• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

ShadiWulf

stream ended, here is the most notable part

iizuka-san looks like he wants to destroy Sonic Boom, what an extreme emotion display

rgjpz07.jpg

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/513524143896412162

poor guy

RobbieNick

I played Sonic Boom 3DS at Gamestop Expo and there was definitely not two jump buttons.The jumps are a little floaty AKA LittleBigPlanet (but not as bad). Other wise the game worked fine.

RobbieNick

Wii U version of Lost World had two jump buttons. One that didn't result in using homing attack when pressed a second time and one that did

Rikkun

I don't remember SLW having two jump buttons, but I don't want to go back and check so I'll trust you guys.

I mean, even Super Mario World has two buttons to jump, and one jump doesn't go that high but destroys some harder enemies.
Problem is, the game never required you to use the A button to "spinjump", and I'm sure this will end so badly for Boom 3DS.

Falk

that puzzling face
What are you guys smoking, Sonic 1 had three jump buttons.

they all did the same thing

don't hurt me

Kart94

Banned
i noticed that Sonic and Sega games on the GBA had THQ's logo on them. Can anyone tell me why is that? was there a deal between the two companies? maybe Blaze could explain.

Pretty sure there was a deal because I think THQ was big in the handheld market at the time and could spare a few duds if the portable Sonic games weren't successful. Sega I would assume, just having become third party, wanted to keep it safe. THQ was better off than Sega at the time, I believe.

I also have no clue and am just making wild assumptions.

THQ did a lot of GBA releases around that time. As I recall, some of the THQ releases were actually really cheap, too - when they'd bring Japanese games over to the states, sometimes they would release a less expensive version with the SRAM battery removed and a password function put in its place.

I don't think any of the Sonic Advance games had that happen to them, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can Schala or other JRPG buffs give some impressions of the latest FF XV trailer? I feel like the battle system is getting slower and less interesting every trailer drop.

The graphics tho...
You don't want to know what I thought about that trailer. Everything from yesterday is just schadenfreude to me so I went to bed laughing last night after reviewing some info and reactions.

Is it wrong that I'm expecting Schala to nitpick about the stuff she didn't like?
It's not nitpicking. It's actually really annoying whenever people say that to me.

I'm sorry that I can't fellate every game I play or that's in production. I'm not easy like that.

edit: Anyway, Sticker Star seems to be more like one of those *where the hell am i supposed to go* type of games where there isn't really that much of a clue where you are supposed to go and what to do* Perhaps Schala can confirm those are indeed the impressions i am getting from the game.*
Not really. The game's pretty straightforward like a lot of the Mario RPGs because they're typically more designed to cater to a larger audience including children. In that way, they generally have more direction. Other than that, the game itself is sub-par for reasons I've previously stated and for what others said in the thread.

Just talk to every NPC you come across like you would any other RPG to get an idea of what you should do. It's truly later on in the game with the final boss fight where the game feels directionless.

the 3ds one seemed most conceptually sound. but the execution is fucking dreadful.
This just makes me want to bargain bin it on Boxing Day at this rate. I would've gotten the 3DS version a little earlier, but nah. Not at this rate. It's a bit of a shame because that seemed like the better product but I guess I should probably wait on it.

stream ended, here is the most notable part

iizuka-san looks like he wants to destroy Sonic Boom, what an extreme emotion display

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/513524143896412162

poor guy
OMG. I've missed our chronicles of Lord Iizuka-sama sooooo much.

FubY5Jx.gif
Iizuka-sama, pls deliver us from evil.
G2AAIlo.gif

Kart94

Banned
You don't want to know what I thought about that trailer. Everything from yesterday is just schadenfreude to me so I went to bed laughing last night after reviewing some info and reactions.

It's not nitpicking. It's actually really annoying whenever people say that to me.

I'm sorry that I can't fellate every game I play or that's in production. I'm not easy like that.

Not really. The game's pretty straightforward like a lot of the Mario RPGs because they're typically more designed to cater to a larger audience including children. In that way, they generally have more direction. Other than that, the game itself is sub-par for reasons I've previously stated and for what others said in the thread.

Just talk to every NPC you come across like you would any other RPG to get an idea of what you should do. It's truly later on in the game with the final boss fight where the game feels directionless.

This just makes me want to bargain bin it on Boxing Day at this rate. I would've gotten the 3DS version a little earlier, but nah. Not at this rate. It's a bit of a shame because that seemed like the better product but I guess I should probably wait on it.

OMG. I've missed our chronicles of Lord Iizuka-sama sooooo much.

FubY5Jx.gif
Iizuka-sama, pls deliver us from evil.
G2AAIlo.gif

i was thinking more in how to find a certain sticker and stuff. One of the complaints that i keep hearing about the game is that it doesn't explain anything and it can be cryptic to find the sticker you are supposed to be looking for.

anywho i am just weirded out that Bowser doesn't seem to talk at all. He usually is the one with the best lines in the RPG games. This game seems to have a story on par with New Super Mario Bros.

speaking of New Super Mario Bros, i feel that the series has gotten stale and not so "New". I am getting sick of seeing the Koopalings.

Tizoc

Man FF4 on Steam may not be the best port ever but the gameplay and music wins me over. Can't believe I miss this style of jRPG and Final Fantasy...

AniHawk

playing through bravely default and it's not sweeping me off my feet or anything, but i'm glad it exists. i'm glad it exists and that it came from square enix. i wish square enix would try and make more games like this. i wish they'd try and do so with the final fantasy name too. i have this feeling that it'll be 2020 when final fantasy xvi comes out and it'll be yet another nomura 90s-kewl thing.

Feebastic

Are people saying FFIV is trash referring to the game with Cecil, Kain etc? That game is godlike on DS at least, dunno about other systems.

"You spoony bard!"

Anth0ny

Video game pet peeve: when you keep dying to the same boss and you're forced to rewatch the same, unskippable 6 minute cutscene OVER AND OVER

Pet peeve #2: when you give up on the boss, decide to take 10 minutes to sail to an island and get health because three hearts ain't cutting it, then return to fight the boss and fucking demolish him, only losing one heart

YOU SUCK PHANTOM HOURGLASS

But really, just finished Phantom Hourglass. I have quite a bit to say about it, so I might just post a lttp thread. Or post it here. Haven't decided yet.

Kart94

Banned
Video game pet peeve: when you keep dying to the same boss and you're forced to rewatch the same, unskippable 6 minute cutscene OVER AND OVER

Sounds like my experience with Paper Mario a thousand year door when fighting Shadow Queen probably a dozen times. Also please do tell about Phantom Hourglass here.

Phantom Hourglass was such a poorly-designed Zelda game that it put me off Zelda for a good while, skipping Spirit Tracks entirely. After the horrible mechanics for guiding the boat around the overworld, I was thoroughly uninterested in doing anything less than run around an overworld on foot, so seeing an on-rails train be the means of getting around from area to area didn't fill me with enough enthusiasm to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

I do mean it, the boat mechanics were a substantial downgrade from Wind Waker's. I enjoy Wind Waker's boat-sailing to a degree, you always feel like you're in total control of everything that's happening. Not so with Phantom Hourglass, where you blindly draw your intended path in advance and pray nothing comes to intercept it, lest you be forced to hastily blindly draw up a new path. In the interim, rail shooting! One of my least favorite genres! You can adjust your speed, I suppose, but I never felt like I could account for everything the game was throwing at me.

Not that I was thoroughly impressed with the game outside of the boat-sailing, either. The islands were even smaller than Wind Waker's, the music for the overworld was thoroughly unmemorable (this is what you hear outside of towns; three chords, wow), I was annoyed that the only way to kill a Pol's Voice that I had on hand was to speak into the DS and get odd stares from everyone around me as to why I'd so abruptly start talking to an inanimate object (I know that's how it worked in the Famicom version of Zelda, but it still sucks), and that dungeon where you have to do forced timed stealth segments against invincible enemies was annoying as hell, especially since you're forced to return to it repeatedly throughout the entire game.

I will give it credit for a few things, though: the controls worked for being forcibly touch-only (even though they really didn't need to be touch-only, Zelda's worked fine with the D-Pad in the past) and the art direction was quite good, especially given the DS hardware being worked with.

I am so glad they decided to go back to a formula I enjoy with the 3DS games. If portable Zelda was to be like Phantom Hourglass from then on, I'd probably have never bothered with portable Zelda again. I really hope it'll be more like either Ocarina of Time 3D or A Link Between Worlds from here on...

Kart94

Banned
meh honestly i am not really too interested in Zelda games all that much. *though i might give it a try someday. what game is good for beginners*

AniHawk

meh honestly i am not really too interested in Zelda games all that much. *though i might give it a try someday. what game is good for beginners*

link's awakening is sort of the best 2d game in the series. although a link between worlds may be more accessible.

but seriously just do link's awakening dx and get it from the eshop.

link's awakening is sort of the best 2d game in the series. although a link between worlds may be more accessible.

I second this. It was my first proper Zelda, so I'd like to think it'd work fine as an introduction to the series as a whole.

TheOGB

Banned
Link's Awakening -> Link to the Past -> Link Between Worlds. That's the sequence I did.
Minish Cap was my first though

Anth0ny

Still working on PH impressions, but I have to vent for a minute.

I'm playing The Last Story for Wii and I don't think I've ever played a game with more cutscenes in my entire life. I'm at chapter 11, and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 50 cutscenes already. While you can skip some of the longer cutscenes, the shorter ones only let you fast-forward. It's getting unbearable, and while I hope there are less as the game goes on, I get the feeling it's only going to get worse.

It's a shame *cutscene* too, because I'm actually *cutscene* enjoying the core *cutscene* gameplay, but it feels like there's *cutscene* a another cutscene *cutscene* after every other fight in this game.

Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Both available for cheap on Virtual Console.

Go. Go now.

Kart94

Banned
Still working on PH impressions, but I have to vent for a minute.

I'm playing The Last Story for Wii and I don't think I've ever played a game with more cutscenes in my entire life. I'm at chapter 11, and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 50 cutscenes already. While you can skip some of the longer cutscenes, the shorter ones only let you fast-forward. It's getting unbearable, and while I hope there are less as the game goes on, I get the feeling it's only going to get worse.

It's a shame *cutscene* too, because I'm actually *cutscene* enjoying the core *cutscene* gameplay, but it feels like there's *cutscene* a another cutscene *cutscene* after every other fight in this game.

Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Both available for cheap on Virtual Console.

Go. Go now.

I can agree on the cutscene sentiment. I too get annoyed with games with overly large amount of cutscenes and ones with huge as cutscenes. *maybe that is probably why i am hesitant on trying out the metal gear solid games espically 4*

as for Ocarina of time, i have heard the 3DS verison is much better than the original one.

Tizoc

I missed out on it being on sale on EU eShop some weeks ago =/

AniHawk

Pet peeve #2: when you give up on the boss, decide to take 10 minutes to sail to an island and get health because three hearts ain't cutting it, then return to fight the boss and fucking demolish him, only losing one heart

YOU SUCK PHANTOM HOURGLASS

But really, just finished Phantom Hourglass. I have quite a bit to say about it, so I might just post a lttp thread. Or post it here. Haven't decided yet.

phantom hourglass is so shit. outside of the dungeons, which are not plentiful and are short (but kind of okay?), it's one of the three games in the proper series that's actively bad, especially comparing it to the wind waker, which is already the worst of the 3d zeldas.

-limits overworld movement even more: remember that part in the wind waker where you had to change the direction of the wind to go anywhere? let's limit that more
-turns tetra into a fucking damsel in distress: at this point in time, tetra was easily the best version of zelda and she literally says 'help me save me' early on as she's captured. we later learned this happens because the person who did the story on phantom hourglass didn't like tetra. i'm not joking about that. fuck you, rick berman.
-repeating dungeon: so this isn't a bad idea in and of itself, but there's so very little done with it. unlike skyward sword where the level design actually changes upon revisits and new objectives, this basically gives you a green light to move oh so slightly faster through segment.

and at the end of it, the whole thing never actually mattered.

spirit tracks had an offensively bad overworld, and i mean the worst in the series by far, but at least the dungeons were fucking rad, zelda was cool, and the repeating dungeon was a lot of fun. i feel bad for it that phantom hourglass makes people lump the two together because spirit tracks is not a bad game, or even a bad zelda game.

Top Bottom