• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that list of "annoying NeoGAF memes" that we were coming up with? Can we add "Wii U isn't next-gen" to it? Because that one's starting to get old. It's part of the 8th generation, just like Durango and Orbis are, hardware be damned.

Kokonoe

Banned
Remember that list of "annoying NeoGAF memes" that we were coming up with? Can we add "Wii U isn't next-gen" to it? Because that one's starting to get old. It's part of the 8th generation, just like Durango and Orbis are, hardware be damned.

But Wii U is only Super Vegeta and those are Perfect Cell level.

BlackJace

I wish "next gen" would just be banned already. Oh, and X.gif, as pretty as it is.

It's funny to see how people warp the definition of next gen to their own agenda, it's all about the sheer power apparently, guess this means 3DS is a gen behind Vita as well.

qq more

On that note I find it funny how people called DS and 3DS underpowered just because PSP/Vita are stronger than their respective competitors. The DS was definitely not underpowered for its time, it was still a big leap over the GBA. PSP was just ahead of its time if anything. Same to Vita.

I mean yes, they're underpowered compared to the PSP/Vita, but not compared to previous generations. And this is seriously not a bad thing. I mean... do they want handhelds to become expensive? I mean the 3DS was overpriced and look at how that turned out, they had to cut the price to make it appealing. The Vita is selling at a loss (or was) and it started as $250 and look at what's happening to it.

Dedicated handhelds should remain cheap and not rely on cutting edge technology, it just does not fit the market at all.

I think I'll stop because I'm getting a bit too into this more than I wanted to. Haha

Generations have always been about time...why do people have to think otherwise?

No joke, I brought that up and someone claimed I was holding an agenda. Console wars threads are the dumbest things, I'm so glad I stopped bothering with them.

BlackJace

Bah, I like you guys because it seems like you all don't care about that shit. So let's just squash it and agree that Gaming Side will be Gaming Side.

Console wars are pretty dumb, I mean... I play on everything so they don't really matter to me.

HOW DARE YOU PLAY GAMES!

tumblr_ma0bcqh0Rn1qa9kon.gif

If you guys would stay out of those threads they wouldn't bother you so much.

>_>

The Squeenix threads are like a big bright lamp and I'm like a moth, intricately drawn to the light, getting burned when I stepped inside and bouncing away but the light is too addicting to leave behind.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wouldn't say they were underpowered, it's just the PSP and Vita are insane for their time. Although I'm sure the 3DS might have a bit better graphics if they didn't put all that effort into 3D which rose the cost of it.

And I mean, the next generation stuff people are misunderstanding each other as there is the actual meaning, and the slang meaning people use to describe a leap in hardware because usually with next generations of hardware, we always saw a tremendous leap in specs. I mean, there would be no point in buying a new system if it did not make the last system inferior by hardware.

Yes, the Wii U is literally a next generation console, but what people are talking about is that it's graphics aren't anything new, and are still very much comparable to consoles from 2005-2006.

Slang causes a lot of misconception with things sometimes, however.

The Squeenix threads are like a big bright lamp and I'm like a moth, intricately drawn to the light, getting burned when I stepped inside and bouncing away but the light is too addicting to leave behind.

I do go to Square Enix threads to drop some vitriol so I guess I really can't talk.

They seem to be blinded by light though.

Man that pun is getting old but it's so damn fitting.

They're young, driven only by their emotions and hormones so they really aren't that much in control of themselves but the light is so strong. Maybe we just need to pull the plug on their idol.

They're young, driven only by their emotions and hormones so they really aren't that much in control of themselves but the light is so strong. Maybe we just need to pull the plug on their idol.

I can't wait for LR to come out so she can be forgotten quickly.

And she will be, because her games weren't worth much of anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Please stop talking in-depth about games that aren't due out for another 2 months.

Very impolite.

;_;
But you guys don't seem mad when I talk about games I import with little chance of coming out here!

Speaking of which, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that Digimon Adventure PSP game!

Are you playing on Lunatic, Schala? I won't play it at any other difficulty than what you recommend.
I started a playthrough on Hard and figured that was kind of easy (on classic; I guess on Casual if your avatar's unit falls in combat it's game over, but if everyone else dies, you can still recover them, so it's an easier version of Hard). Lunatic seems more up my alley and forces me to use the double-up system the game has more often.

So... Casual Lunatic : you don't have to care about units' death, so feel free to give less craps about letting your other units die to give Chrom and the Avatar more XP (Avatar gains XP like nobody's business). You can use your other units as aggro units. Even if you're still relying on Frederick to be your tank, he doesn't have a lot of work cut out for him. So... even if you come into contact with a lot of enemies, they still pose little threat. It's like playing Hard on Classic.

Classic Lunatic : of course units' deaths matter. Frail units are usually kept out of the way or paired up with someone else (usually switch the offensive with the healers/squishies so the offensive parties can lead the attack and can shoulder more damage). If you still want to break the game, put them to rout with Frederick, and mop up with the Avatar and Chrom. Just play seriously in case you get into a case where you get critically-attacked. Generally your squishies are going to bring up the rear, but I like to pair them up with some tanks or faster people just in case.

Wow, I feel like I've gone back to 2006 where people were saying the Wii wasn't next gen.

It's a new system. It's part of the next generation. ffs.

Noi

Dedicated handhelds should remain cheap and not rely on cutting edge technology, it just does not fit the market at all.

I heavily disagree. I hate the middle ground that the 3DS is currently stuck in between the low power route of the DS and the high powered Vita/mobile phones, where developers insist on making 3D games for it despite not looking as good as other platforms, but also pass on 2D because sprites are hard to make. Hell, it's not even about graphics, having more power behind your handheld means the developer can do more things with it.

The Vita not selling well has a lot of reasons behind it, but being "cutting edge" isn't one of them. I'd hate it if the Vita was just a slightly different 3DS with the same games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Some of them are older than you think.

Some of them are older than you are or I am, to give you some perspective.

qq more

I heavily disagree. I hate the middle ground that the 3DS is currently stuck in between the low power route of the DS and the high powered Vita/mobile phones, where developers insist on making 3D games for it despite not looking as good as other platforms, but also pass on 2D because sprites are hard to make. Hell, it's not even about graphics, having more power behind your handheld means the developer can do more things with it.
Not sure where this came from since I was speaking about power in general. Of course power is more than just graphics!

The Vita not selling well has a lot of reasons behind it, but being "cutting edge" isn't one of them.
I should clarify what I mean by that. Cutting edge leads to higher costs which leads to a more expensive handheld. All I'm saying is that the market just aren't interested in dedicated gaming handheld systems with a 250 dollar price tag. The 3DS's launch and its price cut is proof of that. And yeah the Vita is selling badly for other reasons but I think the price is part of the problem too.

I'm just speaking from a business point of view. I think it was a smart idea for Nintendo to not go cutting edge on the 3DS. I know the Vita has great hardware and I wouldn't doubt that!

The History of Sonic just arrived. Really nice stuff, I must say!
I've been hearing of a collector's edition. Where can I get that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom