• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your reasons why, but I can't see why one would say it's weird to think that.

SADX takes a janky game and piles on equally janky "upgrades". The original SA1 feels more cohesive and a little bit more polished as a result, even though SADX technically tried to fix some notorious SA1 bugs.

nns3d

Isn't SADX glitchier too? Despite some fixes the original had.

Yeah, but it did try and fix some of the issues. I noticed that in SA1 in Speed Highway that my homing attack always missed the police-robos, i think in DX that's fixed. Also when I played Tails in Speed Highway there were two separate instances where the camera lost track of me and I fell through the floor as a result. Though I think the charm in the DC original comes from its graphics, that charm's lost in DX when they made the models all shiny.

I remember getting Labyrinth alongside Tails Adventures one Christmas. Believe it or not, I actually really enjoyed it! Not entirely sure why, since Sonic is either moving slow as molasses or uncontrollably fast, with nary a speed between. Still, having gotten older, its flaws stand out a lot more, although now I can reason that it's just a very oddly dressed minigolf game - moving around slowly sets up your shots, and spin-dashing is the equivalent of taking a putt. Of course, it's more focused on overall time than number of strokes, but eh...

Tails Adventures held up better over time, at least.

Well, I s-ranked every level in Generations 3DS. Honestly, it's not as bad as my gut reaction to it, and overall I'd say it's a decent portable Sonic. Still pales in comparison to its console brethren, but man, Time Eater is a huge improvement.

I hope Sonic Team takes a whack at the next handheld entry. The Dimps formula (such as their arbitrary 7 levels per game, no Super Sonic etc.) is getting stale.

Rlan

SONIC UNIVERSE #40 PREVIEW

Sonic-Universe-40-0.jpg

Sonic-Universe-40-2.jpg

Sonic-Universe-40-3.jpg

Sonic-Universe-40-4.jpg

Sonic-Universe-40-7.jpg

Sonic-Universe-40-8.jpg

In case there were any "Where is it?" concerns, the Episode II OP will most likely go up Wednesday evening. The week has been busy as hell, just need some time to sit down and get the graphics sorted.

Edit: Chipmunk...? Obviously done for the wordplay (Chipmunkey), and maybe Eggman Just-Does-Not-Care(tm), but the "Get it right!" nerd in me cringes.

Rlan

Edit: Chipmunk...? Obviously done for the wordplay (Chipmunkey), and maybe Eggman Just-Does-Not-Care(tm), but the "Get it right!" nerd in me cringes.

She's always been a chipmunk. Father's a Squirrel (Big Tail), Mother's a Chipmunk (Short Tail). Elias has the Tail, Sally does not.

Seems to be pretty much the case for all the comic related "relationships", where cross species relations results in making baby clones of the couple and keeping their genders the same.

SU8.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, I've started reading the 30 Years Later collection.

It's, uh, interesting. I think. I'll probably finish it off later tonight. So far, though, I think I liked the Shadow saga a little better.

TheOGB

Banned
SEGA Blog did a Q&A with some of the Generations music team. Here's one of the questions, the bolded part being one of my favorite quotes:
If you could work on one more Classic and/or Modern arrangement for any stage from previous games, which one would it be and why?

Jun: I think I’ll choose Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It was my best track when I was a Sonic game player.

Kenichi: I’ll choose Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure. This is a memorable track for me, as it was my first time remixing a track that was not my own. It was a great stage, and would be so fun if this stage was redesigned in the classic style. So I dream about remixing this track for classic and modern, maybe changing the tempo totally.

Tomoya: I’ll choose Sky Babylon Stage’s track in Sonic Rush Adventure. This was made for Nintendo DS, so it was made with a restriction on the number of simultaneous tones and sound quality, so there is leeway for updating. The track is dance track using oriental melody, and I like it personally.

Alex: How can I choose just one!? Some of my favorite Sonic Tunes are from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 though. I guess it would have to be between Oil Ocean, Spring Yard, or Mystic Cave. Those songs are some of the most unique tracks from both those games. They showcase that darker side to Sonic music, which I love. As for modern sonic, I think the song “It Doesn’t Matter” would’ve been very interesting to remix. It’s definitely my favorite song from the Dreamcast era.
Yesssssss, fund it!

Lol @ Kenichi Tokoi getting asked about Classic Planet Wisp sounding like other stages

Started playing S&SASR again today in anticipation for the sequel. Too bad the online's mostly dead. :/

Would be awesome if SA2 on xbl/psn had multi over the internet.

SA2 online would be pretty great. SA2B had a bigger stage selection for the Sonic & Shadow stages, didn't it? I recall Green Forest, Radical Highway and Sky Rail being the only 2 player stages in the DC version.

Emitan

Who needs shortcuts when you play as Amy
and don't tell your friends how to break out of Chaos Control faster
?

Who needs shortcuts when you play as Amy
and don't tell your friends how to break out of Chaos Control faster
?

Well when you get frozen for like 30 seconds or whatever it was and you haven't started mashing buttons in frustration then you probably deserve to be trapped in time.

Started playing S&SASR again today in anticipation for the sequel. Too bad the online's mostly dead. :/

SA2 online would be pretty great. SA2B had a bigger stage selection for the Sonic & Shadow stages, didn't it? I recall Green Forest, Radical Highway and Sky Rail being the only 2 player stages in the DC version.

City escape was added in but only the downhill section with some extended roads, and a grind race through the pyramid.

She's always been a chipmunk. Father's a Squirrel (Big Tail), Mother's a Chipmunk (Short Tail). Elias has the Tail, Sally does not.

Seems to be pretty much the case for all the comic related "relationships", where cross species relations results in making baby clones of the couple and keeping their genders the same.

I don't agree with "always." Archie may have eventually decided she was, but that's not the same thing, and doesn't gel with the fact that most people label her with the more generalized "ground squirrel" label, than specifically chipmunk.

Archie's made other "it's this way now and it always has been" decisions I don't necessarily agree with, so while I don't fault them for sticking with what they eventually decided I suppose, even the earliest series bibles call her a squirrel, not a chipmunk, because she was most likely based off of Ricky from the games.

Rlan

I don't agree with "always." Archie may have eventually decided she was, but that's not the same thing, and doesn't gel with the fact that most people label her with the more generalized "ground squirrel" label, than specifically chipmunk.

Archie's made other "it's this way now and it always has been" decisions I don't necessarily agree with, so while I don't fault them for sticking with what they eventually decided I suppose, even the earliest series bibles call her a squirrel, not a chipmunk, because she was most likely based off of Ricky from the games.

Guess So. But then, she was basically like Chip and Dale (Chipmunks) in terms of Facial features, but with Gadget's Hair and Body style.

Chip_Dale_Rescue_Rangers.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SEGA Blog did a Q&A with some of the Generations music team.

Lol @ Kenichi Tokoi getting asked about Classic Planet Wisp sounding like other stages
lol. Well, it reminded me of Scrap Brain Zone. But now that I think it about it, a "bad future" tone sounds about right.

Thanks for the link. I loved these bits:

Tomoya: If I choose one, it will be Rooftop Run for the Modern stage. Using drum, bass, piano, and guitar as a band sound, as well as adding 12 string section to it made it an expressive track for the action stage.
Hell yes. The string section was wonderful, and made for better balancing in the track overall.

Alex: I personally love Tomoya Ohtani’s classic remixes of Crisis City and Rooftop Run. He added a lot of catchy melodies that aren’t even in the original tunes. I actually like them more than original ones!
This guy has good taste. Actually, Alex comes across as a really nice guy in this interview. He seems quite genuine. His approaches to Sonic 3's Final Boss music and Escape from the City were nice reads.

Jun: Sonic himself is a free-spirited guy, so I try not to limit myself when making music. Instead, I try to make the desired tempo first, and then attach a catchy and memorable phrase to that using edged sounds.
...God, I hope that doesn't amount to using those darn meow synths.

I wonder if he knows we have a community thread now >_>
Probably not.

Or he might want to stay as far away from here as possible. :lol

TheOGB

Banned
HOLY SHIT GUYS THEY'RE HERE.

The madness begins tomorrow.

I am officially on suicide watch.

Edit: still don't have a capture card, so if anything I'll post a shitty phonecam video just voicing my disgust. Hey, maybe I can compile all of them afterwards and make a horror film with it. xP

I was actually thinking about trying to play through Unleashed in it's entirety sometime this weekend. My prior experience with the HD versions boiled down to downloading a completed save and just playing the Daytime stages.

Still not sure if I'm actually going to go through with it, though.

The OT text is complete, I'm just choking on the graphics a little.

With that said, could anyone point me to a high resolution/vector version of the GAF logo? The best one I could find is from Huelen (ironic!), but the download link is invalid.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm probably fine on the GAF logo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't believe Episode 2 comes out next week. Probably because there's no hype or lead-up to it or anything... and likely because the game got leaked. :p

Looking forward to trying a demo.

TheOGB said:
The madness begins tomorrow.

I am officially on suicide watch.

Edit: still don't have a capture card, so if anything I'll post a shitty phonecam video just voicing my disgust. Hey, maybe I can compile all of them afterwards and make a horror film with it. xP
You probably need a bottle of Merlot to go with that madness.

I wish that "FAMILY GAMES" sticker was on Sonic 2006 instead.

Lijik

Seeing the boxart for Sonic 2006 reminds me of how much I love the back of that box.

"THIS TIME...

SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH"

And then it tries to pitch that it has a whopping ten levels to you like thats somehow a super big deal and impressive number in 2006.

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't believe Episode 2 comes out next week. Probably because there's no hype or lead-up to it or anything... and likely because the game got leaked. :p

I didn't play the leaked version so I actually have something to look forward to. (That and I enjoyed the original Sonic 4.)

I don't usually hunt for achievements, but Sonic games I make an exception for. Getting that last achievement in Sonic 4 was difficult.

Seeing the boxart for Sonic 2006 reminds me of how much I love the back of that box.

"THIS TIME...

SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH"

And then it tries to pitch that it has a whopping ten levels to you like thats somehow a super big deal and impressive number in 2006.

Well with expensive HD assets 10 levels is like the bees knees! right?
Speed wont be enough indeed, you'll need to give everything you've got including sanity.

TheOGB

Banned

"THIS TIME...

SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH"

I was cracking up when I read that.

Unfortunately, I'm on tour with my old high school's advanced acting class so I won't get to begin until much later in the day. I figured I'd spend my last day of sanity with old friends.

With this much anticipation doom and gloom beforehand I bet I'll enjoy it much more than I should.

"THIS TIME...

SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH"

In fairness, Unleashed had 9 levels, as did Generations. And Colors had 7.

But they all make up for it with a ton of extra acts and challenges, particularly Colors (with its 66 separate levels).

In fairness, Unleashed had 9 levels, as did Generations. And Colors had 7.

But they all make up for it with a ton of extra acts and challenges, particularly Colors (with its 66 separate levels).
Doesn't 2K6 have some kind of alternative challenges after you clear the stage the first time? I mean, Adventure did, Adventure 2 did... forget if Heroes did (never invested all that much time in it)...

Doesn't 2K6 have some kind of alternative challenges after you clear the stage the first time? I mean, Adventure did, Adventure 2 did... forget if Heroes did (never invested all that much time in it)...

Heroes had one extra challenge for every stage for every team. All I can remember from that was the fact that Sonic's challenges were timed challenges and Chaotix had "get everything in sight" kind of missions.

TheOGB

Banned
Just beat Wave Ocean.

.......PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh god, I didn't realize how much of this game was auto-pilot. I could literally put the controller down for like, half the level.

Mach speed sections. I'm laughing now, but I know I won't be later.

metalfathead

Neo Member
Mach speed sections. I'm laughing now, but I know I won't be later.

A key factor in these is to hold forward while running - it doesn't effect your speed or anything, but it makes the cornering HEAPS easier if you do it this way, and subsequently the mach speed sections become fairly simple in the process.

TheOGB

Banned
Dusty Desert done

Already I can feel my brain failing. That camera--ERROR--these controls--ERROR--a full second to stop running and turn arou--ERROR

This cutscene--THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT BZZT--...........

EDIT: WOW
FUCKING WOW
SILVER JUST ROCKED MY SHIT
WOWWWWWWWWW

Edit 2: Stopped just before White Acropolis. Good lord this game quickly took a turn for the WHY.
Funny story time: Pulled off the flying crate gltich in the warehouse with Tails and Knuckles on it. After a while Tails falls off (or I kicked him off :p) and we're just floating into space, Knuckles and I. We get to the sun and I stop. Nothing happens. I nudge Sonic to the left ever so slightly and suddenly we're both plummeting towards the planet. We land safely without much ado and Tails just flies up next to us as if saying "Oh hi Mark."

The first time I tried that I sent the crate hurtling towards the sea, again with Knuckles and Tails on board, and I jumped off leaving them to drown. This is the most fun I've had with the game yet.

EDIT: WOW
FUCKING WOW
SILVER JUST ROCKED MY SHIT
WOWWWWWWWWW
IT'S NO USE!

Funny story time: Pulled off the flying crate gltich in the warehouse with Tails and Knuckles on it. After a while Tails falls off (or I kicked him off :p) and we're just floating into space, Knuckles and I. We get to the sun and I stop. Nothing happens. I nudge Sonic to the left ever so slightly and suddenly we're both plummeting towards the planet. We land safely without much ado and Tails just flies up next to us as if saying "Oh hi Mark."
"I did not kick him, it's not true, it's BOOLSHIT, I did not kick him, I did naaaaaaaaht. Oh hi Tails."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom