• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

MTPmoranguides suspended?
Wait. Episode 1 was a sequel to Sonic 3&K. Episode 2 was a sequel to Sonic CD. I'm confused. I can't believe I'm even talking about timeline discussion here, but:
Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3 -> Sonic & Knuckles -> Sonic 4: Ep 1 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 4: Ep 2

That is some confusing shit.

Episode 2 is really only a CD sequel in the sense that Metal Sonic is in it and it features Little Planet. There's no reason it can't be taken that Eggman left Metal Sonic rot while trying the whole Death Egg lark and only went back to retry the robot clone thing because the reappearance of Little Planet happened to coincide with the period after his defeats in 2, 3&K and S4E1.

Because Sonic canon is serious business :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega's timeline still doesn't make sense to me! It's just weird and rubs me the wrong way, completely. Why even bother doing that, narrative-wise? Stylistically and narrative-wise, it simply seems odd to set CD after 3&K. It feels strange considering the main players are just Sonic, Amy (who we don't hear from again until Sonic R/Drift/the Fighters), Metal Sonic, and Eggman. It feels weird because of the combination of CD's playstyle and playable character alone. The Taxman version of the game makes me feel a little less confused about it since it added Tails in anyway, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

I'm still a little confused. Someone needs to draw a diagram.

"Original" vs "This is where Sega decided to do their little bullshit just because"

Meh, timelines in Sonic were never a thing anyway.

Sonic 1 -> Sonic CD -> Eggman decides to shift his focus to making a giant moon: Sonics 2, 3&K and Ep1 deal with the Death Egg/EGG Station -> oh hey that planetoid is back, combining both failed plans is sure to succeed!: Episode II

Episode II can be a CD "sequel" without taking place immediately after it chronologically.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now that makes sense.

This screen confused me, but putting it into your context, it seems to make more sense. I don't think it's necessary to put them chronologically beside each other unless that's what Sega wants to do.

4FZeAGM.png

Then why the heck did Robotnik even bother building Mecha Sonic when he could probably fix Metal Sonic with the monies he's using to build crap to use in Sonic 2-3&K?!

Then why the heck did Robotnik even bother building Mecha Sonic when he could probably fix Metal Sonic with the monies he's using to build crap to use in Sonic 2-3&K?!

Well if you really wanted to actually think about it there's plenty of reasons, ranging from "he just wanted to get the fuck off Little Planet before Sonic murdered his shit so he left the remains behind", to "improved engineering and/or manufacturing techniques made it more cost-effective to just build the newer models instead of retrieving, repairing and upgrading Metal Sonic", and "he only grabbed and repaired Metal Sonic because it made sense given he was already back converting Little Planet to the Death Egg Mk. II".

But yeah, Sonic story :V

Can we talk about how awesome the Follin Brothers were?

Silver Surfer -- Saving a bad game with a good and catchy as hell soundtrack. Everyone usually posts the first stage music as an example, but I think the entire soundtrack is a wonderful package overall. Lots of wonderful flourishes and channel manipulation while creating some decent loops.

Solstice had a ton of atmospheric content by contrast, but it still managed to be extremely catchy. Kinda interesting that Tim Follin decided to just compose with the computer as opposed to an actual instrument, but it worked.
Unreleased but still undeniably godlike.

Plok!, too.

So get this: Sonic's cameo in Wreck-It Ralph will be voiced, in Japan, by...

Tomokazu Seki. I bet you were expecting Jun'ichi Kanemaru, weren't you?

This guy, I'm assuming.

He's no stranger to Sonic, since he (apparently) voiced the Werehog? Sounds... inaccurate, but okay, what do I know?

(Also, there was a Burning Rangers anime?)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well if you really wanted to actually think about it there's plenty of reasons, ranging from "he just wanted to get the fuck off Little Planet before Sonic murdered his shit so he left the remains behind", to "improved engineering and/or manufacturing techniques made it more cost-effective to just build the newer models instead of retrieving, repairing and upgrading Metal Sonic", and "he only grabbed and repaired Metal Sonic because it made sense given he was already back converting Little Planet to the Death Egg Mk. II".

But yeah, Sonic story :V
Yeah, makes sense. Sonic Canon was always silly!

I want to know who's funding Robotnik's research, because the guy must be the most patient man in the world. He couldn't have inherited all that cash.

Plok is genuinely one of the best soundtracks on that system. I really miss the Follins doing music for game systems, but I guess they had to move on sometime.

Still compiling music for my CD. Chiptunes don't take up much space. Might just put some Ys Zanmai or Kiseki Arrange on there and be done with it.

So get this: Sonic's cameo in Wreck-It Ralph will be voiced, in Japan, by...

Tomokazu Seki. I bet you were expecting Jun'ichi Kanemaru, weren't you?
Maybe it's because Seki also voices Ezio, much like Roger Craig Smith voices Ezio. Kidding. He's a really good voice actor, and he's been in a lot of roles I've liked in the past. They probably got him because he's just a bigger seiyuu or Kanemaru might be busy.

Still, Sonic had, like, 1 line in the film and it was a Sonic Sez homage, iirc.

So I rented the new Aliens game, even though all the reviews and impressions say it's terrible, with the highest praise being, "It's not THAT horrible...maybe", but fuck it, Aliens FPS, how bad can it be

Brothers and sisters, do not make the same mistake I did. This game is a fuckin' embarrassment. The Infinite Undiscovery of shooters. This was suppose to be one of the 4 pillars of Sega's AAA publishing!?

smh.gif

A couple of my friends went to an event in the city for that game. They got to play in a team tournament and got 2nd place, losing only to the people who ended up winning the entire thing. They said that aside from the winning team, it was full of complete scrubs.

I noticed while they were telling me about the event and the stuff they won that they did not mention the quality of the game itself.

Noi

So I rented the new Aliens game, even though all the reviews and impressions say it's terrible, with the highest praise being, "It's not THAT horrible...maybe", but fuck it, Aliens FPS, how bad can it be

Brothers and sisters, do not make the same mistake I did. This game is a fuckin' embarrassment. The Infinite Undiscovery of shooters. This was suppose to be one of the 4 pillars of Sega's AAA publishing!?

smh.gif

You do realize that by saying this, you've only made me more curious to play it someday.

It's what I do.

What does that say?
It says " くそゲー are the ベストゲー!".

"Kusogei are the besutogei!" Although that first one should be "くそげー", shouldn't it? Why mix hiragana and katakana?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It says " くそゲー are the ベストゲー!".

"Kusogei are the besutogei!" Although that first one should be "くそげー", shouldn't it? Why mix hiragana and katakana?
Kusoge is just a portmanteau of kuso (a Taiwanese word) and gemu (an English word) anyway). So you're mixing a borrowed word with another borrowed word. Mixing happens quite often in sentence structure, but not necessarily words but it does happen. It should be in katakana.

Edit: What Anth0ny said. The best way to probably write it is : クソゲー

Like something like this: テレビっ子 (couch potato) - mixes hiragana, katakana and a kanji.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ok so... this is what I have so far.

Batman NES - Stage 1
Tales of Symphonia - Fighting of the Spirit - Tales of Symphonia Version
Sigma Harmonics - Heartening~Dance of the Cornered Rat
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES Ver) - Boss Battle
Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight
Time Travelers - An Honest Heart (Kamiya's Theme)
Sonic Unleashed - Dragon Road Night
Lufia II - Battle 3 (Sinistral Battle Theme)
Sonic Colours - Terminal Velocity Act 1
Sonic Generations - Planet Wisp Classic (never got the dislike for this one, tbh)
Persona Music Live Band - Mist
Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange - Inevitable Struggle
Akumajo Dracula X Chi no Rondo - (Divine) Bloodlines
Mega Man 9 - We're the Robots

I dunno what else.

EDIT: Dammit, double post. Whatever. This thread's going to come to a close in 25 pages! :O

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
MAJIMA GORO TIME. You just made me think of Loser.

I think I'm gonna make 2 CDs. I thought of a couple more but can't fit some of it on there. Like Glory Days from Wangan Midnight and some stuff from Contra Hard Corps or Contra 3.

Have we finally decided what thread title we're going with?
It's up to the Man Who Hates Chaos.

EDIT: In speaking of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vg_v8onMjY
I think it's for a fan game but I have no idea what it's like but I like this song!
This sounds like it'd fit Mario better, tbh. It just has that Mario-esque sound that I'd associate with that series a lot more than I would with Sonic in general.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is "chao" also plural?

omg, look how far down the page it got. :(

Fuck it, lemme see if I can fish something up. I don't even know what FPS games I've played. I've played Doom, Quake, Quake II, Metroid Prime 1-3, Goldeneye, Turok, Perfect Dark... Uhhh... I'll... I'll get back to you.

Yeah, I got sick a lot when I was a kid and I realized that the genre wasn't for me. I don't want to play a game and get sick. That's kinda why it took me so long to get into 3D platformers. They made me feel really dizzy.

I'll throw up a list and some writings tomorrow JC! I'm too tired at the moment to put any thought into it. Although a list-only vote might be better. I'm considering it, not enjoying what happens when I try to put a bit more effort into my posts lately.

qq more

welp

I hope Sony doesn't do the same thing. And if they do... I guess I'll just stick with Wii U only until they get rid of the Anti Used and Always Online DRMs.

BlackJace

Did bgassassin confirm whether or not the anti-used thing was correct / the always-online thing would be some sort of DRM or disallowing users to play used games?

He doesn't know the exact reason why, but he's saying that's the most logical reason.
Come on MS, out of the big 3, you had the position to do really well out of the gate.

Is "chao" also plural?
Yes. It's like "sheep". You don't go herding "sheeps". :p

I saw this when I made that last post and started writing up my list.

It's 11PM and I still am not done. Egads.

EDIT: And now I am. Picking 8 of those top 10 was easy as pie. Picking two more to round it out was a lot harder. I was tempted to graduate Powerslave up to Top 10, but the controls kinda hold it back a bit. I suppose Goldeneye isn't really a paragon of good control, either, but eh, it's an undisputed classic, might as well.

...actually, seeing the scoring metric, Powerslave could use the extra point more than Goldeneye. Swapping that shit.

For the record Shadow, your experience with UT2004 mirrors mine almost exactly. I would play online for some Assault/Onslaught matches every once in a while, but 80-85% of my time were by myself with those great, great bots. What a fun game that was. Soooo many maps, so many mods...

UT3...

:(

Noi

Noi
くそゲー are the ベストゲー!
(Today, 07:11 PM)

It's a way of life.

I AM going to stop playing Lords of Shadow though. I seriously can't muster the motivation to play that thing anymore, and I need money anyway that's one less shitty game to force myself through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom