• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

Can Schala or other JRPG buffs give some impressions of the latest FF XV trailer? I feel like the battle system is getting slower and less interesting every trailer drop.

The graphics tho...

Is it wrong that I'm expecting Schala to nitpick about the stuff she didn't like?

Kart94

Banned
I am watching some videos of paper mario sticker star. There doesn't seem to be much of a story here. Why doesn't Bowser say anything? He was my favorite part in everyone Mario RPG game. that sucks

I fucking give up.

KmtS0Bz.jpg

Village

I think it might come out next year

Maybe its like

Demo
Marketing campaign
e3 blow out
LArge marketing campaign
Release later in the year

BlackJace

I'm telling you, people will do anything to defend the game when it releases, if it turns out to be actually shit. Fans are literally starving for anything on it.

I was insanely hyped when it was still Versus XIII, but each and every day I'm wondering if they'll actually deliver. I want the dark, fast-paced action with shards floating everywhere that I saw in the extremely early trailers. I want the knights still using modern weaponry, I want Noctis to use magic, I want a combat system that encourages chains and mix-ups.

It seems like they've upped the flair to some degree, but it looks so slow now, with Noctis doing auto-bro maneuvers with his partners on screen...I don't really care for scripted stuff like that.

This is clearly a Western approach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like Versus XIII being transformed into XV might lose some of its "uniqueness" when it was first revealed.

I don't know, maybe Nomura not directing might push it in the right direction.

Kart94

Banned
IIRC isn't that the basis for one of the defaults?
EDIT: I think it inspired the Badwagon, but it's not a very faithful conversion.

yeah i guess, but it still isn't the same :( i really want to use that car. it is so cool

edit: Anyway, Sticker Star seems to be more like one of those *where the hell am i supposed to go* type of games where there isn't really that much of a clue where you are supposed to go and what to do* Perhaps Schala can confirm those are indeed the impressions i am getting from the game.*

I do not really have a good feeling about the game. It just seems to be missing everything i loved about paper mario. I did hear something about Miyamoto wanting the story minimized for Dream team as well. From what i read and seen, Dream Team seems to have escaped the fate that Sticker Star fell in *except for the tutorials. i can imagine getting a bit annoyed by those*

OMG Aero

Even if you ignore the common complaints about Sticker Star like the lack of dialogue and exp that essentially makes the battles pointless, it's still a really bad game just for the trial and error boss fights.
Each boss has like one item it is weak to beforehand that you are supposed to know (even though there are no hints to it anywhere until you get in the fight) and if you come to the fight without that item the boss is either impossible to beat and you have to run away and backtrack to get that item, or you scrape victory by the skin of your teeth in a fight that uses all of your stickers and lasts way too long.
And if you do manage to win without using the item the boss is weak to, which would be an achievement or trophy on another platform because it's basically a hard challenge mode of that fight, the game fucking scolds you for it.

Fuck Sticker Star it's a fucking terrible game.

A friend of mine that works at Nintendo got to play both versions of Sonic Boom. He didn't have much to say about the WiiU version...well nothing too negative at least. He said that there's probably a good game buried underneath all the crappy dialogue and "open world BS" and that some will like it and some will hate it because reasons.
W68Ii.png

His 3DS impressions, though...
8KFOvbv.png
He started it off by telling me there's two jump buttons: one for a short hop, and the other for a big jump. And there's no in-between. He mentioned something else about basically having no trajectory when you jump, except when falling, but I was just too shook at that first bit. He said that it was gonna be absolute garbage if it was released as-is, because he honestly couldn't even do basic platforming in the first stage.

Tizoc

Schala are you OK? Post if you're OK.
Don't let FF13 being a top seller on Steam drive you off the edge.

the 3ds one seemed most conceptually sound. but the execution is fucking dreadful.

This is the case with the recent Sonic games: Good ideas, bad execution.

AniHawk

Schala are you OK? Post if you're OK.
Don't let FF13 being a top seller on Steam drive you off the edge.

This is the case with the recent Sonic games: Good ideas, bad execution.

really just sonic lost world. and i guess sonic 4, which i forgot exists, but i've never played it so i don't know. i'd say the handheld versions of the generations/colors kind were both pretty good, with the only sin of generations being that it was over way too quick.

TimmiT

really just sonic lost world. and i guess sonic 4, which i forgot exists, but i've never played it so i don't know. i'd say the handheld versions of the generations/colors kind were both pretty good, with the only sin of generations being that it was over way too quick.

I liked the handheld version of Colors, but iirc Generations 3DS had some pretty mediocre level design. Also letting Classic Sonic have just remade levels for the Mega Drive era, and after that giving him the homing attack was pretty stupid.

TimmiT

I honestly don't remember the game having two jump buttons when playing it at Gamescom. Could be that I just forgot though. Either way, I didn't really have much of a problem with the jumping and stuff. The main problem is more that unless you keep looking at the map, chances are you'll accidentally walk back to the start of the level while exploring for stuff.

Actually, one thing with the controls that I did find dumb is that you can only go fast by either spin dashing or hitting a boost pad. It doesn't make the game bad or anything because it's very different from your usual 2D Sonic game, but it is kinda silly.

Kart94

Banned
lol why would anyone want to make a short hop anyway? This is almost as bad of an idea as Sonic and the Secret Rings upgrades to make the character control better.

lol why would anyone want to make a short hop anyway? This is almost as bad of an idea as Sonic and the Secret Rings upgrades to make the character control better.

Because in Unleashed, Colours, and Generations the short hop was necessary for the player to avoid small obstacles while still maintaining top speed.

Kart94

Banned
Because in Unleashed, Colours, and Generations the short hop was necessary for the player to avoid small obstacles while still maintaining top speed.

ok good point. i was not thinking when i typed that comment. I think i should have said this instead: why would anyone want an extra jump button for a short hop? i mean. press lightly, get a short hop, press a bit harder and get a full jump. Why the need for the short hop jump button?

ShadiWulf

i wonder if iizuka will be drunk this time. apparently on the last Sonic Toon stream he was super drunk and angry. Guess he hates the game that much? lol

"from livestream

Boozing Iizuka and the game is Sonic Toon in Japan.

Iizuka is now shadow boxing.

Oh man Iizukas face when the trailer ended..."

"Good face or bad face?"

"Bad face, and lol everybody clapped the demo except Iizuka.

Suddenly ASRT!

More Beer!

Iizuka drinking more beer.
"

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/18483-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-wii-u/page-118#entry902162

Sonic Boom stream on SEGA TGS stream starts in about 1 hour and 12 minutes. from now.

is the reason i bring this up. lol

Top Bottom