• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCha

I believe you frequently complained about Giant Bomb for no good reason.

GiantBomb are anti-Sonic; Jeff doesn't like anything post-Sonic 2. I was probably wishing they would do a review, because Ryan might have actually liked it. GB is all about doing stuff they want to do, though, so no surprise when they didn't do a review (and I wasn't expecting them to).

Lijik

GiantBomb are anti-Sonic; Jeff doesn't like anything post-Sonic 2. I was probably wishing they would do a review, because Ryan might have actually liked it. GB is all about doing stuff they want to do, though, so no surprise when they didn't do a review (and I wasn't expecting them to).

"Agenda" "Anti-Sonic"
Dude its not politics.
Its Sonic games.

"Agenda" "Anti-Sonic"
Dude its not politics.
Its Sonic games.

He is, to a certain degree, right, however. Ryan's crazy Sonic 4 rant was pretty stupid, regardless of how the game itself actually turned out. The level of offense he displayed simply at the idea that they were making any game called "Sonic 4" was so out of left field and so over the top that it was more bewildering than it was amusing.

Especially from a guy who gave Sonic Heroes a 7/10 (Which by Gamespot's standards then was, "hey this game is pretty good").

I've given up on Jeff, though. Dude's got weird taste in everything. Doesn't like Back to the Future, doesn't like Jurassic Park, thought Donkey Kong 64 was the best DKC game, and openly admitted to liking Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. The most polite thing I can say is that his opinions do not gel with mine at all.

But that's fine. He's a funny guy. So's most of GiantBomb. That's all that really matters, in the end.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've given up on Jeff, though. Dude's got weird taste in everything. Doesn't like Back to the Future, doesn't like Jurassic Park, thought Donkey Kong 64 was the best DKC game, and openly admitted to liking Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. The most polite thing I can say is that his opinions do not gel with mine at all.

If you're talking about the recent game, I have no problem seeing why. I got the first episode for free, and it was so mindnumbingly dull I couldn't even be arsed to finish it. If you're talking about the movies, then yeah, he's insane.

He's probably talking about the films. Jeff is the guy who doesn't like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4, after all, which makes me feel like he went through some heavy shit last gen.

Anyway, GB's treatment of Generations was fine. They had a mostly positive QL, and the lack of review is easy to explain when you consider that they have a small team, none of them have a strong affinity for Sonic games in the first place, and Generations was supposed to be a sack of shit, so why would they spend more resources than necessary covering it?

Lijik

He is, to a certain degree, right, however. Ryan's crazy Sonic 4 rant was pretty stupid, regardless of how the game itself actually turned out. The level of offense he displayed simply at the idea that they were making any game called "Sonic 4" was so out of left field and so over the top that it was more bewildering than it was amusing.

I dunno I remember the rant being about how they were trying to sucker people into thinking it was like classic Sonic and preying on Nostalgia.

Which is what Sonic 4's marketing tried to do to a T.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm going have to eventually get Sonic Heroes given that it's cheap as hell nowadays.
On the topic of Heroes, I guess I don't talk about it much because the game just makes me absolutely nauseous.

It's too bad. :/

A friend pushed me to start a Tumblr on the promise I'd post the dumbest comments I get on my Sonic 2006 video. If you guys are interested:

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/tagged/stupid-youtube-comments
YES. You should sift through some of the older ones for the real funnies. I still can't believe people still defend it nearly six years later. :O

He's probably talking about the films. Jeff is the guy who doesn't like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4, after all, which makes me feel like he went through some heavy shit last gen.

Anyway, GB's treatment of Generations was fine. They had a mostly positive QL, and the lack of review is easy to explain when you consider that they have a small team, none of them have a strong affinity for Sonic games in the first place, and Generations was supposed to be a sack of shit, so why would they spend more resources than necessary covering it?
Yeah, I don't mind GB's treatment of Generations. Sure, Patrick was a little snarky towards the game, but Ryan seemed to like it. The Sonic CD QL was pretty positive too. And the Colours QL was surprisingly very positive!

The lack of review came at a time when there were a bunch of other things coming out at that time, so it's understandable.

As for Jeff, I don't know what he likes anymore, lol. I can't help but to feel that he's a little jaded towards some games. At least, that's kind of how I feel when I watch Jar Time.

Nert

I dunno I remember the rant being about how they were trying to sucker people into thinking it was like classic Sonic and preying on Nostalgia.

Which is what Sonic 4's marketing tried to do to a T.

That's how I interpreted his rant as well (outside of him clearly exaggerating for comedic effect). Especially after Sega had already released a terrible game titled "Sonic The Hedgehog" (2006), it's only natural to see "Sonic 4" as a cynical and manipulative name.

Their Quick Looks for Colors and Generations were thorough and, for the most part, positive. They even cleared the entirety of Tropical Resort while filming the Colors one. Full reviews would be nice, but I can see them having other priorities during the holiday rush.

If anything, people like Mark MacDonald have been way more dismissive of the recent Sonic games (at least from what I've heard on 8-4 Play).

qq more

combi i always thought your avatar was just something that looked out of context

i am disturbed that this isnt the case

Combichristoffersen

combi i always thought your avatar was just something that looked out of context

i am disturbed that this isnt the case

The best part of the drawing was, besides Donatello's ridiculous face, how April was completely bored while looking at her wristwatch :lol

Tizoc

Anyone else read Sonic 234? I thought it was pretty good but the ending...man.....
ANTOINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else read Sonic 234? I thought it was pretty good but the ending...man.....
ANTOINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to wonder if they're setting up to get rid of Antoine and Bunnie. Bunnie seems super worried that she's helpless without her robotics. I don't think Antoine will die, but it'll definitely be another sharp reminder of how fragile they are. Once he's mended, I could see them making a decision to go live in seclusion somewhere.

Either that or Bunnie's going to try and find a way to get her robotics back.

Mr Swine

Banned
That avatar isn't angry though.. It's a cutout of Donatello's face from a #34 drawing of Donatello fucking a rather bored April O'Neil :lol

Too much... Information... Bluarrgh...

Either way, was listening to Sonic Advance remixed boss music. So darn good :) wish there where more of it (Sonic 3 boss music)

TheOGB

Banned
I have to wonder if they're setting up to get rid of Antoine and Bunnie. Bunnie seems super worried that she's helpless without her robotics. I don't think Antoine will die, but it'll definitely be another sharp reminder of how fragile they are. Once he's mended, I could see them making a decision to go live in seclusion somewhere.

oh shit what

QUICK, TO THE COMIC STORE

...QUICK, FIND A COMIC STORE

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
oh shit what

QUICK, TO THE COMIC STORE

...QUICK, FIND A COMIC STORE
Yeeeeeeeaaaah, this is me right now.

I'm planning on picking my copy up tomorrow, then we can all talk about it. It seems huge. :O

The last part of the 20 years of Sonic LP of Sonic Heroes is up now featuring lots of deaths, disappointment about Team Super, Metal Sonic saying stupid things and LET ME SHOW YOU JUST WHAT I'M MADE OF.
The next game will probably be Sonic Advance 3 since they did 1 and 2 before.
I've really been enjoying this LP. It's a nice homage to the past 20 years, and wonderful to listen to or half-watch while I'm studying/grading. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing it.

I saw the first few pages of the comic via official preview, but now I really wish I wasn't so far behind.

Edit: Archie doesn't seem to have an Android app, but you can buy copies of Sonic from 211 to 234 in an app called ComiXology for Android, I'm pretty sure it's a legitimate service. $1.99 apiece for the US. They also have Sonic Universe.

Double-edit: They have a desktop site as well, and it's apparently one of those "buy once view anywhere" deals, not bad.

Sciz

I'd be a bit surprised if Ian was out to marginalize them for good, after everything he's done to keep characters like Rotor somewhat relevant. They'll be sidelined for a while, but they've been around too long to write off at this point, even if he is hellbent on shaking up the status quo. The two of them will be back in action in some capacity, if only because they'd both be miserable sitting around doing nothing, knowing that the rest of their friends are still giving it their all.

Parallel Bunnie (Buns I think?) had the Omega battle suit... I wonder how deep the parallels run, if she was simultaneously cured of her NIDS through similar events.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just read 234. Just... what.

I hope not. I think he and Bunnie might be written out for a bit (ie: not focused on or written in the narrative too much) while Flynn seems to still be fixing things up. He's probably just going to be severely injured and will probably be out of commission for a few months. The same goes for Bunnie.

With that said, Antoine is actually one of my favourites. My dad always used to make fun of him when we watched SatAM, so I guess that's why I have a certain nostalgia or attachment to him. But with that said, I genuinely like how the comics ended up developing his character, at least prior to when the comics' writing became a little off.

Posted over in the TAS thread. Reposting here, because whaaaaaaaat
I... what... :O

By the way lets all strap on our slowdown shoes because it seems that my pondering of sonic labyrinth heading to the 3DS VC seems to be a reality some point in the near future as it's received classification.
Also prepare your eyes for pre rendered ruination with Sonic Blast as well.

Now on a different note i've found myself listening to the sonic CD soundtrack quite a bit over the last few months and have concluded that Quartz Quadrant (jpn/eu version) is fabulous, the soundtrack across both versions is pretty damn good. Wacky Workbench is the best on the USA side of things, there's definitely a different vibe to this Sonic soundtrack than the rest but it works well.
I found that when I did my tails run through I was swapping between the two soundtracks quite a bit.

Palmtree Panic: JPN
Collision Chaos: USA
Tidal Tempest: Either, both are good
Quartz Quadrant: JPN
Wacky Workbench: USA
Speed Highway: JPN
Metallic Madness: JPN though I don't much care for the music either way here

Opening/Ending: US
Menu/Special Stage: US

Wacky Workbench Zone USA, Chemical Plant Zone and Rooftop Run Zone (lol if only they still called levels that) are the best 3 Sonic tracks, period. PERIOD.

If I had to pick a 4th, er, What U Need. Naganuma is a god.

Combichristoffersen

Wacky Workbench Zone USA, Chemical Plant Zone and Rooftop Run Zone (lol if only they still called levels that) are the best 3 Sonic tracks, period. PERIOD.

If I had to pick a 4th, er, What U Need. Naganuma is a god.

I cannot agree with you there, good sir. This is the best, with Chemical Plant as a close #2.

It's pretty disgusting how little of Sonic 3 and Knuckles I've played. I used to play them a lot when I was younger, but seeing it was always friends/relatives and not me that had the Mega Drive, I never got further than Hydrocity in 3 and Flying Battery in Knuckles.

But yes, Lava Reef is good. I'd go buy the games on Wii VC, but I'm holding out for a Taxman port to PSN. If that never happens, IDK, maybe I'll try find them elsewhere, the PAL Wii VC is pretty terrible for Sonic games.

oh man, soundtrack talk, my favorite kinda talk lemme just go find...

...Just kidding. Seriously though, I'd have an easier time finding songs in Sonic 1-3K that I DISLIKED, since so many of them are good. I can't even begin to think of a favorite.

Speaking of dislikes, Hill Top Zone would be at the Hilltop of my list, since nobody I know likes it. Well, except maybe Tupac. The chorus gets murdered by the music, but everything else is alright, I suppose.

And because it was in the related links, Thriller/Marble Garden Zone. MGZ would probably make my dislike list too. The track itself is really dull to listen to, but it also fits the level really well.

It's pretty disgusting how little of Sonic 3 and Knuckles I've played. I used to play them a lot when I was younger, but seeing it was always friends/relatives and not me that had the Mega Drive, I never got further than Hydrocity in 3 and Flying Battery in Knuckles.

But yes, Lava Reef is good. I'd go buy the games on Wii VC, but I'm holding out for a Taxman port to PSN. If that never happens, IDK, maybe I'll try find them elsewhere, the PAL Wii VC is pretty terrible for Sonic games.
I used the PAL VC for my Sonic 3 & Knuckles needs since I too never played too far into the old sonic games for similar reasons, seemed fine to me (random crush deaths from nothing during the final boss aside) but I guess i'm used to the inferior PAL versions of older games.

oh man, soundtrack talk, my favorite kinda talk lemme just go find...

...Just kidding. Seriously though, I'd have an easier time finding songs in Sonic 1-3K that I DISLIKED, since so many of them are good. I can't even begin to think of a favorite.

Speaking of dislikes, Hill Top Zone would be at the Hilltop of my list, since nobody I know likes it. Well, except maybe Tupac. The chorus gets murdered by the music, but everything else is alright, I suppose.

And because it was in the related links, Thriller/Marble Garden Zone. MGZ would probably make my dislike list too. The track itself is really dull to listen to, but it also fits the level really well.
I like Hill Top Zone, I cannot deny myself that skewered harmonica sound.
Now Spring Yard Zone, i'm not much of a fan of that one.

Mushroom Hill Zone has one of those tracks where I love it in game (thought it's nostalgia, to be honest), but I wouldn't ever listen to it on its own. It's my Green Hill Zone, though- having played Sonic 1 very little when younger, but having played S&K loads, Mushroom Hill is basically burned into my memories of youth, alongside Crash 3's tiger levels and most of Pokemon Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom