• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping my "Honorable Mentions" choices are esoteric enough. A lot of really good obscure titles gonna get buried under all the modern FPSes that came out this generation, probably, so at least I'll let them have some spotlight.

Also, REELism (the Doom mod I highlighted under "insane"; video, site) is amazing. You have to survive 5/10/infinite rounds of invading enemies - except how every round proceeds is defined by three slots, which roll at the beginning of each. One defines the weapons you get. The second defines the enemies you face. The third defines what odd quirk you'll have to put up with, ranging from enemies wandering around aimlessly instead of hunting you, being able to fly, running around really fast, having no friction, having to put up with insane fog, having an iOS button overlay plastered on your screen, being forced into a tank, being forced into Dog Mode (not a typo for God Mode; it's a Rise of the Triad thing)... it's madcap insanity. I love it.

How do you use your time productively? By going through GiantBomb's Sonic wiki articles and making sure they read well and look nice on the new site design

http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-generations/3030-34833/
http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/3030-20584/
http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-unleashed/3030-20953/
http://www.giantbomb.com/sonic-adventure/3030-7852/

I have actually become one of those terrifying people who care about readability on a game wiki after having basically wrote more than half of the wiki articles for Sonic games on GB and then slowly watching them get destroyed over a period of four years by people with more enthusiasm than writing skill

So I am going through and making sure they read well again now that the new site design is out. But I'm kind of burnt out after doing Sonic Adventure because that seriously took like an hour to clean up because I just had to get fancy with tables n' shit

Nert

I have actually become one of those terrifying people who care about readability on a game wiki after having basically wrote more than half of the wiki articles for Sonic games on GB and then slowly watching them get destroyed over a period of four years by people with more enthusiasm than writing skill

So I am going through and making sure they read well again now that the new site design is out. But I'm kind of burnt out after doing Sonic Adventure because that seriously took like an hour to clean up because I just had to get fancy with tables n' shit

Hey, I completely know where you're coming from with the obsessive formatting stuff. I spend too much time on formatting the soundtrack of the year stuff to the point where I don't think almost anyone notices; every image is a 320x320 png (they can't be jpegs) uploaded to a personal Minus account, for example. If you feel passionate about what you're putting together and want it to be accessible and interesting to others, it's a good idea to take presentation seriously.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I liked the beta version of the site, when the boxart on the S&ASRT page was a close-up of Jeff's face.

Ah, a new member of SonicGAF. Welcome.

We have someone who has a Nipples the Enchilada avatar so please change it to avoid confusion.

Sega1991 said:
I wonder if your changes will stay intact.

I'm still surprised with the amount of detail you put into the Sonic 06 page. It almost felt as though writing the page was an outlet for you. :p

I wonder if your changes will stay intact.

I'm still surprised with the amount of detail you put into the Sonic 06 page. It almost felt as though writing the page was an outlet for you. :p

Beyond my dislike for that game, I like games with lost features. For example, a non-trivial part of the Starfox Adventures page was also written by me (though not all of it, but it should be obvious which parts I was interested in writing).

So what was up with that seemingly random list of music back there Schala?

And who in the bluest of blue hell is Hot Coldman?!

Sonic Gaf is full of mysteries for me this morning!

Malajax

Wha... Why did no one tell me that the full Sonic Generations soundtrack was on iTunes?!

Why?!

And it has been available for a whole year? Nvlgadfnjlkargenjklasghrasgeranluilhkbsrafbfuhasdfkwqiuwebfkul

qq more

I'm hoping my "Honorable Mentions" choices are esoteric enough. A lot of really good obscure titles gonna get buried under all the modern FPSes that came out this generation, probably, so at least I'll let them have some spotlight.

Also, REELism (the Doom mod I highlighted under "insane"; video, site) is amazing. You have to survive 5/10/infinite rounds of invading enemies - except how every round proceeds is defined by three slots, which roll at the beginning of each. One defines the weapons you get. The second defines the enemies you face. The third defines what odd quirk you'll have to put up with, ranging from enemies wandering around aimlessly instead of hunting you, being able to fly, running around really fast, having no friction, having to put up with insane fog, having an iOS button overlay plastered on your screen, being forced into a tank, being forced into Dog Mode (not a typo for God Mode; it's a Rise of the Triad thing)... it's madcap insanity. I love it.
Oh, I remember hearing about this mod. My friend has been telling me about it and it sounds great.

And welcome to SonicGAF Hot Coldman

lol

I'd probably get further in making a list if I didn't insist games like Human Revolution don't count as FPSs. As it stands, I've got HL2, Doom, Far Cry 2, Metroid Prime and that's it.

I just vastly prefer third-person shooters.

Yeah, now I think about it when I was thinking shooters I actually had a bunch of third person games in my head alongside the FPS games, overall it's not a genre I bother with that much.

Metroid Prime, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, Halo series multiplayer....Bioshock? yeah i'm already low on steam here.
Plus I haven't played much of the earlier landmark FPS titles so really I just feel under qualified.

qq more

Just beat my 2nd game... and it's almost week 3. I gotta speed up!

[X]Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
[X]NSMB U
[]Wario World
[]Rhythm Heaven Fever
[]Mega Man IV (Gameboy. I'm replacing the first one with this because it got too evil)
[]Pokemon Black
[]dunno
[] :s

I'd probably get further in making a list if I didn't insist games like Human Revolution don't count as FPSs. As it stands, I've got HL2, Doom, Far Cry 2, Metroid Prime and that's it.

I just vastly prefer third-person shooters.
Eh, I'd say Human Revolution mostly counts. I suppose the cover system is very third-person, but the vast majority of the game isn't.

Oh, I remember hearing about this mod. My friend has been telling me about it and it sounds great.
It really is. They just put out a new version last night; haven't had much time to play it, but they added a "fight the boss instantly" mode, which is pretty nice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good news guyz, guess what's coming soon to PSN via PS2 classics:

kWEP3BT.png

Now every Sonic fan can enjoy
suffering

It's funny, watching the Grumps work their way through the game almost makes me want to try my hand again at the trainwreck.

Perhaps, one day, in a fit of insanity, I will do so...

So I spent the past couple of days playing the DMC HD Collection and beat it.

By beat it, I mean beat DMC 1 and DMC3 and play through three missions of DMC2 with a disgruntled look on my face and declared it beaten.

I was surprised at how well DMC1 holds up, that game is still awesome. DMC3 took that awesome and amplified several times though.

Everything about DMC2 felt like it was outsourced to Brazilian studio or something.

What the fuck even happened with that game.

So I spent the past couple of days playing the DMC HD Collection and beat it.

By beat it, I mean beat DMC 1 and DMC3 and play through three missions of DMC2 with a disgruntled look on my face and declared it beaten.

I was surprised at how well DMC1 holds up, that game is still awesome. DMC3 took that awesome and amplified several times though.

Everything about SMC2 felt like it was outsourced to Brazilian studio or something.

What the fuck even happened with that game.
Super Mario Cry-laxy 2

DMC2 was a shitty game made by another studio behind Kamiya's back, that had the DMC label attached to it halfway through production, and then rushed out to market in the first fiscal quarter.

We don't speak about it

whoops lol

DMC2 did at least introduce Bullet Rain and Wall running.

The execution of both sucked but at least the idea was put on the floor for DMC3 to pick up and polish.

So what you guys are saying is I should make DMC2 my final game in my Four for Feb?
Never, but I might glance at it out of cat killing curiosity

So what you guys are saying is I should make DMC2 my final game in my Four for Feb?
Never, but I might glance at it out of cat killing curiosity

Sure. It's not like it's a hard game to beat.

My GameStop had a copy of Suikoden II for $15 bucks. I hear that game's pretty good? There better be a sprint option!

WHAT THE FUCK

I am jelly, mad, mad jelly, and jelly mad all at once.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So what was up with that seemingly random list of music back there Schala?
Goes back to the discussion of me making a mix CD for the car.

Wha... Why did no one tell me that the full Sonic Generations soundtrack was on iTunes?!
I think Sega's been putting their stuff up on iTunes for a while, though. I think the iTunes version came out around a similar time to the disc version.

I have the disc version and the packaging's pretty.

I'm beginning to think that i'm not cut out for making an acceptable list for the FPS thread, boo.
After this post talking about street cred, I don't think I should post a list either.

I'm not very well-versed in FPS games so my street cred is low.

That's been on EU PSN for ages. Why, I have no idea. At least they have the dignity not to try and fancy it up HD-style.
Would you do the same?

DMC2 was a shitty game made by another studio behind Kamiya's back, that had the DMC label attached to it halfway through production, and then rushed out to market in the first fiscal quarter.

We don't speak about it
Also somewhat explains why it's soooo easy and how you could speedrun the thing just using your guns alone.

The balancing's so wonky in that game. Ugh.

Goes back to the discussion of me making a mix CD for the car.
I must've missed this, it was like suddenly: music list.

After this post talking about street cred, I don't think I should post a list either.

I'm not very well-versed in FPS games so my street cred is low.

I was one of those sheltered privileged kids playing FPS titles on the home consoles, I can't hang with those PC gangs, I haven't been through their trials!

I was one of those sheltered privileged kids playing FPS titles on the home consoles, I can't hang with those PC gangs, I haven't been through their trials!
You could play Doom! It's cheap (or has a free alternative, although I think the official game data is better), and has way too many good mods to play through. Heck, you can check out that REELism one I started the page with; it's crazy.

Just grab a source port like GZDoom (for the more involved mods) or PrBoom+ (for more authentic gameplay/more traditional mods) and start shooting Cacodemons.

Sciz

DOOM is one of those absolutely, positively mandatory games that everyone needs to play out of at least historical interest, if not actual enthusiasm for the gameplay. It and Quake had a mind-bogglingly large influence on the path the industry took in their wake.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Soooooo... what is this:

This video has been posted right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo&feature=youtu.be

Comparison between ACM demo, and the final product.
Did they make Sega even more broke that they can't even make costume DLC for a Sonic game?

I wouldn't re-release Sonic Heroes at all.
what did you do with your old username

Funny thing is, I did most of my FPS playing at that point in time on PC because we kept upgrading it. Like everyone else said, Doom and Quake are two of those essential games, period. Doom, moreso because it changed everything. It may not have been the first 3D game, but I think it gets more recognition for its implementation of it. You weren't limited to perpendicular walls or anything anymore; you had varying topography and level design and full texture-mapping. You also had weapon loadout/a full arsenal of weapons to your disposal, which is now commonplace...

...and you can't forget its notoriety for being one of the more controversial games in the US.

So... maybe Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D.

Absolutely nobody is paying attention to that, so I wouldn't mind.

In fact, absolutely nobody is paying attention to the part in the OP where it says Portal is not an FPS, sooo
I thought it was pretty condescending in a hilarious way just because of how it was written. Still, it's not my genre of choice, so I think I'll read more posts before deciding to jump in.

And no one reads OPs. Unless the title is scandalous.

what did you do with your old username

I changed it. It was crap. I thought this was better, it made me laugh initially. Now I'm sorta like "eh". Plus everyone keeps going nuts about it, which is off-putting. The mods might change it back, depends if they see my request or not. If not, eh. If they do, well, it'd stop everyone going mental.

Nert

I'm so behind with my games for February, im just finishing FE Sacred Stones.

I'm only about 75% of the way through Final Fantasy VI and I'm screwing around with UMvC3 right now instead of making any more progress. I'll be lucky to finish two games at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom