• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found MKDS's mission mode alternating between boring and just being kinda meh rip-offs of DKR's bosses from nearly a decade earlier. MK7 manages to work in the strengths of nearly every previous game before it (more unbalanced items are gone, blue shell only goes into winged mode at the last minute, hopping has more of a purpose since it's how you pull off MKWii-style tricks now), has MK64's great jazz-styled music and while maybe kind of gimmicky the glide/water/land mechanic gave tracks some variety.

The roster's shite, yeah, but so was MKDS's. MKWii gave us FUNKY KONG whereas MK7 gives us the fucking bee from Galaxy and DS ROB.

No clue why Super Circuit gets such a bad rep; it's a natural progression of what SMK was, along with including every single track from the original game.
Also how can MK64 feel like a downgrade from a game you never played

Mario Kart 64>Mario Kart 7>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Double Dash

I still have a few more to play I realize...I want to try the DS and the Wii ones next! I just appreciate the variety of levels in 64 and the music as well. It's kinda an easy game to get used to but it's still a lot of fun. Sometimes it even provides the right deal of challenge like in Mirror Mode...Toad's Turnpike is literally hell on that mode. Mario Kart 7 does have my favorite course in Music Park but 64 has the more fair Blue Shell.

POWER RATINGS?! HUUURRRRGH LEEEETS GOOOOO!

MK DS: I've said my piece on this, it was downright mythical multiplayer, it's a complete package, it has a Kart with Rambi's noggin on the front!

MK7: Basically MKDS2, if I had the same opportunity for MP now as I did back in the DS days then it could have usurped the crown, then again it has no missions or versus mode for some stupid reason, but it does finally have Shyguy.

MKWii: SWERVE, the often hated entry for its focus on pure unparalleled chaos, every race is a damn warzone, I relish this aspect and it had some pretty spiffy online. Great tracks as well, Maple Treeway is God Tier, GOD TIER!

MK DD: Co-op is a fun mechanic, all cup tour was the ultimate multiplayer endurance run, karts control a bit off though, track design is okay but could be stronger.

MK64: Amazing battle mode, great music, my first N64 game but time has punched this game hard in the balls, it controls horribly, red shells are so unreliable you can hit yourself with them, CPU rubberbanding is hilarious in how obvious it is compared to any other racing game i've played, Toad was broken.

MK SC: Well the music was okay, Sunset Wilds is a cool track....man screw this game.

Unranked SMK since i've played it like once.

maybe tag-team racing as well
are naturally better than all of them.
You mean the game where you can join onto the guy in first, chill with him all race then jump off at the end and win?

CTR and Double Dash are the best kart racers after Racing Transformed. None of the other Mario Kart games are any good...except maybe DS. I never got to play it during its heyday.

Anth0ny

WNYcTR1.jpg

did someone mention best kart racer?

While you have Spiralmouth stuff like this in your game, trivial things such as 'game balance' no longer matter.
So basically it was a legit tactic, amazing!
That music is kind of terrifying, I mean i've played Rayman Origins and even it wasn't nearly as mad.

Double Dash wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the absolutely overpowered weapons.

But that was like the best part, giant shells and chain chomps roaming Baby Park is where it's at.

DK and Petey Piranha were my boys, even if that bulbous plant head made things harder to see.

Diddy Kong Racing is an odd one, it's got pretty good tracks, solid single player, planes, hovercrafts, Dave Wise and more but the CPU are so easy that the single player can only get tricky when you're constantly off roading for silver coins.
Then Multiplayer felt hindered by how the item system was set up, the guy in first can just keep grabbing boosts or shields if needed while everyone else murders each other.
I think I played more of the Icicle Mountain and lagoon battle stages than races for multiplayer.

Ok boy, a bunch of kart racers still inferior to Crash Team Racing. Didn't we do this discussion already?

CTR: Best cart racer
F-Zero GX: Best racer, period
Outrun 2: Best driving game

We've done every discussion already, hey guys lets talk about Sonic Drift...you know that's a bad idea, how about we fall back to JC's F-Zero GX point and talk about that.

WNYcTR1.jpg

did someone mention best kart racer?
Several times already. Really hope that Monster Games rumor turns out true, even if I can't really think what you could even do for a Diddy Kong Racing sequel, let alone one without access to Banjo and a hung-over Conker.

Also while Falcon would've been more marketable, I would've liked Diddy being a Nintendo exclusive in Racing Transformed. It practically writes itself!

or alternatively friends who don't go into panic attacks at the sight of a kart racer without stereotypical Italians and obnoxious 'everybody wins' mechanics

FUCK MARIO'S COMMUNIST AGENDA

TheOGB

Banned
Ok boy, a bunch of kart racers still inferior to Crash Team Racing. Didn't we do this discussion already?

CTR: Best cart racer
F-Zero GX: Best racer, period
Outrun 2: Best driving game
My nigga. ASRT is right up there next to em.

The SEGA racing games, Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing
maybe tag-team racing as well
are naturally better than all of them.
While you have Spiralmouth stuff like this in your game, trivial things such as 'game balance' no longer matter.
Real talk, Tag Team Racing was off the fucking wall. So much fun.

Dat N. Gin/Crunch mass murder machine

Holy shit, I thought I was the only person on the face of the earth that liked this game.

Didn't know there was a PS1 version, though. I had it for Dreamcast.

It looks a lot better. The DC version, I mean. The game itself seems otherwise identical though. I don't remember if it was actually good, but I liked it at the time when I'd beaten Nitros Oxide on CTR and wanted something else to play.

I also had the PS1 version of that DisneyWorld game. It was okay I guess. Never really got invested in it.

Also Smurf Racer, which... um. Wasn't bad I guess? Didn't really bother with it, because the concept itself wasn't especially appealing.

And then there was LEGO Racer, which was so awful. So awful. I mean, I knew the moment that
Nah, I'm lying; this game was kickass
that it was beyond help.

LEGO RACER WAS THE SHIT. You actually built your car, that was all I needed, but then it was a good game as well. Stacking power-ups is a gimmick some other game needs to steal.

It looks a lot better. The DC version, I mean. The game itself seems otherwise identical though. I don't remember if it was actually good, but I liked it at the time when I'd beaten Nitros Oxide on CTR and wanted something else to play.

I remember it being solid, at the very least. It was a pretty obvious cash in on the kart racing craze, but solid nonetheless.

Looney Tunes Space Race was another half decent one, though admittedly the only reason I remember that game is because of how good looking it was at the time. (I think it was one of the first notable games after Fear Effect and JSR to use cel shading.)

Edit: Holy fuck, Lego Racer. Talk about nostalgia.

LEGO RACER WAS THE SHIT. You actually built your car, that was all I needed, but then it was a good game as well. Stacking power-ups is a gimmick some other game needs to steal.

I remember enjoying the shit out of this when I borrowed it off someone, not sure if it was actually any good or if it was just the euphoria of driving MY OWN LEGO CAR!

OMG Aero

Team Mario Kart DS is the winning team, when you've played eight player local multiplayer you know you've reached a promised land that few mp games can ever reach.
Some of my fondest memories of college are when me and my friends would get together at lunch time and play Mario Kart DS with the max number of players.
I don't think that's anything to do with Mario Kart DS specifically though and it's more of a perfect storm of it being the first time we would get together on a regular basis and have free reign to bring handhelds with us unlike at school and also because literally everyone had a DS.
Stacking boosts was the best because the maxed out boost power up opened up a fucking wormhole and warped you ahead.

Stacking boosts was the best because the maxed out boost power up opened up a fucking wormhole and warped you ahead.
This was all I ever did. Sure, there were also red, yellow and green power-ups, but SCREW THAT MAX THE GREEN FOR WARP FACTOR 9 ENSIGN CRUSHER ENGAGE

Plus I'm pretty sure Rocket Racer or whatever his name is did the same thing, so you pretty much had to abuse this to have any chance of beating him.

Never did play LEGO Racers 2, though. :(

Kokonoe

Banned
Mario Kart DS also had that team mode(red vs blue) which was so darn fun. I hope they bring that back in the next Mario Kart because just going online with a few of your friends in a team would be mondo tubular.

BlackJace

Holy shit, just watched some videos of GX. It's like a million times faster than any kart racer.

(Yes, yes I know, I've never seen nor played any F Zero game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom