• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackula

Ps3:

Turn on console
wait for bootup
put in disc
AN UPDATE IS REQUIRED, wait for update to download
wait for update to install
MANDATORY GAME INSTALL, wait for install to finish
screen full of logos
another screen full of logos
opening video
title screen
Press start, difficulty select
Press start
opening FMV or whatever
game starts

NES:

Pop in Castlevania
Turn console on BAM TITLE SCREEN
press start, watch 5 second intro
game starts

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Y U NO was never funny and I'm sick of seeing posters around my school with it advertising tutoring or something. But at least it grabs attention, I dunno.

Also my school has a "Gamer Lab" but I don't know what they do in there. @___@

I'm buying this game on Tuesday Wednesday. Wish me luck!

To be fair, I think the art direction looks alright. I loved El Shaddai through and through, art direction included (and people who say that the combat doesn't have depth hasn't gone for G-ranks like Yuterald did; reading his descriptions as to how to attain some of them just doesn't make me want to do it because there are so many things you need to do to get the combat right).

Poltergust said:
So... how about that supposed "leak" for the rumored "Sonic Adventure 3", huh? Only ten days left in February and not even a hint so far. =/
Still probably might go into March.

Ps3:

Turn on console
wait for bootup
put in disc
screen full of logos
opening video
title screen
Press start
opening FMV or whatever
game starts
My favourite is when I can't press start to skip the logos.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love it when I download a DEMO and it needs to be patched. Why does a download game need a patch? Why can't the patch be pre-applied? Why does a DEMO need a patch for that matter?
How is that even possible?

Demo discs didn't need patches. Because they were demos. Man, I miss demo discs.

Man, now I'm learning why everyone says the DKC trilogy isn't all that great. First game is practically Trial and Error: The Game. (I'm only really familar with the GBC port of the first game and the DKL games, never really played much of the SNES trilogy)

Nice music, though.

Noi

It depends on the demo in question. There's been demos that have been patched because something wasn't right about them (Uncharted 3 demo being patched to disable region-blocking), or because there was something otherwise buggy about it that would potentially turn people away from the full game.

Either way, for a console demo to get a patch, there's usually some reason behind it, and it's not that frequent.

Quackula

Man, now I'm learning why everyone says the DKC trilogy isn't all that great. First game is practically Trial and Error: The Game. (I'm only really familar with the GBC port of the first game and the DKL games, never really played much of the SNES trilogy)

Nice music, though.

First game was a solid platformer that was basically the Genesis killer. It was a graphical and audio powerhouse that people didn't think would be possible on a vanilla SNES. Now that the spectacle has worn off people just see it for what it is: a decent platformer, nothing really special about it.

The sequel is a much better, much more refined game in pretty much every possible aspect. Probably why you don't see as much hate for it.

I've never spent much time with DKC3 personally.

PSN and XBLA games tend to be demo executables with purchasable "unlock" keys, so at least in that case, it sort of makes sense as to why they're patched; if the main game needs a patch, then, well, the main executable just so happens to be the demo executable (but with an unlock key!), so that has to be patched too.

Wouldn't make much sense for demos of retail games, though.

I'm actually concerned that this heavy reliance on patching means that anyone coming into this generation a few generations on from now, when these online services simply won't exist, will be utterly boned.

Quackula

PSN and XBLA games tend to be demo executables with purchasable "unlock" keys, so at least in that case, it sort of makes sense as to why they're patched; if the main game needs a patch, then, well, the main executable just so happens to be the demo executable (but with an unlock key!), so that has to be patched too.

Wouldn't make much sense for demos of retail games, though.

I'm actually concerned that this heavy reliance on patching means that anyone coming into this generation a few generations on from now, when these online services simply won't exist, will be utterly boned.

Ugh, yeah. How often to greatest hits type re-releases of games comes with patches pre-applied?

First game was a solid platformer that was basically the Genesis killer. It was a graphical and audio powerhouse that people didn't think would be possible on a vanilla SNES. Now that the spectacle has worn off people just see it for what it is: a decent platformer, nothing really special about it.

The sequel is a much better, much more refined game in pretty much every possible aspect. Probably why you don't see as much hate for it.

I've never spent much time with DKC3 personally.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I am looking forward to getting DKC2, though. The more I go into the SNES (and Saturn, for that matter) threads, the more compelled I am to go on eBay and buy some more stuff, heh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DKC2 is probably the best one out of the three.

That's all I'm going to say on this matter. (In before Nocturnowl digs up old posts of mine about the series.)

You know, I never gave much of a thought to that, but you're right. What'll happen to these games that are kind of busted out of the gate and need to be patched for DLC or to make it playable or something like that?

The PC market seems fine because you don't really have to worry about BC stuff or seeing whether or not the network will facilitate you getting the patch. But I don't know if the networks on the consoles will be the same years from now.

Quackula

DKC2 is probably the best one out of the three.

That's all I'm going to say on this matter. (In before Nocturnowl digs up old posts of mine about the series.)

Weren't you saying once that you were worried that sometimes you come across as hating a game more than you actually do?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Weren't you saying once that you were worried that sometimes you come across as hating a game more than you actually do?
That's true. But I really don't like the DKC games that much. Not even DKCR (had way more fun with Epic Yarn, Colours, and Galaxy that year). I don't hate them, but I just think they're kind of boring and I don't like the look of the SNES games that much in the first place.

Nocturnowl seems to love digging up this old post, though:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27852452&postcount=177

Edit: If I wanted to be outright mean, I'd probably echo some of Segata's posts about DKC before he left.

Quackula

That's true. But I really don't like the DKC games that much. Not even DKCR (had way more fun with Epic Yarn, Colours, and Galaxy that year). I don't hate them, but I just think they're kind of boring and I don't like the look of the SNES games that much in the first place.

Nocturnowl seems to love digging up this old post, though:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27852452&postcount=177

Edit: If I wanted to be outright mean, I'd probably echo some of Segata's posts about DKC before he left.

I think most game soundtracks, especially more ambient/atmospheric stuff really doesn't work well outside of the context of the game itself. There's little I'd listen to in the DKC games on their own, but in the levels themselves they work rather well I think.

I can definitely understand "boring" for DKC though. I find the game plenty enjoyable, but it's nowhere near as good as something like say, Yoshi's Island.

I'm having fun with the game, don't get me wrong but... yeah, I definitely have a few problems with this. I know a bunch of people that swear by this game and consider it superior to any platformer on the Genesis.

I dunno, that "Krook's March" is pretty fun to listen to on its own. I haven't played DKC2 to get the context, though.

That said, "Rockface Rumble" (GBA) is amazing, while the SNES counterpart is... eh.

I'm having fun with the game, don't get me wrong but... yeah, I definitely have a few problems with this. I know a bunch of people that swear by this game and consider it superior to any platformer on the Genesis.
It's the "up detection", isn't it? JonTron redeemed

Quackula

Rocket Knight Adventures is way better than DKC. So are all 3 of the main Sonic games (I consider 3K one game).

I honestly can't think of a ton of Genesis exclusive platformers outside of those that really warrant a direct comparison though. Chalk that up to me not being as familiar with the Genesis library I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For our car trip on the weekend:

"[Schala's name], did you put any DKC2 stuff on this new mix CD?"
"Why would I?"
"Why do you hate DKC music so much?"
"I never said I hated it. I put some Castlevania stuff on there for you to listen to, didn't I? Shit, stop being so damn picky."
"It's not my fault you hate fun."
"I put Persona music on here. It's fun."
"No it's not. The songs with lyrics are terrible."

...this is why you don't go out with people who play video games if you play video games yourself. :|

Seven Force said:
I don't see that at all. I don't like the level assortment. I agree with Segata when he said this, but I would never be that blunt. I just can't see what makes these games better than any Genesis platformer at all.

Rocket Knight Adventures is way better than DKC. So are all 3 of the main Sonic games (I consider 3K one game).

I honestly can't think of a ton of Genesis exclusive platformers outside of those that really warrant a direct comparison though. Chalk that up to me not being as familiar with the Genesis library I guess.

Off the top of my head, I'd say RKA, the Sonic games, Shinobi III, Vectorman and Castlevania: Bloodlines are some of the standout Genesis platformers that could be compared fairly. And I enjoy all of those games more than what I've played of DKC so far.

I agree with Segata when he said this, but I would never be that blunt.

The problems he highlighted are exactly what's bugging me.

TheOGB

Banned
I tried as hard as I could to like DK but I just sucked at it; way too reckless. :p

Just got back from being on the radio (it was AWESOME!) and picked up Spec Ops: The Line for me and MGR: Revengeance for my girlfriend on the way home. She's got great taste in games, though it can be pretty limited. But she loves action games and is a big MGS fan, so she's gonna flip when I give it to her tomorrow. :)

I just feel good, how are you doing, SonicGAF?

Quackula

Off the top of my head, I'd say RKA, the Sonic games, Shinobi III and Vectorman and Castlevania: Bloodlines are some of the standout Genesis platformers. And I enjoy all of those games more than what I've played of DKC so far..

I don't really think Shinobi III, Vectorman, and Castlevania are as directly comparable to DKC. But even then, Vectorman I've never really played much, but I do at least definitely think Shinobi III and Castlevania are better games overall.

I don't really think Shinobi III, Vectorman, and Castlevania are as directly comparable to DKC. But even then, Vectorman I've never really played much, but I do at least definitely think Shinobi III and Castlevania are better games overall.

Yeah, CV and Shinobi might have been stretching it a bit. I think Vectorman is still a fair comparison, though.

I tried as hard as I could to like DK but I just sucked at it; way too reckless. :p

Just got back from being on the radio (it was AWESOME!) and picked up Spec Ops: The Line for me and MGR: Revengeance for my girlfriend on the way home. She's got great taste in games, though it can be pretty limited. But she loves action games and is a big MGS fan, so she's gonna flip when I give it to her tomorrow. :)

Got my finances and check for a vacation I plan to take sometime in the next few months, so I'm feeling pretty great right now.

I really need to pick up Spec Ops. I've heard nothing but great things about the narrative.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, didn't realize that thread was the straw that broke the camel's back. Wow.
Yeah, I don't think he left because of the DKC talk. I think he left just because of what GAF had become (ie: it was something that was building up over time) and I guess the conversation in the thread was just the thing to push him to stop posting here/a way for him to leave anyway.

Otherwise, he was one of the posters whose posts I really liked to read before I signed up for GAF. Kinda bummed he left.

TheOGB said:
Feelin' good, but that's cuz I have the entire week off. I should be writing up summary notes and studying but I'm gonna wait until Thursday to start doing that. I need a few days of not doing work.

I think I'll finish Time Travelers tonight. It's just 10 hours long. I tried playing Ni no Kuni last night but started falling asleep while playing it.

I'm going under some straight up vilification in this thread, I "dug up" that old post once, when going through an old Sonic thread in the search of lost treasure (a post by yours truly that could have been lying in any old Sonic thread), but in my search I instead stumbled across something the opposite of treasure, a curse that would afflict me for the rest of my days, I may have left the thread alive but I part of me died in those ruins.
But that was one time!
Now quit being no fun and alter that CD for the good of your companion!
I jest! sort of

DKC1's status is highly elevated beyond its actual quality, DKC2, Returns, Jungle Beat and DKC3 are all a lot better to me at any rate but when you "know" the stages its pretty fun to just barrel through as it flows a lot faster than most platformers and its own following entries.
When Gaf voted for the best Nintendo games and it outranked every other DK related game I was pretty confused and disappointed.

Noi

If her companion thinks the Persona songs with vocals are awful, then maybe he deserves not having DKC music in the mixtape.

Job interview in a couple hours, then after that a friend who scored two copies of Revengeance is giving his PS3 version to me for free. Which means I can pick up my Gamestop preorder, then return it so I can still keep the DLC code and get another game instead. Everything is coming up Milhouse!

TheOGB

Banned
My girlfriend and I are usually pretty cool with each other's music since there's some overlap in what we like. She doesn't listen to game music, but she's gotten to the point where she's got an appreciation for it.

Ps3:

Turn on console
wait for bootup
put in disc
screen full of logos
opening video
title screen
Press start
opening FMV or whatever
game starts
This is literally happening right now with Revengeance

I JUST WANNA SLICE SOME DUDES

I listen to game music. :<

(Other favorite genres include classical and jazz; in the case of the latter, smooth jazz or whatever the hell Vince Guaraldi's work falls under is best)

Quackula

My girlfriend and I are usually pretty cool with each other's music since there's some overlap in what we like. She doesn't listen to game music, but she's gotten to the point where she's got an appreciation for it.

I have tried in vain to find overlap for us. There pretty much isn't any.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good luck on the job interview, Beef! Think like Piccolo!

Me and my girlfriend have some really polar opposite music tastes.

Neither of us listen to game music.
You don't know it now, but that is a blessing in disguise, my friend.

Noi said:
If her companion thinks the Persona songs with vocals are awful, then maybe he deserves not having DKC music in the mixtape.
My mindset completely. You don't like my Persona music? Have more until you do. We ended up listening to 80s music instead on his request and 90s music on my request towards the end of the trip. Honestly, overall, our music tastes are almost polar opposites, with some overlap but it's almost miniscule.

Nocturnowl said:
I'm going under some straight up vilification in this thread, I "dug up" that old post once, when going through an old Sonic thread in the search of lost treasure (a post by yours truly that could have been lying in any old Sonic thread), but in my search I instead stumbled across something the opposite of treasure, a curse that would afflict me for the rest of my days, I may have left the thread alive but I part of me died in those ruins.
But that was one time!
Now quit being no fun and alter that CD for the good of your companion!
I jest! sort of
Lies, and never! It affected you in some way that it's something you won't ever forget. Perhaps it was more surprising that Sciz and I said what we said. I just know that you probably won't let me off the hook for it. :p

Nocturnowl said:
When Gaf voted for the best Nintendo games and it outranked every other DK related game I was pretty confused and disappointed.
Whaaaa... When was this?

TheOGB

Banned
Job interview in a couple hours, then after that a friend who scored two copies of Revengeance is giving his PS3 version to me for free. Which means I can pick up my Gamestop preorder, then return it so I can still keep the DLC code and get another game instead. Everything is coming up Milhouse!
If they need an extra push, you should show of your doctorate. That'll have 'em eating
beef
out of the palm of your hand.
I'd wash or sanitize them after, if I were you

(Other favorite genres include classical and jazz; in the case of the latter, smooth jazz or whatever the hell Vince Guaraldi's work falls under is best)
No lie, Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic Unleashed made my love and appreciation of jazz and classical music grow a lot.

Nert

*Thumbs up* to all of the people interested in Spec Ops: The Line. I rarely play FPS games and didn't pick up Spec Ops until a winter sale and it ended up being my favorite game from last year. I can't recommend it without any qualifications (if you're a "gameplay is all that matters" kind of person, it's a hard sell), but the game truly makes me excited about the possibilities that video games have as a storytelling medium.

I remember my last three job interviews, I too thought everything was coming up Milhouse....

:(

Lies, and never! It affected you in some way that it's something you won't ever forget. Perhaps it was more surprising that Sciz and I said what we said. I just know that you probably won't let me off the hook for it. :p
It did affect me, I thought we were all united in wonderful VG music but then I was blind sided by these shady dealings between the treacherous two, I didn't want to believe so I raced back to Sonic Gaf only to discover everyone was in on this diabolical scheme and broke me, et tu Schala? and then I died...on the inside.

Okay so maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but I can't let it slide, what if i'd said back last week that I thought Sonic Unleashed had a poopy soundtrack with no melody, would you forgive me? you know you wouldn't, let's not forget that I was placed on the judgement stand for saying that while I liked the soundtrack I thought it had a different feel to it than the more standard Sonic fare, I would be burned at the Nocturne stake if I went beyond that! fortunately such measures need not be taken.
Game Soundtrack GAF is serious business, none of you want to mess with this musical madness, if the thread ever starts up it will be the end of us all.

Whaaaa... When was this?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462147
Turns out it was Top 50 but the tally goes further.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I've tried to get him into jazz, big band, and classical but it won't work. :/

Nah. He has other redeeming qualities. That bit is just one of his flaws. Plus it's fun to annoy him with it!

Curious. Elaborate a bit maybe?
If you both end up liking everything the other person likes, the relationship gets kind of stale and boring. Both of us like game music too, but we like different game music in the end, so it's hard to come up with a compromise in terms of what to listen to in the car, or what game music to listen to while we're doing something in the same room.

Like, he's a huge Sakuraba fanboy. He loves Uematsu's current direction. He likes Bah bah. He loves DKC's music in general. He really likes the overall music direction in Mario. He doesn't like Hamauzu or Sonic music (Sonic Adventure-onwards; even the current stuff) very much. He doesn't like lyrical content in games, period. I like Sonic music a lot. I like Sakuraba in moderation, I'm not much of a huge fan of Uematsu's stuff in general, I like Falcom's stuff, I'm a bit of a Hamauzu fan, you know what I think of bah bah, and bunch of other stuff.

In terms of game music, we're complete polar opposites despite liking the "genre" a lot. This leads to quite a bit of arguments as to what to put on CDs to listen to in the car or something. But I end up learning what he thinks of music I don't usually listen to or listen to why he thinks the music's good, while he learns why I like what I like. Even if he continues to dislike it like the Persona stuff.

He was a Nintendo kid, while I was one of those kids who had both systems but had more leanings to Sega. It's kinda like learning why the Nintendo kids liked Nintendo a lot, while trying to tell people why you liked Sega a lot. You can still come to a compromise, and it makes your game repertoire and knowledge more substantial.

tl;dr version: I just feel like the opposites attract sort of relationship is more interesting than a relationship where you have most things in common. You learn a lot from each other if you have the patience to do so. As for game music, it's evolved to the point of including stuff that sounds like regular pop music or rock music, so you can probably start introducing it little by little if you make mixed CDs or something.

Quackula

Put all those scraping metal/cat orgy sounding tracks from the otherworld segments of Silent Hill onto a CD and blast that in the car.

I'm a metalhead and my girlfriend's into j-pop and stuff. I don't think there's any overlap possible outside of a couple of terrible gimmick bands.

Sciz

I don't even remember what all I've said about DKC1 at this point, though the summary probably reads something like "2D Sonic Heroes".

I'm one of the weird ones that listens to just video game music.

I used to be one of those, but it turns out there really is somewhat more to music than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom