• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got to factor in a few points regarding DLC here...

Other Sonic games like Unleashed had pretty weak DLC, hard mode versions of stages, stages slapped together with a few bits and pieces using already existing levels as a base.
So i'd say we don't really have a strong track record so far and I imagine the reasons for this is as follows.

Creating a good 3D Sonic stage takes a lot of time which is likely why most Sonic games don't have many stages compared to the rest of the genre (you'll notice Colours that does have the most stages tends to modify stages to create new shorter ones), to create a new stage from the ground up would be a lot of work for DLC which is probably why Schala mentioned asset reuse to aid in this.
Even so it's probably a better time and money investment to work on a whole new game rather then spend time making brand new stages for Generations.

BlackJace

You've got to factor in a few points regarding DLC here...

Other Sonic games like Unleashed had pretty weak DLC, hard mode versions of stages, stages slapped together with a few bits and pieces using already existing levels as a base.
So i'd say we don't really have a strong track record so far and I imagine the reasons for this is as follows.

Creating a good 3D Sonic stage takes a lot of time which is likely why most Sonic games don't have many stages compared to the rest of the genre (you'll notice Colours that does have the most stages tends to modify stages to create new shorter ones), to create a new stage from the ground up would be a lot of work for DLC which is probably why Schala mentioned asset reuse to aid in this.
Even so it's probably a better time and money investment to work on a whole new game rather then spend time making brand new stages for Generations.

Well of course we shouldn't expect them to shit out monthly DLC like many AAA titles nowadays do, but even a sizable update pack with a stage and maybe a playable Shadow would've been alright.

I've even thought that the Shadow rival fight would've been pretty sweet as a Versus mode.

Gattuso

there might have been another playable character if the gamesave is anything to go by but if i try to load the character up the game freezes right before the loading screen fades away.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I assume that you're on NG+, so it shouldn't be too difficult atm.

Go with Ayla (Bronze Fist, Angel's Tiara, Prism Dress, Prism Spectacles), second character/endgame spoilers
Magus (Dreamreaper, Prism Helm, Shadowplume Robe, Gold Stud (essential!))
, and Marle (Venus Bow, Regal Gown/Prism Dress, Angel's Tiara/Prism Helm/Reptite Tiara, and Gold Stud/Silver Stud/Prism Specs/Pontic Mirror).

There is a reason why Crono/Ayla/
Magus
are the most broken team in that game, and that's due to their speed stats and general power.

BlackJace

I assume that you're on NG+, so it shouldn't be too difficult atm.

Go with Ayla (Bronze Fist, Angel's Tiara, Prism Dress, Prism Spectacles), second character/endgame spoilers
Magus (Dreamreaper, Prism Helm, Shadowplume Robe, Gold Stud (essential!))
, and Marle (Venus Bow, Regal Gown/Prism Dress, Angel's Tiara/Prism Helm/Reptite Tiara, and Gold Stud/Silver Stud/Prism Specs/Pontic Mirror).

There is a reason why Crono/Ayla/
Magus
are the most broken team in that game, and that's due to their speed stats and general power.

Thank you! Lavos Core keeps getting me with Grandstone, that's my biggest problem.

Yeah, there were a ton of games from that era with optional bosses, but I don't really think the "Super Ultra Strong Final Boss that quite possibly may be stronger than the final boss" variation really caught on until the 32-Bit era.

Shinryu & Omega from FFV and Culex from Super Mario RPG are the only ones that really come to mind from the 16-Bit era.

BlackJace

I love Super/Hidden bosses. Especially ones you find encounter out of nowhere.

"Oh hey let's go back to X dungeon we went to early game and see if we missed anything"

Boom, super boss

"Hey, you kids seem stronger, as your master, let me see how strong you are"

Boom, super boss

Loved em'.

I love Super/Hidden bosses. Especially ones you find encounter out of nowhere.

"Oh hey let's go back to X dungeon we went to early game and see if we missed anything"

Boom, super boss

"Hey, you kids seem stronger, as your master, let me see how strong you are"

Boom, super boss

Loved em'.

As weird as it sounds, optional bosses are probably one of my favorite things in gaming. Especially the ones that actually test your skill.

We're talking about Lil' Miss Marshmallow, right? I had a bit of trouble with her too, and I had a decently leveled team at that point.

Everything else in Mother 3 pales in comparison to Jealous Bass, though. Talk about a difficulty curve.

Noi

I don't miss super bosses in early games that much because (usually) the bosses you fought over the course of the regular game were enough to kick your butt. Nowadays the required stuff is pathetic so I want harder optional bosses to compensate.

I got to level 99 of the Ancient Cave in Lufia GBC...then got killed a few steps from paydirt.

I haven't touched a Lufia game since that one came out!

qq more

honestly, i sort of had thoughts of doing that

i mean... i really got used to it

also it kind of helps me rage less at things. not even sonic advance 2 made me drop the f bomb but then again I was probably just getting too used to dimp's shenanigans :lol

Malajax

You guys see this? http://blogs.sega.com/2013/02/02/happy-hedgehog-day-3/

SEGA said:
On February 2nd in 1994, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was released in the US, and it was dubbed “Hedgehog Day”. For the past few years, we’ve revived this day as a holiday for all Sonic fans. We’ve got some great stuff coming up this year, but we’re not ready to talk about it just yet.

Instead, we wanted to show you one of the unique items we have in our office at SEGA of America. This is a 10th Anniversary Sonic statue signed by Tom Kalinske, Al Nilsen, Madeline Schroeder, and Shinobu Toyoda. It’s truly a one-of-a-kind piece of Sonic history, and it’s pretty amazing.

From all of us to all of you… Happy Hedgehog Day, and thanks for being true blue Sonic fans.

Happy hedgehog day?

ShadiWulf

LOL

I knew SEGA wouldn't ignore hedgehog day, I just didn't think they would be such jerks, but it's funny xD

What are they saying red herring for? Are they trying to be intentionally misleading?

Kokonoe

Banned
^ I don't quite understand what "Red Herring" means, is it a sign we're getting some Phantasy Star Online 2 info? Red Ring Rico?

@Schala Yeah, that first video I even had to stop watching after the first few 15 seconds even though I was personally checking if that was the correct video or not. He has a lot of little skits like that and they just...dreadful. When you watch his actual reviews, you have to watch him like he's a somewhat ripoff of AVGN or it gets even more annoying to watch.

ShadiWulf

^ I don't quite understand what "Red Herring" means, is it a sign we're getting some Phantasy Star Online 2 info? Red Ring Rico?

@Schala Yeah, that first video I even had to stop watching after the first few 15 seconds even though I was personally checking if that was the correct video or not. He has a lot of little skits like that and they just...dreadful. When you watch his actual reviews, you have to watch him like he's a somewhat ripoff of AVGN or it gets even more annoying to watch.

Red herring is an English-language idiom that commonly refers to a type of logical fallacy in which a clue is intentionally or unintentionally misleading or distracting from the actual issue.[1] It is also a literary device employed by writers that leads readers or characters towards a false conclusion, often used in mystery or detective fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

ShadiWulf

i left SEGA a puzzle of their own to solve

MGcrF7A.png

lol :p

GAMERG0D

I got to level 99 of the Ancient Cave in Lufia GBC...then got killed a few steps from paydirt.

I haven't touched a Lufia game since that one came out!
I haven't played a Lufia game however people have posted screenshots from Lufia 2 in threads about love in video games. I'm interested in trying them.

Damn, really sucks about the redirecting thing. It only happens to me when I browse on my phone. But hey, at least qq can easily reach his no swearing quota now!

(Okay, that was mean)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Poor qq. I think he's suffered enough, tbh. Too bad he's not here, because I wanted to lament about the lack of a Sonic announcement.

I haven't been redirected in the last two days when apparently it's been happening to a lot of people? Hrm.

Noi

So after the tragedy that was Jak II, I fully recovered my psyche by blasting through Kirby's Epic Yarn for the first time yesterday. It's not the best game, but it did wonders for healing my wounded soul.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I should just get Jak 3 over with as well. Sources say it's not as bad as II was, but I wonder if I'm prepared to jump into that hellfire again.

So after the tragedy that was Jak II, I fully recovered my psyche by blasting through Kirby's Epic Yarn for the first time yesterday. It's not the best game, but it did wonders for healing my wounded soul.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I should just get Jak 3 over with as well. Sources say it's not as bad as II was, but I wonder if I'm prepared to jump into that hellfire again.

I'll go through it alongside you if ya like! I really should be going through Sly 2 (BECAUSE WHY NOT) but it kinda sucks. I'm also getting deathly bored of Far Cry 3, I've S-ranked All-Stars Racing and XCOM/Binary Domain can wait.

The only game I actively want to play at the moment is Picross e2. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom