• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I haven't played Sonic Adventure 2 in years, and I've been holding out for a digital HD release of it. Sonic Adventure aged a bit, I however remember Adventure 2 more clearly and I know it has aged better than the first one.

Either way, Chao Karate in HD.

Who's doing the Sonic 4: Ep 2 OT?

Yo. I'm actually of the weird position where I have to decide how much I want to talk about, considering I've seen everything of the game but the final, final boss (that's supposedly not included in the leaked beta) and anything they change or add in the version from at least late March until it launches on about a billion platforms mid-May. Which I doubt will be that much.

Green Scar: There's an OT claiming thread at the top of Community, but I think there has to be some sort of official announcement of the product first.

Kokonoe

Banned
-edit-

I'll let someone handle the OT this time, as mine would be pretty lackluster due to my inexperience with fonts. I will however help gather images.

I made a topic here to request images from EP II that haven't be released yet. So hopefully there are responses.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...4-EP-II-images-of-Sonic-Tails-and-Metal-Sonic

I have this ready which is taken from the official website.

----Story----
The fierce battle from Episode I was only an overture...
What was Dr. Eggman searching for in the Lost Labyrinth?
What was Mad Gear built for?
They were all a mere puzzle piece of a grandiose project schemed by Dr. Eggman.
As Little Planet, where "Sonic CD" took place, approaches Sonic's world once again, Dr. Eggman's whole scheme will be revealed!

----Characters----
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

A few months have passed since the battle from Episode I.
However Sonic's rest comes to an end as Little Planet re-approaches.
Sonic finds out that Dr. Eggman is back in action on the neighboring continent. He sets off on Tornado to investigate the continent with his sidekick, Tails...

MILES "TAILS" PROWER

Sonic's little brother-like sidekick who made the rocket to head to E.G.G Station and was secretly supporting Sonic in Episode I. In Episode II he's back in center stage as an active sidekick who Sonic can rely on. He can fly by rotating his two tails and will assist Sonic with the Combos in Episode II.

METAL SONIC

A worthy opponent who was thought to be destroyed during the battle of Stardust Speedway in "Sonic CD". He was in fact severely damaged, and left alone on Little Planet. Now as the Little Planet re-approaches, and with the close support of Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic is resurrected and back in full force.

DR. EGGMAN

Dr. Eggman's E.G.G Station was destroyed in Episode I. However as Little Planet reapproaches, the grand project set up by Dr. Eggman has now come into its second stage, under a veil of secrecy.

----Enemies----

ZOOMER

A newly developed Kingfisher inspired robot. It usually flies over the water surface, but as it finds Sonic and Tails underwater, it will dart down at them.

STEELION

A newly developed subaquatic Sealtype robot. Its breath can freeze the water around them in an instant, creating obstacles when Sonic needs to look for air bubbles.

SPIKES

A Hermit crab type robot which has been newly developed for cold regions. The spines on its hard shell will repel any attacks done by Sonic alone. There must be another way to defeat it...

FULLBOAR

A Boar type robot newly developed by Dr. Eggman based on his research results from Episode I. They have been created with rich color variation, but Sonic should be extra careful of the formidable red ones that come charging towards him.

OMG Aero

----Story----
The fierce battle from Episode I was only an overture...
What was Dr. Eggman searching for in the Lost Labyrinth?
What was Mad Gear built for?
They were all a mere puzzle piece of a grandiose project schemed by Dr. Eggman.
As Little Planet, where "Sonic CD" took place, approaches Sonic's world once again, Dr. Eggman's whole scheme will be revealed!
Ahahahahaha.
It's really funny that they are trying to give a simple platformer a deep storyline.
I can't wait to hear the story reasons why Sega decided to remake Labyrinth Zone and Metropolis Zone.

That's... not a "deep storyline". In fact, it seems pretty standard 16bit-era fare to me.

Especially considering how the storylines were written in the Japanese Sonic games.

The Japanese storyline for Sonic 3 opens with Sonic and Tails on a beach, and Sonic finds a golden ring with runic markings which causes him to recount a legend he once heard about an ancient civilization on a floating island and the fate that befell it. Tails tells Sonic that he's getting energy readings from out in the middle of the ocean, and thinking the two things are linked, they go investigate.

The story Sonic tells Tails in the Japanese S3 manual manual ends up being the basis for Perfect Chaos in Sonic Adventure.

abasm

Especially considering how the storylines were written in the Japanese Sonic games.

The Japanese storyline for Sonic 3 opens with Sonic and Tails on a beach, and Sonic finds a golden ring with runic markings which causes him to recount a legend he once heard about an ancient civilization on a floating island and the fate that befell it. Tails tells Sonic that he's getting energy readings from out in the middle of the ocean, and thinking the two things are linked, they go investigate.

The story Sonic tells Tails in the Japanese S3 manual manual ends up being the basis for Perfect Chaos in Sonic Adventure.

I...I never knew! That's really fascinating stuff.

I think I liked the "story" better when I knew less, though.

Not to mention, in-game, there's pretty nifty foreshadowing if you're astute enough to pick up on it. I'm sure everyone here and their grandma knows about this by now, but:

Super_Tails_-_Sonic_3_%26_Knuckles_-_Hidden_Palace_Zone.JPG

Doomsday.png

That's really awesome. I never knew!

qq more

Woah. I always assumed Sonic 3's story took place immediately after Sonic 2.

Sciz

Woah. I always assumed Sonic 3's story took place immediately after Sonic 2.

I'm fairly certain there's a break of about a week or so, though I couldn't cite where that's from off the top of my head. Can't be immediate though, Robotnik has entirely too much accomplished on the island already by the time the game starts.

The amusing implication is that in the interim, Sonic's taken to going Super just for kicks.

I can't recall ever reading about Sonic 3's Japanese story, but that doesn't surprise me...the last part does, however.

I also liked(if I'm not mistaken) that the Japanese story for Knuckles Chaotix is related to the events of Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm fairly certain there's a break of about a week or so, though I couldn't cite where that's from off the top of my head. Can't be immediate though, Robotnik has entirely too much accomplished on the island already by the time the game starts.

The amusing implication is that in the interim, Sonic's taken to going Super just for kicks.

Well it makes sense since

1. Death Egg was heavily damaged after Sonic defeated Dr Eggman Robotnik in Sonic 2
2. Dr Eggman Robotnik crash lands on Angel Island and finds out there is a powerful energy source nearby (Master Emerald) but can't pin point it's location.
3. Dr Eggman Robotnik tries to find it by burning a large part of the island And sends out robots but Sonic stops him. Sonic chases him to the repaired Death Egg that crashes moments later in the mountains. (no power source to feed its ion rockets or something like that?)
4. Dr Eggman Robotnik finds the whereabouts of the Master Emerald with his satellite scanning the whole island. Sonic is sadly to late and flushes Eggman Robotnik out.
5. Both Sonic and Eggman Robotnik race to get to the Master Emerald where Eggman Robotnik steals it.
6. Sonic chases after him and turns super at the Death Egg above earths orbit and a mad chase ensues which Eggman Robotnik loses badly (should have kept that Egg-o-Matic from Unleashed when he went back in time. Sonic wouldn't have no change of keeping up with him :p)

So I guess that Robotnik was well prepared after he crash landed on Angel Island. Too bad he lost to Sonic :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yo. I'm actually of the weird position where I have to decide how much I want to talk about, considering I've seen everything of the game but the final, final boss (that's supposedly not included in the leaked beta) and anything they change or add in the version from at least late March until it launches on about a billion platforms mid-May. Which I doubt will be that much.
lol, I didn't think anyone was doing it since no one's really talking about it (outside of the time it was leaked). I think you all were in a similar position with regards to Episode 1 too, since that had been leaked as well (unless Willy didn't spoil the game for himself). I'd probably use whatever's revealed on the website as a template and just go from there.

Oooooh, let's think of OT names. Can't believe this is coming out in just a few weeks.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Yeah, we know you'd rather play Rayman
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| No, they're not ripping off Castlevania
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Something Something Huelen
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Metal Sonic's Revenge (without the Heroes redesign)

(I'm kidding, of course.)

Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| The Power of TWO steps forward and one step back
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Dying ducks amuck
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Don't call it a comeback (seriously)
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| WHY DID EGGMAN BUILD MADGEAR!?
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| Previously on...
Sonic 4: Episode 2 |OT| It can only go up from here!

Not to be a killjoy, but I've got the name already picked out too. It fits a particular gag that shows up later on. So unless I see something I think is beyond amazing in this thread, I'll stick with what I have.

Kokonoe

Banned
Tried playing Generations with it once. I ought to go back and play the modern levels with it
to experience madness

iboJ3dAGhCIt5v.gif

Good idea. Firing up Generations now.

-edit-

This is working surprisingly well to be honest. At least for Generations that is.

TheOGB

Banned
Modern Sonic on an arcade stick worked just fine--until the game froze halfway through Crisis City. First and only time that'd happened. Huh.

So I've got Unleashed and 06 in my Amazon shopping cart, both are $18 and I haven't seen either of them in person for some reason (and didn't/don't feel like checking Gamestop for another reason). Just wondering if this should be in there or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom