• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I think it looks fantastic. Granted, I've never really played the original level.

Is there any other fantastic looking mods for the game yet? Every other one I've seen didn't really impress me much.

ShadiWulf

LOL at the comments speculating Knuckles Chaotix as retail game. No way in fucking hell is that ever going to happen. And not to mention the game is a piece of shit, gameplay and level layout wise.

Iizuka has said hes wanted to make knuckles Chaotix 2, and with those toys coming out.. and with hunnid p coming back to do Knuckles music...

I don't think this would be the big boxed game though, probably one of the digital games.

qq more

Iizuka has said hes wanted to make knuckles Chaotix 2, and with those toys coming out.. and with hunnid p coming back to do Knuckles music...

I don't think this would be the big boxed game though, probably one of the digital games.

If they can make Knuckles Chaotix 2 and actually fix whats wrong with the first game... Day 1 (or wait til reviews)!

I honestly wanted to love the game when I replayed it in recent years (I loved the game as a kid) but man, it is so flawed in many ways. It does have a charm though...

ShadiWulf

If they can make Knuckles Chaotix 2 and actually fix whats wrong with the first game... Day 1 (or wait til reviews)!

I honestly wanted to love the game when I replayed it in recent years (I loved the game as a kid) but man, it is so flawed in many ways. It does have a charm though...

TEAM CHAOTIX!!!
This song would most definitely be in the game, you gotta remember this would be modern day game influenced by Iizuka :p

anyways, here is the quote

In an interview with Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka, GamesTM Magazine reaveals that the man behind upcoming titles Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Sonic Colours “would personally love to make a third NiGHTS game”.

Iizuka also reveals that he has considered making both Tails and Knuckles games in the past: “I actually considered making a game like Knuckles Chaotix at one point, but Sega has unfortunately not given me the green light to do so.”

Although there are no current plans to make either title, the interest of the head of Sonic Team could mean that there could be a possibility for the creation of these titles in the future; something that should give die-heard Knuckles & NiGHTS fans a small ray of hope.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2010/08...onsiderations-of-knuckles-chaotix-2-nights-3/

also wants to make NiGHTS 3

Well, I for one find a lot of the graphical effects pretty stunning. Higher color count, objects shattering into individual pixels, 3D rotation of shields and act clear signs, object scaling out the wazoo, etc. It's a really nice showcase of what the 32X could do for 2D games. Only problem is, the 32X really should never have existed in the first place, and really, most of this stuff was totally doable on the Saturn. Chaotix would've probably been killer app for it (wouldn't make it good magically or anything, but people would see "hey cool exclusive Sonic game" and go "want").

qq more

Well, I for one find a lot of the graphical effects pretty stunning. Higher color count, objects shattering into individual pixels, 3D rotation of shields and act clear signs, object scaling out the wazoo, etc. It's a really nice showcase of what the 32X could do for 2D games. Only problem is, the 32X really should never have existed in the first place, and really, most of this stuff was totally doable on the Saturn. Chaotix would've probably been killer app for it (wouldn't make it good magically or anything, but people would see "hey cool exclusive Sonic game" and go "want").

There were a lot of good things about the game, I agree. And yeah... 32x shouldn't really exist.

It's a shame that the gameplay was really broken and unpolished and the level layout was just kind of... lazily put together. Graphics, music and special stages were all great though.

ShadiWulf

In other Sonic related news, Sonic CD is coming to Windows Phone Nov 14th.

Ken Balough is ecstatic about this news

Hi Guys!

It's been a long time coming, but I am happy to announce that Sonic CD will come to Windows Phone 7 & 8 on November 14th.

Im sure you all have some questions so let me tackle a few:

Ken, what if I have a Windows 7 phone and upgrade?
Well fortunatly the game works for both, so when you get your Windows 8 phone, you can still play

Ken, what if i have a Windows 8 phone, can I also play it on Windows 7 phones?
Yes- but why would you go back - Windows 8 phones are so much better!

Ken, when on earth is Episode II coming out on Winows Phones?
We are working on it - but nothing to annunce just yet.

Ken - seriously - how is Halo 4?
Amazing - in fact, after you buy Sonic CD for your phone, go play it this weekend!

Lijik

There were a lot of good things about the game, I agree. And yeah... 32x shouldn't really exist.

It's a shame that the gameplay was really broken and unpolished and the level layout was just kind of... lazily put together. Graphics, music and special stages were all great though.

I always thought it was really weird that the opening set of levels had some co-op moments and then game drops them entirely for endless amounts of "Work together to get up this loop!"

New Sonic Unleashed Generations video! Arid Sands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJt4_aLgZAs

For reference, the original level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlX-UrV-Os

I'm not so sure that level fits well in to Sonic Generations. The port looks great, and I love how more vibrant the colors are (the original Arid Sands is kind of a dull, washed out level in Unleashed), but I feel like the Sonic Unleashed level is one of the levels that has a tangible sense of being on the edge of losing control because you're going SO fast and interacting with a lot of stuff at the same time.

In the Generations engine, Sonic is noticeably slower and certain level interactions are... less frenetic. Which I'm sure some will really like, but as somebody who thinks Sonic Unleashed was at its best at that razor's edge of speed, it is not nearly as thrilling.

But again, probably not really a fault of the porting job itself. :p

My problem is the first part of it is just a bit too similar to Rooftop Run. I know the city doesn't look exactly like Rooftop Run but the layout of it reminds me of it a bit so I was bored for a bit there. It gets its legs later on in the non town stages which I love but still...

I see the original had this as well so...oh well! I just wish the level as a whole went more with the desert theme! Kind of a bland level...I expect greatness like Sandopolis!

Oh my goodness, just saw Savanna Citadel...now that is a great looking level but I'm a bit biased in that regard.

TheOGB

Banned

:O

Want
for teh suck

Lijik

I feel like a new Chaotix that was a digital game that completely went all in on the idea it was going to be a co-op platformer and also embraced its 90s as fuck aesthetic and old-fashioned design ideas (like giving a score for finding "secrets" like some kinda DOS platformer) might have a chance of being decent.

I doubt they'll do either

Those Chaotix figures come with the heroes communication device, oh gee whiz, adding this to the Shadi theory, maybe they're making Knuckles Chaotix 2: Mission Madness.
Messy Sonic CD style layouts to house Heroes collectathons, Chaotix connected characters, rap music.
All together in one game!

qq more

Alright, so I'm playing Emerald Ties (qq more's game) and here are my thoughts on it so far. (About to play the first snow area)

Music is pretty decent, I'm actually a little surprised for a fangame. Perhaps I shouldn't take fangames lightly from now on?
Nice sprite work, appealing animations.
The physics are a little heavy on your initial startup, it's not Sonic 4, but it does make your movements kinda sluggish in a way. Nothing horrible or anything, it's perfectly playable.
Great spinball mechanic, I think this is executed perfectly.
Coming out of water has the right gravity when popping out, and it was nice to see.

Fire shield works well, it goes in a straight line unlike Sonic 3 which causes you to fall, but still nice.
Sonic in a way plays kinda like SMB3 Mario (Not exactly, but I'm using the control as a reference) I think it should be a little more loose like SMW, but decent enough. I guess what I'm saying is more control after you jump in a direction. Like, let's say you hold right direction and jump, but suddenly you want to land on a platform and hold left, Sonic's direction on his initial jump has more control over the handling once you jump, so it's a little harder to get on platforms

Level design is kinda nice, it rewards your quick reactions and isn't cheap.
Loop-de-loops work perfect
Rain could be a little better on the third act, but it was nice to see!

Probably could use a different sound for the text-box chatting, not that I dislike NES sounds or anything. Just a softer tone maybe.
Bubble Shield works decently too.
Nice touch on the second area where you land on the platform and it makes a slight dip.
The spinning platforms (the ones where you do a 360 and then you jump) are fun

As for one solid complaint, at Act 3 of Relic Retreat, I ended up getting to a certain part where the lava starts rising and there are two floating platforms going up and right. I couldn't seem to jump high enough to make the platform on the left side. I didn't die at all until this level, but I lost all my lives trying to get past it. Oddly enough, when I started my file it put me in the snow area so I'm playing that now.

I probably didn't realize something, but yeah. However, I did like how that part of the level was S3-esque, and before that part I was having fun with the level.

Either way, I haven't played a lot of fangames, but this is my favorite one so far and I'll go work on beating the rest now.
Thanks for the critique! Also, this is the first I've heard of the bolded. I'll tell the creator of the fan game about this (even though I'm the level designer of the stage). Seems really weird that's happening! Hopefully the adjustment on the gravity in the upcoming (yet so late) revised demo will take care of this.

Also as far as other fangames go, I recommend Sonic Before The Sequel since it's one of the few finished games that is really solid. The upcoming After The Sequel is really good too from what I've played!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah Before the Sequel and After the Sequel are really good. Go for those next. Before the Sequel is kind of empty, but After the Sequel is better.

And Sonic Fusion seems like it'll eternally be in demo state. This year's demo wasn't as meaty as last year's. What's going on with that one? I mean, the gameplay's decent, so I don't see why this year's demo was scaled back.

Also, maybe it's because Sakuraba's using similar brass-esque samples but man these sound like they could fit into Unleashed like a hand into a glove. If you don't want to be spoiled on Xillia 1/2, I wouldn't click because the related videos are mean and like to spoil things.)
Tales of Xillia 2 - Break the Time Factor
Tales of Xillia 2 - The Time to Counterattack has Come

Speaking of Sonic fangames, has there been one good one that's expanded on the Sonic 3 2 player stages and made them look good? Because Chrome Gadget is gorgeous and there is potential for Balloon Park.

Heroes music is better.
Heroes is pretty unremarkable outside of a few select themes like Seaside Hill, Ocean Palace and Frog Forest.
I'd say both CD soundtracks handily decimate Heroes score.

Also, maybe it's because Sakuraba's using similar brass-esque samples but man these sound like they could fit into Unleashed like a hand into a glove. If you don't want to be spoiled on Xillia 1/2, I wouldn't click because the related videos are mean and like to spoil things.)
Tales of Xillia 2 - Break the Time Factor
Tales of Xillia 2 - The Time to Counterattack has Come
I guess there's a few vibes that remind me of a less bombastic Egg Dragoon battle theme but i'm not seeing too much of a link, Sakuraba's distinct sound is still pretty noticeable to me, unless it's Dark Souls, I still find it weird that he scored that one.

On a slightly related note I finally picked up Tale of Graces F today after diving in on a price drop, as you say the combat system does seem a lot more interesting and involved but has the Abyss cast met their match in the ho-hum cast department? only time will tell!

I'd say Heroes music is remarkable then, and it certainly decimates!

Well we're at a stalemate for like the umpteenth time!
Though I would be intrigued to know what you consider the best tracks.
I mean I don't consider it a bad soundtrack just a pretty unmemorable one.

qq more

Speaking of Sonic fangames, has there been one good one that's expanded on the Sonic 3 2 player stages and made them look good? Because Chrome Gadget is gorgeous and there is potential for Balloon Park.

There's one with online racing called Sonic Fusion. It's a decent fan game with some flaws, but its quite good. Anyone up for it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kokonoe, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on various aspects of Heroes, lol.

I'm not saying the soundtrack's bad, but it's not among my favourites in the series. >.>

I guess there's a few vibes that remind me of a less bombastic Egg Dragoon battle theme but i'm not seeing too much of a link, Sakuraba's distinct sound is still pretty noticeable to me, unless it's Dark Souls, I still find it weird that he scored that one.
I was mostly referring to the brass samples and I was thinking of stuff like Titan and Big Mother. Eh. *shrug*

On a slightly related note I finally picked up Tale of Graces F today after diving in on a price drop, as you say the combat system does seem a lot more interesting and involved but has the Abyss cast met their match in the ho-hum cast department? only time will tell!
Considering I wanted to destroy the majority of Abyss's cast, especially that stupid mascot character, Graces felt better for me in that I was indifferent to the characters (which is a reasonably good thing for Tales), but as you know, a lot of GAF disagrees.

But you already know narrative/characterization in Tales is not important to me; battles/growth/ability systems are. Tales's strongest suit has never been its story. Ever. I've seldom played a Tales game where I thought the story was consistent or something I liked throughout.

qq more

Kokonoe, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on various aspects of Heroes, lol.

I'm not saying the soundtrack's bad, but it's not among my favourites in the series. >.>

I was mostly referring to the brass samples and I was thinking of stuff like Titan and Big Mother. Eh. *shrug*

Considering I wanted to destroy the majority of Abyss's cast, especially that stupid mascot character, Graces felt better for me in that I was indifferent to the characters (which is a reasonably good thing for Tales), but as you know, a lot of GAF disagrees.

But you already know narrative/characterization in Tales is not important to me; battles/growth/ability systems are. Tales's strongest suit has never been its story. Ever. I've seldom played a Tales game where I thought the story was consistent or something I liked throughout.
MIEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Firrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jade and Guy were probably the most likeable characters in Abyss, which isn't saying much (but Jade is seriously cool). Tear and Natalia were okay. Luke went from asshat to okay to fucking whiny. And Anise... oh god.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GARRRRRAAAAAGH. Don't start. It already kills me inside that Mieu is one of the favourite mascot characters in Japan. Hate it. The worst thing is that Mieu's voice is equally annoying in Japanese.

Omochao is more endearing. Omochao. Because I can throw Omochao around and his voice doesn't piss me off outside of the one time he was voiced by Laura Bailey but no one cares about that.

We have an unanswered question from Heroes' ending, though... Did the Chaotix end up catching Robotnik and breaking his legs because he didn't pay his debt to them?

Now I wont have you slandering these great stories, like when Symphonia threw plot twists upon plot twists to the point of madness and when Vesperia fell apart in the final third, okay maybe you have a point here.
I've noticed that regarding Tales plots, it isn't actually about me liking the story so to speak but liking the central cast that have to carry the cliche filled calamity on their backs.

MIEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Firrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jade and Guy were probably the most likeable characters in Abyss, which isn't saying much (but Jade is seriously cool). Tear and Natalia were okay. Luke went from asshat to okay to fucking whiny. And Anise... oh god.
Close, my rankings go something like.

Goodish Tier
Jade for being an occasionally enjoyable smartarse
Tear for being normal and a step above bland

Intriguing Tier
Jerk Luke, he whines but it's a different angle at least

Bland Tier
Guy, his blandness is secretly revealed in his name
Natalia, boooooring.

John Cena Tier
Good Luke, it's fine if you hate him, he's just going to ignore you and smirk away because he's such a good guy, look how good he is! "Rise Above Hate" indeed.

Annoying as fuck tier
Anise, boooooooooooooo
Mieu, shut up thing

Ion tier
Ion, FUCKING ION URRRGGGGGGH!

We have an unanswered question from Heroes' ending, though... Did the Chaotix end up catching Robotnik and breaking his legs because he didn't pay his debt to them?
Sonic can't even catch Eggers when he starts a runnin', even swag walk Vector has no hope.

That reminds me I can't even remember Sonic Heroes music much. I have to listen again before I say that statement now...stupid me...=(

And I'm watching a playthrough of Sonic before the Sequel and did they really just bring back the Fuzzies from Yoshi's Island? I mean...that...I mean that's cool and all but it's like they threw in the kitchen sink. And that special stage is hard on my eyes. I'm gonna keep watching though!

Kokonoe

Banned
Well we're at a stalemate for like the umpteenth time!
Though I would be intrigued to know what you consider the best tracks.
I mean I don't consider it a bad soundtrack just a pretty unmemorable one.

Do you mind if I'm lazy this time? I'm trying to get my will back for proper debating. =/

Favorite track and one of my favorites in the entire Sonic series. unse unse unse unse
Team Dark [ This Machine ]

Come along for the ride.
Truth can run but not hide.
For all,
the gaaaaaaaame is ooooon now.
Team Chaotix

I don't care what you're thinking, as you turn to me
Cause what I have in my two hands is enough to set me free (I guess my posts on GAF?)
What I'm Made OF

dat beat yo
Mystic Mansion

I can post more I like in a bit.

I'm not saying the soundtrack's bad, but it's not among my favourites in the series. >.

Well, qqmore likes the OST too! Now I don't think Heroes as a game is that great anymore, I just liked Neo Metal Sonic and the game's music a lot. I can't say Heroes as game is positively fantastic like I can with Sonic Adventure games.

But yes, just keep in mind that I'm a Jun Senoue/Crush 40 fan, and his style of music is what I like.

qq more

...Coincidentally, I started listening to Hang Castle's theme while forgetting about this discussion.

That reminds me I can't even remember Sonic Heroes music much. I have to listen again before I say that statement now...stupid me...=(

And I'm watching a playthrough of Sonic before the Sequel and did they really just bring back the Fuzzies from Yoshi's Island? I mean...that...I mean that's cool and all but it's like they threw in the kitchen sink. And that special stage is hard on my eyes. I'm gonna keep watching though!

I hope you're watching the 2012 edition of BtS because the Fuzzy music in Act 3 is hilarious.

Sciz

Heroes has a lot of good music as long as you ignore most of Senoue's tracks.

Robotnik can outrun anything, he's fine.

Their whole ending cutscene was great, though. It's a shame that the Chaotix are the most annoying team to play, because they've got the best writing in the game by a long shot.

edit: They also have a bumpin' theme song

Do you mind if I'm lazy this time? I'm trying to get my will back for proper debating. =/

Favorite track and one of my favorites in the entire Sonic series. unse unse unse unse
Team Dark [ This Machine ]

Come along for the ride.
Truth can run but not hide.
For all,
the gaaaaaaaame is ooooon now.
Team Chaotix

I don't care what you're thinking, as you turn to me
Cause what I have in my two hands is enough to set me free (I guess my posts on GAF?)
What I'm Made OF

dat beat yo
Mystic Mansion

I can post more I like in a bit.
No need to debate at all, i'm not in the mood right now for that anyway myself.
Mystic Mansion is actually a lot funkier than I remember, my memory of the theme was extinguished along with 70 torches.
Team Chaotix and Metal Overlord are solid lyrical themes as well, was never a fan of This Machine, i'd genuinely listen to the Team Rose theme over it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kokonoe said:
But yes, just keep in mind that I'm a Jun Senoue/Crush 40 fan, and his style of music is what I like.
Hey, now Crush 40's good. Guilty pleasure.

Free is better than the original Free Riders version. And Knight of the Wind is super-ridiculously catchy. And I love What I'm Made Of.

Now I wont have you slandering these great stories, like when Symphonia threw plot twists upon plot twists to the point of madness and when Vesperia fell apart in the final third, okay maybe you have a point here.
I've noticed that regarding Tales plots, it isn't actually about me liking the story so to speak but liking the central cast that have to carry the cliche filled calamity on their backs.
The only decent cast of characters I li...hm. Was there a Tales game where I genuinely liked everyone? I know it's a dumb question to ask because the series is tropes tropes everywhere, but I don't think there's a single Tales game where I like the entire cast. Xillia 2's story is at least interesting and is rather emotionally-driven. One of the better ones so far, but that could fall apart when I get towards the end... as usual in Tales games. :/

Sonic can't even catch Eggers when he starts a runnin', even swag walk Vector has no hope.
But I thought Sonic was the fastest thing alive! That's what the song said!

The song can't be lying.

Eggman has perma-speed shoes.

Their whole ending cutscene was great, though.
All set to a lovely piano tune.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ocean Palace

Lost Jungle

Rail Canyon

okay, yeah I definitely like Heroes OST more haha.

No need to debate at all, i'm not in the mood right now for that anyway myself.
Mystic Mansion is actually a lot funkier than I remember, my memory of the theme was extinguished along with 70 torches.
Team Chaotix and Metal Overlord are solid lyrical themes as well, was never a fan of This Machine, i'd genuinely listen to the Team Rose theme over it.

I guess people just need to refresh themselves with the OST then! and yes, Mystic Mansion is funky fresh, hip hop rad, totally tubular, killa beats and....okay I'll stop.

To be honest, if I don't play a game more than once, I tend to forget it's OST unless I search up the music when I do. I didn't realize I liked Heroes OST until 2-3 years ago.

Hey, now Crush 40's good. Guilty pleasure.

Free is better than the original Free Riders version. And Knight of the Wind is super-ridiculously catchy. And I love What I'm Made Of.

yesssssss. By the way, this reminds me that someone one time made a joke about "Sonic and the Dark Night", and how the goal of the game was to restore electricity to the world. So, I posted some kind of gear device and I said "featuring the trademark song, Knight of the Wind!"
the puns the puns the puns.

qq more

Ocean Palace's song is also damn awesome. Loved that they managed to sneak that in Generations!

Also, uhhh... is there any special stages in Tails' Adventure?

The only decent cast of characters I li...hm. Was there a Tales game where I genuinely liked everyone? I know it's a dumb question to ask because the series is tropes tropes everywhere, but I don't think there's a single Tales game where I like the entire cast. Xillia 2's story is at least interesting and is rather emotionally-driven. One of the better ones so far, but that could fall apart when I get towards the end... as usual in Tales games. :/
Series tradition must be met, brace yourself for impact.
Though to answer the cast question, Vesperia had a cast I liked across the board, they even made the kid character tolerable.
No doubt ruined in the PS3 version with pint size pirate.

But I thought Sonic was the fastest thing alive! That's what the song said!

The song can't be lying.

Eggman has perma-speed shoes.
Eggman's got those ostrich like legs, Stubby old sonic can't match that.

"that slimeball!"

Ocean Palace

I guess people just need to refresh themselves with the OST then! and yes, Mystic Mansion is funky fresh, hip hop rad, totally tubular, killa beats and....okay I'll stop.

To be honest, if I don't play a game more than once, I tend to forget it's OST unless I search up the music when I do. I didn't realize I liked Heroes OST until 2-3 years ago.
Ocean Palace is my stand out track from the game, now lets not mention the word tubular again lest I be reminded of a certain platforming stage that causes me much grief.

Sciz

The best track in Heroes no one remembers: Nakagawa's Battle - City Area. There's also the original version of Casino Park, which was unfortunately a few years too early to hit the chiptune renaissance and got reworked into a preview of Senoue's cat synth collection.

I was thinking more of their route's ending, but their bit in the final scene was nice too.

...I'm remembering both of them somewhat more fondly than a rewatch tells me I should be.

Mentioning the piano track gives me an idea, though.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ocean Palace's song is also damn awesome. Loved that they managed to sneak that in Generations!

Ocean Palace is my stand out track from the game, now lets not mention the word tubular again lest I be reminded of a certain platforming stage that causes me much grief.

Yes, Ocean Palace reigns supreme.

Are you talking about Super Mario World? Because...yeah.

No No no no no! bad memories! i hate that zone >.> and to think iizuka said that he wishes that zone could of been in Generations .. ugh

Rails, rails everywhere. I recall disliking that level too, but I think there was a harder level in the game I think.

Frog Forest and Ocean Palace are the only two tracks I like from Heroes. Oh, and the Special Stage theme. (Not the Emerald Challenge, the other one.)

TheOGB

Banned
Heroes actually has quite a few great tracks, but again, not the most memorable. Seaside Hill, Ocean Palace, Frog Forest, Lost Jungle, Hang Castle, Mystic Mansion, Rail Canyon, Egg Fleet, Egg Albatross, Egg Emperor, What I'm Made Of, Team Chaotix, This Machine, hilariously unfitting ending music...

I actually like Bullet Station despite how little there is to it. That's kinda where some of the other tracks are at; they're alright, but not much to them (Robot Carnival/Storm, the second metropolis zone). Then the others aren't really that great at all/are forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom