• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He tried playing it a little bit about a week ago because we're worried I might have an edge over him. He gave up after what was less than ten minutes, I'm pretty sure.

I haven't actually started a new game in Sonic 2006 since... well, 2006, and I don't play it very often, either, so who knows how it'll go. The few times I've played it, I'm used to like, using gems to skip vast swaths of level. Not having those, or even some of the other skill upgrades right out of the gate might slow me down?

He mentioned handicapping me but we never decided on anything (partially because I told him we might not need it - but I still worry about it).
If he stopped after 10 minutes and didn't get to the worst parts of the game, maybe you should suggest a handicap for yourself. It only seems fair. Even if you haven't played the game in a while, you still have experience with it. Ah well.

Is ShockingAlberto still banned? Nevermind, I just saw him post in the OT for this.

If he stopped after 10 minutes and didn't get to the worst parts of the game, maybe you should suggest a handicap for yourself. It only seems fair. Even if you haven't played the game in a while, you still have experience with it. Ah well.

Is ShockingAlberto still banned? Nevermind, I just saw him post in the OT for this.

I got to the first...what's it called, Mach Speed section?

I lost all my lives and then it restarted the game because somehow there is no autosave.

gotta go fast!

it makes you wonder what this game would/could haven been if it was given the time to be completed.
From everything I've read, it seems like being rushed was only part of the problem. It probably wouldn't have been a glitchy mess, sure, but it probably still would have been the awful things that game tries to do (vehicle combat, physics puzzles, human/hedgehog kissing).

Sonic team got restructured after that, apparently, so I think a game released pre-restructuring was probably going to be bad, anyway.

I got to the first...what's it called, Mach Speed section?

I lost all my lives and then it restarted the game because somehow there is no autosave.

Sounds about right. I cackled with laughter when Pokecapn and crew got their first game over on Wave Ocean's mach speed section, because I'd been there.

It is Sonic 2006's warning shot across the bow.

From everything I've read, it seems like being rushed was only part of the problem. It probably wouldn't have been a glitchy mess, sure, but it probably still would have been the awful things that game tries to do (vehicle combat, physics puzzles, human/hedgehog kissing).

Sonic team got restructured after that, apparently, so I think a game released pre-restructuring was probably going to be bad, anyway.

It depends on how far back the development troubles go. The game they announced and originally showed ended up being kind of different from the game that ended up on store shelves. It sounded a lot more ambitious back in 2005 or whenever the game was first shown. Within a period of months, a number of those ambitious ideas evaporated entirely and the game basically went back to being "another Sonic Adventure game".

The plot's also a mess in a way that suggests either it was very poorly translated or a number of cutscenes ended up being chopped out, because quite a few characters reference events and dialog that are never seen or even implied to have taken place.

dW9ws.gif

Anth0ny

Beach.

On the last death, Sonic's foot caught the edge of a railing on the docks and he proceeded to go through an uncontrollable crash animation for the rest of the level until he died.

woah, deja vu

-Well, I’ve saved the whales. Now, I get to play the first of many “Mach Speed” stages. In case you haven’t experienced this, imagine permanently hitting the boost button in Sonic Colors. Except you can’t stop. Or slow down. Or homing attack. OR MAKE CONTACT WITH ANY SINGLE THING. When you get hit by something, Sonic continues to be propelled forward at a fast speed. This usually results in you crashing into a wall. And dying.

And dying.

And dying.

So I lost all my lives. I guess I’ll just try ag… what’s this? 0%? The OPENING CUTSCENE? Ah, I see the concept of AUTO SAVING was foreign to the development team. Hey, fuck me!

I promised GAF I’d play through this game. So I did it all again. But it was painful. Cutscenes are skippable, LOADING TIMES AREN'T.

lol

qq more

*looking at Blaze's tumblr* Huh, didn't know you follow one of my friends. What a small world!

And also, oh god that PK guy is really fucked up. He really loves that garbage

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/19185844041/todays-stupid-youtube-comment-s-3-12-2012

This guy terrifies me. Holy shit.

Where is that plot summary I wrote...? The narrative is a trainwreck. How do people defend that? I don't play Sonic for drama and tragedy. I play it because it's a generally fun platformer. Give me a break.

Oh please. It can't be that bad.

...Oh. Oh! OH! That is just sad. It's like a widow sitting down and having lunch with her husband's corpse.

Lijik

Sucks that they quit when they were almost done though :/

Yeah, especially since they would have gone up against the dumb as hell Roulette Machine boss if they kept it up. The lava base level they probably would have gone to is pretty easy

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/19185844041/todays-stupid-youtube-comment-s-3-12-2012

Where is that plot summary I wrote...? The narrative is a trainwreck. How do people defend that? I don't play Sonic for drama and tragedy. I play it because it's a generally fun platformer. Give me a break.
The second the guy started claiming he was a master of dramatic storytelling, he instantly reminded me of this autistic kid that goes to my campus named Stephen. After making that connection, I found it easier and easier to read pk's comments in that guy's voice.

So I go to pk's deviantart page, and it turns out Pk's name is also Stephen. Its not really conclusive, but if it was the same guy as my Stephen I wouldn't be surprised.

To a certain degree I am glad you are afraid of him because this is the kind of post that makes me feel kind of guilty for writing because I probably shouldn't be focusing on one person so much. Despite how snarky I get in the comments sometimes I really do not like hurting people's feelings.

Like if it turns out that the guy Lijik describes is the same one here, I'm going to feel absolutely abysmal.

In my defense the entire reason I drudged him up after all these months is because he found my Tumblr (after barely a week of having it!), registered for my Disqus, and left me some nasty comments about how I was a "Retro Fag". I deleted them all and IP banned him.

Still makes me feel a little petty, though.

*looking at Blaze's tumblr* Huh, didn't know you follow one of my friends. What a small world!

Oooh! Who? Cinossu? Gagaman? Techokami?

OMG Aero

Yayyyy. I'm almost caught up. No Rush is disappointing, but I guess they can't grab DS footage and there's no really great emulators. :/
Kyle said on SA they forgot Rush and will come back to it later (Right now the last Shadow episode is part 89, Sonic Riders is part 91 and the first episode of 2006 is 92. Rush is meant to be part 90) and there totally must be great DS emulators because I've seen a ton of DS LPs including a Sonic Rush and abandoned Rush Adventure one that handled the screen switching really well.

Kyle said on SA they forgot Rush and will come back to it later (Right now the last Shadow episode is part 89, Sonic Riders is part 91 and the first episode of 2006 is 92. Rush is meant to be part 90) and there totally must be great DS emulators because I've seen a ton of DS LPs including a Sonic Rush and abandoned Rush Adventure one that handled the screen switching really well.

Oh, that's wonderful. I love Rush. And the emulator thing is cool too- by 'great' I meant 'ones that can run the game well and allow for FRAPS', but if there's existing LPs of Rush then I guess that's all covered!

Oh, that's wonderful. I love Rush. And the emulator thing is cool too- by 'great' I meant 'ones that can run the game well and allow for FRAPS', but if there's existing LPs of Rush then I guess that's all covered!

I forget the name of it now, but there's a DS emulator that has its own internal recording function so you don't need to use FRAPS. I think it's iDeaS? Either that or Desmume, I can't remember which.

Huh, that's handy.

The first episode of Sonic 06 in the LP went wonderfully. Hopefully they keep up with it- obviously I'm not expecting a Pokecapn level of endurance here, but it is a mainline game- they at least need to see Sonic's story through. Also, that and the upcoming livestream race should hold me off from watching the pokecapn LP again for about a year.

qq more

To a certain degree I am glad you are afraid of him because this is the kind of post that makes me feel kind of guilty for writing because I probably shouldn't be focusing on one person so much. Despite how snarky I get in the comments sometimes I really do not like hurting people's feelings.

Like if it turns out that the guy Lijik describes is the same one here, I'm going to feel absolutely abysmal.

In my defense the entire reason I drudged him up after all these months is because he found my Tumblr (after barely a week of having it!), registered for my Disqus, and left me some nasty comments about how I was a "Retro Fag". I deleted them all and IP banned him.

Oooh! Who? Cinossu? Gagaman? Techokami?

Techokami. I talk to him pretty much everyday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Perfectly understandable. Going by the first comment you highlighted, it made it seem like he made a bit of a name for himself defending the game. Going by some of the stuff he says, he seems rather young. You weren't harsh, but what struck me as odd (not necessarily terrified; small hyperbole on my part) was the fact that he essentially entrenched himself in the comments section of a YouTube video for two months to act as the game's hero, and he's apparently doing this for other forms of media if other people are bringing it up.

If he's clearly being an annoyance and somehow drudged up your Tumblr and ended up harassing you in some way, well... the pettiness might not be appreciated, but I guess you felt like you might've been caught in the middle. You could always delete the entry if you're really feeling bad about it, right?

Well, this is a nice warmup for Sunday.

I recall some asshat on YouTube calling me a retrofag for liking Damizean/Mark the Echidna's BlitzSonic as much as I did, while downright hating what Sega had lately put forth at that point (this was before Brawl, so presumably before Unleashed refined Modern Sonic's gameplay to what it is today - therefore, the most recent game would probably have been 2K6). I eventually ended up blocking him, because I didn't really need to be insulted by somebody whose opinion was almost objectively wrong.

For his sake, I think I'll refrain from giving out his YouTube handle. It wasn't that guy, though.

Techokami. I talk to him pretty much everyday.

Hah. Yeah, we occasionally talk on twitter and such. I think he was one of my first tumblr followers who wasn't a close friend, and he seems like an okay enough guy so I returned the favor.

Perfectly understandable. Going by the first comment you highlighted, it made it seem like he made a bit of a name for himself defending the game. Going by some of the stuff he says, he seems rather young. You weren't harsh, but what struck me as odd (not necessarily terrified; small hyperbole on my part) was the fact that he essentially entrenched himself in the comments section of a YouTube video for two months to act as the game's hero, and he's apparently doing this for other forms of media if other people are bringing it up.

If he's clearly being an annoyance and somehow drudged up your Tumblr and ended up harassing you in some way, well... the pettiness might not be appreciated, but I guess you felt like you might've been caught in the middle. You could always delete the entry if you're really feeling bad about it, right?

Going by both his Youtube and DeviantArt profiles he's at least 18 years old, assuming he's not lying. That's not that young.

And yeah, I guess I could just delete the entry if it comes to that :p

ShadiWulf

Looks like Iizuka-san was offended by the mere idea of Sonic Dimensions

*****: Can you say whether the rumour of a game called Sonic Dimensions on the Wii U is true or false?

Takashi Iizuka: Sonic Dimensions? [Laughs] I think it’s a complete hoax. [Laughs]

edit: interview from a banned site

he also says he is ready to bring back spin-off's and alternate gameplay styles now that Sonic's image has been restored.

He calls it a hoax based just on the name, that's pretty impressive recognition, considering:
Takashi Iizuka: Sonic CD is a game that the fans had always asked to be brought back... the problem is that it’s a really difficult game to port or emulate! I wasn’t aware of the name of the engine that made it happen, but I think it’s great that something people have been asking for is now available to them.

He wasn't even aware of what the engine used to rebuild Sonic CD was called.

Maybe people have been already asking about it, though.

he also says he is ready to bring back spin-off's and alternate gameplay styles now that Sonic's image has been restored.
"It's been 5 seconds, I can has Shadow The Hedgehog 2 now?"

He's made one single "pure" game that's "restored Sonic's image." Episode 2 is coming and looks OK, and Colors is good, but made by a separate team. It's really too soon to back to crazy shit.

qq more

Ugh, no alternative gameplays. I really like the direction the franchise is taking now (sans dimp's usual bullshit) such as Unleashed's Day Stages, Colors and Generations. Would love to see another Colors-esque game. So please do not ever go back to EMERALD HUNTING, WEREHOG, SHOOTIN' AND FISHIN'.

Werehog wasn't unplayable, just boring. Replace him with Knuckles, take out the "beat up 600 mooks" rooms and speed it up and that'd be okay.

I have no problem with alternate playstyles if they're done well, though Sonic's had a rocky history with that.

And keep Tails out of a mech ffs.

I liked the shooting segments from SA2, honestly, even though Tails was a bad fit for that. Playing as Eggman, Gamma or perhaps Omega, though? Works fine.

The controls for Eggman/Tails in SA2 were a bit worse compared to Gamma in SA1, though. Tails and Eggman were a bit heavier in the steering department and took forever to change directions if you happened to accidentally trigger a "skid" animation.

Sciz

He wasn't even aware of what the engine used to rebuild Sonic CD was called.

Well, yeah. Sonic CD 2011 was everything people could've possibly wanted out of a rebuild of the game. He clearly had nothing to do with it.

As far as alternate gameplay goes, the actual quote isn't quite as terrifying:

Iizuka said:
Ever since getting involved with Sonic Colours, going through to Generations, Episode 1 and now Episode 2, I’ve tried to make sure that this question of what Sonic fundamentally is has been answered, and is consistent. The essence of Sonic is what we’ve been trying to clarify, and drive home to people. Now that we’ve done this, I think we can actually start thinking about spin-offs and branches of the Sonic gameplay.

The way it's worded, he's talking about variations on the baseline already established by Sonic. Whether or not he can swing it is another question entirely, but at least it doesn't sound like we're diving straight back into gems 'n guns.

ShadiWulf

he is CLEARLY hinting at Sonic Adventure 3

watch us get a digital re-release of Sonic Adventure 2 this year, and then a Sonic Adventure 3 announcement sometime early next year.

It's honestly been so long since a game titled "Sonic Adventure" that I don't know if it's worth it to go back to that brand for a new game.

They could've very, very, very easily called Sonic 2006 "Sonic Adventure 3" but didn't. Same for Sonic Unleashed, technically, which was already called "Sonic World Adventure" in Japan.

They probably should have called it Sonic World Adventure worldwide, honestly. Unleashed plays up the damn werehog bits that everyone was at best apathetic towards. Meanwhile, World Adventure played up the "hey, here's Sonic boostin' round the world!" motif you could still get from the game by only playing the Day stages (obviously after beating the game, but still). Also, you could make a decent argument for "hey, this is the real Sonic Adventure 3, guys, no joke" with a name like that...

Sciz

SA3 is one of those ideas that's just going to end up pissing off absolutely everybody in some regard if it ever happens. Sega has moved on, and any attempt to make it would be an unholy fusion between their current principles and the past design decisions they abandoned for a reason.

qq more

SA3 is one of those ideas that's just going to end up pissing off absolutely everybody in some regard if it ever happens. Sega has moved on, and any attempt to make it would be an unholy fusion between their current principles and the past design decisions they abandoned for a reason.

Yeah. Honestly, the only thing they should EVER bring back from the Adventure games are the Chao Garden. It's the one thing I honestly miss from the 3D Sonic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom