• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well, the Genesis version isn't too bad... didn't play the GG version, but I've heard it was pretty awful.

GG version is indeed awful, but I think the Mega Drive version is pretty damn bad too. Stiff controls, butt-ugly Sonic sprite and mediocre graphics, and pinball gameplay that just isn't fun at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, I dug these up from my Facebook so they'll have crappy quality. Oh Tails and the Music Maker. Since taking these pics, I restored my Pico so the yellow pad is there now, and it has a brand new stylus.

I only remember it having a nice version of Pachelbel's Canon (though I was little at the time, so my memories of it might be more positive and biased as opposed to objective. Edit: Yeah, I was young. That's an acceptable version. It isn't very good. Must've been the time I fell in love with the piece, then.). I remember the pinball game being super-shitty. Edit: Here's a lovely video!

HCp9a.jpg
3mpgd.jpg

9uGoh.jpg
VbiGh.jpg

Sonic Spinball's fine as long as you stop after you finish Toxic Caves. Anything after that and you start running in to levels that feel way too big and complex for the format of a pinball table.

I've never made it out of the toxic caves, if spinball is on the megadrive/genesis collection I may have to revisit it at some point and regret my decision when falling in the mouth of a crocodile or whatever it was.

Actually, I disagree, on the grounds that The Machine was probably my favorite level from the game.

The Showdown was pretty ass, though.

OMG Aero

While we are talking about Sonic Spinball, has anyone ever completed that game? And I mean legit. No glitches, cheating or save states.

I have never heard of anyone doing so.

While we are talking about Sonic Spinball, has anyone ever completed that game? And I mean legit. No glitches, cheating or save states.

I made it up to the level after Lava Powerhouse, whatever it is (The Machine?)

As I recall it's full of lots of "Whoops you took one wrong turn and now you're dead" stuff.

I made it up to the level after Lava Powerhouse, whatever it is (The Machine?)

As I recall it's full of lots of "Whoops you took one wrong turn and now you're dead" stuff.
If it's really The Machine you're thinking of, no, not really. The only place you can die is at the very bottom-center of the stage, which is surprisingly easy to avoid; everything else just punts you down a level. Contrast with Toxic Caves, where the upper levels all have insta-kill pits, or The Showdown, where everywhere on the bottom part of the stage is lethal, and remarkably easy to fall into.

I have. Only once. I for some reason tried to do it a second time, but got to the final level with no lives, not enough points for a continue, and died within 10 seconds.

Never touched it again.

J@hranimo

Banned
Sonic Spinball is frustrating! I couldn't figure out how to get the last emerald on The Machine...yeah I suck lol. I only got to the Showdown with the final boss unlock from Sonic Gems Collection. Couldn't figure that out either. One day I'll beat that game.

Bleh, all this Spinball talk has put the Toxic Caves song in my head. Now you will all suffer with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEfadBoE70

Why would you "suffer" with that music when you can "suffer" awesomely with the awesome song from The Machine?

I played spinball before and hated it and that first level.

Why did that have to be a genesis game again? It should have been a real pinball table in real life with just one level.

EDIT: I was looking through some of the related videos in those links when I stumbled across this ancient little trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbnZa9H6go

Ahhh, I wish I saw that back then to be part of the hype.

EuroMIX

I was sort of kidding, but did you actually watch the speedrun videos I quoted?

I have asper-wait actually I won't mention that because the last time I did on a forum some guy gave me flak. Um, sarcasm doesn't always translate well on the internet and I honestly didn't read any from your post.

And no, I haven't watched anything linked due to not having time, sorry.

To be clear on what I mean, for the longest time I've wondered what a Sonic game would be like if it had areas and abilities more like Spider-man 2. That's essentially what I'm thinking about; giving Sonic more parkour. Whether it's a good idea or not I don't know. It would be nice if Sonic's momentum was based more on movement and abilities than, possible just, things like rails and dash powers/panels. In most 2D games Sonic did manipulate the environment somewhat, but a lot of it was down to controlling him directly.

I actually threw together a basic level order concept for another Storybook game based on Sinbad and the Seven Seas, but another Storybook game would probably never be made and I doubt that anyone would be interested anyway.

I have asper-wait actually I won't mention that because the last time I did on a forum some guy gave me flak. Um, sarcasm doesn't always translate well on the internet and I honestly didn't read any from your post.

And no, I haven't watched anything linked due to not having time, sorry.
Basically, if you would've looked at the things I actually linked to, my post would've explained itself when you saw Sonic running up trees and the sides of walls in ways the developers probably didn't intend. And the videos were about two minutes each, so if you had the time to write out your idea in detail like you did, you had time to watch and understand my reply, instead of responding to the text only and missing the point.

For some insane reason, while home sick for about a week when I was in junior high, I actually played through and completed both the Genesis and Game Gear versions of Spinball. To this day, I have no idea how I managed that.

For some insane reason, while home sick for about a week when I was in junior high, I actually played through and completed both the Genesis and Game Gear versions of Spinball. To this day, I have no idea how I managed that.

My mom could get further than I can. She doesn't play video games much, but she was a monster at Spinball.

This is befitting of someone going by the name 'Seven Force'.

Kokonoe

Banned
Not sure if you guys have been viewing the Sonic 4 section on SEGA forums lately, but it's been admitted a few times by the PR that "Sonic 4" isn't suppose to be a "Classic Sonic" game, just have certain elements from it.

However, we all know how they marketed the game. Either way, this is one of the posts.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?399136-Hello-Everyone-Back-from-LA!/page28

Hey guys, I just want to step in before the thread is turns into a tussle...

Copley, you are one of the most articulate Sonic fans we have. I'm sorry if you felt misled when we said Sonic 4 Ep 2 will have aspects that appeal to classic fans - we did not meant it is a game "only for classic fans." It's a game for all Sonic fans, and does have some "classic" inspired gameplay, but also has elements that will appeal to modern-era fans. No disrespect was meant by the comment that you would enjoy Sonic CD more - it honestly sounds like it would be more up your alley.

Everyone else, I am genuinely happy that the gameplay footage has given you heightened interest in Episode 2. We can't wait for you to be able to play for yourself.

The thread itself contains a lot of responses from the PR as well. (And apparently i'm no longer a Junior now.)

qq more

Whatever Sega. I'll just look forward to the next Sonic Team game since Colors and Generation were good.

By the way, to those who follows archie Sonic comics... Is Sonic Legacy Graphic Novel Vol #1 a great place to start?

EuroMIX

Basically, if you would've looked at the things I actually linked to, my post would've explained itself when you saw Sonic running up trees and the sides of walls in ways the developers probably didn't intend. And the videos were about two minutes each, so if you had the time to write out your idea in detail like you did, you had time to watch and understand my reply, instead of responding to the text only and missing the point.

With all due respect, this post comes off as unnecessarily callous, especially since I was very forthcoming about my reasons and not just blatantly ignoring what you were saying. Try assuming good faith instead of assuming the worst.

The bolded explains it all. I'm talking about a game designed that way on purpose; maybe you're missing the point as well?

Seriously, this confrontational attitude helps nobody; why can't we all just be friends and take people on their word?

Hey guys, I just want to step in before the thread is turns into a tussle...

Copley, you are one of the most articulate Sonic fans we have. I'm sorry if you felt misled when we said Sonic 4 Ep 2 will have aspects that appeal to classic fans - we did not meant it is a game "only for classic fans." It's a game for all Sonic fans, and does have some "classic" inspired gameplay, but also has elements that will appeal to modern-era fans. No disrespect was meant by the comment that you would enjoy Sonic CD more - it honestly sounds like it would be more up your alley.

Everyone else, I am genuinely happy that the gameplay footage has given you heightened interest in Episode 2. We can't wait for you to be able to play for yourself.

Sega's Sonic fanbase consists of the 85% people who like classic and hate modern, the 10% of the people who like modern and classic, the 4% of people who like modern and hate classic, and the 1% that likes Sonic 06.

Pick one Sega.

J@hranimo

Banned

Hooray they got to Planet Wisp!

I still wow at how good the level looks in Generations. So beautiful. The first 2/3 of Modern Planet Wisp is probably one of my favorite parts of the Modern gameplay experience in the game. That last part though....ugh. Classic was too reliant on the spike wisp so the entire level was brought down because of it, somewhat enjoyable when you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom