• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

The first wasn't so bad. All those springs were pretty easy to find.

Something more fitting for Advance 2 would've been like "Clear the stage with 50 rings while running at top speed" or something, so that it warps you to the Special Stage.

qq more

The first wasn't so bad. All those springs were pretty easy to find.

Something more fitting for Advance 2 would've been like "Clear the stage with 50 rings while running at top speed" or something, so that it warps you to the Special Stage.

Advance 1 was definitely not too bad about it. The rest though... why Dimps? :(

Funny Sega1991 should put Pulseman on the list, it's on my previously mentioned list of games I may splurge on with remaining points, but if its hard then hmmmmm.
I should mention most games there are in that big Genesis/Mega Drive Collection and I can't get into Dynamite Headdy or Vectorman at all.

In fact Vectorman is nuts, I don't think i've ever got past the first stage in it or its sequel, a visual clutter where you drop dead in 3 hits.
Now Shinobi 3, there's a game.

Slygmous

I unlocked Amy in Advance 2 back when it came out, it was a bit of work for such a small reward though... she just plays like Sonic with a Hammer :( No unique Amy like in Advance 1. Was quite a let down.
That said, for whatever reason I enjoyed Advance 2 the most out of the Advance games, great for time attack once you got used to the levels and learned the best tracks. Bosses were awful though.

Advice for getting all the emeralds: look up somebody doing it on youtube! There's a very specific track to follow to find those magic rings or whatever they were.

TheOGB

Banned
I remember going through Advance 2 pretty painlessly until Techno Base, which I'm not a huge fan of. Once I beat the game with (almost) everyone it was off to GameFAQs and Neoseeker (HA!) to find those DAMN SP Rings. Once you know these paths you will never go any other way ._.

Bosses were a pain but I loved jumping as I ran up a hill and getting crazy air, sometimes enough to bypass the boss' usual bullshit and score a free hit.

But yeah, alright game, full of (Dimps) bullshit. Call me when we decide to replay Advance 3, I'll be waiting at Twinkle Snow still trying to beat that fucking boss

qq more

I unlocked Amy in Advance 2 back when it came out, it was a bit of work for such a small reward though... she just plays like Sonic with a Hammer :( No unique Amy like in Advance 1. Was quite a let down.
That said, for whatever reason I enjoyed Advance 2 the most out of the Advance games, great for time attack once you got used to the levels and learned the best tracks. Bosses were awful though.

Advice for getting all the emeralds: look up somebody doing it on youtube! There's a very specific track to follow to find those magic rings or whatever they were.

Still painful because if you mess up on the special stage, you'd have to recollect the rings again. Not to mention you'd have to do this at least 28+ times

Not seriously worth the effort :(

qq more

I don't know what you're talking about! All the hate for Advance 2's special stage method is justified, no matter what!

EDIT: By the way is Sonic The Fighters worth getting on PSN?

The Special Stages in the Sonic Advance games really are generally bullshit, though. Dimps seemed to be obsessed with finding "unique" ways to make special stages accessible, but they were always just way too tedious, especially when you consider you didn't even get "real" Super Sonic or anything for your efforts.

It was ESPECIALLY annoying in Advance 2, because you had to explore levels to find the SP Rings. But since levels were frequently designed to make backtracking difficult if not impossible, if you missed a ring you had to quit the entire stage and start over. The worst!

TheOGB

Banned
Handheld
reveal at the VGAs? Don't be ridiculous!

I expect Vita reveals that still won't do a damn thing for the system. Poor, sweet Vita.

Seganauts... recommend me a Virtual Console games for the Genesis/MD.
In addition to what qq more and Sega1991 said, I would also recommend:

• The Streets of Rage series (particularly 2)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World (kinda like Zelda 2, but actually fun)
  • Monster World IV (first official release outside Japan, and in English, too! Kinda wish Pulseman got the same treatment...)
  • Shining Force (like Fire Emblem but without permadeath)
  • Shining in the Darkness (the game Shining Force is a sequel to; more like an old-school first-person dungeon crawler mixed with JRPG mechanics)
  • Landstalker (haven't really put any time into this despite owning a CIB copy, but it gets high praise when it comes up in Genesis game discussions)
  • Light Crusader (Treasure game, isometric Zelda-like title; definitely not their best work, but all at once I rather like the thing)
  • Mega Turrican (never played a Turrican game but they're typically fondly-remembered, and this is actually the definitive version of Turrican 3 here, with some really kickass music)
  • Strider (early arcade port by Capcom, but it's a pretty swell game, if a bit overly linear)
  • Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (which is actually just Mahjongg Solitaire, and I would recommend any of the other games mentioned before coming to this one, but it has a competitive mode against the computer or a friend that can't be found anywhere else - the titular "Dragon's Eye" game - which I found quite fun to play).
Also seconding Toe Jam & Earl, Pulseman, Shinobi III and Vectorman. Ristar's kinda cool, never felt compelled to pick up a VC copy of it though (should probably check eBay prices on a cart copy...).

I really, really want Nintendo to make these available for U-Pad play sooner than later, ideally without me having to rebuy everything.

Pietepiet

sa2.jpg

It begins...

Holy crap. Do not remind me of Advance 2 or Advance 3.

Those games haunted me. I remember when I thought that beating the final boss with all characters would give me Super Sonic.

Oh how naive I was back then.

Getting the chaos emeralds as Sonic was a nightmare back then. Getting those seven "special rings" to get to the special stage involved me searching for every single alternate path and not dying. A couple screw-ups, and you gotta start alll over again.

Then there was the special stages. These things were brutal. For those who don't know, you had to constantly get rings to build up a multiplier and pray to God that rings would magically show up in front of you when running away with a 3x multiplier from zero to get the amount of rings you needed. Fail? Get back to the stage and get those rings again.

It was like climbing Mt. Everest only for another mountain to show up once you got to the top.

Getting the chaos emeralds at least once in that game felt like a huge acommplishment to me back then.

And don't get me started on Advance 3. As soon as I was greeted with all these different character options and that hell of a confusing hub world, I was out. I could barely progress back then much less get the chaos emeralds!

And don't get me started on Advance 3. As soon as I was greeted with all these different character options and that hell of a confusing hub world, I was out. I could barely progress back then much less get the chaos emeralds!
Sonic leads, Tails partners. Enough to get you through every act and see the main ending. I don't think it's the optimal partnership (wasn't that Knuckles w/ Amy or something?), but you're just trying to beat the game, not totally rape it.

I mean, I agree with your opinion on Advance 2, but I actually kinda like Advance 3.

Advance 3 was the best, it seemed the most polished for sure and at least once you found all the Chao for a level, getting to the special stage was relatively easy.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wow, this Sonic Fighters game is wicked entertaining. I had to change my controls, but once I did to A - > Kick, B - > Block, and X - > Punch, really fun. It's kinda like some silly version of Tekken.

And I had no trouble with Geesey...=D

But I digress...

This demo needs to be longer for me...fun game but it's so disorientating to have it stop like that so soon!

Yeah, Metal Sonic is cheap as hell in StF. Especially that damned spinning attack. Feels satisfying if you actually manage to get Super Sonic during that fight, though.

And if we're naming cheap ass fighting game bosses...

T-1203G_11,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-11-X-Men-Children-of-the-Atom-JPN.jpg

Accept no substitutes.

qq more

Hey, who's talking shit about Advance 2?
I have absolutely no idea so many people here actually likes this game. Maybe I should really let go of that anger towards the special stage and replay the game again. (I always thought it was mostly bland though.) I just never see what was so good about the game outside of Music Plant.

Let us ask the Doritos Pope.

http://www.abload.de/img/geoffking5ikci.png

"I, Doritos Pope, proclaim with preach that Sonic Advance 1 is the greatest handheld Sonic."
Don't listen to the Pope's lies! Triple Trouble is superior!

Wow, this Sonic Fighters game is wicked entertaining. I had to change my controls, but once I did to A - > Kick, B - > Block, and X - > Punch, really fun. It's kinda like some silly version of Tekken.

I'm hearing so many mixed things about StF. This is probably one of the few times I've seen anyone praising the game. Not that it's a bad thing because I want to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom