• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uhhhhhhh, I'm so confused right now.

where am i

BTW, Nocturnowl what is this:
New Super Mario Bros 2 and Sonic 4 Episode 2: Because Schala would be upset if I missed out on these! memorable Dying Duck synths for Sonic and rehashed Bah filled bonanzas in NSMB2, platformers have never sounded so unique!
I'd be lying if I didn't admit the some of the NSMB music series is a guilty pleasure at times, it's overused with pretty poor sound quality but it's also a freakish ear worm, I heard my friend humming away the NSMBU overworld music in a mere 2 minutes with the game so maybe it's just Nintendo using twisted forbidden magic.

Then there's those dying ducks, best song opening ever clearly. There's actually some sort of solid song foundations in Episode 2 but nothing good is coming out of those synths.

But they're absolutely not serious honourable mentions I swear!
I had to take a little bit out of my day to ask you what this is

what is this

why

Prepare for a storytelling tour de force, you'll love it, after all you love those Tales games for their plots so you'll appreciate this.

*STAND BACK, POKEMON BLACK1/2 SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU ARE UNPREPARED FOR SUCH SPOILERS!*
It does sound the same, especially towards the end. And if you equate them to the Adventure games, that doesn't say much about either game~

So... in the last generation, they've decided to fixate more on narrative as a possible avenue of enjoyment? I can't blame them for trying (because it had to happen sometime), but maybe they should try another scenario writer?

I like Game Grumps, but their walk through of 06 gets arduous to watch at times. As horrible as the game may be, they tend to overlook some obvious things :p
Haha, I tried giving those videos a chance and I can't do it. Jon is annoying as hell and, shit, I hate Sonic 2006 and I know they aren't giving it its fair shake by not following the instructions. I can't help but to admit that the whole thing has decreased the amount of respect I'd originally had for Arin.

Currently chatting with my old Sonic fan-forum buddies on Skype; since my mic doesn't work I'm essentially the DJ of the chat and I play music in the background. Introduced them to Poets of the Fall and played some Falcom soundtracks.

Just like the good ol' days... (i.e. two months ago).
You make it sound like you just got old. You'll get used to it (you're not even old!). Your 20s can be cool if you let them be cool and fun. I dunno, I'm having more fun that I did when I was a teenager because I have more freedom.

Hey, can anyone point me to some of the better and more entertaining Lets Plays of Shadow the Hedgehog? I had one in particular that I was watching a while back that was pretty good, but I can't find it now. Its not the one on LPArchive I'm almost positive
Sorry for the late reply if you're still checking into this thread.

You have some of RunButton's stuff, but they only played the game for a tiny bit:
Part 1
Part 2

Do you know how old the LP was? If it isn't the Gameboy Hero LP (the one archived on SA), it might be the ClementJ642 one?

I don't remember ever seeing a single Shadow LP that was good and complete.

If that cover is a homage to MvC1, who are the secret characters hidden from me but accessible via cheat codes? Will we get Red Sonic? Green Knuckles or the ever popular Rosy the Rascal?!

And why is that bloody character select music playing in my head...squeee...that game was so fun.

BHZ Mayor

If that cover is a homage to MvC1, who are the secret characters hidden from me but accessible via cheat codes? Will we get Red Sonic? Green Knuckles or the ever popular Rosy the Rascal?!

And why is that bloody character select music playing in my head...squeee...that game was so fun.

Surely Sonic has a complete change mode where he can change his fur to black or silver and use Shadow or Silver's moves.

Haha, Red Venom was so ridiculous.

You make it sound like you just got old. You'll get used to it (you're not even old!). Your 20s can be cool if you let them be cool and fun. I dunno, I'm having more fun that I did when I was a teenager because I have more freedom.

I don't feel old at all; I honestly don't feel like I've aged since I turned 16! It's just been a while since I've DJ'd for the chat, and a whole lot longer since I've visited those forums. :)

I don't remember ever seeing a single Shadow LP that was good and complete.

That's funny, I just caught up with BrainscratchComms' commentary of Shadow the Hedgehog (they're showing all of the different endings) and they only have two more parts left.

Well, there's probably

Gold Eggman
Red Sonic
Orange Knuckles

And for the Capcom side

Akuma

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So the Sonic/Megaman crossover starts in April, and here's a neat cover for one of the issues:
OH MY GOSH This reminds me... You know what I forgot to do even though you asked me to do it?! :O

Shit, I'm so sorry. I don't have time tonight because I just got a pile of work, but I'll edit it tomorrow if you still need me to.

That's funny, I just caught up with BrainscratchComms' commentary of Shadow the Hedgehog (they're showing all of the different endings) and they only have two more parts left.
That's a new one. I'll check that out. I usually like the LPs where they progress like supergreatfriend and don't talk over the cutscenes, or if they're like Pokecapn and co and they have good synergy together.

Uhhhhhhh, I'm so confused right now.

where am i

BTW, Nocturnowl what is this:

I had to take a little bit out of my day to ask you what this is

what is this

why

Clearly you're in the wrong side of town, I was just dragging the baby Yoshi's through a bunch of NSMBU stage themes to see how their yelping affects the music, I think there was a homage to the original SMB underwater theme in the ocean stages and it made me smile, plus they sing with the superstar theme!
I can already tell you're not sharing in my joy here.

You couldn't wait to see it in that thread and I have proof, you did this, you set the cogs in motion and you'll have to live with your decisions.

It does sound the same, especially towards the end. And if you equate them to the Adventure games, that doesn't say much about either game~

So... in the last generation, they've decided to fixate more on narrative as a possible avenue of enjoyment? I can't blame them for trying (because it had to happen sometime), but maybe they should try another scenario writer?
Sort of, in the last generation they mainly decided to make the first entry not gimped from a gameplay standpoint if anything and it just happened to have a marginally better take on the "plot" that seemed to be a fluke or one off if the sequels are anything to to go by.
Now stop making me talk about the plot of all things, if I want to trumpet Black/White i'd just say in their series they're the very best like no one ever was, refined to the nth degree.

Tizoc

OH MY GOSH This reminds me... You know what I forgot to do even though you asked me to do it?! :O

Shit, I'm so sorry. I don't have time tonight because I just got a pile of work, but I'll edit it tomorrow if you still need me to.

Haha no worries mate, tyt on that.
If I'm not lazy I'll put up my updated review of the PS3 ver. of Sonic Racing Transformed tomorrow @_@.

Noi

112 emblems. Still haven't touched Death Chamber/Egg Quarters or Meteor Herd/Mad Space, or most of the Hard mode/Timed missions.

I fear for how much longer my willpower is gonna last from here on.

Rlan

A classic Aussie Magazine cover:

tumblr_mg2w1sudRd1rkrwaco1_500.jpg

http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/post/39616310144/megazone-magazine-issue-24-october-november#notes

Just looks like the lighting and his multichin. The orange is really only under his mouth on the lower half of his face.

Man, the whole "solid black eyes" thing Robotnik had going on was silly.

It's goofy, like the American artists had just never heard of glasses or something. Guess it's alright if you're into the whole "we can't give the comical, egg-shapped villain a silly name like Eggman, come up with something more threatening" deal.

Kokonoe

Banned
Red in Johto is my favorite thing to happen in Pokemon. Such a groundbreaking experience for me at the time, and to just be exploring throughout a dungeon I never did before, not knowing what was at the end, and out of nowhere you run into yourself from the first game. There is no battle better to me in any game than that. The surprise, the magnitude of it, and a sense of "fight yourself" will never be rivaled for me in such a way ever again in a Pokemon game.

Glorious, perfect chiptune.

Red in Johto is my favorite thing to happen in Pokemon. Such a groundbreaking experience for me at the time, and to just be exploring throughout a dungeon I never did before, not knowing what was at the end, and out of nowhere you run into yourself from the first game. There is no battle better to me in any game than that. The surprise, the magnitude of it, and a sense of "fight yourself" will never be rivaled for me in such a way ever again in a Pokemon game.

Glorious, perfect chiptune.

The best part about it is the buildup. As you go through Kanto, you keep hearing about the exploits of this "Red" guy from a bunch of people, like the mimic girl from Saffron City, his own mother, and even his rival from back in the day. While the player can reasonably assume at that point that Red is the 1st Gen protagonist at that point, there's likely still that element of "But there's no way I'll come face to face with him in the game... right?" going through the players head.

Then you get to the top of Mt. Silver and see that ever so familiar trainer sprite, and the realization and excitement sets in.

Kokonoe

Banned
GSC was lame and Red's team was so awful it undermined the entire premise.

Gen 2 fanboys are the worst.

Seems like you are one, actually. I mention I liked something from GSC and you mention fanboys? Really? That is the worst.

The best part about it is the buildup. As you go through Kanto, you keep hearing about the exploits of this "Red" guy from a bunch of people, like the mimic girl from Saffron City, his own mother, and even his rival from back in the day. While the player can reasonably assume at that point that Red is the 1st Gen protagonist at that point, there's likely still that element of "But there's no way I'll come face to face with him in the game... right?" going through the players head.

Then you get to the top of Mt. Silver and see that ever so familiar trainer sprite, and the realization and excitement sets in.

Absolutely. The way you described it is how I felt, it's surreal, and one of my favorite moments in gaming. -high fives-

And my second favorite battle is Gary at the end, it's the only time in a Pokemon game where I felt the rival battle meant so much since well...

Gary Rival Battle Final

With this song, nothing else matters. Just you and your opponent exist, that is how I feel about it. I kinda feel the rivals after RBY just haven't had the same significance. GSC had a rival that was out to get you but he really kept losing a lot, RSE's 'rivals' were a joke, and they are your 'friends' now and have been ever since these games with the future Pokemon games. I want another rival that actually wants to make you feel like dirt so you'll want to give it your all against him, be challenging, and isn't sidelined by the plot.

TheOGB

Banned
I don't know why Nintendo is shy of the bully route. It just makes perfect fucking sense.

With how many people play Pokemon, do they have any idea what beating their in-game rival could do for a kid's confidence? :p (I'm very serious.)

Unfortunately, I was playing it with a Radeon HD5870 from the get-go, so I don't get to experience your relevatory 60FPS "wow" moment anew anymore :(

Maybe when BD Joe and All-Stars Racing Transformed hits the PC, since I'm used to the Wii U version right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom