• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocket Knight? Dead but then revived only to be beaten with a spike hammer.

It kinda pisses me off that Gradius and Contra had pretty great 2D revivals done by M2, and then instead of Konami giving Rocket Knight to them, they give it to the Silent Hill: Shattered Memories guys instead.

Man, what the fuck is wrong with Konami.

Noi

Bah, it took me a bit to realize you were talking about Musashiden. It goes to show that almost everything I loved in the past is dead or on life support. Shadow Hearts, Breath of Fire, Valkyrie Profile, Arc the Lad, Suikoden, Quintet games (EVERY Quintet game), Ganbare Goemon... :|

My biggest wish for a sequel (that wasn't a proper Musashiden sequel) died when Irem kicked the bucket.

1435433991_6a19d26809.jpg

Bumpy Trot was such a good game... :(

Mega Man's just about the only other IP from my youth that's been killed off. Oh, and the shambling corpse that is Final Fantasy anyway.

Microsoft what the hell are you doing
I, like Schala, have no idea what you're talking about, specifically. Is this that Kotaku article? Because I trust the guy about as much as I trust somebody who says he got insider scoop because his father's nephew's aunt's gynecologist's son works at Microsoft.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wonder if I should post these Pokecapn videos for ASRT in the Pokecapn thread even though they don't have a voiceover:

http://www.twitch.tv/pokecapn/b/363497027
http://www.twitch.tv/pokecapn/b/363472851

Might as well post these in here too since I guess people'll be interested.

Kaz and Medibot playing Magic the Gathering: http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma/b/363431419

Kaz playing Super Custody Battle (Super Metroid):
http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma/b/366196589
http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma/b/366227788

KFJ's got some Studio Anime for people to watch too.
Ni no Kuni:
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/359695367
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/360051532
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/360723070
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/361004373
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/361345450
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/362429623
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/363309585

VIDCONS (MMX Collection & some Tales of Games stuff):
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/363794523
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/363801664
http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/363825098

Stupid Music Videos/StepMania: http://www.twitch.tv/spacekop/b/364454945

My biggest wish for a sequel (that wasn't a proper Musashiden sequel) died when Irem kicked the bucket.

Bumpy Trot was such a good game... :(
Oh, man, I forgot that was in the making before they packed up.

Man, what the fuck is wrong with Konami.
Metal Gear is their cash cow now that they've forgotten how to develop games now.

Hell, they had to get Platinum Games to make the Metal Gear for them. They developed Rising for two fuckin' years and realized, "Hey wait a minute...WE DON'T HAVE A GAME!"

Hope Lords of Shadow 2 is good

Hell, they had to get Platinum Games to make the Metal Gear for them. They developed Rising for two fuckin' years and realized, "Hey wait a minute...WE DON'T HAVE A GAME!"
I loved how people were poopoo-ing the Rising reveal trailer and were wondering where the Watermelon Cutting Simulator was. Next week cannot come soon enough!

Wonder if I should post these Pokecapn videos for ASRT in the Pokecapn thread even though they don't have a voiceover:

[vids]

Might as well post these in here too since I guess people'll be interested.

[more vids]
And as long as we're at it, Slowbeef's gone mad with power and posted like a bajillion Retsupurae videos. Including ones where he basically does an RP with whoever. The first of which, funnily enough, was done with a guy I tangentially know from TVTropes's Retsupurae forum topic. Small world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And as long as we're at it, Slowbeef's gone mad with power and posted like a bajillion Retsupurae videos. Including ones where he basically does an RP with whoever. The first of which, funnily enough, was done with a guy I tangentially know from TVTropes's Retsupurae forum topic. Small world.
Oh my goodness, I just checked and there are soooo manyyyyyy. I'd love to post them in the Pokecapn thread, but I'm busy double-posting and updating the thread with these vids, lol. You're totally free to post some of the Retsupurae stuff there... even though most of us talk about it in here anyway.

I somewhat feel as though the thread title should be changed, even though its primary intent was to shed light on those particular LPers.

Oh my goodness, I just checked and there are soooo manyyyyyy. I'd love to post them in the Pokecapn thread, but I'm busy double-posting and updating the thread with these vids, lol. You're totally free to post some of the Retsupurae stuff there... even though most of us talk about it in here anyway.

I somewhat feel as though the thread title should be changed, even though its primary intent was to shed light on those particular LPers.
Sure, I can probably do that.

Also, if you want the topic changed, since AFAIK you're the OP, you can just PM a mod, they'll probably oblige. (Or tell you to make a new thread, I dunno.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks.

Well, I'm a little stubborn and I don't want the thread title to be changed yet.
KuGsj.gif
I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same way considering the thread's current focus on various video LPs from SA / Retsupurae.

Wouldn't be the thread's first change of focus anyway!

hurr hurr focus like in FFXIII get it
So you're saying that we're going to "change our Focus" but we're going to go right back to doing what we were supposed to do anyway?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So that's done.

Christ, that was a lot of copying and pasting.
I'm so sorry. I didn't expect you to go into such detail!

I know that feel. When I redo the OP every few weeks, it certainly does take a chunk of time to check to see if there are YT links for the Twitch stuff or something like that. And then half the time, I try to see if a new format for the OP would work or not, so I try to do the code for it and end up scrapping it for simplicity's sake.

Man, I didn't expect him to post so many Retsupurae videos in the past few days. Sheesh!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1980s/1990s Yuzo Koshiro can do no wrong, man.

I was listening to Falcom Boss Zanmai and Persona 4 Reincarnation.
Sorcerian - Evil Shaman
P4 Reincarnation - I'll Face Myself (Battle)

Come to think of it, I've been meaning to make a new mix CD for my car ride to school with some game music on it. I figured I'd need a change of pace. I was planning on putting some Sonic music on there anyway, now that I have the Generations OST, History of Sonic, Sonic CD, etc. soundtracks.

I just keep drawing a blank as to what to put on there.

Quackula

1980s/1990s Yuzo Koshiro can do no wrong, man.

I was listening to Falcom Boss Zanmai and Persona 4 Reincarnation.
Sorcerian - Evil Shaman
P4 Reincarnation - I'll Face Myself (Battle)

Come to think of it, I've been meaning to make a new mix CD for my car ride to school with some game music on it. I figured I'd need a change of pace. I was planning on putting some Sonic music on there anyway, now that I have the Generations OST, History of Sonic, Sonic CD, etc. soundtracks.

I just keep drawing a blank as to what to put on there.

A CD composed entirely of Sunsoft NES music.

Freedom Planet Kickstarter only has 65 hours to go!

Pledged $50 for alpha access, and I gotta say, I really like the look of this game. Shame alpha access comes with a nondisclosure agreement, so I probably won't be able to talk much about it with you guys until that expires.

People shit on SoR3 and rightfully so, but it had my favorite track in the series
You have great taste. I'm not sure I'd say it's the best track in the series, but good Lord almighty is it up there. Hard to believe it's in the same game as random-sounding crap like this.

I find it kind of amusing how most of the at least kinda good SoR3 tracks are actually by Motohiro Kawashima instead of Yuzo Koshiro. "Fuze", "Boss"/"Mona and Lisa", "Bulldozer", "Dub Slash", "Moon", "The Poets I", "The Poets II", "Percussion"... all Kawashima. Most of Koshiro's contributions were just random notes with almost no discernible melody... although he did supply "Dance Club", so it's not like it's all bad.

Kinda weird how "Percussion" sounds kinda like the Peter Gunn theme, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*puts in the same songs as the last one but with one new track*
This is me. Just now, I was like, "Well, I'll put Door into Summer, Knight of the Wind, Inevitable Struggle, Chrono Cross, The Tragic Prince, Go Straight, Pressing Pursuit~Cornered" and a buncha other stuff on there.

Well, derp, I put those on the four CDs I made last time.

A CD composed entirely of Sunsoft NES music.
Damn, now I'm listening to Journey of Silius. The best.

Shit, just listen to how good that stuff is.

You mean the entire NES Batman soundtrack?
All hail one of the kings of NES soundtracks.

Pledged $50 for alpha access, and I gotta say, I really like the look of this game. Shame alpha access comes with a nondisclosure agreement, so I probably won't be able to talk much about it with you guys until that expires.
Shucks. I kinda wish I went that much now. Oh well. I hope it works out for them in the end, because what I played of it before was quite impressive.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can we talk about how awesome the Follin Brothers were?

Silver Surfer -- Saving a bad game with a good and catchy as hell soundtrack. Everyone usually posts the first stage music as an example, but I think the entire soundtrack is a wonderful package overall. Lots of wonderful flourishes and channel manipulation while creating some decent loops.

Solstice had a ton of atmospheric content by contrast, but it still managed to be extremely catchy. Kinda interesting that Tim Follin decided to just compose with the computer as opposed to an actual instrument, but it worked.

See? I have great ideas sometimes.
I'll blast it in the car like everything else.

Solstice had a ton of atmospheric content by contrast, but it still managed to be extremely catchy. Kinda interesting that Tim Follin decided to just compose with the computer as opposed to an actual instrument, but it worked.

Solstice's opening theme is amazing. Not huge on the game itself but I used to fire it up just to listen to that

I found the original links when they were posted in the thread, but the person who supplied them took them straight from TV Tropes so they don't work anymore.

Noi

Almost 3AM. Need to have an oral presentation done by 11:30 today, which I had to start from scratch cause the info my group partner gave me was junk.

This is my jam.

I need to pick better group members.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ended up having to screencap them because TV tropes really is down. Quick and dirty solution (because these ain't clean images at all), but that's all I could get.

whybeefwhyxmufe.png
crychao3euu8.png

I forgot how good the Bionic Commando soundtrack was. But back then, Capcom had all the good jams.

The Sweet Home OST, for instance, struck the right chord between creepiness and catchiness while delivering some sense of dread. And everyone knows about the Disney game soundtracks, so I don't have to elaborate on those anyway.

Almost 3AM. Need to have an oral presentation done by 11:30 today, which I had to start from scratch cause the info my group partner gave me was junk.

This is my jam.

I need to pick better group members.
Your music selection just tells me that you're frustrated (just the tone).

(I like some group projects, but not the ones where I get stuck with all the work.)

Noi

Sciz

Sonic #245:

-At this point there's been enough lead time for the "put the echidnas on a bus" disaster to be smoothed over properly without the cracks showing, so that's nice. No bizarre dialogue replacements, no disjointed flashbacks.

-Still not a whole lot that really happens, though. A good half the issue boils down to Knuckles and Thrash punching each other while slowly spouting exposition, and in the end they both vanish through the warp ring. The next issue is advertised as being a battle between the two of them, but I only see that leading to more punching and no satisfying conclusions because lawyers.

-There's one little moment where Sonic and Amy have an honest-to-god character interaction together, instead of just existing in the same general vicinity and exhibiting a degree of casual familiarity that was never developed organically or expounded upon in the slightest. It'd be nice if this became a trend, if they're going to keep considering her a major character.
--Butler's art kills the atmosphere, though.

-The most interesting stuff here (and that's only faint praise) ends up being the bits that got dragged in after the rest of the arc was already ruined. The Krudzu dragged itself onshore via a Crabmeat, which I was pleasantly surprised to see. Unfortunately it's still the Krudzu, which means it also drags down the cool factor of Metal Knuckles by a full order of magnitude (Sonic: "You're literally made of fail."), and so despite morphing into yet another monstrosity, it promptly gets curbstomped (until next issue, in all likelihood)...

-...by Shard, who's here to singlehandedly save the arc from complete disaster! Yeah, didn't see that coming. He's still got such a distinct tone of voice that he's identifiable by his text boxes well before he actually appears on panel. And I don't think Sonic and co. are aware that they're on the same side, so the parts of 246 that aren't Knuckles and Thrash punching each other should be great, especially if Ian starts dredging up their past meetings. Probably ties into Universe #50 somehow, which also explains why that Underground conclusion was abruptly bumped back.

-So the silver lining to this whole mess is more Shard on an accelerated schedule to kill time, which is an outcome I can't stay unhappy about.

tl;dr: Turning out to be more interesting this way than four issues of banging on about the echidna factions would've been.

Also, they forgot the update the Worlds Collide counter. Whoops.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
MTPmoranguides suspended?

He'll be back.

Megaman II is the undisputed best NES soundtrack.

Go ahead, listen to the entire thing. Every song is a fucking masterpiece!
Gosh, I dunno. I love Mega Man II's soundtrack a ton, but Journey to Silius (the soundtrack I linked above) has it beat all over.

Actually, Madara's soundtrack is pretty good, now that I recall it. It used the VRC6.

This is the feeling when I'm up late night working on a presentation, yes.

Screw it, I have 3 hours between classes to get this done, I need to get SOME sleep before the sun rises.

(This is the second group work this month where I've had to do this crap, it's getting old.)
You could be like me and barely get any sleep instead. It's fun.

(I lied; it's not fun. Actually, if I go to bed now, it'll be considered as going to bed early for me given my recent sleep schedule. But I wanna study instead.)

What the hell? Why haven't I preordered this before, or even gave any inclination to try the demos out or look at footage? The soundtrack sounds interesting.

Hearing them talk about the CD sequel stuff made me think: Maybe Sonic 4 is not as good of a game because it's a sequel to an already mediocre Sonic game?

:p
Wait. Episode 1 was a sequel to Sonic 3&K. Episode 2 was a sequel to Sonic CD. I'm confused. I can't believe I'm even talking about timeline discussion here, but:
Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3 -> Sonic & Knuckles -> Sonic 4: Ep 1 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 4: Ep 2

^That's the official Sega timeline.

Why was I under the impression that the games were set like this:
Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 3 -> Sonic & Knuckles -> Sonic 4: Ep 1 -> Sonic 4: Ep 2

Sciz

Why was I under the impression that the games were set like this:
Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 3 -> Sonic & Knuckles -> Sonic 4: Ep 1 -> Sonic 4: Ep 2

Release order.

I've always slipped CD between 1 and 2 thanks to it being stylistically closer to 1 and Tails not being around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom