• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi, the game is trying to tell you that you're bad at games. :p

some bro in 1997 i dunno said:
Okay call me a nintendo loyalist . Call me a dreamer . Call me
whatever you like but , what I saw today on TV was the last straw for me
. When I Square left nintendo I'd say I took it well for a nine year
nintendo loyalist , just a few angry letters to square and nintendo .
When Square made a fighting game , I took it well for a 6 year Square rpg
loyalist . But when I saw that damned orange rat of sony's advertising
for FF7 I just blew up ! I couldn't take it , sony's orange rat and FF7 ?
No I couldn't take it . One day everyone will wake up and see that the
only thing sony has going for it is Square and FF7 . What happens if
Square sees profit elsewhere ? Sony is back to their orange rat . Say
what you like but , Square is going to new lows with Sony . I mean mario
was bad enough , but the orange rat ! Square is no longer the company I
once knew and loved .
QQ more

that damn orange rat!!! sony why you guys got orange rats?!

We haven't really spoken to Andy about the music lately. He probably doesn't need to do much for this year's demo since half of the new songs were already composed (sometime before SAGE 2012, the demo originally planned to have more zones but we ran out of time).

We recently just kind of come back, all we've accomplished today was planning things for the demo.

Andy has also uploaded the new songs to youtube many months ago so I think it's alright for me to link them.

Heated Heights Zone
Vermillion Voyage Zone
Ohhh, cool. Thanks for the info, qq. I'll check those themes out because I like what he did with the other zones in Emerald Ties.

Good luck in terms of planning for the demo! Hopefully the framerate in Polar Peak will be okay this time.

qq more

No, I don't think "damn orange rat" will violate his no-swear agreement.

At least, not quoting it from many years ago.

Come on, that wasn't obviously me. I would of have been 8 when I typed that! I never posted on an internet forum until... uhh 2002? I was a real awful poster though and I don't really want to talk about that!

Good luck in terms of planning for the demo! Hopefully the framerate in Polar Peak will be okay this time.

We've fixed the large performance issue that actually affected all of the levels in the post-SAGE demo. We were going to post an updated demo but we kept getting delayed and eventually realized it wasn't worth releasing the demo and just save the improvements for next SAGE.

Turns out the actual cause of the lag was the collision check on mostly item boxes.

EDIT: Wait... I can say Shadow's favorite word? Actually, nah, I won't. It would feel kind of cheating.

qq more

...By the way, if I lose... how long will it take for Stoutland to grow back his magnificent mustache? I've been meaning to ask this but I keep forgetting to.

ShadiWulf

Dark Schala are you going to be around for the sonic team stream? if so you should translate what Iizuka-san says for all of us. Spread his wisdom.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...By the way, if I lose... how long will it take for Stoutland to grow back his magnificent mustache? I've been meaning to ask this but I keep forgetting to.
I'm leaving that up to Kokonoe.

what am i watching here

no, seriously

Dark Schala are you going to be around for the sonic team stream? if so you should translate what Iizuka-san says for all of us. Spread his wisdom.
Should be 12 PM my time. I'm not sure if I'll be home for that because I'm scheduled to work that day. I'll try, though.

Seriously, I really don't want to miss an Iizuka interview. That Game Gear interview was pure gold.

Edit: Oh, derp. Because it's going to be at a reasonable time for the west, I wonder if American and European blog posts would go up around that time if something does get announced. Sonic was never as huge in Japan as he is here.

for example, Project Needlemouse was revealed to be Sonic 4 somewhere around Hedgehog Day, wasn't it?

ShadiWulf

I'm leaving that up to Kokonoe.

what am i watching here

no, seriously

Should be 12 PM my time. I'm not sure if I'll be home for that because I'm scheduled to work that day. I'll try, though.

Seriously, I really don't want to miss an Iizuka interview. That Game Gear interview was pure gold.

Edit: Oh, derp. Because it's going to be at a reasonable time for the west, I wonder if American and European blog posts would go up around that time if something does get announced. Sonic was never as huge in Japan as he is here.

for example, Project Needlemouse was revealed to be Sonic 4 somewhere around Hedgehog Day, wasn't it?

Yup, I definitely think something is going to happen, but were not going to get the awesome Iizuka interview the Japanese are getting. Part of the Sonic Team conference is talking about the history of sonic, and with such knowledgeable figures there such as Iizuka-san and Jun Senoue I gotta imagine it's going to be amazing hearing them talk about that.

I mean we all know iizuka-san just LOVES classic Sonic.

Did we ever get concrete sales figures on Episode 2? It's sort of bizarre how abrupt the ending is, with no reward for 100% completion and no obvious cliffhanger to a third episode (which unlike around Episode 1's release SEGA has kept tight-lipped about). Should we just take it S4:E3 isn't going to happen due to sales/reception?

Still can't get over how you could've just take Advance 1's engine/gameplay, Advance 2's visual aesthetics and Advance 3's music and you'd have something far closer to a proper Sonic 4, even if you decided to needlessly split it up into episodes.

Still can't get over how you could've just take Advance 1's engine/gameplay, Advance 2's visual aesthetics and Advance 3's music and you'd have something far closer to a proper Sonic 4, even if you decided to needlessly split it up into episodes.

It's like the entire project was a cheap aside handed off to a developer whose grasp of the franchise has shown to be inconsistent at best.

IBgIiNp.jpg

Oh.

I thought Advance 3's level aesthetics were more pleasing than 2...they were certainly more varied and there were more interesting levels as opposed to 2 which didn't have as many good ones, even though the good ones it had were very very good.

Eh, I always felt SA3 visually was a jumbled mess and SA1 was a bit too generic/realistic looking (a problem all three Rush games suffer from as well IMO). SA2 hit the sweetspot for being visually coherent while still looking like something from a Sonic game.

SA3 has a fantastic soundtrack though; was it done by a Sonic Team regular?

Guess Who

Banned
Did we ever get concrete sales figures on Episode 2? It's sort of bizarre how abrupt the ending is, with no reward for 100% completion and no obvious cliffhanger to a third episode (which unlike around Episode 1's release SEGA has kept tight-lipped about). Should we just take it S4:E3 isn't going to happen due to sales/reception?

Not sure if you heard, but there's actually sound files for an extra ending scene in the game, totally unused. My guess is they cut the extra ending at the last minute for the sake of not committing to an episode III.

Eh, I always felt SA3 visually was a jumbled mess and SA1 was a bit too generic/realistic looking (a problem all three Rush games suffer from as well IMO). SA2 hit the sweetspot for being visually coherent while still looking like something from a Sonic game.

Advance 1 tends to have the more realistic looking levels and I hated that at first but they've grown on me quite a bit...I would have enjoyed spending more time outside in Spy Base and all but beggars can't be choosers.

I thought only a couple of the SA3 levels were a mess like Route 99 or Ocean Base but once you played through them a bunch, you could get the hang of it.

Seperate note...where's my freaking expanded Sly 4 demo Sony (The one with the R&C Collection is pathetically short)? Jerks gonna make me get that bloody Plus service...=/

It's like I just listed a few other 'cheap aside' games by the same developer which managed to still be far better games than Sonic 4.

I don't think the Advance games were cheap asides in the way that Sonic 4 was, and even if they were there's a clear difference in the level of giveafuckism between the two projects. Even taking their issues in to account, there's a level of effort present in the Advance games that Sonic 4 doesn't come close to. It's pretty clear that nobody at Sega or Dimps gave any sort of shit about it.

The game's sound was handled by a number of Sega composers, yeah.

Not sure if you heard, but there's actually sound files for an extra ending scene in the game, totally unused. My guess is they cut the extra ending at the last minute for the sake of not committing to an episode III.
I hadn't, but I guess that's it then. Really think even if they went the cheap route with S4 they'd of been far better off waiting after Sonic Generations to think about how to continue that half of the series.*

Sucks since Episode 2 is more just incredibly average than outright bad like Episode 1; maybe the 3rd episode would've finally started resembling Generations in terms of quality?

I don't think the Advance games were cheap asides in the way that Sonic 4 was, and even if they were there's a clear difference in the level of giveafuckism between the two projects. Even taking their issues in to account, there's a level of effort present in the Advance games that Sonic 4 doesn't come close to. It's pretty clear that nobody at Sega or Dimps gave any sort of shit about it.
True, but it always felt like there was far more of a marketing push and hubbub over Sonic 4 than there was over any of Dimps' earlier titles (a LOT of sites seemed unaware there were any 2D sonic's being made after 1994 for instance). It struck me even moreso as weird since after Heroes put me off the franchise DIMPS' handheld games were the only thing I remotely did with Sonic until being tricked into buying Secret Rings Colors. With how annualized a lot of their Sonic games were after Advance 1 I don't think it's too unimaginable to think Sonic 4 had a comparable budget to the later Advances/Rushes.

Plus part of my point was if you're going to needlessly take assets from your earlier work, why not earlier work which actually makes sense given the context, like Sonic Advance 1's near-identical-to-the-old-games gameplay engine?

* Out of curiosity, what was the cut ending? Guessing it involved another cliffhanger allusion to an old character? (Knuckles/Amy/Nack?)

Pietepiet

Holy shit, looking good! So excited for this release. Gonna blast through this with the Metal Sonic mod.

I need a better gaming PC....

[EDIT] The whale looks way better since the fins don't clip through the water oddly. Always bugged me in Unleashed that there were no splashes when the fins hit the water.

Guess Who

Banned
* Out of curiosity, what was the cut ending? Guessing it involved another cliffhanger allusion to an old character? (Knuckles/Amy/Nack?)

Can't really say, since it's just a vague soundclip. We only know it's for an ending scene because of the way the files are numbered (cutscene sound tracks are numbered in order; this one is the very last numbered cutscene track). You can hear it at TCRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom