• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's a mantra I decided was no fun long ago. :p

And yes, that's exactly the kind of comment I really wanted to make but I knew was too much. :lol
He's not reading any of this. :V

Anyway, um... I think it has something to do with yaeba and the attractiveness of it. Like, they think it's really cute and a sign of youthfulness.

I'm not even kidding. This is actually a thing. Edit: I found an article on it. It used to be popular in the 1980s, but it wasn't in style for a while... but for some reason it's gaining popularity again.

Only if qq more has a huge first reply ready within a minute of me posting the thread
KuGsj.gif
How was this even coordinated? :lol

He's not reading any of this. :V

Anyway, um... I think it has something to do with yaeba and the attractiveness of it. Like, they think it's really cute and a sign of youthfulness.

I'm not even kidding. This is actually a thing. Edit: I found an article on it. It used to be popular in the 1980s, but it wasn't in style for a while... but for some reason it's gaining popularity again.

If this means we Brits can shift our inaccurate stereotype of having fucked-up teeth onto someone else, then I'm all for it!

Noi

How much did they pay Deem Bristow (RIP) for his role as Eggman, 5 dollars? I think even Big has more unique lines than he does. At least more than GET A LOAD OF THIS and NO WAY, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS.

Whatever, 3/6 unskippable credits done.

Soooo, don't bother with B/W2.

Well, isn't the plot of B/W something like...
be the best Pokemon guy + stop N from being a complete nutter and then beat up Ghetsis also Team Plasma's uniforms are stupid
? At least that was kind of interesting. Is it just a retread of that game's plot in a way, or does it get a little waffly?

Late placement of Gen 5 Pokemon doesn't make sense (well, based on series tradition I guess it might, but...).

Prepare for a storytelling tour de force, you'll love it, after all you love those Tales games for their plots so you'll appreciate this.

*STAND BACK, POKEMON BLACK1/2 SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU ARE UNPREPARED FOR SUCH SPOILERS!*
B1 is hardly a champion of RPG storytelling, considering pokemon plots it's more like the one eyed king in the valley of the blind but it built up to a slightly more unique finish for the series that didn't just end with winning the league and going on home once again, you beat the badguys at the end in their castle out of nowhere whilst simultaneously winning the league and were rewarded with an pumping credits theme before going home with your newfangled super dragon, yes that's totally important and awesome!
Plus the villains at least attempted to tread a grey area with addressing the whole pokemon as slaves to people thing that's been a jolly old joke for years now, kind of, maybe, not really but it's something.

B2 feels like a return to the status quo with Neo Plasma being more standard mooks (as in even more standard) who are no longer hiding their generic evil and are easily terrorized by the terrible new rival character who never shuts up about his quest to regain his sisters stolen Purloin which might as well be the game main plot focus, only after beating the first 7 gyms do they suddenly attempt any token evil team shenanigans leading to a bulk of content regarding their generic evil schemes (FREEZE BEAM! WORLD DOMINATION!) all dropped around the same point instead of actually spread throughout the game with Ghetsis and N cameoing at the very end of it all, it's a pacing mess and the one open eye of gripping pokemon plot went and blinded itself again.
Then you go beat the champion, have the more standard credits theme and begin to ponder if you'd actually have just preferred Grey version.

What do you mean they sound the same? it's totally different! seriously though the pacing is pretty bad. maybe Black 1 is like SA you see and Black 2 is like SA2...okay that doesn't work, what can I say? I die hard!

Now why the hell was Golurk flung in victory road?! they fucked up my literal flight plans and i'm STILL pissed about it.

Back to Sonic: Deem Bristow's Eggman quotes are the stuff of legends, whatever he was paid it wasn't enough.

BlackJace

I like Game Grumps, but their walk through of 06 gets arduous to watch at times. As horrible as the game may be, they tend to overlook some obvious things :p

Currently chatting with my old Sonic fan-forum buddies on Skype; since my mic doesn't work I'm essentially the DJ of the chat and I play music in the background. Introduced them to Poets of the Fall and played some Falcom soundtracks.

Just like the good ol' days... (i.e. two months ago).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, can anyone point me to some of the better and more entertaining Lets Plays of Shadow the Hedgehog? I had one in particular that I was watching a while back that was pretty good, but I can't find it now. Its not the one on LPArchive I'm almost positive

Pietepiet

I like Game Grumps, but their walk through of 06 gets arduous to watch at times. As horrible as the game may be, they tend to overlook some obvious things :p

This is what bothers me about Game Grumps as a whole. They love creating problems for themselves and blame it on the games by skipping hints or tutorial stuff, or even trying out basic things like pressing all buttons to see what it does.

I can't watch that show because of that (and because Jon never shuts the fuck up)

Kokonoe

Banned
Top 3 Pokemon, SonicGAF?

1/2. Mewtwo and Rayquaza (I can't choose)
3. Bulbasaur

You've been on point all week, just for that GSC post in gaming side. Sheesh. I have nothing to add to that one because I agree with it.

Thanks, hehe. I could have done a lot more with it, but I held myself back because I had a point in mind while writing it instead of trying to focus specifically on why I think Black and White "ain't all that". Some history with PokeGAF and other stuff, but it felt really great to see all the praise over my post I admit, I'm not quite use to it!

That thread is full of cowards trembling in the wake of my great wall, they dare not try to scale it ergo I completely wasted my time as expected, OH WELL!

I may get to it some day(more so so it won't be a waste for you), but as you can see in the PokeGAF thread, there were reasons behind my post. I haven't posted since that post for that reason and that reason only.

I may get to it some day(more so so it won't be a waste for you), but as you can see in the PokeGAF thread, there were reasons behind my post. I haven't posted since that post for that reason and that reason only.

Might as well just leave it at this point, it will serve as a great reminder to fill my bigger counterpoint posts with hyperbolic matter of factly statements in the future for that instant reaction.

And while you're asking about top 3 pocket men.
1. Primeape
2. Steelix
3. Abomasnow

Scyther has finally been knocked out the top 3, my Steelix love has become too strong.

Pietepiet

My favourite Pokémon always seem to be the ones I think I'm going to hate. Toxicroak looked awful to me at first, but then I put it on my team and holy shit this thing destroys stuff. What a bro.

Kokonoe

Banned
My favourite Pokémon always seem to be the ones I think I'm going to hate. Toxicroak looked awful to me at first, but then I put it on my team and holy shit this thing destroys stuff. What a bro.

So do you like it for it's stats or appearance? I'm more of talking about appearance/design.

qq more

Squirtle/Blastoise because he's one badass mofo turtle
Snivy because smug as fuck mofo
Herdier/Stoutland because badass mofo mustaches

okay those arent really my top 3 i cant even decide because theres too many cool pokemon so instead im gonna list more pokemon that are my favorite!!!!!

dunsparce is hilarious, i love it
mewtwo is a fukin badass and the best legendary pokemon ever, fuck arceus and his god shit, mewtwo blew shit up, dont be messin' with my homie
i cant decide whats my favorite bird pokemon but i had pidgeot in my party in fire red so maybe him, he was a cool mofo

oh and ho-oh > lugia, bitchessssssss. he'll burn sum shit up

Kokonoe

Banned
It's just so elegant. It's like the perfect vanilla pokemon. Proud to have one on my Black 2 team.
Indeed, it's my favorite Normal/Flying/Bird Pokemon. It's hair really sets it apart from the other ones.

Squirtle/Blastoise because he's one badass mofo turtle
Snivy because smug as fuck mofo
Herdier/Stoutland because badass mofo mustaches

okay those arent really my top 3 i cant even decide because theres too many cool pokemon so instead im gonna list more pokemon that are my favorite!!!!!

dunsparce is hilarious, i love it
mewtwo is a fukin badass and the best legendary pokemon ever, fuck arceus and his god shit, mewtwo blew shit up, dont be messin' with my homie
i cant decide whats my favorite bird pokemon but i had pidgeot in my party in fire red so maybe him, he was a cool mofo

oh and ho-oh > lugia, bitchessssssss. he'll burn sum shit up

word.

Indeed, it's my favorite Normal/Flying/Bird Pokemon. It's hair really sets it apart from the other ones.

It's just so elegant. It's like the perfect vanilla pokemon. Proud to have one on my Black 2 team.
You've all chosen incorrectly!

Nah, I have nothing against Pidgeot but back in Gen 1 I was a Fearow man when it came to vanilla birds, Articuno gets top honours as far as Gen 1 birds go on the whole.

Primeape is the Ryback of the Pokemon anime, always eating and punching.

FEED. ME. DONUTS.
Dammit Beef, next time I catch one I might have to call it Ryback now!
Primeape's monster push in the anime got swiftly derailed out because he was upstaging Pokemon golden boy Pikachu by actually being able to kick the crap out of everyone, better hope Ryback doesn't follow suit upstaging Cena or else he'll get phased out like Primeape.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've taken a liking to Lopunny of all things lately simply because its trolling potential in double battles is just too good. Not sure how much I want to nerd up this thread with the details on that nonsense though.

Anyway, I went ahead and uploaded my Amy playthroughs from a couple days ago. A couple of amusing odds and ends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVUnB58DKLc#t=29m30s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j99MxYARlMU#t=1h11m45s

Also, did you know you could beat Knuckles in Hidden Palace by just crouching? qq more didn't.

I actually like Hoothoot as my second favorite normal/flying.
You're alright Koko.

I've taken a liking to Lopunny of all things lately simply because its trolling potential in double battles is just too good. Not sure how much I want to nerd up this thread with the details on that nonsense though.

Anyway, I went ahead and uploaded my Amy playthroughs from a couple days ago. A couple of amusing odds and ends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVUnB58DKLc#t=29m30s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j99MxYARlMU#t=1h11m45s

Also, did you know you could beat Knuckles in Hidden Palace by just crouching? qq more didn't.
I Somehow ended up with Lopunny as my main backup when I first played Pearl, I still have no idea how that happened, it's probably because the pokemon selection before the national dex there was the absolute worst. But it led to me liking the leggy loppuny as odd as its design is.

And a shameful but humorous defeat for Knuckles.

Yeah, really.

But then again, Sonic 4 would've been better as Pikachu in a Sombrero...
I'm not sure what you're getting at but i've just remembered Sonichu, damn, there's the eternal link between the two series in all its non glory.

BHZ Mayor

I'm not sure what you're getting at but i've just remembered Sonichu, damn, there's the eternal link between the two series in all its non glory.

Before Sonic 4 was officially revealed, the silhouette they were using looked like Pikachu, in a sombrero.

tumblr_lsgqszqNiD1qabvdro1_500.jpg

Edit: Beaten

Haha, I can practically hear MvC1's character select theme when looking at that cover.

Come to think of it, that's pretty much exactly MM's idle stance from MvC1/2. Nice attention to detail there.

Lijik

So I got a new computer for christmas, but I had to wait for it in the post. It showed up last night, and I was finally able to play like 90% of my steam library

And yo, this is probably old news but Sonic Generations on the PC is SO goddamn pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom