• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

I changed it. It was crap. I thought this was better, it made me laugh initially. Now I'm sorta like "eh". Plus everyone keeps going nuts about it, which is off-putting. The mods might change it back, depends if they see my request or not. If not, eh. If they do, well, it'd stop everyone going mental.

There are no bad usernames.

Sciz

Not even XxXSepiroth420Snipes2killXxX?

On the lower end of the taste spectrum, but still within tolerance. You have to get into territory where it genuinely can't be interpreted as a name (lengthy phrases, unintelligible strings of characters) before you run into problems.

(There are no good usernames either.)

Eh, there's some good ones. stumpokapow, EmCeeGrammr, Professor Beef to name a few that come to mind. Epic Tales of Penis was pretty awesome. crazy buttocks on a train.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I changed it. It was crap. I thought this was better, it made me laugh initially. Now I'm sorta like "eh". Plus everyone keeps going nuts about it, which is off-putting. The mods might change it back, depends if they see my request or not. If not, eh. If they do, well, it'd stop everyone going mental.
I'm sure they're just like the rest of us and are just ribbing you about it. First day's usually like that.

I don't care because I'll be able to recognize your posting style anyway.

Good news guyz, guess what's coming soon to PSN via PS2 classics:

kWEP3BT.png

Now every Sonic fan can enjoy
suffering

but what about the excitement of hearing your childhood heroes speak together

In retrospect that argument for-Heroes never made sense in the first place since the characters almost always had a VA and banter

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Read #245. I don't have much to add to Sciz's post other than,
wow, I'm glad Shard's going to be here. Truly one of the better characters, and a fantastic addition to the arc for the sake of just being there to save it. I found the issue to be not too bad, but that good either... and that's for obvious reasons. Just bad timing for that Penders bit.

Also, even if the When Worlds Collide counter on the cover wasn't updated (same thing happens on SU#48), keeping the counter there really doesn't help to keep my hype at ground levels.

Heropon

I've just remembered that I have Sonic Heroes but I haven't played it yet... I have too much Sonic backlog, time to do something about it.

Someday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've just remembered that I have Sonic Heroes but I haven't played it yet... I have too much Sonic backlog, time to do something about it.

Someday.
The only thing you need to do Sonic Heroes-related is catch up on the soundtrack. And even then, I'm not sure if I like it a lot... but that's because out of all the Sonic soundtracks, it's the one I've listened to the least. What I'm Made Of is a good song. The Machine has some good basswork.

Remember when this image got released? And how it made the game look soooo enticing? That was before I realized everything looked like plastic. The intent behind the game wasn't bad. The execution left much to be desired.

yUBUEUD.jpg

The main issue with Heroes in my opinion is that it neither Adventure games had a polished enough '3D Sonic' experience for it to be time to start throwing gimmicks into the mix.

Hypothetical example; if SM64 hadn't been the great transition to 3D for Mario that it was, I don't think we would've gotten Sunshine but rather a more direct sequel which aimed to fix whatever issues in 3D Mario platforming were left to iron out. I'd argue to a certain extent they already screwed this up by the time Adventure 2 hit; despite being a sequel both takes on Sonic's gameplay are fairly different to one another; one is more open-ended, the other is very linear and trick-focused. They didn't so much fix the issues Adventure had (besides obvious ones like taking out fishing and hubworlds) but just go off in a fairly different direction.

I think Sonic Team to a certain extent realized this, which is why you have enemies with life-bars; it's an easy way to artificially drag out the length of every level and hide the fact most running and platforming segments of Heroes' levels are pretty automatic or clunky.

Heropon

Ugh, then I definitely should finish Sonic Adventure before I attempt that, but I don't really know if I should try to play it again. I remember that SA made me swear like a sailor when I was younger, but maybe I'm better now and I could beat it before going to the asylum! :D

qq more

I loved Sonic Heroes as a kid, didn't see any problems with it.

My complaints about the game is pretty much:
-Levels are too long for their own good
-Enemies with HP, I really do not think enemies should have HP in Sonic games. It breaks the flow and just forces you to fight them. I think it's okay when it's like a sub boss though.
-Team Chaotix missions are poorly thought out. Who thought the torch mission in Hang Castle (or that mansion stage) was a good idea???
-Too much talking!

The music of the game is great though, I can say that.

I loved Sonic Heroes as a kid, didn't see any problems with it.
Try it again, you'll probably find a few. I tried it as a young teenager still high on Sonic fanboyism, more or less devoid of cynicism, and... uh, yeah, I knew what I was playing wasn't really that great, although I managed to eke some fun out of it regardless, somehow.

Ugh, then I definitely should finish Sonic Adventure before I attempt that, but I don't really know if I should try to play it again. I remember that SA made me swear like a sailor when I was younger, but maybe I'm better now and I could beat it before going to the asylum! :D
As someone who feels Adventure and the sequel have aged poorly, they're far better game than Heroes.

I wouldn't recommend investing that much time into it if you can help it. :X

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy Valentine's Day, SonicGAF~

Obligatory:

6u2TsId.jpg

Astrosanity said:
I think Sonic Team to a certain extent realized this, which is why you have enemies with life-bars; it's an easy way to artificially drag out the length of every level and hide the fact most running and platforming segments of Heroes' levels are pretty automatic or clunky.
I don't think I ever liked this. They essentially served as slight "very very very minibosses" in that sense, or they took time to damage in cases where you absolutely had to fight them but Sonic wasn't really about taking out enemies for scores to me. I usually saw the games as: "find every ring and explore" or "gotta speeeed uuuuup". Enemies were simply mere obstructions that I generally jumped over or got rid of because they got in my way... and it was okay because they only took one blow to get rid of.

In fact, I disliked it when they started adding areas where you had to take out every enemy before moving on because it truly messes up the pacing of every level.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think we discussed a few pages ago, but came to the conclusion that it neither looks like a Slime nor a Chao. Unless they redesigned the Chao (which I doubt), I'm not sure if it is one. It looks more like Puni, but the eyes are different.

These are what Chao currently look like, and they're missing the eyes and cheek flush that the EDGE advert has:

jmllPHh.png

Pietepiet

I think we discussed a few pages ago, but came to the conclusion that it neither looks like a Slime nor a Chao. Unless they redesigned the Chao (which I doubt), I'm not sure if it is one. It looks more like Puni, but the eyes are different.

These are what Chao currently look like, and they're missing the eyes and cheek flush that the EDGE advert has:

jmllPHh.png

It looked like that thing from Klonoa to me. That blue sphere thing, whatever it's called

Noi

I feel like I need to comment about it somewhere, but that last ND kinda shows why I've been pretty apathetic to Nintendo software in the past few years. I've been playing games starring Mario and co. for some 20+ years now, so it's really hard to muster excitement when they reveal a whole batch of Mario titles at once. The most fun I get out of them nowadays is from characters that AREN'T part of the main cast (see: every paper Mario not named sticker star).

Like I'm sure the actual games continue to be solid (for the most part), it's hard to avoid to feeling of been there, done that with that franchise.

I feel like I need to comment about it somewhere, but that last ND kinda shows why I've been pretty apathetic to Nintendo software in the past few years. I've been playing games starring Mario and co. for some 20+ years now, so it's really hard to muster excitement when they reveal a whole batch of Mario titles at once. The most fun I get out of them nowadays is from characters that AREN'T part of the main cast (see: every paper Mario not named sticker star).

Like I'm sure the actual games continue to be solid (for the most part), it's hard to avoid to feeling of been there, done that with that franchise.

Pretty much me too; that Luigi.

Mario and Luigi 4 looks good

everything else....meh

-ANOTHER NSMB game, because we didn't get enough of that shit with NSMB2 and NSMBU

-A Wii port of a game I've played to death

-Animal Crossing, because for whatever reason people love doing chores in a video game

Never really cared much about Mario besides the Mario and Luigi games.

I mean sure I played Mario games growing up, but they never really left a lasting impression on me. Besides the music of course.

I'd complain about Mario fatigue but Mario Golf is my jam so they got away with that one, and i'm hardly going to complain about DLC for NSMBU when they already said that it would have DLC.
Mario & Luigi on the other hand, ehhhh, it'll probably be good but everything after God tier Superstar Saga has been either lame (PiT) or okay (BiS), still it looks nice visually but i'd love to see Alpha Dream do something else completely different.

-ANOTHER NSMB game, because we didn't get enough of that shit with NSMB2 and NSMBU
Technically it isn't "another game"; it's add-on stuff for BAH BAH U.

Dunno if want, but making it star Luigi is appreciated. Luigi's my favorite character by virtue of wearing my favorite color, and has been since I first played SMB2 back in the early '90s.

And Mario & Luigi 4, mmm. I haven't played an M&L game since Superstar Saga...

As happy as I am for M&L4, I'd really like to see Alpha Dream do something new.

After seeing how Camelot handled Tennis Open and most of their other games past the GBA/GC era, I don't really have any hope for the new Mario Golf, though.

Not sure what to think about the whole dream thing.

Was really hoping for Mario and Luigi vs Wario and Waluigi.

I keep wanting/expecting this but then they come out with some way more interesting idea. First it was being inside Bowser, now it's being inside Luigi.

...Actually this is starting to sound like they're getting their ideas from deviantArt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom