• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think he is making up excuses not to post because he is now literally incapable of not swearing.
Hahahaha. He's probably swearing up a storm over this.

Did he try neogaf.net?

So after the tragedy that was Jak II, I fully recovered my psyche by blasting through Kirby's Epic Yarn for the first time yesterday. It's not the best game, but it did wonders for healing my wounded soul.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I should just get Jak 3 over with as well. Sources say it's not as bad as II was, but I wonder if I'm prepared to jump into that hellfire again.
I loved coming home to Kirby's Epic Yarn in 2010 because I played it while wearing flannel jammies and a faux-wool blanket while I sipped on some goooooood hot chocolate. It was soooooo relaxing.

Some of the objectives in Jak III can be really weird and random sometimes, iirc. Sometimes things randomly go wrong and you have to do the whole thing again. Not as bad as Jak II, though.

Noi

I'll go through it alongside you if ya like! I really should be going through Sly 2 (BECAUSE WHY NOT) but it kinda sucks. I'm also getting deathly bored of Far Cry 3, I've S-ranked All-Stars Racing and XCOM/Binary Domain can wait.

Not opposed to this! Someone to rant about the game with would be swell. Hopefully we can find something enjoyable about it.

Godspeed on Sly 2 though. That game starts out alright, but then it quickly descends into mediocrity and derails itself halfway through.

I loved coming home to Kirby's Epic Yarn in 2010 because I played it while wearing flannel jammies and a faux-wool blanket while I sipped on some goooooood hot chocolate. It was soooooo relaxing.

Some of the objectives in Jak III can be really weird and random sometimes, iirc. Sometimes things randomly go wrong and you have to do the whole thing again. Not as bad as Jak II, though.

That sounds like the ideal way to play Epic Yarn. I chose to not worry about the minigames or collectibles and just mellow out with it at my leisure, which made me enjoy it that much more.

Weird and random... Yeesh, setting my expectations low already.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Augh, and he did the cmd prompt thing too, right?

I hope someone's fixing this (taking GAF down for maintenance, etc.). :/

I heard some people got to the site via Google search, and was able to log in from there.

Edit: duckroll locked the second thread from last time, but he said this:
duckroll said:
It is likely a DNS population issue related to whatever DNS server you are using. Within a day or less it should no longer be an issue for anyone. When in doubt, use Google DNS or something.

That sounds like the ideal way to play Epic Yarn. I chose to not worry about the minigames or collectibles and just mellow out with it at my leisure, which made me enjoy it that much more.

Weird and random... Yeesh, setting my expectations low already.
It's better than Jak II? I know that's not saying much.

The collectables in Epic Yarn are nice to capture (just because you sew things up or rip out the patches, etc), but yeah, just play the game at your own pace, because that's really what it's intended for.

Quackula

qqmore said:
Yep. Tried the cmd prompt thing too... even tried to reboot my computer, my browser and even my router! I even tried the DNS 8.8.8.8 thing, meanwhile that stopped the godaddy direct... it made neogaf completely blank and refresh every half second, it was crazy. Googling didn't really accomplished anything other than finding that IP url which is how I'm able to view posts here.

Man, this is so ridiculous! I'm completely unable to post despite trying every suggestion I saw! I might have to delay the no swearing challenge's final day until whenever I'm back I guess. I would be extremely frustrated but right now I'm not too mad about it because I've been occupying myself with some games (Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is great so far!)!

I'm still available in the SonicGAF IRC chat if anyone wants to talk to me though.

Also this whole situation is kind of funny, it feels like I'm banned when I'm really not. Hahaha

Hope this gets fixed soon because posting for someone else is weird.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
E-mailing support isn't probably the best idea because I don't think a lot of those mails get answered. Mods already know about this, and kind of expect it to straighten out after a day or so (ie: if it were a "i forgot my password, you guys" sort of thing, I'd PM an admin or mod for you because it does happen).

If qq can't get back sometime today, we'll delay the final day to tomorrow.

Since this was happening yesterday, it feels like a case of Groundhog Day.

Hmmm... if I got banned, I'd probably e-mail kayos90 or PM Green Scar to pass along the message as to when I'll be back.

Noi

Initial Jak 3 impressions: The controls are at least tweaked for the better. Double jumping isn't as unreliable, for one. Also, Jak's outfit is a millions times more appealing with short hair and no sleeves.

Edit: Oh sweet, I can turn Dark Jak on/off on command. I wish this had been in the last game!

Hmmm... if I got banned, I'd probably e-mail kayos90 or PM Green Scar to pass along the message as to when I'll be back.

Or you could make a twitter account and tweet at any of us.
emot-v.gif

I don't know if you have Steam but having a bunch of GAFfers as friends on there comes in hella handy when you can't access GAF. Failing that, yeah, I got your back (in that unlikely scenario).

Black Knight removes the importance of leveling up Sonic - that's the only real "improvement" over Secret Rings. Instead of being slow and crippled, Sonic starts out fairly average and I don't think leveling up really unlocks new stuff? I never really noticed a dramatic change in Sonic's abilities, anyway.

But everything else is bad.

There was this prevailing idea at Sonic Team that Sonic games needed to have "deep combat". It works like this, basically...

You have enemies with lifebars. What do lifebars mean? Lifebars mean they take multiple hits to defeat. So what is the benefit of enemies taking multiple hits to defeat? Well, you need to have some sort of combat system. Excluding the RPGs, Mario enemies don't have lifebars because all you'd be doing is bouncing on a goomba 3 or 4 times instead of once, and that would be boring and weird.

Sonic Heroes introduced lifebars to Sonic games. Because there are lifebars, Knuckles now has a punch combo you're expected to use to defeat them, in addition to the fairly robust stable of attack options covered by the speed and flight characters and your ability to switch between them at will.

The same goes for Shadow the Hedgehog. Shadow has a punch combo in that game in addition to melee weapons and guns, so all of the enemies have big lifebars that take quite a lot of sustained damage in order to kill (this is mainly because automatic weapons spew out so many bullets very rapidly).

Enemies in Sonic 06 have lifebars, too, but this is where it becomes the biggest problem: Sonic doesn't really have much of a way to deal with enemies with big lifebars outside of spamming the bounce attack, and that's not an obvious solution for most people. Shadow does, however, but his "combat system" consists of mashing the A button. Silver gets off easy: all of the projectiles he throws seem to be more or less instant kills.

Outside of Shadow the Hedgehog (where guns sort of necessitate them), these games having enemy lifebars doesn't really make sense. Combat is neither fun nor deep, it's just something there to waste your time. Instead of pushing the A button once, you push the A button 6 times. Wow, great, woo. So much fun.

Black Knight breaks this out so that instead of pressing the A button once, now you give yourself repetitive stress injury by waggling all the time. But there's still no depth, and if anything it actually hurts the flow of the game. Instead of Secret Rings, where you're constantly moving forward and it's sort of like a basic version of the racing game template modern Sonic games have become, Black Knight makes you stop every 10 feet because 3 waves of monsters sprouted up from underground. Time to waggle them away.

And the bigger, "tougher" enemies just make this even worse. Enemies with shields or the really big guys that grab you if you get in close aren't fun to fight or difficult to defeat, they just take longer. More waggles. More time wasted. No skill involved.

The case could be made that you could just jump over them, but then what are you doing? You're deliberately ignoring a core game mechanic. Like playing Halo without using any grenades, or Diablo 3 by ignoring loot and only picking up gold. You're not supposed to do that, nor is it any fun - but neither is swordfighting, so we're in a lose/lose situation, here.

What is any of it even for? Why would anybody want this?

And the story... is a bad sort of story. Sonic's kind of a jerk, but in the wrong sort of way: he gets summoned in to this storybook world and basically says "Yes, I will murder this dude for you, no questions asked." And then all he does is bitch and moan when they try and teach him how to use a sword so he can actually do the job correctly. And what about Shadow, Blaze, and Knuckles? I get that they're the knights of the round table, but why are they here? They don't have any personality, they don't contribute anything to the story, they just sort of exist so we can have an excuse to fight them, because ever since Sonic Adventure there's always gotta be rival battles, right?

Secret Rings was a breath of fresh air that tried new things and failed at a lot of them. But at least it tried!

Black Knight takes the Secret Rings formula and tries to bring in dated, rotten old Sonic tropes and "normalize" the concept. And it just highlights why those things were bad.

No thank you, sir.

Noi

I'll take misguided attempts at combat over shoehorned RPG mechanics, unplayable controls, terrible "mission" design and progress requirements (clear this level segment without getting hit, have some copy/pasted spike balls everywhere) and even worse level design.

Not that I'm saying Black Knight is good either, but Secret Rings is even worse. It coming first doesn't excuse it at all.

omg, floor 21 desert world of Super Monkey Ball

This is what Hell looks like
If this is expert stage 21 (which I think was the first desert stage) I never got past it, my SMB adventures ended right then and there, the slanting walls of doom broke me.

Pfft, you guys willingly going on to play Jak 3, i've borrowed the DMC HD collection off a friend to play a 3rd entry that supposedly doesn't suck, so far so good.

Transformed shits all over every Mario Kart game, including the ones I genuinely like but there could be a bit more polish when it comes to character presentation. Sonic and Amy looks really 'off' at times (namely how their eye brow thing keeps randomly growing/shrinking and having the middle mouths Unleashed got rid of), the non-TF2 human characters always look like they have something stuffed in their mouths and the VA-work is all over the place.

Weird that Shadow and more obscure characters like Vyce got new voice work done while the rest of the Sonic cast's is just spliced lines from different games ("YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER makes no sense in the context it's said in). That's not even getting onto how tragic not having John C. Riley or the original TF2 VA's is; you can really tell it's just some British guy desperately trying to do an impression.

Still, beyond that and all the cut characters from the first game it's great so far. In a way it feels like an HD Diddy Kong's Racing, especially that lava cavern bit of Adder's Lair.

I... Honestly never got the love for MKDS. It's like people were so jaded after DD!! that anything remotely decent was going to be heralded as the king of racers.

Know a lot of people hold it as their personal favorites, but for me it's not even one of the good MK games. Mostly bland courses besides a couple standouts like Waluigi Pinball and still features a wildly unbalanced item system.

I like the MKDS tracks! Waluigi Pinball is great, yeah, but there's Airship Fortress, the awesome Bowser's Castle, Tick-Tock Clock, Peach Gardens, DK Pass... it was the first game that really seemed to rip the tracks straight out of the games, rather than just being generic "Mario-ish" courses.

Plus Wii left a bad taste in my mouth. Fuck, I loved Double Dash. 64 is crap, too, it's insane anyone ever liked that, such a downgrade from SMK. I mean it's worse than Super Circuit a game that came out 3 years later or something hurrrrrr

Noi

Jak 3, I get the idea behind wanting to make the desert feel dangerous and oppresive, but endlessly respawning enemies that zero in on you was not the way to go here.

I never though I'd prefer Borderland's implementation of anything, but there you go. Oh well, at least the vehicles in this one don't control like utter crap.

Team Mario Kart DS is the winning team, when you've played eight player local multiplayer you know you've reached a promised land that few mp games can ever reach.

Team Mario Kart DS is the winning team, when you've played eight player local multiplayer you know you've reached a promised land that few mp games can ever reach.

This is also a major factor. Mario Kart DS multiplayer- online and off, usually off- was just the amazing phenomena that felt so fucking right, and hooked so many people. Many a school lunch time was spent playing that shit, even years after the game had been out.

CTR, MKDS and S&ASRT are the holy trinity of kart racers. Nice to be able to make it a trinity, I figure those first two would be forever untouched.

No regrets. It controlled like garbage, looks ugly as fuck, the courses aren't fun (Toad's Turnpike is the worst MK track ever) and I never got to enjoy the battle mode so that's lost on me too.

kokonoe what the fuck did you do to Hyrule Temple

This is also a major factor. Mario Kart DS multiplayer- online and off, usually off- was just the amazing phenomena that felt so fucking right, and hooked so many people. Many a school lunch time was spent playing that shit, even years after the game had been out.

Every morning back in my sixth form days, freaking MKDS!
It was the stuff of legends, tracks like Delfino Plaza, Tick Tock Clock, Bowser's Castle, Airship Fortress and so much more, it's one of those titles that will be nigh on impossible to top for me because the memories associated with it are too strong.
Though it helps that the game controls fantastically and has plenty of content.

Unfortunately Transformed MP with some of my old MK rivals is just me thrashing them all, sometimes I really appreciate the chaos of Mario Kart's weapons.

MK64 is pretty weak these days for many reasons I can't be arsed to go into right now but battle mode was the tits, Block Fort is a rite of passage.

Fuck this noise let's do power ratings GO:

MK7>MK64>MKSS>SMK>>>MKWii=MKDS>>>>>>>>>>>>>DD!!>that arcade one nobody played but everybody inexplicably wants a console port of

The SEGA racing games, Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing
maybe tag-team racing as well
are naturally better than all of them.

MKDS
MK7
MKWii
MKDD
MKSC
MK64

Never played the original. There's a big gap between MK7 and MKWii, because MK7 would definitely be my favourite without the lack of content. Seriously, I want Mission Mode and a proper fucking Vs. option.

I don't like Mario Kart.

Do you like anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom