• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Bah Bah U have bad water levels? I can't remember Bah Bah Wii's. All I remember is that the physics in Mario games have changed a bit.
Well, I went through the water world without too much issue. There was this stage with an eel that constantly chases you that kinda annoyed me, I guess? And at least one stage where the obvious exit was the wrong one to take (that might've been the jungle world, I forget).

BYEyR.jpg

TMNT for NES if anyone's unfamiliar.

I just had a near-uncontrollable urge to punch my laptop screen.

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually disliked Aquarium Park and it was the reason I originally stopped playing Colors on my first playthrough.

I can't really think of an amazing water level. Maybe Lost World?

qq more

A bad water level is a water level. NO EXCEPTIONS.

What did you think of Ocean Base from Advance 3?

EDIT: Starting to have fun with the special stages in Advance 1. Might bump the game to 7.5/10. The method of getting to them is kind of annoying though, but not too bad.

I always thought Aquatic Ruin was okay, especially since taking the top path practically keeps you out of the water for most of the zone. Didn't know about the makeshift raft in Act 2 'til someone posted about it on GAF once, heh.

Kokonoe

Banned
I always thought Aquatic Ruin was okay, especially since taking the top path practically keeps you out of the water for most of the zone. Didn't know about the makeshift raft in Act 2 'til someone posted about it on GAF once, heh.

What?

Oh, and Aquatic Ruin is pretty fun. I actually haven't played Sonic Heroes since my initial playthrough so I don't remember the water levels. I can't think of any I dislike besides the one in Colors, though. I may have fallen on a spike enemy in Hydrocity, but I still like it for the most part.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hydrocity lives!

Don't believe Schala's lies!
I do like Hydrocity. But I don't think it's the best water level in a Sonic game.

The best thing about Aquarium Park, though, is that you can either say above the water and not enter it at all unless you need to get to the goal ring or you can travel rather hastily through the water with a powerup (which is very easy to get). Drill made cruising through the water fun and rapid. You're quickly treading through the water like a real Sonic should.

Box of Bunnies said:
You don't need to worry about that. It's a SonicGAF Certified™ Worse Than Sonic 06 game.
I don't remember signing off on this at all. And I'm Vice President. Anth0ny must have forged my or Beef's signature.

Professor Beef said:
I just had a near-uncontrollable urge to punch my laptop screen.
What, you don't like being under a time limit, being shocked by electricity, disabling bombs, and possibly being hit constantly because you can't avoid stuff underwater?

Well, I went through the water world without too much issue. There was this stage with an eel that constantly chases you that kinda annoyed me, I guess? And at least one stage where the obvious exit was the wrong one to take (that might've been the jungle world, I forget).
So they're good for the most part?

I heard Bah Bah U was legitimately fun. More fun than Bah Bah 2, anyway.

What?

Oh, and Aquatic Ruin is pretty fun. I actually haven't played Sonic Heroes since my initial playthrough so I don't remember the water levels. I can't think of any I dislike besides the one in Colors, though. I may have fallen on a spike enemy in Hydrocity, but I still like it for the most part.

I think I've grown to like it more than as a kid. It's very fun outside of the water parts.

Nert

Governor?

Man, I don't know if I can keep playing PM: Sticker Star...

How is Sticker Star, by the way? Thousand Year Door is probably my favorite RPG ever made and I was planning on picking up a 3DS almost solely for Sticker Star. After I saw how much the combat system had been... let's say "streamlined," I lost interest pretty quickly. Are most enemy encounters as pointless as they look, or does the game manage to get a lot of mileage out of its limited systems?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How is Sticker Star, by the way? Thousand Year Door is probably my favorite RPG ever made and I was planning on picking up a 3DS almost solely for Sticker Star. After I saw how much the combat system had been... let's say "streamlined," I lost interest pretty quickly. Are most enemy encounters as pointless as they look, or does the game manage to get a lot of mileage out of its limited systems?
It... you know how RPGs generally have this sense of 'progression'? Not necessarily that you're progressing towards the endgame and plot goal, but character and ability progression? RPGs are my genre of choice partially because of that. Battles (which feel a lot like MMBN battles) don't hand out XP and thus the lack of character progression is pronounced. They're good for accumulating coins and stuff, though (especially coins--the more battles you participate in, the more coins you get at the end of a stage). For someone like myself who places more importance on battle, growth, and ability systems than anything else in RPGs, Sticker Star comes off as extremely underwhelming. It feels a lot like an adventure game with some RPG influences (ie: more emphasis on exploration than anything else). I do, however, feel like it's slightly better than SPM, and the puzzles are good.

I'm also ashamed to admit that the game has made me feel tired a lot. That might be partially because I've been burning the candle at both ends for the past month or so and haven't been getting a lot of sleep, but it doesn't help that I find the battles not as fun as previous PM games and it wasn't what I was expecting in terms of a PM game/RPG, I guess. It looks very cute and pretty, though. I'll give it that.

Point is: do not expect TTYD if you ever pick this up.

...gosh, it's going to be interesting if either VLR or Persona 4: Golden end up being my GotY this year (it'll be pretty funny considering my 2008 GotY (2012 Edition) vote). I feel like I'm being too hard on too many games lately. :|

Kokonoe

Banned
It... you know how RPGs generally have this sense of 'progression'? Not necessarily that you're progressing towards the endgame and plot goal, but character and ability progression? RPGs are my genre of choice partially because of that. Battles (which feel a lot like MMBN battles) don't hand out XP and thus the lack of character progression is pronounced. They're good for accumulating coins and stuff, though (especially coins--the more battles you participate in, the more coins you get at the end of a stage). For someone like myself who places more importance on battle, growth, and ability systems than anything else in RPGs, Sticker Star comes off as extremely underwhelming. It feels a lot like an adventure game with some RPG influences (ie: more emphasis on exploration than anything else). I do, however, feel like it's slightly better than SPM, and the puzzles are good.

I'm also ashamed to admit that the game has made me feel tired a lot. That might be partially because I've been burning the candle at both ends for the past month or so and haven't been getting a lot of sleep, but it doesn't help that I find the battles not as fun as previous PM games and it wasn't what I was expecting in terms of a PM game/RPG, I guess. It looks very cute and pretty, though. I'll give it that.

Point is: do not expect TTYD if you ever pick this up.

...gosh, it's going to be interesting if either VLR or Persona 4: Golden end up being my GotY this year (it'll be pretty funny considering my 2008 GotY (2012 Edition) vote). I feel like I'm being too hard on too many games lately. :|

I expected this, and I'm glad I didn't pick up this game yet. I'll get it a while from now if it's on sale, but I could tell from the lack of leveling system, partners, and having to do tasks how much different this was going to be, especially after Super Paper Mario. To be honest, I want them to make a game like 64/TTYD, I'm not really interested in these lackluster Paper Mario experiences they've been outing.

I'm not going to lie, I did consider Super Paper Mario to have a great story, but the game itself just isn't that great.

Aquatic Ruin is always overlooked when it comes to water levels in Sonic.

I feel like playing Generations, but it has been so long that I'm just going to spend most of the time relearning the levels, and I have some uni shit to write by tomorrow morning... which I guess can wait until 4am like last Friday, lololol.

OMG Aero

I don't like Aquatic Ruins because some of the Grounders and fly swarms are cheap as hell and you can't avoid them unless you know beforehand where they are.
Also fucking leaves everywhere obscuring your view.

qq more

I don't like Aquatic Ruins because some of the Grounders and fly swarms are cheap as hell and you can't avoid them unless you know beforehand where they are.
Also fucking leaves everywhere obscuring your view.

Fly swarms were never an issue to me but yeah grounder was cheap. I like the level overall... but those fucking grounders. Cheap enemy placement is terrible, ESPECIALLY in a game where you lose almost all of your collectables every time you take a hit.

The worst thing about Aquatic Ruin isn't even in the watery depths, those drill faced gits that pop out of walls with minimal warning are far worse, i'll assume they are the previously mentioned Grounder.
I'm hard pressed to find an underwater Sonic level I dislike, that tension they add can make things pretty fun at times, original labyrinth can be pretty cheese at times but that was more of the lift platforms that carry you into spikes that you can't see for crush deaths.

I've been wary of PM SS ever since I first saw the sticker gimmick, I cannot for the life of me drum up any sort of hype for it outside of it having a Shyguy mariachi band.

qq more

The worst thing about Aquatic Ruin isn't even in the watery depths, those drill faced gits that pop out of walls with minimal warning are far worse, i'll assume they are the previously mentioned Grounder.

I take it you never saw AOSTH? There's a character from that show whose name is Grounder and he is based on that badnik from Aquatic Ruins.

Kokonoe

Banned
Only issue I had with Aquatic Ruins were the arrows that stayed on screen if you keep moving right, but that was over a decade and some ago. I like the level quite a bit as I do all the levels in Sonic 2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's not start with the shipping.

This thread was originally designed to get away from that stuff.

I feel like playing Generations, but it has been so long that I'm just going to spend most of the time relearning the levels, and I have some uni shit to write by tomorrow morning... which I guess can wait until 4am like last Friday, lololol.
Ahaha, sounds like my general plan (well a few years ago, maybe; now I have more work to do so I end up staying up anyway!).

Man, I haven't played Generations in a while either! I'm probably really bad at it now and will probably mess up the controls due to muscle memory with Unleashed.

Kokonoe said:
I expected this, and I'm glad I didn't pick up this game yet. I'll get it a while from now if it's on sale, but I could tell from the lack of leveling system, partners, and having to do tasks how much different this was going to be, especially after Super Paper Mario. To be honest, I want them to make a game like 64/TTYD, I'm not really interested in these lackluster Paper Mario experiences they've been outing.

I'm not going to lie, I did consider Super Paper Mario to have a great story, but the game itself just isn't that great.
I'm a bit disappointed in it, really. It truly is more like an adventure-style game with RPG-trimmings, so it's best to treat it like that. I don't think this PM is as verbose as the other ones, either, but it might be my imagination. I miss partners and badges a lot.

If anything's come out of it, it's that I realized that I don't necessarily play RPGs for the overall end-goal. I play them for the assortment of goals in terms of acquiring abilities, levelling up, getting new stuff, etc. Having that sense of character and personal progression keeps my interest.

I just thought it was hilarious how annoyed Sonic, Tails and Blaze got with Marine until Blaze finally just blew up at her.

I kinda wish she was in the comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom