• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario ff

Banned
[EDIT] The whale looks way better since the fins don't clip through the water oddly. Always bugged me in Unleashed that there were no splashes when the fins hit the water.

That whale was a horrible asset. According to its files, it says the thing was outsourced to some SoC(Sega of China?), and the thing had some horrible skinning and and awkward skeleton. Chimera's still trying to fix that thing, but either my converter was off(which would be weird since pretty much everything works), or they just did some horrible hacks with that whale.

The thing was even DOUBLE the size that it is ingame! Apparently they just scaled the thing down ingame hardcoded? We had to make some comparisons with Unleashed taking overhead shots(since modding Unleashed is perfectly doable and easy in the same way as Generations)

Taking a break obviously the 31st for some ASRT tho.

Pietepiet

That whale was a horrible asset. According to its files, it says the thing was outsourced to some SoC(Sega of China?), and the thing had some horrible skinning and and awkward skeleton. Chimera's still trying to fix that thing, but either my converter was off(which would be weird since pretty much everything works), or they just did some horrible hacks with that whale.

The thing was even DOUBLE the size that it is ingame! Apparently they just scaled the thing down ingame hardcoded? We had to make some comparisons with Unleashed taking overhead shots(since modding Unleashed is perfectly doable and easy in the same way as Generations)

Taking a break obviously the 31st for some ASRT tho.

Holy crap, that's fucking nuts. Awesome to see this kind of dedication from you guys, though. Really looking forward to playing it.

qq more

Sucks since Episode 2 is more just incredibly average than outright bad like Episode 1; maybe the 3rd episode would've finally started resembling Generations in terms of quality

If they stop using Dimps to design the levels and terribad bosses, sure.

DAY 3 OF NO SWEARING CHALLENGE

oh hey look we're on page 333
oh noooooooo

qq more

We have to go deeper. How about we add no links with swears in the URL to the challenge? Or is that too mean?

Oh god that's impossible and would limit discussions from me!

EDIT: Oh wait, misread you. Thought you meant swearing in the actual pages, not the URL. Okay, that's completely possible seeing as how rare those kind of URLs are.

OMG Aero

What's Sonic Team's obsession with whales anyway?
I think it isn't so much as an obsession with whales specifically but more nostalgia pandering and their way of saying "Hey remember the whale scene in Sonic Adventure? Remember how amazed you were in 1999 by that? Well look here's another whale just like back then!"
oh noooooooo
Page 167
osvoX53.gif

DAY 3 OF NO SWEARING CHALLENGE

oh noooooooo
It's like "Cause and Effect" from Star Trek TNG!

If we're entering a situation where we're about to collide with another ship and potentially explode and enter an endless recursion of time, remember: listen to Riker.

Ripping off qqmore and decided to play through the Advance games (never played 'em before).

First Character: Sonic
First Level: Neo Green Hill Zone
First Enemy Seen: Crabmeat

...da fuk.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The final Sonic Unleashed Generations level seems just about done! Sounds like all that's left is building the hub and some last-minute polish.

Anticipation is at max! I've actually had the itch to go back to Sonic Unleashed recently and have held off strictly to play this.
Oh my gosh. This is why Generations should've had a winter level. It seems nicer than the original Unleashed level. More snow than ice, which completely fits better. Bobsled's much better.

I need a gaming PC. :(

What, really? Man. I never really liked the whale implementation in the games since Adventure. I never really saw it as the "series" staple/"wow factor" that Sega did.

More often than not, it comes off as Sega banging you over the head with the reference and it isn't really required in levels most of the time.

The voice samples make it.

We have to go deeper. How about we add no links with swears in the URL to the challenge? Or is that too mean?
...Yes. I think we should add that to the challenge. It's going to be funny. Unless it has to do with an announcement of a new Sonic game.

I think that's going a little over-the-top. It's not like qq more is the one swearing if he's linking to a post or an article written by another person.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think that's going a little over-the-top. It's not like qq more is the one swearing if he's linking to a post or an article written by another person.
Since when URLs of Sonic announcements have swearing in them?

Or do you mean the actual content of said link?
I was joking. It's not your work, so don't worry about posting a link to something with profanities in it.

qq, I feel like this challenge is making you be really strict with your posting habits and it's really affecting your style. It's kinda weird to read some of your posts because it's not in your style. But it's just for one week.

Also, paging Emitan. I'm not posting in the FE: Awakening thread because some of the people in there seem to be into the game because of waifu possibilities and it turns me off to posting in FE threads entirely.

dsc004504jpyh.jpg

That reminds me; remember this post I made in this thread about Square Enix and Tomb Raider? Well...

I'm seriously beginning to wonder how deeply you can draw the parallels between the fall of the Sonic franchise and everything Square Enix is doing right now. How long until they make a Final Fantasy so bad that the media finally stops paying the series lip service, and only the (regrettably sizable) fanbase still likes it? Y'know, Final Fantasy's Sonic 2006.

qq more

I was joking. It's not your work, so don't worry about posting a link to something with profanities in it.

qq, I feel like this challenge is making you be really strict with your posting habits and it's really affecting your style. It's kinda weird to read some of your posts because it's not in your style. But it's just for one week.
Oh okay. PHEW

Also the challenge is okay, I'm honestly getting used to it. It's kind of interesting to be honest. :lol

Also, paging Emitan. I'm not posting in the FE: Awakening thread because some of the people in there seem to be into the game because of waifu possibilities and it turns me off to posting in FE threads entirely.

dsc004504jpyh.jpg
I am honestly really glad the OT title didn't have the word "Waifu" or any other irritating unfunny weeaboo slang in it (ironic or not). Mainly because many people came up with possible titles for the OT and most of them involved the word Waifu or something else equally dumb. I'll probably be avoiding the thread anyways though.

Also, I just want to say I am so glad there is a thread such as this one where I can vent about weeaboo speak. It's just so painfully unfunny.

Yeah, Square Enix (At least the Japanese side) is off their fucking rocker these days. The only thing I'm kinda sorta looking forward to purchasing from them is an HD Collection.

A fucking HD Collection.

"Collection" is a bit generous for 2 games and a bunch of re-rendered cutscenes.

Why on earth haven't they released FFX/XII in HD yet? Or Dragon Quest 8?

Sciz

qq's probably already writing up the most obscenity-laden post in the history of GAF, to be unleashed on his tormentors the second this challenge is up.

I need a gaming PC. :(
The lack of Japanese developers is the only real downside, and even that's changing these days.

OMG Aero

I heard that in Fire Emblem you can marry a character who, due to ~~anime magic physics~~, is 100+ years old but looks like a little girl and the game actually calls you out on it.
Is what I've heard accurate?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That reminds me; remember this post I made in this thread about Square Enix and Tomb Raider? Well...

I'm seriously beginning to wonder how deeply you can draw the parallels between the fall of the Sonic franchise and everything Square Enix is doing right now. How long until they make a Final Fantasy so bad that the media finally stops paying the series lip service, and only the (regrettably sizable) fanbase still likes it? Y'know, Final Fantasy's Sonic 2006.
I've already said my piece to the Square Enix community manager who wrote that article in that thread while trying to be as courteous as I can. Post 1, Post 2.

It's the higher-ups at SE who need to realize that the Eidos and SE fans aren't going to be brought together by PRs, especially since the SE fanbase has just as many crevasses as the Sonic fanbase does. SE fansites have been shutting down left and right, Final Fantasy boards and threads have been riddled with disagreements and arguments that it's hard to read them, etc. You want to bring together those fanbases now? With a PR statement that's completely weird to read? Give me a break.

SE NA needs to learn how to market shit better, and the people at SE Japan really need to learn what their fans want, or what tastes their fans have--both good and bad (ie: I'm remembering that one time they asked people what they thought of Lightning, and only positive comments were being approved). They've had their heads stuck in the sand for far too long as a consequence of not being able to keep up with development cycles, or trying to stop Nomura from being a damned stubborn perfectionist in that he's changed Versus's engine/aesthetics several times since its announcement. Just make it a movie at that rate.

Final Fantasy's Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic Heroes was probably Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. Final Fantasy's Sonic Adventure was probably Final Fantasy X.

Since they're banking everything on Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, it'd better be damn good. They have almost everyone and their mother working on that project (which is why we're seeing more Lightning titles and no sign of Versus--because XIV bombed and they want to save face so producing more FF13 titles is their way of trying to satisfy the SP fanbase and recoup all the money they've lost when FFXIV was free, and to recoup all the money they're throwing at FFXIV), and they're throwing tons of money at it.

qq more

Well, they're already remaking DQ7. If they were to mess with DQ8, they might just do a Wii U or 3DS remake.

qq's probably already writing up the most obscenity-laden post in the history of GAF, to be unleashed on his tormentors the second this challenge is up.
>.>

<.<

>.>

<.<
FF XIV 2.0 looks pretty cool...
I never really played FF much... I was always a DQ person

and by always I mean since I first played DQ4 on the DS a few years ago.

I heard that in Fire Emblem you can marry a character who, due to ~~anime magic physics~~, is 100+ years old but looks like a little girl and the game actually calls you out on it.
God, I hope the game does call you out on that. That is just unacceptable otherwise. FE 3DS has some weird creepy pandering to it, even to the point they redesigned past FE characters (for DLC) in... a creepy way. Ugh that FE 10 girl's redesign is the worst. I forgot how to spell her name, she's the one with the silver color hair.

Heropon

God, I hope the game does call you out on that. That is just unacceptable otherwise. FE 3DS has some weird creepy pandering to it, even to the point they redesigned past FE characters (for DLC) in... a creepy way. Ugh that FE 10 girl's redesign is the worst. I forgot how to spell her name, she's the one with the silver color hair.

Micaiah? Yeah, she looked horrendous, but other DLC character designs were pretty good.

By that I mean I still don't expect them to do an HD port/remake anytime soon.

Oh right. Well yeah, of course they won't. They're idiots. They are, without a doubt, the most incompetent developer in the world.

Look how long it's taking them to redo FFX HD. Call up Bluepoint, you morons.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That sort of thing ("I'm hundreds of years old so don't call me a kid!") seems to happen often in this series, so it's really not new. I have to say that I'm not too fond of the marriage mechanic, just because it makes me start thinking of Record of Agarest War, but it's IntSys, so I figure it'll be done in a much more balanced way than Agarest did. Hm.. we'll see.

Those creeps wanted "TACTICAL WAIFU ACTION" as the |OT| title... :/
I am honestly really glad the OT title didn't have the word "Waifu" or any other irritating unfunny weeaboo slang in it (ironic or not). Mainly because many people came up with possible titles for the OT and most of them involved the word Waifu or something else equally dumb. I'll probably be avoiding the thread anyways though.

Also, I just want to say I am so glad there is a thread such as this one where I can vent about weeaboo speak. It's just so painfully unfunny.
I peeked into an FE discussion thread once and didn't really like what I saw. I mean, great, you like the character designs and think they're cute, but some of it kinda borders on creepy. And it makes me feel like I come to the series for a completely different reason than what some other people seem to.

Just to be clear I meant strictly in the URL. I only thought it up because of this post.

And the URL is "http://laughable-lion-king-art.tumblr.com/post/41578166212/bryko-rip-the-fuck-did-i-just-watch"
Nah, that's fine. He can't control that, especially if he censors it, it'll just break the link.

All I care about SE is just Dragon Quest

Is X going to be localized?
I have a feeling that a lot of the DQ stuff might be dependent on how Nintendo's feeling about the game. It would probably be somewhat beneficial to both companies to localize DQX. They're probably just waiting for the Wii U version to be released rather than localizing the Wii version.

Because they're busy with FFXIV and KH 1.5 first.

You'd be surprised with how many resources that FFXIV seems to be eating up, apparently.

The lack of Japanese developers is the only real downside, and even that's changing these days.
Falcom used to be really into putting their games on PC first and foremost, and then they moved to the handheld market when they saw that it became incredibly profitable. But I do wish they'd go back to the PC in some cases because it would then be easier to localize/patch some of their games.

Most of the Japanese PC games I've played have been VNs or something along those lines, and I wish more companies would jump on the wagon and diversify the genre makeup a bit. They aren't necessarily technologically impressive, but if they made leaps and bounds in that area, maybe then more people might play them.

qq more

I have a feeling they're just saving it for a DQ8 remake on 3DS or Wii U considering how they've already remade DQ1-3 on GBC, DQ4-6 on DS and now DQ7 on 3DS.

Because they're busy with FFXIV and KH 1.5 first.

You'd be surprised with how many resources that FFXIV seems to be eating up, apparently.

I don't think there's a reasonable explanation for why they're doing it in-house, though. Use an external company. Bluepoint are fantastic at this, it's their wheelhouse.

It's the same mistake Nintendo are making now with Wind Waker. People would be happy with an up-res, don't muck around with it, don't be weird. Follow the lead of HD collections that have come before you.

edit: ok time to break up my whining

6zt2oJd.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^I take back everything.

That is the best thing that's come out of Sonic Generations. Would've been better if Eggman were standing in T-formation.

I have a feeling they're just saving it for a DQ8 remake on 3DS or Wii U considering how they've already remade DQ1-3 on GBC, DQ4-6 on DS and now DQ7 on 3DS.
Wait until next generation. They'd probably ask for Level-5's help since they're the ones who worked on that game.

Why do I feel like the only person who doesn't hate a single game?
You haven't played enough games, then. :p

I don't think there's a reasonable explanation for why they're doing it in-house, though. Use an external company. Bluepoint are fantastic at this, it's their wheelhouse.
I think they're a little iffy about letting other people handle their mainline games. It's just like how they're unlikely to allow another company localize Type-0 despite it being in their best interests.

And what's with all of this sudden pandering by Fire Emblem?
I don't know. -_-

I was actually really disappointed when I saw the direction that Kakusei was heading in with respect to artstyle and some other stuff. I said to myself that I'll see how I feel when I play it, but y'know. My favourite FE games are the SFC games, so my impression of the series might be different from those who started with the GCN/Wii titles or the GBA games.

Noi

SE NA needs to learn how to market shit better, and the people at SE Japan really need to learn what their fans want, or what tastes their fans have--both good and bad (ie: I'm remembering that one time they asked people what they thought of Lightning, and only positive comments were being approved). They've had their heads stuck in the sand for far too long as a consequence of not being able to keep up with development cycles, or trying to stop Nomura from being a damned stubborn perfectionist in that he's changed Versus's engine/aesthetics several times since its announcement. Just make it a movie at that rate.

Since they're banking everything on Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, it'd better be damn good. They have almost everyone and their mother working on that project (which is why we're seeing more Lightning titles and no sign of Versus--because XIV bombed and they want to save face so producing more FF13 titles is their way of trying to satisfy the SP fanbase and recoup all the money they've lost when FFXIV was free, and to recoup all the money they're throwing at FFXIV), and they're throwing tons of money at it.

I'm losing my patience with people who make excuses for SE regarding the XIII titles, where they try to wave off any guilt in SE's part where "they had no choice to keep making XIII titles" because of XIV. They're the ones that allowed themselves to to be put in that situation, and I'm not gonna give them free money for games I'm starting to just not care about.

This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of the idea that "voting with your wallet" is the answer to every problem. I want to support Fire Emblem in the west, but I don't like the direction that this game took. I'd have no hesitation over supporting an FE12 localization in the west. Yet with Nintendo, poor sales are more likely to be seen as "western gamers don't care about Fire Emblem" rather than "there's something about this game they don't like", as evidenced with Shadow Dragon.

I've seen more people talk about FEA as "I can't wait until it comes out so I can marry X!" than anything else. Label this as an old man yells at clouds moment, but I hate that this is what it's come to for that series.

Oh right. Well yeah, of course they won't. They're idiots. They are, without a doubt, the most incompetent developer in the world.

Look how long it's taking them to redo FFX HD. Call up Bluepoint, you morons.

It says enough that they're still being ultra vague about whether that's a remake or an HD up-port. You could tell me that they haven't even started working on it and I'd believe you.

qq more

This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of the idea that "voting with your wallet" is the answer to every problem. I want to support Fire Emblem in the west, but I don't like the direction that this game took. I'd have no hesitation over supporting an FE12 localization in the west. Yet with Nintendo, poor sales are more likely to be seen as "western gamers don't care about Fire Emblem" rather than "there's something about this game they don't like".

I've seen more people talk about FEA as "I can't wait until it comes out so I can marry X!" than anything else. Label this as an old man yells at clouds moment, but I hate that this is what it's come to for that series.
I was never into FE much but I agree with what you said. RIP Fire Emblem's dignity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom