• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that reminds me; I keep thinking "Spring Hill" is the name for a Sonic stage, despite, to the best of my knowledge, no such stage existing. (Closest I can think of is "Spring Valley"... from NiGHTS into Dreams...; wrong game series entirely!)

Never really cared about the reverse, "Green Yard", though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Actually, that reminds me; I keep thinking "Spring Hill" is the name for a Sonic stage, despite, to the best of my knowledge, no such stage existing. (Closest I can think of is "Spring Valley"... from NiGHTS into Dreams...; wrong game series entirely!)

Never really cared about the reverse, "Green Yard", though.

There's actually a Spring Hill Zone in Sonic Robo Blast 2.

qq more

One of my maps actually made it as an official CTF map for SRB2 at some point (this was back in 2004). It was called Iron Warehouse and it got removed because of how poorly designed it was. (The flag can get stuck in the chemical floors) :lol

I was never credited though due to a miscommunication or something, which is surprising because I originally released the map as just an add-on map.

You were probably credited as "Some Guy", then, which is apparently the team's way of saying "Anonymous".

Part of why Tree Ring didn't make it into 2.0, in fact, despite its popularity; we have no idea who the hell to contact about it.

Incidentally, I think it's possible to have the flag automatically return if it reaches a point where it can't be collected again, but I'm not sure?

Emitan

Guys, while I was out walking the dog I had the most amazing idea for a Sonic level ever; Silent Hill Zone. It's basically a shit gets rusty version of Green Hill Zone, with nurse and zombie dog badniks, and at the end you fight Robotnik in a huge Pyramid Head robot, and when you finish him off, the air raid siren sounds, Sonic wakes up and realizes that Tails never existed at all, he was just a product of Sonic's imagination.

I can't even blame not having taken my medication

Only if Tails was actually Tails Doll manipulating his mind.

qq more

You were probably credited as "Some Guy", then, which is apparently the team's way of saying "Anonymous".

Part of why Tree Ring didn't make it into 2.0, in fact, despite its popularity; we have no idea who the hell to contact about it.

Incidentally, I think it's possible to have the flag automatically return if it reaches a point where it can't be collected again, but I'm not sure?

Oh yes, it is actually possible. I've done a remake of the map back in 2008. It fixed many issues including that and the level was a bit more polished.

Though, it's probably still ugly as hell.

EDIT: Found my REALLY old SRB2 folder full of shitty addons a certain someone made.

>eggmanway

HOO BOY

EDIT2: Have they ever fixed the controls for 2D mode? I remember how annoying it was to control Sonic in the old versions.

The_End

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

I'd really love to play a new 2d Sonic game and Sonic 4 Ep1 looks like it would be pretty fun. But then I hear people saying it was absolutely dreadful and I think again.

There seems to be a lot of hate out there. What say you good people?

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

I'd really love to play a new 2d Sonic game and Sonic 4 Ep1 looks like it would be pretty fun. But then I hear people saying it was absolutely dreadful and I think again.

Sega set a ridiculous bar by calling it Sonic 4. It's far from the worst game in the series, but it has a pretty bland taste and plays nothing like the originals.

Also for 15 bucks it's kind of a rip. I don't know how much it's being sold for now.

Combichristoffersen

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

Honestly? Don't waste your time and money. The graphics aren't very good, level design is overall rather poor, the music isn't good at all (some people have referred to it as 'cat synths', presumably due to its wailing), the physics are borked and the bosses are just bad (with the final boss taking a ridiculous amount of hits). It's a bad game, and it's best to avoid it. If you haven't played the old 8-bit games, try playing those instead. Except for Sonic Blast which is just awful.

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

Have you played Sonic Rush? Play Sonic Rush. Or the CD re-doing.

If you've played both... play them again

Lijik

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

Some people will say "Well if they called it Sonic HD itd be a good game!" These people are wrong.

If you haven't touched the Sonic CD rerelease, the three platformers on the DS, or the Sonic Generations 3DS port then you have a lot of choices for 2D Sonic platforming that are far better than Sonic 4.

Emitan

So how's sonic 4 Ep 1?

It's an abortion. Not even comparing it to the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games, it's simply abysmal. The worst platformer I've ever played in my life.

It's an abortion. Not even comparing it to the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games, it's simply abysmal. The worst platformer I've ever played in my life.
You haven't played enough platformers if this is true.

It's thoroughly mediocre but far, far from the worst platformer I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

The_End

Sega set a ridiculous bar by calling it Sonic 4. It's far from the worst game in the series, but it has a pretty bland taste and plays nothing like the originals.

Also for 15 bucks it's kind of a rip. I don't know how much it's being sold for now.

Honestly? Don't waste your time and money. The graphics aren't very good, level design is overall rather poor, the music isn't good at all (some people have referred to it as 'cat synths', presumably due to its wailing), the physics are borked and the bosses are just bad (with the final boss taking a ridiculous amount of hits). It's a bad game, and it's best to avoid it. If you haven't played the old 8-bit games, try playing those instead. Except for Sonic Blast which is just awful.

Have you played Sonic Rush? Play Sonic Rush. Or the CD re-doing.

If you've played both... play them again

Some people will say "Well if they called it Sonic HD itd be a good game!" These people are wrong.

If you haven't touched the Sonic CD rerelease, the three platformers on the DS, or the Sonic Generations 3DS port then you have a lot of choices for 2D Sonic platforming that are far better than Sonic 4.

Thanks for the replies guys. Those are some pretty strong opinions against it. :(

I guess I'll just go back to Sonic 2 & 3+Knuckles.

Combichristoffersen

Sonic 4 is bad, but I'm sure I've played worse 2D platformers, although.. I can't think of any at the moment. Only ones that come to mind are Duke Nukem 1 and 2, but those aren't really bad, they just weren't as good as what the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles were offering at the time, and they haven't aged very well. Oh, and Sonic Blast. That game blew.

Lijik

Im not even sure if Sonic Blast is worse than Sonic 4, but they're about on the same level.

I go through periods where I actively seek out bad games, so I've played a lot worse than Sonic 4. The Oscar games on DSiWare are the first things that come to mind.

Well, I recall playing this Rugrats platformer on the GBC that was pretty thoroughly terrible. Couldn't attack any enemies. Had to collect X trinkets before reaching the exit, but getting hit once would lose all of them and force you to start from scratch. Falling from a great height would be instant death. Jump was on B, and A wasn't bound to anything. I think there was a time limit on top of all that, too. Utter garbage.

Also, Sonic 2K6 and Genesis are both much, much worse experiences than Sonic 4. Those are utter abominations. 4 was just mediocre.

Time to change the subject.

I was thinking. How many people would be against 'modern' Sonic games ditching the sidescrolling segments? All 3D gameplay. I think it would be much more fun. I just don't think that the current setup lends itself well to the 2D gameplay.

Well, I recall playing this Rugrats platformer on the GBC that was pretty thoroughly terrible. Couldn't attack any enemies. Had to collect X trinkets before reaching the exit, but getting hit once would lose all of them and force you to start from scratch. Falling from a great height would be instant death. Jump was on B, and A wasn't bound to anything. I think there was a time limit on top of all that, too. Utter garbage.

Alternatively, the Rugrats game on PS1 was the SHIT. The level with the psychotic murderous robot in the basement was some dark shit. Actually, there was a load of dark shit in that game. I should try play it again.

Also, I keep telling myself Toy Story 2 for N64/PS1 was good, but I don't want to pay 4 quid on PSN to find out if I'm right or not. D:

I was thinking. How many people would be against 'modern' Sonic games ditching the sidescrolling segments? All 3D gameplay. I think it would be much more fun. I just don't think that the current setup lends itself well to the 2D gameplay.

Agreed. I like those bits but I like the 3D segments a lot more.

Mistle

My favourite parts in generations were the modern levels (and I grew up with the Megadrive games), so yeah, I wouldn't mind leaving the sidescrolling to separate games.

Thanks for the replies guys. Those are some pretty strong opinions against it. :(

Wait a second, have you played Generations (Consoles/PC)? The physics aren't "OMG Perfect," but the level design disguises that very well without constant springs and dash panels, and there's a ton of excellent 2D Sonic content in it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Play Generations and Colours! :O

I dunno. I really like the 2D gameplay, since it's a nice change of pace. But a lot of my favourite levels in Generations were the Modern ones like Sky Sanctuary, Crisis City, Speed Highway, and Rooftop Run. Hm.

I wouldn't be against the modern games having the 3D gameplay with a smidge of 2D stuff... and SEGA introducing a "Classic Sonic" line of games with all 2D gameplay, tbh.

Combichristoffersen

I'd actually prefer if they just dropped most of the 3D parts and went more or less 2D only. I had fun with the modern levels in Generations, absolutely, but I preferred the 2D parts (with occasional 3D parts) of the classic levels.

Edit: or just make separate games for 2D and 3D. Then everyone would be happy.

3x1wo.png

He tried playing it a little bit about a week ago because we're worried I might have an edge over him. He gave up after what was less than ten minutes, I'm pretty sure.

I haven't actually started a new game in Sonic 2006 since... well, 2006, and I don't play it very often, either, so who knows how it'll go. The few times I've played it, I'm used to like, using gems to skip vast swaths of level. Not having those, or even some of the other skill upgrades right out of the gate might slow me down?

He mentioned handicapping me but we never decided on anything (partially because I told him we might not need it - but I still worry about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom