• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
this is why I don't like being away from SonicGAF for most of the day

I missed out on all the fun

EDIT:
Ry0fh.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It was pretty terrible.

-The soundtrack's... um... it's composed well, but in scene direction, it wasn't used adequately, and was ultimately forgettable.
-The movie took itself really seriously. It's like they watched too much SatAM but ignored SatAM's comedy. And for whatever attempts at comedy there were, they weren't that great and they came off as tacked-on.
-THE BLUE BLUR was the equivalent of Metroid: Other M's "the baby"
-The writing wasn't that great. Some of the actors weren't great.
-It definitely felt like pieces were missing from it.
-The movie lacked focus overall.
-Um. I think it goes without saying that some parts were extremely cringeworthy.
-Oh, and that model was atrocious. Awful. And the animations were... ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I giggled a lot. Oh shit.

...Um. Do you guys think I'm too harsh on games often? Just curious. Because I've started to get a lot of "you hate a lot of games" comments thrown at me lately.

Kokonoe

Banned
Liking things that the majority in that community dislike and disliking things that the majority in that community like always leads to stuff like that. You can either change your tone a bit or just ignore that. I honestly wasn't ever motivated to motion my dislikes till I saw others do it oddly enough, and especially so when it was towards me specifically after mentioning something I liked, but you can't please everyone.

It's always nice to give games a second chance though with a more open view, but if you've already given it that then there's nothing else you can really do if that's how you feel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Then I have to wonder why people suddenly think I hate games or something (not just on GAF). People think I hate games like Tales of Xillia, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, Tales of Xillia 2, NSMB, Gravity Rush, Trails in the Sky FC (surprisingly), etc. when really... I'm just listing the stuff I don't really like about them. Like, listing out things I don't like about a game, likely because I'm being verbose != I hate the game. I even slightly jest about hating Sonic 4, DKC, and FF4, when really I just don't like them much/think their flaws outweigh their pluses or I'm indifferent to them.

If you wanted to watch me play something I hate, throw on something like Beyond the Beyond, Hoshi wo Miru Hito, Heroes of the Lance, the Zelda CD-i games, Bart vs The Space Mutants, etc... then those would qualify.

I dunno! I can't please everyone. :|

Kokonoe said:
You can either change your tone a bit or just ignore that.
Although I'd rather be blunt than sugarcoat, I still try to sugarcoat. I feel like I sugarcoat too much, though.

qq more

It's kind of why I didn't feel too bad about that person leaving in the stream's chatroom. Took our opinions about JRPGs wayyy too seriously. No offense to that person though.

...Um. Do you guys think I'm too harsh on games often?
Yeah, but who isn't? I don't think any less of you for not agreeing with me on Super Mario RPG or Sticker Star or anything. Different tastes and shit.

Besides, as far as sugarcoating it goes, I think I'd rather take your sugarcoated negative opinions than some of the absurdly blunt ones I've seen around GAF. Y'know, like the ones Drinky Crow does in his various drive-by postings.

Some people have a hard time accepting that things they like have flaws.

It's okay, everything has flaws, even people, it doesn't mean we can't still love it.

Hell sometimes I love games because of their flaws. Like bad translations which unintentionally make the game funnier than it should be.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's kind of why I didn't feel too bad about that person leaving in the stream's chatroom. Took our opinions about JRPGs wayyy too seriously. No offense to that person though.
Was I being harsh, though? I just thought it was a little surprising considering the JRPG genre is generally my genre of choice, so I'm used to talking about it that way.

I still feel awful because that wasn't our place. It was theirs and based on how they felt, I thought we were being assholes.

Yeah, but who isn't? I don't think any less of you for not agreeing with me on Super Mario RPG or Sticker Star or anything. Different tastes and shit.
Wait, you think I'm negative? :(

To be honest, I'm feeling a little insecure.

qq more

Was I being harsh, though? I just thought it was a little surprising considering the JRPG genre is generally my genre of choice, so I'm used to talking about it that way.

I don't think you were that harsh. Honestly, I think I was more harsh if anything...I even said something along the lines of "[insert game here] shouldn't have exist!" (in my defense though, I was briefly bashing Star Ocean 4 and I don't think many liked that game to begin with). Then again I sort of forgot what you've said, but I don't remember it being tooo harsh.

I still feel awful because that wasn't our place. It was theirs and based on how they felt, I thought we were being assholes.
Now that you say it that way... I can see where they're coming from. Although I think I gave them the wrong impression that I hate JRPGs when I really don't.

I don't really think we were exactly assholes but I guess it makes sense why they saw it that way. I mean, it's not like we bashed people for liking games we hate in that chat!

Star Ocean 4 eh?

They can go take nappy time with Lymle to make them feel better if they got upset that you called out that games flaws because hoo boy does that game have some things that could be better.

qq more

Star Ocean 4 eh?

They can go take nappy time with Lymle to make them feel better if they got upset that you called out that games flaws because hoo boy does that game have some things that could be better.

Don't think anyone there actually defended Star Ocean 4. I briefly brought it up and said how it shouldn't exist. Afterwards I think I've bashed a few other JRPGs like Tales of the Abyss.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dark Schala is too nice to hate things!
I'm starting to think I'm getting mean. :(

For awhile, I didn't think Dark Schala liked any game
;___;

What games were you talking about?
Er, the one I PM'd you about. Except I didn't outright say what I said to you; though I'd alluded to the fact that the game was designed around its storytelling and cutscenes as opposed to the gameplay, which you know I generally dislike in video game design (because I've said it often on GAF).

Also, Xenosaga (which I dislike). The Last Story (which I said I liked) and Xenoblade (uh, I didn't say much about that, actually). I think that was it? Oh yeah, SO4. And TotA, but I said Asshole Luke > Other Luke.

qq more said:
Now that you say it that way... I can see where they're coming from. Although I think I gave them the wrong impression that I hate JRPGs when I really don't.

I don't really think we were exactly assholes but I guess it makes sense why they saw it that way.
I think it was a combination of everyone's sentiments. But earlier on, it was fine, wasn't it?

Well shit I hate Tales of the Abyss too honestly.

Granted I never beat it, but the cast man...I don't enjoy them in the slightest.

Er, the one I PM'd you about. Except I didn't outright say what I said to you; though I'd alluded to the fact that the game was designed around its storytelling and cutscenes as opposed to the gameplay, which you know I generally dislike in video game design (because I've said it often on GAF).

Also, Xenosaga (which I dislike). The Last Story (which I said I liked) and Xenoblade (uh, I didn't say much about that, actually). I think that was it? Oh yeah, SO4. And TotA, but I said Asshole Luke > Other Luke.

Well the only Xenosaga I liked was the third one and that was because of that slick battle system Can't comment on the last story but the gameplay I saw looked really questionable. Xenoblade I liked quite a bit.

qq more

;___;

Er, the one I PM'd you about. Except I didn't outright say what I said to you; though I'd alluded to the fact that the game was designed around its storytelling and cutscenes as opposed to the game, which you know I generally dislike in video game design (because I've said it often on GAF).

Also, Xenosaga (which I dislike). The Last Story (which I said I liked) and Xenoblade (uh, I didn't say much about that, actually). I think that was it? Oh yeah, SO4.

I think it was a combination of everyone's sentiments. But earlier on, it was fine, wasn't it?

Honestly, the entire conversation was civil up until the person bailed out right after saying she/he can't take anymore of our negativity. It was kind of sudden and unexpected.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm starting to think I'm getting mean. :(

;___;

Had this issue a while back where I felt when I stated my opinion I was being 'mean' and I even apologized for stating my own opinion, but nope, just keep doing what you do. As long as no one is trying to personally spite another there is no issues at all.

All this talk about opinions and stuff reminds me that I want to start doing game reviews some time. Unfortunately I don't think I play enough games (at least not as much as I want to) to actually say anything meaningful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Honestly, the entire conversation was civil up until the person bailed out right after saying she/he can't take anymore of our negativity. It was kind of sudden and unexpected.
I think half of what some of us were saying was in jest, but I can't help but to feel we were overstepping our bounds a bit. :/

I wish I could apologize myself, but I don't have the avenues to, I don't think.

Had this issue a while back where I felt when I stated my opinion I was being 'mean' and I even apologized for stating my own opinion, but nope, just keep doing what you do. As long as no one is trying to personally spite another there is no issues at all.
I'm still like that, but that's because I don't really say what's on my mind much off the Internet. Honestly, it took a lot to muster up the courage to participate in GAF threads and say what I truly thought about a game, and even now I keep a lot of things to myself. I don't want to come off like some big jerk.

Actually, that kind of explains why my posts are kind of lengthy. I feel as though I need to justify nearly every point I make, almost like I'm getting graded on an assignment.

You should play Fire Emblem 7.
but that's the bad one
The difference is that you actually troll people for liking Mega Man Legends!
Because it's so easy, and because Legends was so bad!
MML fans troll themselves
I LOVED IT when someone bumped the old Legends thread with news that the game still wasn't getting made. The reactions had me laughing so hard I think my life extended by 10 years.

I'm still like that, but that's because I don't really say what's on my mind much off the Internet. Honestly, it took a lot to muster up the courage to participate in GAF threads and say what I truly thought about a game, and even now I keep a lot of things to myself. I don't want to come off like some big jerk.

Actually, that kind of explains why my posts are kind of lengthy. I feel as though I need to justify nearly every point I make, almost like I'm getting graded on an assignment.

I drive by post to tell everyone I think a game sucks all the time.

Which probably makes me seem like a jerk but eh, I'm fine with that.

People need to understand, I don't WANT to hate any games. I wish every game I played was immaculate, but some games make me hate them by the silly things they do or easy things they neglect. And dammit sometimes I need to get it off my chest.

Kokonoe

Banned
Get off the Neogaf, stuff gets done!

Never seen one freaking board cause so much stress...

Well, I guess I still need to beat FFIII..
I'm at the last dungeon too.

I did/do the same thing, more so earlier on but it was actually only until late last month where I just decided to drop it as much. Being nice is one thing but being nice to people who aren't nice will drive you up the wall over time.

But either way, as long as there isn't spite among us then I mean we are really just stating our opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I do kinda like to discuss things with people who share those views as I've seen enough dislike for the things I like, but I don't mind it so much that people dislike. It's always nice to find others who share your interests.

Quackula

I wish Mega Man Legends was still as unpopular as it was when it came out so the damn things wouldn't cost so much.

Uh...

Kirby 64 and Dream Land 3 suck.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wish Mega Man Legends was still as unpopular as it was when it came out so the damn things wouldn't cost so much.

Uh...

Kirby 64 and Dream Land 3 suck.

Crystal Shards just...kinda got annoying for me in the later levels, but Dream Land 3 is just a real sluggish game and its kinda boring. Crystal Shards is a lot more fun than Dream Land 3, though.

I actually just played Dream Land 3 just yesterday. Superstar > CS/DL3 big time.

Noi

Man, that movie was something else. I had no idea what I was watching.

Now that I'm done streaming, I may as well play mediator and tell you guys that everything's fine. The person in question likes TotA and Xenoblade a lot, so coming to the chat to see people she didn't know about saying they didn't like either game wasn't exactly uplifting. I'm pretty sure she and Schala would get along well, this little incident aside.

Some of my non-GAF friends have this rather annoying tendency to lump everything under "NeoGAF hates everything" (which is, ironically, the kind of mentality that the mods are trying to fix around here), which I've been trying to a least somewhat correct. It was, unfortunately, just a case of the wrong person witnessing the wrong conversation at the wrong time. She already told me to tell you guys that she probably shouldn't have reacted like she did anyway and doesn't hold any hard feelings, so you can stop PMing to ask for apologies Schala. :p (Hell, I told her right after how much time you've spent with Graces and she got less upset).

Star Ocean 4 eh?

Believe me, no one I associate with will ever defend that travesty.

qq more

I disagree but that's fine because Medabots is better.

No, they're both awful!

Just kidding, Digimon is fine but I don't know anything about Medabots

Now that I'm done streaming, I may as well play mediator and tell you guys that everything's fine. The person in question likes TotA and Xenoblade a lot, so coming to the chat to see people she didn't know about saying they didn't like either game wasn't exactly uplifting. I'm pretty sure she and Schala would get along well, this little incident aside.

Some of my non-GAF friends have this rather annoying tendency to lump everything under "NeoGAF hates everything" (which is, ironically, the kind of mentality that the mods are trying to fix around here), which I've been trying to a least somewhat correct. It was, unfortunately, just a case of the wrong person witnessing the wrong conversation at the wrong time. She already told me to tell you guys that she probably shouldn't have reacted like she did anyway and doesn't hold any hard feelings, so you can stop PMing to ask for apologies Schala. :p

Oh, that's good to hear!

Quackula

Crystal Shards just...kinda got annoying for me in the later levels, but Dream Land 3 is just a real sluggish game and its kinda boring. Crystal Shards is a lot more fun than Dream Land 3, though.

I actually just played Dream Land 3 just yesterday. Superstar > CS/DL3 big time.

Adventure > Super Star > everything else

qq more

I tried getting back into 64 a few years ago but for some reason I kind of lost interest a bit fast. Not sure what it is, but something about the game didn't feel right. I really like the abilities combo system though, it's really cool.

Adventure > Super Star > everything else
Hell yeah. Adventure is my favorite <3

How was Return to Dreamland by the way, guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom