well as some laughs, the easiest way to digest it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cell Saga is my fave too, although I first started watching during Android Saga so I was a full blown fan by time Cell rolled around. Man that was an awesome part of my childhood.
Part of the reason why I like the Cell Saga is because of Mr Satan Hercuuuule.

But it was mostly because that thing wouldn't die. I was a Dragonball fan before that, but I liked Cell as a villain more than Frieza. Cell just did things just because to survive before he started his tournament. And they did something good with Gohan's character at least.

Just to screw it all up in the next season. -_-

Kinda? OK, better phrasing: we didn't get a "tailor-made" soundtrack. Also I only played Sonic CD for the first time with the HD version's release.

Well that makes two of us, the correct way to play is to jump in and out of the options menu and create a super soundtrack comprised of both.

Menu/Special stage: US
Opening: US
PP: JPN
CC: US
TT: Either
QQ: JPN
WW: US
SS: JPN
MM: JPN

Of course this takes effort, there should've been a toggle option as you play the game if feasible.
So it's not the correct way to play at all.

Cell Saga Gohan is best Gohan.

Count me in as a fan of Faulconer's soundtrack as well. (I do like that one song used for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation in the JP OST, though.)

Nert

Cell Saga > Frieza Saga > Saiyan Saga >>>>>> Buu Saga >>>> Nothing else exists.

Part of what I liked about the Cell Saga was that nearly everyone was allowed to have an impressive moment. Even Tien did something useful! Gohan had a great arc, and Cell was a great villain, too (often outsmarting people and pitting them against each other).

In addition to ruining Gohan, the Buu Saga had some really cringe inducing humor. Piccolo playing angry instructor to the wacky hijinks of Goten and Trunks was beyond corny. It was also the saga that brought people back to life over and over again in a baffling manner... I still don't know why Goku and Vegeta were allowed to come back and fight Super Buu.

Cell Saga Gohan is best Gohan.

Count me in as a fan of Faulconer's soundtrack as well. (I do like that one song used for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation in the JP OST, though.)

Yep, I'm a Faulconer fan too. It's funny that you mention the JP theme for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, because this (Faulconer's version) was one of my favorite themes from the show.

I wouldn't call it shit but depsite being part of the generation that grew up with it i've never had much affinity for it and am sort of neutral towards it, i've always been a tad baffled by the overwhelming love it gets if i'm honest, it'll be interesting to see some years down the line if any of the more modern shows in the same style get as much nostalgic fondness wrapped around them.

I fully admit that 90% of my lingering fondness for the series is nostalgia
5% is for Final Flash
. I can't actually stomach unedited episodes of it (the pacing is abysmal), so I tend to just rewatch big moments on YouTube every once in a while. To the extent that you can draw comparisons between them, Avatar: The Last Airbender is a far superior show. I wonder what it would have been like to haven grown up with something like that instead of DBZ :0

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love the part where Goku takes the time to explain what SSJ, SSJ2 and SSJ3 are to Buu and proceeds to squat and scream at the top of his lungs for a third of an episode.
KuGsj.gif

I can't dislike it because I like the SSJ3 theme a lot.

Did I accidentally subscribe to AnimeGAF or something
This is relatively tame in comparison to AnimeGAF.

And I can't help but to think it's related anyway because Sonic seems really based on Dragonball Z. So many parallels.

btw, Hotline Miami's OST is blitzin' awesome and everyone should give it a shot.

No, we'd be discussing Schoolgirl Of Ambigious Age Who's Actually An Avacado Much To The Dismay Of Her Sexually Frustrated Teacher or Argggghhh More God Damn Mechs! Take Them You Fucking Whore instead if you did

Plus Dragon Ball is to Sonic what Astro Boy is to Mega Man, kinda.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic = Goku
Tails = Krillin
Knuckles = Piccolo
Shadow = Vegeta
Silver = Trunks
Amy = Chi Chi

Chaos Emeralds = Dragon Balls

Elise = Buu/Videl/Teenage Gohan/who gives a shit

Anth0ny

Buu Saga was so awful. It did had its moments though... such as the exploding Game Boy!

Buu Saga is NOT awful.

I don't understand where it got this reputation from. Did DB need another arc after the Cell saga? Probably not. But that doesn't make the Buu saga awful, or even bad. I thought it did a good job bringing back some of that more cheerful and comedic feeling back to the series that I think it lost since the Saiyan saga.

I'm rewatching it with my Dragon Box right now and thoroughly enjoying it. I wasn't a huge fan of Goku coming back and saving the day, but I thought Mr. Satan technically saving the universe was perfect. Vegeta had some of the best character development in the entire series during that arc, finally admitting that Goku is the best (which GT shits on, of course!). Although I'm not a huge fan of the design, Goku going SSJ3 and proceeding to layeth the smacketh down on Majin Buu's candy ass was fucking awesome.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... What did everyone expect? GT is awful, Buu saga is not.

this is all on topic cause sonic is a total dbz ripoff chaos emeralds are liek dragon balls super sonic is super sayan n hyper soni is ssj2 kthx

Nert

For no real reason, I had been watching DBZ clips on YouTube for the past day or so when I stumbled into this thread again. It's not like there are a lot of exciting new Sonic releases to discuss right now :p

btw, Hotline Miami's OST is blitzin' awesome and everyone should give it a shot.

Absolutely. It might be up there with Journey's for me.

No, we'd be discussing Schoolgirl Of Ambigious Age Who's Actually An Avacado Much To The Dismay Of Her Sexually Frustrated Teacher or Argggghhh More God Damn Mechs! Take Them You Fucking Whore instead if you did

This post is the best post.

I felt like the Buu Saga is where Funimation really felt like they had a handle on how to do their dub, so it will always have a soft spot in my heart as one of my favorite sagas. If I really sat down and watched something like Kai from start to finish I'd probably change my mind, though.

Also yes, Bruce Faulconer's music for the DBZ dub was pretty awesome, I think. It was kind of weird in earlier Sagas where there was music CONSTANTLY PLAYING OVER EVERYTHING, but again, by the Buu Saga, everything had kind of found its place and it was super cool.

I seriously wish Funi had kept Faulconer's score when they went back for subsequent redubs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never really liked the Buu Saga. I feel like it was repetitive and it overstayed its welcome. The 7 years later portion was incredibly distasteful as it served as a point of regression for Gohan's character--someone who they ended up building up for an entire season just to take the growth and torch-passing away to turn him into a coddled little wimp who barely has any social skills (when he seemed to have adequate social skills in the previous season).

The only really good things about it were: the tourney part--the humour was kind of reminiscent of older DB episodes, Hercule, and the SSJ3 thing. Overall, it was a very poor arc which didn't serve much purpose. It rendered the implied torch-passing from Goku to Gohan null and void.

And DBGT is bad. No question.

Sega1991 said:
I seriously wish Funi had kept Faulconer's score when they went back for subsequent redubs.
They didn't? Boooooooooo!

I grew up with several DBZ English dubs and I think Funi's my favourite out of the bunch (well, the Malay dub is awesome and they should win awards). When they finally got it together, it ended up being a great dub, and in some cases I prefer it over the JP dub. That's why I don't necessarily mind it when Funi gets licenses for bringing some anime overseas. The voice direction's gotten a lot better recently.

Absolutely. It might be up there with Journey's for me.
I still need to play this...

OMG Aero

The Buu saga had a series of episodes where Hercule and Buu got a house together and Hercule cooked for Buu and they generally acted like an old married couple so it's clearly the best saga.

It also had the most heart rending piece of TV ever where
the dog got shot

qq more

Buu Saga is NOT awful.

I don't understand where it got this reputation from. Did DB need another arc after the Cell saga? Probably not. But that doesn't make the Buu saga awful, or even bad. I thought it did a good job bringing back some of that more cheerful and comedic feeling back to the series that I think it lost since the Saiyan saga.

I'm rewatching it with my Dragon Box right now and thoroughly enjoying it. I wasn't a huge fan of Goku coming back and saving the day, but I thought Mr. Satan technically saving the universe was perfect. Vegeta had some of the best character development in the entire series during that arc, finally admitting that Goku is the best (which GT shits on, of course!). Although I'm not a huge fan of the design, Goku going SSJ3 and proceeding to layeth the smacketh down on Majin Buu's candy ass was fucking awesome.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... What did everyone expect? GT is awful, Buu saga is not.

this is all on topic cause sonic is a total dbz ripoff chaos emeralds are liek dragon balls super sonic is super sayan n hyper soni is ssj2 kthx

Buu Saga sucked because it dragged on for way too long.

And yeah, nothing is worse than GT. Fuck that was boring.

I've always thought the Buu Saga got a bit too dragged out (Even by DBZ standards), and that's what keeps me from liking it as much as the Androids & Cell Sagas.

It did have some amazing moments, though. And Toonami was really great about hyping people up for it.

Sciz

I never really liked the Buu Saga. I feel like it was repetitive and it overstayed its welcome.

I don't think I've ever actually seen the anime version of the Buu arc, but at least in the manga, the whole thing came across as Toriyama taking the piss out of every single trope he'd spent the last decade codifying. The series finally steps back and quietly asks questions like what is power really good for, what makes a true hero, are these burly screaming men really ridiculous, and a bunch of other little things in that vein. It's basically a deconstruction of the rest of the series, and to that end, it's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom