• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

Wrapping up Day 1 of Jak 3. While still incredibly average, this is the game Jak II should have been had they chosen to go with the shootbang direction.

Green Scar, I may have blasted through the game before I gave you a chance to start. :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't for the life of me remember. Also hey, you started it! Did you do what I said and roll Recruit on your first playthrough?
Yup. I'm not sure why, but I'll do it. So... I'm guessing that the additional conversation options are for me to romance people with.

It has an inverted y-axis option but no x-axis option. I'll be stuck with a weird config forever that I'll probably get used to as the game goes on and then it'll feel weird when I go back to other games.

Edit: I completely blame FF12 for doing this to me. Also my left-handedness.

Noi

Yup. I'm not sure why, but I'll do it. So... I'm guessing that the additional conversation options are for me to romance people with.

It has an inverted y-axis option but no x-axis option. I'll be stuck with a weird config forever that I'll probably get used to as the game goes on and then it'll feel weird when I go back to other games.

Edit: I completely blame FF12 for doing this to me. Also my left-handedness.

Nah, this ain't a bioware game foo'. You want everyone to like (or dislike you, your call) for reasons that can actually change how events play out in the game. Your choices have consequences, meaningful ones!

73% of Jak 3 in a day. I'll likely finish this tomorrow, good riddance!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, this ain't a bioware game foo'. You want everyone to like (or dislike you, your call) for reasons that can actually change how events play out in the game. Your choices have consequences, meaningful ones!

73% of Jak 3 in a day. I'll likely finish this tomorrow, good riddance!
Ahhhh, well, I've been trying to be nice to everyone, if that's meaningful!

Kinda want to take a break since the non-inverted camera started weirding my brain out. But I like it so far. Mike Thornton makes for a good avatar character just because he has some personality to him. Stuff that he brings up if you select it will come up later, and you need to be quick with what you say next in dialogue rather than letting the menu sit there and thinking it over, creating a break in tension and a jarring disconnect between the player and fluid conversation.

I also like the PDA menu. It's cute.

If I finish this off before Feb 16th, I'll likely go for ME1 next.

Kokonoe

Banned
Think I'll play Seasons next, then after that (or simultaneously) play FFIV finally.

On another note, I found out just now that they ported Sonic Advance to Android in 2011 in Japan, I really want to get this now.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Advance_(Android)

The Sonic 1 and 2 throwback bosses, featured in the X-Zone stage, no longer use the remixes of their original themes. Instead, the two feature the final boss themes from Sonic 4.

Hah hah.

tumblr_mhiqo5oJ6r1r7rhzfo1_1280.jpg

200sjygkputl.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nayuta no Kiseki does some cute stuff with its Oracle of Seasons-esque sort of gameplay. I adored it partially because of how it reminded me of OoS.

The Sonic 1 and 2 throwback bosses, featured in the X-Zone stage, no longer use the remixes of their original themes. Instead, the two feature the final boss themes from Sonic 4.
worst port confirmed

why would you do that

why

That has a huge narrative spoiler in it. :O
Good thing I was never gonna play it in the first place!

If they did that, they would've used the Game Gear/Master System versions of the boss themes instead. :(

Instead, they think Sonic 4's meow mix is something to celebrate.
Same thing they did with Heroes shortly after it came out. "Hey, guys, y'know our most-recently-released Sonic game that's got all the negative rap in the fanbase? Clearly this means you love it so here's a shitload more of it to remind you just how much you negatively love it!"

If they did that, they would've used the Game Gear/Master System versions of the boss themes instead. :(

Instead, they think Sonic 4's meow mix is something to celebrate.

B7Lvvl6.jpg

Game... Gear? Oh, you mean Mad Gear Zone! (laughs) That will be represented in the upcoming Android port of Sonic Advance 2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good thing I was never gonna play it in the first place!
Noi probably would if it were ever localized here. I'm surprised they put a spoiler at the beginning of the third section.

Wait, what am I saying? XSEED don't care! If they had the intent on localizing the Kiseki games they should at least do FC and SC. Doing FC only is not going to do them any favours with their fanbase. While Nayuta might be a safe Kiseki game because it stands on its own and links very well with Ys and Kiseki in terms of its music, combat, and the text/quest elements, it's a rather verbose game for them to go with. I'd rather them finish up with SC instead. I love 3rd the most out of the three mainline ones I've played so far, and I'm a bit biased towards it, but it serves to act as a bridge to, and set up, Zero, not complete the first trilogy.

I'm just a frustrated at the situation like the rest of the people who are waiting for a localization, because SC really does wrap the story for a few characters up nicely. They're certainly not my favourites in the Kiseki games after having played 3rd, but it's a nice wrap-up. If they localize the PS3 version (ie: if they find it financially viable since apparently FC didn't do well for them and SC has a larger script) it won't be all that bad since the PSP save data is transferable. I didn't have that luxury because I went straight from English FC to Japanese SC. :V

Well, at least they're localizing Celceta. Celceta didn't make my GotY list because a: I hadn't finished it, b: I got disinterested in it, c: I was ultimately disappointed with it, but d: it's a decent game regardless from whatever I played.

Same thing they did with Heroes shortly after it came out. "Hey, guys, y'know our most-recently-released Sonic game that's got all the negative rap in the fanbase? Clearly this means you love it so here's a shitload more of it to remind you just how much you negatively love it!"
Ahahaha.

I wish this weren't par for the course.

But sometimes SEGA does this thing where they go one step forwards and a few steps back.

B7Lvvl6.jpg

Game... Gear? Oh, you mean Mad Gear Zone! (laughs) That will be represented in the upcoming Android port of Sonic Advance 2.
He would say that. :(

I heard he roared with laughter upon hearing RobbieNick mention the Game Gear!

ShadiWulf

He would say that. :(

I heard he roared with laughter upon hearing RobbieNick mention the Game Gear!

Yeah, it's too bad i don't have the log saved, I should of saved it! I reinstalled windows a many times after that though, so it's long gone.

He told me if it wasn't Iizuka who was laughing at him that he would of punched him in the face xD that's how rude Iizuka-san was apparently xD

Gamegear? hahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. No.

For homebrew? GAF is actually the original home of one of the best guides to homebrew modding your Wii.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

This is what I ended up using. Currently installing my library as we speak, haha.

edit: thought I don't think this mentions how to get the icons for homebrew apps onto the Wii Menu like you have. Not that I need to do that, but it looks cool, and saves the effort of going HBC > USBLoader > game.

edit2: spoke too soon, found the page for that too

This is what I ended up using. Currently installing my library as we speak, haha.

edit: thought I don't think this mentions how to get the icons for homebrew apps onto the Wii Menu like you have. Not that I need to do that, but it looks cool, and saves the effort of going HBC > USBLoader > game.

edit2: spoke too soon, found the page for that too

You can even set it up so that games in your library appear like disc channels, but I've never bothered with that.

Welcome back qq!

You can even set it up so that games in your library appear like disc channels, but I've never bothered with that.

I'm guessing that involves tinkering with the Forwarder stuff? I'm guessing it's a bit more involved for things that aren't straight-up homebrew apps.

I'm guessing that involves tinkering with the Forwarder stuff? I'm guessing it's a bit more involved for things that aren't straight-up homebrew apps.

Yeah. I steer clear of most forwarding apps unless they are verified "safe", like the ones you can get on the Homebrew Browser.

Installing a channel the wrong way can permanently brick your Wii if you don't have BootMii available to fix it. And since I actually had somebody else setup most of the homebrew stuff on my Wii, I'm not sure if BootMii is installed and I try not to mess with those kinds of deep settings.

Setting up channels to point to your library involved some kind of desktop PC app or something, I forget. Probably safe, but I'm paranoid.

I'm doing nothing unless the GAF guide says it's safe to do! Seems like an easy way to not brick my Wii. I do have BootMii installed, at least, so I've a safety net there. Having no way to currently get my Wii online helps as well, although it does make the USBLoader menu pretty fucking ugly what with the lack of covers and what not.

oh shit load times are fucking gone, this is amazing

I'm doing nothing unless the GAF guide says it's safe to do! Seems like an easy way to not brick my Wii. I do have BootMii installed, at least, so I've a safety net there. Having no way to currently get my Wii online helps as well, although it does make the USBLoader menu pretty fucking ugly what with the lack of covers and what not.

oh shit load times are fucking gone, this is amazing

There should be a way to get the cover art on to your SD card from your PC, I just don't know the folder structure or where/how to do it like that. They're literally just PNGs.

Noi

Alright, so Jak 3 did a lot to remove the awful after-taste Jak II left in the series. I still wish they hadn't taken the grimdark edgy shootbang route to begin with, but it's a much better game. Really appreciated that they toned down how much of an asshole they made Jak in II.

I wish the animators at Insomniac were as good as Naughty Dog's, pretty much the only constant thing in the series was that the animations during cutscenes and the like are godlike. Ratchet's, even during the third game, tend to be a little like SA1.

A little late, but.

Weird that Shadow and more obscure characters like Vyce got new voice work done while the rest of the Sonic cast's is just spliced lines from different games ("YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER makes no sense in the context it's said in). That's not even getting onto how tragic not having John C. Riley or the original TF2 VA's is; you can really tell it's just some British guy desperately trying to do an impression.
From what I can gather, Reddit and IMDb pored over the credits and found Gary Schwartz (Heavy) and Dennis Bateman (Pyro/Spy) listed. So... they did get the original TF2 VAs.

Y'know, unless you've seen the credits and can confirm they're not listed. Sonic Retro doesn't have a credit listing, curiously, and I don't think I can check, since I have the Wii U version and there'd be no reason to list PC-exclusive characters there.

Ralph definitely sounds off, though. Like, way off. Disappointing that they couldn't get a better soundalike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom