• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

iizuka-san was definitely hands on for generations, even if hes not credited as such. No one else would of chose so many cities to represent the history of Sonic, and no one else would of remade the GUN truck, or perfect chaos to be even more crazy.

There actually an interview with iizuka where he talked about how generations allowed him to visit his past creations and make them even better.

That's weird in that case then... why would he not be credited?

Kokonoe

Banned
What?

Ohhh, you mean that I had no idea? I had to preorder a few niche games, so...

You've made more threads than me, though my threads aren't really that meaningful, haha. Still, it's nice to see RTTP/LTTP posts that come from people who aren't 1-2 hours into the game and barely put effort into their OP with respect to what they think of the game they're playing/they've played.

Are you going after the true ending? You just need to do a few sidequests for that. If I can fish up the post I made in the official thread for that, I'll post it somewhere.

Thanks again, that's why I try because I don't care for such LTTPs myself.

True ending? Well, I guess I will now that I know about it. Right now I'm in SH finale, the part where
you fight the places you would have died normally in history.

Man that Perfect Chaos fight in Generations kinda sucked ass :/

Needed more Super Sonic, and Chaos not being entirely liquid and having that weird skin was well...weird.

qq more

Super Sonic would be kind of out of place considering you were only halfway to all of the emeralds by that time.

I think fighting it as just Sonic was a very interesting concept. My major gripe about the boss fights in the game is the lack of playing as whatever Sonic you wanted to be. I totally wanted to fight Perfect Chaos as Classic Sonic... would of have been so cool to see what the fight would of have been like in his gameplay perspective.

Kokonoe

Banned
No. Needed SUPER.

Also, I really like Mario All-Stars Mario 3. I mean it may not have the black world, but it's just a far less buggy game with a better resolution and nice music. I miss the ice world in the beginner area, but being able to save everywhere is nice too.

Kokonoe

Banned
My only real issues with the bosses in Generations were how easy they were, until Time Eater then it becomes confusingly difficult.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
True ending? Well, I guess I will now that I know about it. Right now I'm in SH finale, the part where
you fight the places you would have died normally in history.
You can still do it; I don't remember if there's even a point of no return in this game. You just need to do 10 of the sidequests:

This thread on GameFAQs will help out a bit: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/604160-radiant-historia/58266464. I'm sure GameFAQs must have a guide up by now.

The quests you need for the true ending are:
Standard History
The King’s Daughter – Chapter 1 (Anna in Alistel)
What was Inherited – Chapter 1 (Children in front of Weapon shop in Alistel)
Mankind and Beastkind – Chapter 2 (Guard on the left-hand side in Granorg), which finishes in Chapter 6
Dias Assassination – Chapter 3 (Guy dying at gate in Granorg)
An Unwanted Reunion – Chapter 5 (Ricky in Cygnus)

Alternate History
Red Letter Day – Chapter 1 (Research lab in Alistel--talk to the researcher in the room next to Sonja's room)
A Letter to Tomorrow – Chapter 1 (Cedric in Alistel)
Wandering Soul – Chapter 3 (Vanoss in Alistel)
The Beast God’s Birth – Chapter 5 (Galva (the elder) in Forgia)
At Journey’s End – Chapter 5 (Marco in Skalla)

Just note that whenever that thread tells you to go to the node
Skalla Liberated
, you can use the
Gafka and the Scrolls
node instead as a shortcut.

This was from when I was a junior. @___@ Oh yeah, have you been doing some of the quests to get extra skills or did you fight the hidden boss?

iizuka-san was definitely hands on for generations, even if hes not credited as such. No one else would of chose so many cities to represent the history of Sonic, and no one else would of remade the GUN truck, or perfect chaos to be even more crazy.

There actually an interview with iizuka where he talked about how generations allowed him to visit his past creations and make them even better.
I think I remember reading that. To his credit, he did make them better in some cases. Better enough to make people feel like Sonic Generations was a step in the right direction.

The one LTTP I've made was short lived, but it's not surprising considering the game in question.
How did I miss that thread? That game sucks, but I still played it to completion. :|

I remember seeing you playing that on PSN and wondering why the hell you were playing it. But then I remembered that it's basically an automatic platinum, haha.

qq more

The one LTTP I've made was short lived, but it's not surprising considering the game in question.

That game sounds honestly painful. And good god is that boxart sooooooo cliche and generic.

No. Needed SUPER.
On the bright side, it's possible to go super when you unlock Super Sonic, right? Or am I wrong about that? I've never tried Super Sonic in boss fights.

Also, I really like Mario All-Stars Mario 3. I mean it may not have the black world, but it's just a far less buggy game with a better resolution and nice music. I miss the ice world in the beginner area, but being able to save everywhere is nice too.
NES SMB3 was buggy? Been wayyyy too long ago since I last played it, I grew up on the SNES version mostly and I really prefer it for the save function too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have to agree with the boss fights not being that great in Generations. They were, for the most part, easy. I saw where they were going with the Perfect Chaos fight in that they made it more of a platforming segment than a boss fight, but it was still kind of odd in that it lacked the gravity that the original boss fight had.

... Oh well, ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.

That game sounds honestly painful. And good god is that boxart sooooooo cliche and generic.
that's not even the english boxart

Noi

How did I miss that thread? That game sucks, but I still played it to completion. :|

I remember seeing you playing that on PSN and wondering why the hell you were playing it. But then I remembered that it's basically an automatic platinum, haha.

You know that I got the platinum for Neptunia, I just play awful games because I can. See: Jak II. x_x

That game wasn't so much awful as it was boring. Like nothing you did in it was exciting in any form.

Outland got a retail release?
tumblr_mgir5yw2x11rvzu9do1_250.gif

Quackula

NES SMB3 was buggy? Been wayyyy too long ago since I last played it, I grew up on the SNES version mostly and I really prefer it for the save function too.

All I remember being buggy in the original is the graphical issues on the side of the screen when you scroll, which was because of the way they had the mappers set up for two way scrolling.

MegaMan2-1.PNG

I'm so glad I'm not the only one starring at that door in the (otherwise totally awesome) intro

Also, I found someone who also thinks MM4 is the best of the classic series. Yay!

Noi

Even the easy ones I see as a barrier to the next level! But yes those are pretty easy.

Doesn't get any better than "oh no.... oh no.... oh no..." and you move on! I can't really think of any boss fights that I genuinely enjoyed other than the Egg Nega Wisp.

That's what happens when you build bosses around the only plan of attack being "jump on top/into him!" and for a general audience of non-superhumans. See: all the piss-easy boss fights in the 2d (N)SMB series

I usually don't mind boss fights in this series.

I mean, I've hit roadblocks with them before...
  • Labyrinth Zone was a bitch if you didn't keep up a good pace and wound up underwater
  • Big Arm was a bit tricky to hit correctly without landing in the titular arms or the spikes on his top
  • That big mecha at the end of Death Egg in S&K gave me issues with the huge honkin' Master Emerald laser, until I realized that with good timing, it's not only possible to jump over, but not that hard to either
  • The race against Metal Sonic at Stardust Speedway is rather tense with that damned instant-kill laser beam being ever-present on a terrain designed to slow you down enough that it can easily catch up
  • The Mecha Green Hill Zone monkey thing always gave me issues as a kid so I had to cheat to see Aqua Planet for a brief while
  • The Sunset Hill train somehow caused me Game Overs in the past despite being really easy nowadays
  • Egg Viper somehow gave me an hour's worth of frustration the first time I fought him in late 1999
  • The vs. Hero/Dark fights in Sonic Adventure 2 seem to be a total gamble as to whether or not your target will deflect your attack
But otherwise, I've rarely had issues with them.

Except for one boss. I think you can easily guess which boss that is, but in case you can't:
its level shares a name with one of the four cartoon series

"people's souls", god that's awkward

Why not just "souls"? Don't want to confuse your absolving with animal souls, perhaps? Sonic and his shitty friends to burn in the eternal hellfire confirmed. Nice work, savior!

"people's souls", god that's awkward

Why not just "souls"? Don't want to confuse your absolving with animal souls, perhaps? Sonic and his shitty friends to burn in the eternal hellfire confirmed. Nice work, savior!
SHE IS THE GODDESS OF HELLFIRE
AND SHE BRINGS YOU
Fire
She'll take you to burn
Fire
She'll take you to learn
She'll see you burn

Except for one boss. I think you can easily guess which boss that is, but in case you can't:
its level shares a name with one of the four cartoon series

Play the proper version of the game and that boss is fine.

Lightning come to absolve us of the sin of criticising Toriyama's masterpieces.

"Forgive them father, they know not what they do."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys are good at analyzing models and making things. Can you tell me why this character really rubs me the wrong way in terms of me not wanting to look at it for a long period of time?

I want to attribute it to it running into the uncanny valley, but some people are legit calling her cute when I think she looks really off and not pleasant to look at at all.

So Lightning has a God complex now?
She was the goddess's delegate in FF13-2 and was entrusted with goddess powers or something.

i dunno.

That "saviour" quote just made me laugh out loud.

It's amazing because of mai wai-I can't go on...=(
Heh heh.

Her head is REALLY big for her body. Like 20-something Lighting on 10-year old gothic loli. She could audition for the role of the Queen of Hearts in the next Kingdom Hearts game, perhaps.

Noi

Awkward phrasing? You're talking about the series that has a sentence with someone saying something like "Cocoon's Fal'Cie is a L'Cie'". It's almost par for the course.

You guys are good at analyzing models and making things. Can you tell me why this character really rubs me the wrong way in terms of me not wanting to look at it for a long period of time?

I want to attribute it to it running into the uncanny valley, but some people are legit calling her cute when I think she looks really off and not pleasant to look at at all.

I want to punch her face.

She has chubby cheeks.

I dunno, that's the first thing I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom