• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise I am asking a biased crowd here, but which book is better? The History of Sonic or Hyrule Historia?

I've had History of Sonic for a few weeks now, i've yet to finish it though as of last night i'm on the home stretch.
I got Hyrule Historia yesterday and read the whole damn thing, Historia takes this by a landslide for me but i'm bigger on artwork, unused ideas and all that jazz while the history of Sonic is pretty much just that, it tells the story of how Sonic came to be and such.
Oh and Hyrule Historia is cheaper which is a win for penny pinchers like myself.

On a side note it's fun to see how the Sonic book on multiple occasions says how an entry was going back the the roots of Sonic to the point that i'm wondering if they even knew what the roots were, it's kind of hilarious and then sort of sad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's a reason for that. *whistles*
Because Tales never comes out here? :p

OMG Aero said:
I realise I am asking a biased crowd here, but which book is better? The History of Sonic or Hyrule Historia?
I liked how Hyrule Historia was put together and how thorough it was, but I have the Japanese version. Many of the sections have lots of drawings, there's a design doc portion of the original LoZ. I have no idea how it was localized. I liked SS, so the large SS section felt like a gift.

I'm still getting through History of Sonic so I can't come up with a good evaluation of it yet. I like how the book is formatted and organized.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder if I should go for the English version. The cover looks nice, even if it doesn't have the 25th anniversary branding (I don't think?).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did anyone else order the Japanese Zelda 25th anniversary magazine that came with the free Zelda: Skyward Sword Piano Arrange CD two years ago?

I thought it was relatively decent (the CD, I mean), despite coming with only 3 tracks (piano arrange of Skyloft, piano arrange of Fairy Fountain, piano arrange of Hymn of the Goddess (which was kind of disappointing in that it was the piano (as in quiet)/slower tempo version)). The magazine itself had a ton of pre-release information I ended up reading after I beat the game. It came with a poster, a deco seal, and the piano arrange CD.

Which ended making me think, as I finished this post: ...why the hell hasn't Sega released arrangement albums for Sonic's music?

Noi

Did anyone else order the Japanese Zelda 25th anniversary magazine that came with the free Zelda: Skyward Sword Piano Arrange CD two years ago?

I thought it was relatively decent (the CD, I mean), despite coming with only 3 tracks (piano arrange of Skyloft, piano arrange of Fairy Fountain, piano arrange of Hymn of the Goddess (which was kind of disappointing in that it was the piano (as in quiet)/slower tempo version)). The magazine itself had a ton of pre-release information I ended up reading after I beat the game. It came with a poster, a deco seal, and the piano arrange CD.

Which ended making me think, as I finished this post: ...why the hell hasn't Sega released arrangement albums for Sonic's music?

Sega doesn't do a lot of things.

Generations DLC.

Wii is 6 and a half, and that's as high as I'm gonna go. We're gonna have to agree to disagree because the Wii as a whole was completely disappointing, and I have a feeling you're a fan.
This goes beyond disagreement: you're objectively wrong. Wii came out at the same time as the others, and was sold as the competitor to the others; it's Gen 7. Its successor is Wii U, which is going to be sold as the competitor to the other next-gen consoles; it's Gen 8. Objective fact. Nothing subjective here (because Wii was disappointing in a lot of respects).

Shadow Hog, I don't even know why you're bothering.

Only three tracks for that Skyward Sword arrange album? no wonder it never popped up on my radar.
Meanwhile you can pretend that Generations soundtrack is a sort of arranged Sonic soundtrack.

Ideally they'd be more arranged albums for everything.

Shouldn't be surprised that the moron with the stupid Nocturne schtick (linking here to deny you the pleasure) is also stupid enough to engage in the stupid generation shenanigans.
Insults, now? Well you've certainly convinced me.
This goes beyond disagreement: you're objectively wrong. Wii came out at the same time as the others, and was sold as the competitor to the others; it's Gen 7. Its successor is Wii U, which is going to be sold as the competitor to the other next-gen consoles; it's Gen 8. Objective fact. Nothing subjective here (because Wii was disappointing in a lot of respects).
Nah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
See, this generation discussion garbage is tearing us all apart!

Can't we all just get along? :|

Only three tracks for that Skyward Sword arrange album? no wonder it never popped up on my radar.
Meanwhile you can pretend that Generations soundtrack is a sort of arranged Sonic soundtrack.

Ideally they'd be more arranged albums for everything.
Yeah, I think it came up once in a GAF thread, but that was about it. I ordered the magazine anyway.

But that's just one arranged soundtrack. I want some cool orchestrated, chiptune, FM synth, etc. arranged albums. ;__;

Basically, (I think) the Wii sucks and I refuse to acknowledge that it was a "next gen" console. If you don't agree, cool you don't have to. There, let's talk about something else.
Damn those posters with Nocturne related gimmicks!
Now, how do we all feel about Owl gimmicks?
It depends; are you going to trick us all into repeating what you just said?

Noi

It figures that even trying to use glitches to make Jak II less painful are as bad and awful to perform as playing the game. I don't know why I'm surprised.

Basically, (I think) the Wii sucks and I refuse to acknowledge that it was a "next gen" console. If you don't agree, cool you don't have to. There, let's talk about something else.

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.

I could disagree that Ronald Reagan was president in 1987, but I'd be wrong and would look like an idiot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit. This is why that console generation discussion stuff went on the list. Honestly, I know you guys are kind of joshing each other, but quit it with the insults, alright?

I had a Nintendo Wii and had fun with it, and I turned out alright.

CjSRJ5w.png

It figures that even trying to use glitches to make Jak II less painful are as bad and awful to perform as playing the game. I don't know why I'm surprised.
Jak II is just a poorly-constructed game regardless. You shouldn't be surprised. It's funny how glitches in good games make the game more enjoyable at times, while glitches in bad games make the game worse, isn't it?

Yeah, I think it came up once in a GAF thread, but that was about it. I ordered the magazine anyway.

But that's just one arranged soundtrack. I want some cool orchestrated, chiptune, FM synth, etc. arranged albums. ;__;
Stop making me upset for what we don't have.

It depends; are you going to trick us all into repeating what you just said?
Only if you choose to speed past my helpful advice and then act like a victim because you fall into the cycle, the only people who get stuck in the info loop are those who do not listen!

Hey here's another point in Hyrule Historia's favour, the mystery of Kaepora Gaebora revealed, that's worth the price of admission.

I remember Jak II sending me on a mission to deliver some mail and then some guy was trying to kill me for reasons that didn't make sense, and then I think I tripped a mine and died and then I quit forever.

And yet Jak II was worked on by Yasuhara.

It's kind of funny how Naka, Ohshima, Yasuhara and Iizuka all did different projects when not together, and none of them measured up to the ones they did when they were on the same team. Maybe Yasuhara's did, depending on your opinion of his Naughty Dog work.

Heropon

Jak II is just a poorly-constructed game regardless. You shouldn't be surprised. It's funny how glitches in good games make the game more enjoyable at times, while glitches in bad games make the game worse, isn't it?

Then glitches in FFIV make it even worse???

I think I wouldn't be able to complete a game I don't like... except Pokémon Ranger. Damned Manaphy!

I knew that Jak2 was a special case when even a younger me who was probably around the target demographic for the "mature" twist was offended by its change in tone, the crummy gameplay on top of that was the finishing blow.
Precursor legacy was pretty good if I recall, haven't played it in years though, every time the Jak games go on sale on EU PSN they never put the first game available separately, they'll be damned if they think i'm paying money for the garbage that is Jak 2 alongside it.

I never heard a good word about Jak II.

I mean, I saw plenty of favourable reviews, but I've never seen someone who actually recounted their experience of playing it in a positive light. It's only ever just "well I liked it", which is of course suspect amongst a cacophony of people describing the shitty mission design in excruciating detail.

Jak II Community Thread

Noi

I must link to this because I can't stop looking at it.

iBAO6kDPK1P8I.gif

I need Killzone Mercenary.

II is just a poorly-constructed game regardless. You shouldn't be surprised. It's funny how glitches in good games make the game more enjoyable at times, while glitches in bad games make the game worse, isn't it?

I wouldn't even need to do this had they not pointlessly made the precursor orbs such a pain in the ass to collect, with no indicator as to how many are left per area. Everything about the collectibles in this game is awfully done.

I remember Jak II sending me on a mission to deliver some mail and then some guy was trying to kill me for reasons that didn't make sense, and then I think I tripped a mine and died and then I quit forever.

I'm hoverboarding down a street, bump into a wall by accident, and a guard nearby sounds the alarm and starts shooting at me because I guess he took offense at me treating the wall poorly or something.

This is actually the first time I've heard of people badmouthing Jak 2..or talking about it for that matter. I thought people liked the series?

Jak and Daxter was great. Jak II has made me suffer every second I play it. People who defend it are as delusional as people who say Sly 2 and Enslaved are good games.

The first game.

At least in my case.

Jak and Daxter was great to me.

What he said.

It's kind of funny how Naka, Ohshima, Yasuhara and Iizuka all did different projects when not together, and none of them measured up to the ones they did when they were on the same team. Maybe Yasuhara's did, depending on your opinion of his Naughty Dog work.

Well, Yasuhara did some work on Uncharted, right? I'd say he's done fairly well for himself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Stop making me upset for what we don't have.
And what's the deal with the lack of Sonic Generations DLC?!

It's kind of funny how Naka, Ohshima, Yasuhara and Iizuka all did different projects when not together, and none of them measured up to the ones they did when they were on the same team.
Well, it goes back to our Ivy the Kiwi discussion a few months ago, right? Even though Naka worked on the game, it still didn't hold up to the standards of his other works. I don't think a lot of his Prope stuff has even come close mechanically (despite other members of Sonic Team being onboard) or in terms of aesthetics (speaking specifically about Ivy). Iizuka's projects, well... we all know how those turned out. Oshima seems to have done some random stuff like being the Executive Producer on Blue Dragon and doing some stuff for Mistwalker, and he seems to be doing some stuff for Nintendo (ie: a credit on Flingsmash, Wii Play, Producer on Yoshi's Island DS). Yasuhara seems to have been the most successful out of the four with Uncharted under his belt.

They seem like they'd be better-suited to working together than separately, but I'm going off on what was in the past, rather than how they must work at present.

It's similar to the reason why I would never ever accept a Chrono Trigger sequel from people who aren't original members of the Dream Team; it just won't be the same, and gaps in the team would be rather visible.

Prope, iirc, worked on Digimon Adventure Portable so if I do buy it, I'll see how it is.

Then glitches in FFIV make it even worse???

I think I wouldn't be able to complete a game I don't like... except Pokémon Ranger. Damned Manaphy!
FFIV isn't as bad as Jak II, though! Hahaha. Sometimes there are exceptions; for example, the glitches in Sonic 06 make it a better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom