• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieNick

To offset that overly furry image, here's the greatest comic book over ever!

YSjYb.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NEW PAGE... BEST PAGE.

I can't wait for thiiiiis. Evil Friends Forever.

I used to lurk in community a lot before I got approved, so there's at least SOME anecdotal evidence.

Having a sub list is so much handier than having a GAF thread bookmark folder.
Hmm... I think I registered on GAF around the time FF13 was going to be released in NA. I didn't get approved until a full year after, though. But I'd been lurking GAF since maybe late 2008/early 2009, but I was always too nervous to sign up until 2010. So I've been there, and man, auto-subs are a godsend.

I didn't think anyone would lurk this thread though. :lol

Thanks! when I feel like it I can put a bit of effort in my posts.

Yeah, it's fun to play, mainly for the racing, it's just more of a comparison to the first one.
You've been on point all week, just for that GSC post in gaming side. Sheesh. I have nothing to add to that one because I agree with it.

qq more

EVIL FRIENDS FOREVER!!! This is the greatest fucking thing. I cannot wait for this.

You've been on point all week, just for that GSC post in gaming side. Sheesh. I have nothing to add to that one because I agree with it.
I agree. GSC/HGSS are one of my favorite games of all time. I like how some people are getting a bit defensive over it and now apparently it's bad to like Mewtwo in Smash Bros!

That thread is full of cowards trembling in the wake of my great wall, they dare not try to scale it ergo I completely wasted my time as expected, OH WELL!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Twfay.jpg

"What happened to you, Schala? You used to be cool."
Hey, Schala's still cool. You pay later! Later?

Still, I disagree with some of the points the OP made, like GSC has a crappy story. I didn't even know people played Pokemon for the narrative, and even then it was still a decent sequel to Gen 1 with a few callbacks while it was at it. And I genuinely like GSC's game design in terms of giving you Johto and then making the player realized that holy shit you can go back to parts of Kanto and it's a whole new ballgame.

People play Pokemon for the story?!

qq more

I absolutely loved Platinum and enjoyed Black (until I got burned out, but I blame the fact they constantly release new Pokemon games every year, I was even burned out in HGSS!)

but LOL at the GSC haters getting annoyed that people still love those games.

I swear to god I've seen someone in GAF a long time ago suggesting a post-apocalyptic setting Pokemon game and it wasn't honestly the first time I heard it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I swear to god I've seen someone in GAF a long time ago suggesting a post-apocalyptic setting Pokemon game and it wasn't honestly the first time I heard it.
I'm leaving.

That thread is full of cowards trembling in the wake of my great wall, they dare not try to scale it ergo I completely wasted my time as expected, OH WELL!
To be fair, your bit about balancing wasn't completely off. The OG game's balancing may have been a little wonky but as long as you used buffs and debuffs (lolololololol), you could've been okay.

Noi

I'm in the "liked RSE best" canoe. It had the most designed I like before the Pokemon started getting too busy visually for my liking.

That and it has a god damn fighting chicken.

qq more

wow ur all a bunch of losers why are you playing old games play new games stop having fun

I'm in the "liked RSE best" canoe. It had the most designed I like before the Pokemon started getting too busy visually for my liking.

That and it has a god damn fighting chicken.

RSE disappointed me for some reason, I'm not sure what it is. I didn't enjoy R/S but ended up enjoying Emerald but... something about the games feels off. They're definitely not bad games though.

Waddyaknow, belated-birthday cake tastes just as good as regular birthday cake!
*hinthint* :p

I absolutely loved Platinum and enjoyed Black (until I got burned out, but I blame the fact they constantly release new Pokemon games every year, I was even burned out in HGSS!)

but LOL at the GSC haters getting annoyed that people still love those games.

the newest games are always better, and if you like an older game, it's nostalgia.

They just need to make a Pokemon game set in the Special/Adventures canon; it's the only thing the series has that interests me anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That thread is bananas. It's like PokeGAF unleashed.

I read a lot of threads but don't post in them.

We should do something like that. Anth0ny prepares his argument as to why he thinks Sonic 2006 is better than Sonic Colours and Unleashed, and then the rest of us prepare arguments to refute him.

Waddyaknow, belated-birthday cake tastes just as good as regular birthday cake!
*hinthint* :p
Happy belated birthdaaaay!

you just want an excuse for one of us to post the cake pic.

14av12py0kp4.jpg

Noi

wow ur all a bunch of losers why are you playing old games play new games stop having fun

why do you want nintendo to release the old pokemons on the 3DS vc, those games don't hold up at all.

We should do something like that. Anth0ny prepares his argument as to why he thinks Sonic 2006 is better than Sonic Colours and Unleashed, and then the rest of us prepare arguments to refute him.

No thank you.

Sciz

B/W > R/S/E > I stop caring because the other three are all pretty broken in various ways

Story's probably the wrong way to put it, since the writing didn't start being worth anything until B/W. But the individual events that happen are important for keeping the player engaged and motivated.

qq more

Why yes, yes I did; and to make it even better, it was my 20th birthday. :)
Amazing.

They already made one.
63vjg.jpg
I had XD for the Gamecube, not only the name was awful but the characters looked like shit. I don't know if the game itself was good because I never gotten far into it.

I'd like to save my sanity.

Ocarina of Time sucks because it's old.

You only like it because nostalgia.

Sonic 3&K suck too. Because nostalgia.
Correction, it's Sonic always sucked and was never good to start with.

While the nostalgia argument is a cop out I would say that there's sometimes the opposite being pretty apparent, the new games in a series suck because any changes from the past are ill received with shaky reasoning or an inability to let an old favourite be usurped by the new.
I think I find that one far more frustrating but it's harder to pinpoint if that's the case because there's always fair points that some changes just aren't going to be considered an improvement to everyone for various reasons but really i'm more thinking about the people who clearly have no plans to give whatever game a fair shake because "back in the day..."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Then the picture of the cake was more convenient than I thought outside of the God is Dead bit.

Nocturnowl said:
Correction, it's Sonic always sucked and was never good to start with.
Ah, yes, right. I forgot that was some people's favourite argument now.

B/W > R/S/E > I stop caring because the other three are all pretty broken in various ways

Story's probably the wrong way to put it, since the writing didn't start being worth anything until B/W. But the individual events that happen are important for keeping the player engaged and motivated.
Well, I don't think anyone's necessarily implying that the future games are bad because future iterations are supposed to improve on things. It's good that they don't all have the same things otherwise the series will just feel homogenized.

Ah, so just basic plot pushers. But generally the plots are basically gotta catch them all beat the strong Pokemon dudes while dealing with Team Rocket, etc. Before B/W anyway. No, before RS because you had to deal with Team Aqua/Magma's climate change proposals. But even then, I've never really thought of narrative or the narrative subplots in any Pokemon games when I went through them. :/

I mean, it's no Pokemon Adventure manga. And that manga at least had a decent story.

I'm waiting on PokeGAF Colors since PokeGAF 06 was such hot garbage.
KuGsj.gif

Noi

Playing more of Adventure 1. I'd rather be getting more emblems in Adventure 2, bleh. Not even the music does it for me.

Now the GSC thread is a mess.

Is Black/White 2 any good because I heard it isn't.
Most people i'd say are pretty pleased with it, I can understand that.
But I was pretty disappointed coming off from Black 1,The restructuring of the games progression bothers me in a few ways partly related to some late placement of the Gen 5 pokemon and the plot pacing is all kinds of nutty, yeah I know , plot in pokemon isn't exactly anything at all important but the way it's all handled especially by comparison to the previous game leaves me a bit perplexed.
I'd also consider it leaning too much on the whole bigger is better mindset, the new Victory Road embodies this quite well, great for some, not so much for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Soooo, don't bother with B/W2.

Most people i'd say are pretty pleased with it, I can understand that.
But I was pretty disappointed coming off from Black 1,The restructuring of the games progression bothers me in a few ways partly related to some late placement of the Gen 5 pokemon and the plot pacing is all kinds of nutty, yeah I know , plot in pokemon isn't exactly anything at all important but the way it's all handled especially by comparison to the previous game leaves me a bit perplexed.
I'd also consider it leaning too much on the whole bigger is better mindset, the new Victory Road embodies this quite well, great for some, not so much for me.
Well, isn't the plot of B/W something like...
be the best Pokemon guy + stop N from being a complete nutter and then beat up Ghetsis also Team Plasma's uniforms are stupid
? At least that was kind of interesting. Is it just a retread of that game's plot in a way, or does it get a little waffly?

Late placement of Gen 5 Pokemon doesn't make sense (well, based on series tradition I guess it might, but...).

Noi

Adventure my mistake how can you like 2 better than one odd

I've been running around as Tails in this blasted forest trying to find my way out for the past 10 minutes. I accidentally skipped the cutscene where Tails finds a chaos emerald, so now I have absolutely no idea where to go and the red sparkly light at the train station isn't helping.

Edit: Oh, I had to go into this cave with a barely noticeable false rooftop and press a switch there to make the cave not a dead end. Woopeee.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welcome to Adventure game design.

It's not that I dislike it, because I like Unleashed's bits regarding the design quite a bit. They just feel unpolished, and I'd generally would rather blaze through levels and use power-ups and skills as opposed to adventuring with other characters I don't like controlling.

I've been running around as Tails in this blasted forest trying to find my way out for the past 10 minutes. I accidentally skipped the cutscene where Tails finds a chaos emerald, so now I have absolutely no idea where to go and the red sparkly light at the train station isn't helping.

Edit: Oh, I had to go into this cave with a barely noticeable false rooftop and press a switch there to make the cave not a dead end. Woopeee.

Images_(1).jpg

Noi

Now I'm in the land of Knuckles re-skins with some of them telling me "Miracles come from Within!" and how one of the really loves fighting or something. There's no sense or reason to this design to funnel me in the right direction.

Lord Iizuka-sama must be so happy that his games are reaching new players all the time.

"Soon, my masterpiece, Shadow the Hedgehog HD, will replace every single video game released into the market space. They will realize once and for all that I am the greatest Sega game designer of them all!"

"You'll never get away wi--" *slap*

"SILENCE, Yuji Naka! You had your turn..."

--

Which of course leads into a new 2d brawler in which Yu Suzaki and Segata Sanshiro team up to defeat the evil of Lord Iisuka-sama and save the captured Yuji Naka

SEGA GODS

Coming to an iOS device near now

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Which of course leads into a new 2d brawler in which Yu Suzaki and Segata Sanshiro team up to defeat the evil of Lord Iisuka-sama and save the captured Yuji Naka

SEGA GODS

Coming to an iOS device near now
Segata's ultimate comeback special.

Wait, iOS? This is Square-Enix's fault. :|

Is there a way to talk about his teeth without sounding like an arsehole? Schala, you're pretty polite, help me out here.

I mean, he must have a fair bit of cash saved up.
I'd take the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" approach.

Or "Sega's so broke now that they had to take away the staff's dental plan" might do the trick? Still comes off as slightly mean. Oh no, that was mean.

Anth0ny

Only if qq more has a huge first reply ready within a minute of me posting the thread
KuGsj.gif

I'd take the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" approach.

Or "Sega's so broke now that they had to take away the staff's dental plan" might do the trick? Still comes off as slightly mean. Oh no, that was mean.

That's a mantra I decided was no fun long ago. :p

And yes, that's exactly the kind of comment I really wanted to make but I knew was too much. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom