• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Her head is REALLY big for her body. Like 20-something Lighting on 10-year old gothic loli. She could audition for the role of the Queen of Hearts in the next Kingdom Hearts game, perhaps.
Her head being big for her body makes her cute, doesn't it?! D:

(It's just really weird to look at.)

I want to punch her face.
Well, I know how you feel about it! Hahahaha.

She has chubby cheeks.

I dunno, that's the first thing I noticed.
It's supposed to accentuate her giant pixie eyes and her duck lips.

Shadow Hog said:
Sonic is now a White Mage!

Pffffft hahahahahahahahahah
Actually, it'd be interesting if there were some jobs that some of the characters couldn't equip because they don't innately support it stat-wise.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like turned based, but I am not one for the sexualized chibi art style myself. I can post images later if you are curious to what I mean.

Ye... yes?

how'd that happen?
KuGsj.gif

also this lightning returns screenshot is amazing because of its textures and dialogue

I was in the middle of responding to your Radiant Historia post and qq more and then that happened when I hit submit. I guess I'm elite haxorz now.

She's a savior now? This is sounding awfully like a subject I don't talk about.

Noi

Not gonna lie, I was legit mad when "All The Bravest" was revealed to not be Bravely Default's localized name. Way to fucking blow the perfect name on a shitty iOS game, SE.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i dont really follow BDFF but is it actually sexualized?
Yeah, I remember Aeana talking about how there's some stuff in the game that didn't need to be there, like dialogue/scene-wise.

I was in the middle of responding to your Radiant Historia post and qq more and then that happened when I hit submit. I guess I'm elite haxorz now.

She's a savior now? This is sounding awfully like a subject I don't talk about.
"Back button" is a legit saviour.

Yeah, she's special.

qq more

Not gonna lie, I was legit mad when "All The Bravest" was revealed to not be Bravely Default's localized name. Way to fucking blow the perfect name on a shitty iOS game, SE.
Haha wow. They really should of have saved that name for the localization, indeed. It sounds like a decent game name. What a waste
Yeah, I remember Aeana talking about how there's some stuff in the game that didn't need to be there, like dialogue/scene-wise.

Yuckkkk

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I heard the party chats in the game are kinda Tales-like or pander to a particular audience (some of the job design kind of hints to that)... Lots of otaku stuff in those. Some of the party chats are straight-up anime, though.

I guess the rest of the story's alright, but I don't want to be spoiled so I barely know anything about it.

Outside of that, apparently the game's really good. Like a proper successor to Final Fantasy V that I'd probably enjoy.

So she's some kind of bug-eyed duck chipmunk

Got it
This sounds like something that could be a weird mutant Sonic character in Penders's universe.

qq more

Okay I'll contact Square Enix. I hope they love the idea of my Shadow The Hedgehog RPG and realize the true potential of my masterpiece

That's what you fans want, right? (laughs)

Kokonoe

Banned

Well, this is what I was talking about from the artwork or game models. It just looks odd, especially at the proportions on the the bottom pic, the blonde haired woman in the skintight supposed armor.

"Back button" is a legit saviour.

Yeah, she's special.

When I hit back, it wouldn't let me and said something about the page or whichever. My post was essentially thanking you for the information and something else I don't recall. Darn memory.

Kokonoe

Banned
what was your reply to my post originally going to be?

I was going to tell you that Mario 3 NES was kinda buggy, and even Miyamoto was embarrassed about it. It's not broken by any means and is actually well done, but some things are kinda buggy. The main thing is there is this screen tearing issue that is there no matter what version of the game you play, if you take a look at any lets play on youtube you will see portions of the screen on the left side. The other issues being some slowdown the game has (like a lot of NES games).

qq more

I was going to tell you that Mario 3 NES was kinda buggy, and even Miyamoto was embarrassed about it. It's not broken by any means and is actually well done, but some things are kinda buggy. The main thing is there is this screen tearing issue that is there no matter what version of the game you play, if you take a look at any lets play on youtube you will see portions of the screen on the left side. The other issues being some slowdown the game has (like a lot of NES games).

oh those... yeah ive kind of noticed them haha

had no idea miyamoto was embarrassed... but that makes sense given how much he cares for his own games!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kokonoe didn't post some of the jobs with more risque clothing (though I think they're supposed to be part of sidequests?). Those designs are actually tame in comparison.

The tropey dialogue stuff kinda bothers me a little more.

Okay I'll contact Square Enix. I hope they love the idea of my Shadow The Hedgehog RPG and realize the true potential of my masterpiece

That's what you fans want, right? (laughs)
Iizuka would do that.

Special Lightning Cameo in the Shadow RPG.

Edit: They should just team up with the Good Toriyama and Horii already and go for a DQ-ified Sonic RPG.

fire emblem related: omg i hate character customization parts ; I feel like I spend hours trying to customize my character...

How can he class-change to Piccolo when he's already Piccolo by default?

There should be a legitimate DBZ/Sonic crossover since Sonic's basically Goku.

I guess, but he was really just more of a standard enemy-by-misunderstanding/friendly rival until Vegeta Shadow came along to properly contextualise him as Piccolo.

A proper Dragon Ball/Sonic crossover would work without being too weird given that the series already has anthropomorphic animals.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, uh. FE: Awakening feels better than Shadow Dragon. I almost want to import a copy of 新紋章の謎 光と影の英雄 to see if it's more balanced and feels better than Shadow Dragon as a result.

Hard isn't that hard, though (but don't take that seriously as I've been constantly told on GAF that my opinion on difficulty is kind of misleading since I "play rpgs differently from other people" or something i dunno). I almost feel like I should try the game out on Lunatic mode instead. Music's pretty good; sorta wonder who composed it. In terms of gameplay bits and neat little touches, it feels good; much like how an IntSys game should feel. Pair System is something I view as a very good thing that replaces Rescue, as it involves stat ups (which vary by class), better guard support, and better synergy between the two units. Even if a unit is paired, the adjacent units to the paired units can still benefit from the support, but they don't get stat increases, which is completely fair.

I like how this is executed because it will introduce a subsystem of tactical support--for example, if a unit is about to get attacked by a ton of units, pair him/her up with a unit that will give them a defensive boost. Pairing up with units that increase speed is also very nice (because speed is always going to be the best asset in any RPG you play but I'm biased because I loooove speed classes).

I really fucking miss the sprite animations, you have no idea. They were quick, they looked good, and they looked like they really hurt. This 3D thing... mehhhhhh. Kinda like that the art execution is like Vesperia/Ni no Kuni-style. But I'm having a way better time with this than I was with Ni No Kuni.

Why is Daisuke Ono Frederick? Argh, he always voices the same kind of character... Still keeping it on JP voiceovers because Miyuki Sawashiro is voicing my MC, and Sugita doesn't make a bad Chrom. Edit: Lissa's voice destroys me yet I know the seiyuu can do subdued characters. Scratch that; I don't care for Lissa at all.

Edit: Daisuke Ono is the Japanese Silver the Hedgehog and the Japanese Snow Villiers.

Nert

While poking around and looking up various speedruns on YouTube a while ago, I came across this Dustforce speedrun compilation and I was really impressed. I don't remember if I posted it here or not, but the way this person plays makes Dustforce look like a Sonic game at times, so I figured that some people here would be interested in seeing it (particularly because large chunks of the Sonic fan base stress how they would like to see momentum become more of a factor in how Sonic controls again).

Pietepiet

While poking around and looking up various speedruns on YouTube a while ago, I came across this Dustforce speedrun compilation and I was really impressed. I don't remember if I posted it here or not, but the way this person plays makes Dustforce look like a Sonic game at times, so I figured that some people here would be interested in seeing it (particularly because large chunks of the Sonic fan base stress how they would like to see momentum become more of a factor in how Sonic controls again).

The flow in Dustforce is definitely something I'd like to see in a Sonic game. The ceiling-walking and halfpipes kind of remind me of this Sonic level concept by AndroidArts:
Sonja%20CTF%20level.jpg

This is based on a Base-Capture concept though, instead of pure platforming, but the level design is very interesting. Here's the article to go with it:
http://androidarts.com/sonja/sonja.htm

I can't watch this yet as i'm currently playing through the game but while i'm here I might as well ask what my overall goal in the game is? I mean it's pretty open ended, am I actually working towards anything in particular?

COYn5aO.jpg

Well, this is what I was talking about from the artwork or game models. It just looks odd, especially at the proportions on the the bottom pic, the blonde haired woman in the skintight supposed armor.
Y'know, at first I thought somebody had shopped that bow onto her to make it look like Shadow's spines or something. Took me a while to realize that it's not a shop to make her a Shadow cosplayer, and is in fact her actual design.

The flow in Dustforce is definitely something I'd like to see in a Sonic game. The ceiling-walking and halfpipes kind of remind me of this Sonic level concept by AndroidArts:
Sonja%20CTF%20level.jpg

This is based on a Base-Capture concept though, instead of pure platforming, but the level design is very interesting. Here's the article to go with it:
http://androidarts.com/sonja/sonja.htm

That looks like a less angular N+ level.
I was gonna say it looked like a more-freeform Super Mario World level, myself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
(?_?)

Really really enjoying Fire Emblem, you guys. Outside of some of the stuff I've seen in Japanese games and anime all the time, it's generally pretty good. It's been a while since I've played a balanced SRPG on a normal mode (lol at me buying Ragnarok Tactics at the same time) with some nice new stuff that helps the balance. Lunatic mode is pretty brutal because it's easy to get ganged up on, though, so you've gotta know what you're in store for.

I also picked up ASRT for Vita, so I might try that out... tonight, maybe. I'll see.

I tried to allude to that aspect in my write up for my GotY list. It's a very fun game to try to speedrun and try out all the different characters to see how they affect your speedruns. The momentum-based gameplay feels tighter than that of Rayman Origins', imo.

How interesting, they are both shitty characters from shitty games.

Coincidence?

Maybe.
He usually voices shitty shounen heroes / intelligent people (not often) types. He kind of falls into the latter here, but man, since he gets typecast as the dumbass/stupid shounen hero without a brain often, it tends to stick in the back of my mind when he opens in mouth.

Only played the GBA Fire Emblem but never finished it, same with Advance Wars.

(?_?)
It's been a while since I've played a balanced SRPG on a normal mode (lol at me buying Ragnarok Tactics at the same time) with some nice new stuff that helps the balance. Lunatic mode is pretty .

...balance? Never heard of it. *goes back to playing Disgaea*

qq more

lets all just move to japan and learn japanese and then STEAL ALL THEIR GAMES

like literally steal all of them off the shelf and get away with it somehow

my plan is totally possibleibleibleible

About as plausible as Auric Goldfinger going to Fort Knox and stealing all the gold.

Y'know, before the movie adaptation changed that to
nuking/irradiating all the gold so his stock would be more valuable

lets all just move to japan and learn japanese and then STEAL ALL THEIR GAMES

like literally steal all of them off the shelf and get away with it somehow

my plan is totally possibleibleibleible

Let's do it.

While we're at it let's dress in black and red and say damn all the time to hide our identities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom