• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

images

...what is this?
Why that would be Australia The Character.

Fan characters...oh boy, that reminds me of when I was younger and my adventures with the Deviantart Sonic fan community there. Boy were there some rich fan characters there, let me tell ya...

And that fad they had when Sonic Riders came out and they ALL started copying that certain shading style from the art there...like c'mon guys

Fan characters...oh boy, that reminds me of when I was younger and my adventures with the Deviantart Sonic fan community there. Boy were there some rich fan characters there, let me tell ya...

And that fad they had when Sonic Riders came out and they ALL started copying that certain shading style from the art there...like c'mon guys
They have a wiki for that. And the things it chronicles are every bit as terrible and frightening as you would imagine. It seems to be a fad on #srb2fun to dive in and post the more ridiculous findings you come across for one reason or another.

This page in particular, however, is brilliant. Trust me, this one actually has a good payoff.

TheOGB

Banned
Blue Marine Zone
Marine's head is, like, crazy smooth. why

Edit: erm, what
Sonic adventure 3 (also called Sonic Dash) is a modern day game baced so far on the gameboy advance roots mixed with a 3D like stage design relating to Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. It's creator is prefered not to be spoken of with a devolopment team completly merged to SEGA's roots. The game is sceduled to first be released on the PC and soon into the 3DS. For a gameboy like game, this version of Sonic's gameplay seems to also have certain upgrades first introduced in Sonic Advance 3. The game so far not only has fans but very powerful reviewers preparing to review the game the minute it comes out. The graphics are all gameboy but perfect for any system hich also likes to use part 3Ds in the roots of the gameplay style. It's grammer is perfect almost having 0% typos in any text on story dialouge. The character selection is an instant classic of simply choosing from 6 characters (which obviously all must be unlocked excluding Sonic) and then moving striaght to stage select. The sound/music is perfect as all much is more genesis toned and not 8-bit related.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blaze is SonicGAF mainstream!
Blaze is probably the only recent character that SonicGAF unanimously likes by virtue of not being annoying.

Finished the Bark & Bean pic:

http://pietepiet.net/img/art/segazine_pietepiet.png

Can't wait to show off the rest of the entries for the SEGAZine. We got so much stuff, it's insane :)
That looks great! Can't wait to see what else you guys got.

It's funny because I never really thought that was a decent shading style to emulate. It just seems like you could do half of the portrait and then incorporate the shading style just because.

I know you're not talking about this, but while we're on the subject I want to take the opportunity now to remind you all that "Awesome" fan art is not permitted in this thread whatsoever. If you want to post that stuff, please post it here and you'll be guaranteed a couple of laughs. This thread is not for that nonsense, as it was originally started because people who never really posted in Sonic threads thought it was hilarious to post "awesome" fan art in every Sonic thread on Gaming Side in an effort to get their images quoted with lols because reasons. Don't do this. We've made it through this thread for almost a year without having to deal with it.

The same goes for "awesome" fanfiction. We all know there are dumb and creepy Sonic fans much like how there are dumb and creepy FF and KH fans. Let's not give them attention they don't deserve.

*obviously just woke up from a 1-hr nap on the wrong side of the bed* This isn't about "no fun allowed", but rather it's about at least letting this thread have some dignity. Good fan art is fine. Pietepiet's piece of art and Sega1991's drawing are good examples of things to post, but please keep it to a minimum so it doesn't get out of hand. The fan art rules in this thread are the exact same as Andrex's rules in the Pokemon Community Thread.

I don't recall any such rules being stated or enforced.

Really, though, the only page I care about on that wiki was what I posted, and that's because it's actually good.

qq more

You are all correct.

Finished the Bark & Bean pic:

http://pietepiet.net/img/art/segazine_pietepiet.png

Can't wait to show off the rest of the entries for the SEGAZine. We got so much stuff, it's insane :)

For some reason I can imagine them rapping

Great artwork!

EDIT: The rules was stated but IDK if it was ever enforced. I don't mind it too much as long as the thread hasn't devolved into really creepy fanart or takes over the entire discussion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't recall any such rules being stated or enforced.

Really, though, the only page I care about on that wiki was what I posted, and that's because it's actually good.
They were casually stated (Beef just briefly stated it in the OP, but when we were conceiving the thread last December, similar rules to the PokeGAF thread were kicked around and we agreed we'd have the same ones) but since we're all Good And Smart People™, the rules never had to be enforced.

Don't worry about it. The wiki page you posted was fine. Just as long as it doesn't go into ridiculous NSFW/weird territory, it's fine.

Let's not let it devolve into the depths Pokegaf did...that is an argument we do NOT want to go back to.

No seriously, it got ugly and much immaturity was to be had.

But I have no particular issue with that rule. And I wasn't trying to start shipping talk with my earlier statement, just tigger does what tigger does.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah, don't worry about it, really--you're all good people. I won't deny that when the conversation veers off into that direction I get a little uneasy about it.

Well there is one aspect, she is a Mary Sue, but that probably is more appealing than the other characters for most people.
But I don't think she's necessarily perfect, though. She does have flaws but they aren't as obvious to the player. If she were perfect, and thus Mary-Sue-like, then her status as a princess would be overemphasized, her trust issues with others wouldn't be as obvious, people don't act like her being there magically changes them for the better, the universe would bend to her every whim, the story would revolve around her all the fucking time, she wouldn't have gotten the scepter stolen, she wouldn't have made poor decisions at times which reflect poorly on her, etc.

That Twilight woman is a Mary Sue. Blaze is not. Calling Blaze a Mary Sue would almost indirectly mean that Knuckles is a Gary Stu.

...I can't believe I just wrote this. This is just as bad as defending Tales characters.

Ok guys, need some help.

Doing an animated infographic in After Effects for my Design/Colour Theory class (the one I enjoy the least may I add!) on Sonic stats, as my lecturer rejected my other ideas (penis size and abortions "but fun").

Anyone know of a good source of information on the series that isn't wikipedia or Sonic Retro? (a source I depleted for my Game Design theory essay haha).

Thaaaaanks :3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I almost want to suggest the Sonic Wikia, but some of the stuff in there seems like it's made up/not sourced. I think Retro's most of our go-to sources for this. >_<

Of course, some posters themselves might be good resources in this thread...

I think if you can use the Chaos Emeralds like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and such have...you're labeled a Mary Sue/Gary/Stu/Bella.
Then everyone else who isn't Sonic is a Sue/Stu!

Oh god it's like SA1 gets worse and worse the more you venture away from Sonic's scenario. I just completed Knuckles' scenario and it couldn't end quickly enough. Now I have Amy, Big, and Gamma-whatever's scenarios to complete.

So I been playing SA2 lately, it looks surprisingly good in HD in some areas.

I remember starting City Escape and thinking "damn this game is good, I wonder why I seemed to think it wasn't so great" and then every other level happened.

:V

Still love it though.

Feels good to have the chao garden back.

Also why are Rouge's stages so much worse than Knuckles' stages, I have like all A ranks on Knuckles stages(except for Aquatic mine because fuck that place) and no higher than C in any of Rouge's.

How can a stage be so bad and have music this good, DAMN YOU SA2.

My sucking at finding stuff aside, I thought her levels were better because they tried to mix it up a bit, like how she had to avoid Eggman's robots or having to infiltrate a base.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Playing Sonic Adventure 2 HD made me remember that the Knuckles and Rouge stages set off my motion sickness. The camera doesn't help at all.

Also, Rouge's stages somehow manage to be worse than Knuckles's and I have no idea how that was accomplished.

Opening stages are about on par, IIRC.
Don't remember enough about either character's pyramid stage.
Rouge has an awkward timed stage. Knuckles doesn't.
Rouge's space stage has a giant bottomless pit under it. Knuckles's doesn't.
Rouge has one less actual stage, in lieu of a kart racing stage. Knuckles doesn't.

Ergo, Knuckles's set is better.

I don't know what some of you crazies are on about, Rouge stages are pretty much on the same level as Knuckles outside of the mess that is Mad Space, Dry Lagoon and Egg Quarters are variations on two of Knuckle's stages, Security Hall straps a timer on you so you can't take 20 minutes and the emerald locations are easy to predict alongside the fact that the stage itself is pretty small.

Knuckles has the better selection but by a small margin, I call it the Pumpkin Hill margin.

Christopher

Sonic Adventure 2: Reused Assets.

I never really noticed how much of this game is reussed assets again and again, however I still find it enjoyable.

Amy shoulda been a Sonic skin for unlocking some emblems too - she essentially runs through the game looking for him and it woulda added some emblems.

I don't think SA2 needed any more emblems.
Most reused stage has to be the ARK interior, they get so much mileage out of that bland location, right down to making a rather awkward Sonic stage out of it.

Well, there's Lost Colony, Eternal Engine, Crazy Gadget and Cannon's Core... Cosmic Wall, Meteor Herd, Mad Space, Final Rush and Final Chase are more "ARK exterior" than they are "ARK interior", so...

Well to Heroes defence it did have a whole game of speed stages, it was set up in the good old classic style, shame that the game itself didn't play anywhere near as good as the classics.

Playing Sonic Adventure 2 HD made me remember that the Knuckles and Rouge stages set off my motion sickness. The camera doesn't help at all.

Also, Rouge's stages somehow manage to be worse than Knuckles's and I have no idea how that was accomplished.
Yep meteor herd and stuff makes me sick sometimes feel like throwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom