• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Developed by iNiS.

I can see it now. Station Square has been invaded by Dr. Eggman once again. The people, frightened, call out for a savior.

"HEEEEAAALP!"

Cut to a room where a stern man w/ different colored eyes views the day's occurrences on a large screen. He swivels around in his chair, and shouts:

"Agents. Are. GO!!"

A motorcycle races onto a scene of chaos as Eggman's robots march on the city. As it slams into the first robot, 3 figures leap off.

Shadow.
Rouge.
Omega.

EPISODE 1
A City in Turmoil!
Get that Mad Doctor!

"3! 2! 1! GO!"

*Team Dark dances to "Work It Out"*
Oh god why do I want this

Oh god why do I want tall Riders Sonic and crew in a Space Channel 5 type game
and Jet Set Radio HD, though that's not creepy

Oh god what's happening to me

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Developed by iNiS.

I can see it now. Station Square has been invaded by Dr. Eggman once again. The people, frightened, call out for a savior.

"HEEEEAAALP!"

Cut to a room where a stern man w/ different colored eyes views the day's occurrences on a large screen. He swivels around in his chair, and shouts:

"Agents. Are. GO!!"

A motorcycle races onto a scene of chaos as Eggman's robots march on the city. As it slams into the first robot, 3 figures leap off.

Shadow.
Rouge.
Omega.

EPISODE 1
A City in Turmoil!
Get that Mad Doctor!

"3! 2! 1! GO!"

*Team Dark dances to "Work It Out"*
8VC7q.jpg

Seriously, though, I would buy several copies of that. Damn, I need a new EBA/Ouendan. Badly. iNiS needs to stop doing Lips and The Black Eyed Peas Experience and start doing more of their Ouendan/EBA and Gitaroo Man stuff again.

From an artist's perspective (whatever that's worth) I enjoy drawing AOSTH Robotnik the most, he's easily the most expressive.
I, for one, like seeing what crazy stuff he'll blow large sums of money on next just to get rid of Sonic. Building an amusement park (two, in fact--one on the ground and one in space), mining for resources, building Mad Gear...

At least AoStH Robotnik's eyes aren't obscured by glasses. Eyes can be expressive too...
[insert Robotnik scouter from Sonic 2006 here]

The only thing I love about Sonic R was the soundtrack

and Sonic SATAM's Robotnik is the best because super-duper-eeeeeevil Jim Cummings voice

TheOGB

Banned
The song that gets me every time is Diamonds in the Sky. Hell, I teared up just typing that.

My cousin looked at me funny :p

qq more

Generations' Radical Highway is a fucking terrible level, why would anyone even think it's remotely good? Crap boring road layout. Extremely slow and tedious moving platforms. Lots of pits. And it dragged on for too long. Hated that level.

Excuse my bluntness, I just really did not like that level and I don't get why they chose it. It wasn't even a great level in SA2 and it certainly wasn't good in Generations 3DS.

TheOGB

Banned
Generations' Radical Highway is a fucking terrible level, why would anyone even think it's remotely good? Crap boring road layout. Extremely slow and tedious moving platforms. Lots of pits. And it dragged on for too long. Hated that level.

Excuse my bluntness, I just really did not like that level and I don't get why they chose it. It wasn't even a great level in SA2 and it certainly wasn't good in Generations 3DS.
Music, bro

Level was indeed shit

Same here.
And me too. Although I tend to turn the lyrics off, as while they're good in a so-bad-they're-good sense, I'd rather just admire the awesome instrumentals.

I swear, I own Sonic R three times over, and covering a wide gamut of possible versions at that; EU PC, US Saturn, JP Gems Collection (GC - because Streets of effing Rage). All three versions, spanning across all three gaming regions. I'm not really making any point with this observation, I just find it amusing.

I thought I was the only one who liked the Generations' versions of Radical Highway. I've heard others say they were awful.
The music is fine but the level is shit. I like (hate) that bit in Classic where you run down a road for like 10 seconds, no rings, enemies, nothing. Just empty road in the middle of the level.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Radical Highway as a level is garbage. Awful shit.

The Dreamcast Era truly suffered in that they didn't seem to know what to do with it, really. At least with the Modern Era, they could take parts of Rush games (Colours DS included) and implement them in Generations.

And Sonic R's soundtrack is wonderful~

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't recall much of Sonic R, I just remember it was rather clunky in terms of controls.

*EDIT*

We're talking Generations? Nevermind. Generations 3DS had some pretty terrible level design.

EuroMIX

When I owned Gems Collection I would play Sonic R as much as probably everyone else played CD or Fighters. I really enjoyed it for some reason.

I love the soundtrack, yes with the lyrics, although Super Sonic Racing is probably my least favourite track in the game.

Sciz

There's nothing inherently wrong with R (nonexistent character balance aside), there just isn't enough of it.

The Dreamcast Era truly suffered in that they didn't seem to know what to do with it, really. At least with the Modern Era, they could take parts of Rush games (Colours DS included) and implement them in Generations.
They sure did. Like how Water Palace Modern has the exact same layout as Water Palace Act 1 in Sonic Rush. It's not as obvious as the classic layouts being lifted from the Genesis games (Mushroom Hill ending with the pre-boss checkpoint is so lulzy), but there it is.

Sciz said:
There's nothing inherently wrong with R (nonexistent character balance aside), there just isn't enough of it.
A while back I was replaying the game and experimenting with the different characters. What's really cool is how the vehicle characters, like Eggman and Amy, can't actually get all of the items!

TheOGB

Banned
When I owned Gems Collection I would play Sonic R as much as probably everyone else played CD or Fighters. I really enjoyed it for some reason.

I love the soundtrack, yes with the lyrics, although Super Sonic Racing is probably my least favourite track in the game.
Man, Sonic the Fighters was fun as hell. Smacking my friend's head flat and getting stomped on made up at least a third of our summer one year.

The other thirds were Sonic Riders and Sonic Heroes.

Pietepiet

I learned to appreciate Radical Highway after clearing its Missions, especially the timed ones. The upper route through the level is pretty fun.

Funnily enough, I can't stand the music for either Classic or Modern. The mix in the Credits Medley is pretty good though.

qq more

The funniest thing in Sonic Generations 3DS is when you see one of the fighter jets or something flew THROUGH a building in Radical Highway. Was I the only one who saw that and laughed? What an oversight.

Tizoc

aNYONE read Sonic Universe 41?
Although slow it was pretty good IMO
Shard is such a bro and I'll give Larry credit for trying to contribute to the team

A while back I was replaying the game and experimenting with the different characters. What's really cool is how the vehicle characters, like Eggman and Amy, can't actually get all of the items!
That's not cool, that's just more reasons to not play as them. As if low top speeds outside of a largely uncontrollable turbo mode, as well as a total inability to jump, weren't enough reasons.

Seriously awful balancing the game has, but the stages were so wide-open and fun to dick around in that I really wish there were more than just five (with one of them, Radiant Emerald, being so comparatively closed as to be the odd man out).

EuroMIX

I think, rather than a dedicated on-foot racing game, it would be better if Sega went in the direction of a multiplayer racing mode like what they did with SA2B. Just give characters their own areas that they excel in (speed, flight, strength, whatever) and structure the levels in such a way that each stands a fighting chance against the other.

SA2B's multiplayer was some of the most fun I've had and I'd really love to see it return in a more refined form.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think, rather than a dedicated on-foot racing game, it would be better if Sega went in the direction of a multiplayer racing mode like what they did with SA2B. Just give characters their own areas that they excel in (speed, flight, strength, whatever) and structure the levels in such a way that each stands a fighting chance against the other.

SA2B's multiplayer was some of the most fun I've had and I'd really love to see it return in a more refined form.

Maybe that possible Sonic Adventure 2 HD remake with online? I wish.

Yeah it's a real shame that they wont add any online mulitplayer in the upcoming HD release. :\

"A shame" is a nicer term than I'd use.

Like, no, c'mon. When you port these old games that only had local multiplayer to XBLA and PSN, you put in internet support. That's the standard now. If you don't do that, that's below standard. I understand it's probably a limitation with the fact games like SA2 were designed to be split screen only, but make it work.

Especially if they really do go down the Sonic Adventure DX path and sell all of the "Battle" content separately, because who the fuck is going to buy skins for a game that only supports local multiplayer?

"A shame" is a nicer term than I'd use.

Like, no, c'mon. When you port these old games that only had local multiplayer to XBLA and PSN, you put in internet support. That's the standard now. If you don't do that, that's below standard. I understand it's probably a limitation with the fact games like SA2 were designed to be split screen only, but make it work.

Especially if they really do go down the Sonic Adventure DX path and sell all of the "Battle" content separately, because who the fuck is going to buy skins for a game that only supports local multiplayer?

I thought we didn't know anything about SA2 HD yet.

qq more

Prepare to be mad.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hm. Hunnid P, the rapper who did all of the Knuckles theme music in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 said he's working with Sega to produce new music.

Sonic Adventure 2 with a remix OST?

Hm. Hunnid P, the rapper who did all of the Knuckles theme music in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 said he's working with Sega to produce new music.

It's finally time for Knuckles' breakout solo 3D adventure: Knuckles the Echidna - Straight Outta Echidnopolis!

Remastered/Remixed music? Huh.

Would be nice if they could somehow release the instrumentals for Knuckles stage themes one of these days. If only... :/

Kokonoe

Banned

Interesting news since I was just referring to Unknown from ME in the Pokemon thread. I'd buy it.

It's finally time for Knuckles' breakout solo 3D adventure: Knuckles the Echidna - Straight Outta Echidnopolis!

Yes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Well I'll be thrilled with whatever comes out of this. I don't think Sega would put that much effort into a remix OST for a re-release, though, would they?

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I'll be thrilled with whatever comes out of this. I don't think Sega would put that much effort into a remix OST for a re-release, though, would they?

Sega + Music, I'd say it's pretty possible. It's the one thing they always get right.
Sonic 4 doesn't count.

ShadiWulf

It lines up with what Iizuka-san said in a generations interview, he said now that he is back in control of Sonic, he makes all the decisions. Generations was compilation title, now we will see what he does when he's got full creative freedom, again.

and when he was in control, he sure loved associated Knuckles with rap music. So even if it's not Sonic Adventure 3, maybe he is bringing back the rap music for Knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom