• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

The controls were fantastic though, unlike the games.

"Fantastic" is a bit of a stretch.

Stylus control in the DS Zelda games did not get in the way but at no point did I feel like the game was intrinsically better because it had them.

It was just different. Different is not necessarily better. It's just... different.

I would have enjoyed Spirit Tracks the exact same amount with traditional controls. And, ultimately, I wish it would've had traditional controls, if only because there is no significant benefit to stylus controls and therefore no need to go through the adjustment period of using them.

Kart94

Banned
so those two zelda games is almost entirely touch screen controlled? that sounds lame.

Speakin of lame, i encountered a video of this game while checking out some games on youtube that people said were underrated on the N64 thread i just made. *Should i continue with my underrated "insert system here" games?* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVzpxJI9hw

Anth0ny

so those two zelda games is almost entirely touch screen controlled? that sounds lame.

not "almost" entirely. Entirely.

Looks like it's going to be a lttp thread. Just cracked 2000 words on my impressions. Would have been done by now but homework sucks.

Out of nostalgia's sake, I decided to look for the time we all got Schala to play the Big Boo Mansion level in Mario 64 at night with no lights on so we could get her scared by the piano (CLASSIC lol). While I was searching for it, I found this post of mine where I posted my favorite games from each system.

Still holds up mighty well.

Out of nostalgia's sake, I decided to look for the time we all got Schala to play the Big Boo Mansion level in Mario 64 at night with no lights on so we could get her scared by the piano (CLASSIC lol). While I was searching for it, I found this post of mine where I posted my favorite games from each system.

Still holds up mighty well.

The Wii and 3DS picks
laughing.gif

Village

werehog instantaneously makes the cover bad

So I decided to to focus on school and kinda forget about sanic and video games in general for a bit, I miss a disappointed Iizuka, two jump buttons, some scans no one bothered to translate, and ken penders releasing drawings from his cave.

Apparently, my priorities are messed up.

Village

Despising Big is a sign of soullessness to begin with.

One that isn't tails, there are people out there that hate tails. Why would hate him, he's the coolest.

Two maybe despise is a strong word for big, I have disdain for him though I can laugh at him. I do not like the werehog at all, and it should go away forever and never come back ever. Unless its a holloween special and everyone becomes monsters. Than he can stick around for like 5 minutes,

TimmiT

Legit shocked they haven't announced a PS4 Sanic yet

I'm guessing it'll come in early 2015, after Sonic Boomba

Big Sonic games always seem to come out in October/November, I wouldn't expect it to be announced until sometime during the first half of next year unless something leaks.

so uh

Endless Possibility is pretty much a staple song in VGO repertoire now

what have i done lol

You've done exactly what you should have done.

Anth0ny

Big Sonic games always seem to come out in October/November, I wouldn't expect it to be announced until sometime during the first half of next year unless something leaks.

Yeah, announcement early next year, release in October or November, on or around the same day some AAA behemoth is released.

I wonder how long they'll go with these November releases until they realize Sonic can't hang with the big boys anymore. Sonic should be an August or September release =/

I think Sonic Boom is the last in their trio of Wii U Exclusive Sonic games arranged with Nintendo. If they promoted a new one on a rival console before everything was out, it might piss off Big N.

OMG Aero

They have to wait until Sonic Boom comes out and is a failure before they can announce a new Sonic game using the normal designs otherwise everyone will get confused.

TimmiT

They have to wait until Sonic Boom comes out and is a failure before they can announce a new Sonic game using the normal designs otherwise everyone will get confused.

Well, Sonic Boom is meant to be a seperate spin-off franchise from the main series. We're getting a new normal Sonic game from Sonic Team regardless of if Sonic Boom is a failure or not.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, screw Generations. I want another Unleashed. Or more accurately, a story that was both coherent, dark yet humorous in at least reasonable balance, with so-called 3D Sonic boost-2-win gameplay

I don't care if people bitch about necessary padding. Unleashed Day stages were probably a magic formula that we stumbled on by accident which will never naturally occur ever again. (I'd be happy to be proven wrong)

TimmiT

You know, screw Generations. I want another Unleashed. Or more accurately, a story that was both coherent, dark yet humorous in at least reasonable balance, with so-called 3D Sonic boost-2-win gameplay

I don't care if people bitch about necessary padding. Unleashed Day stages were probably a magic formula that we stumbled on by accident which will never naturally occur ever again. (I'd be happy to be proven wrong)

I would like to see a new Sonic game that has a story like in Unleashed. I feel like that out of all Sonic games, Unleashed did story best. It knows when to be serious and when to be light hearted, unlike pretty much every other Sonic game that takes story seriously where they just go completely into either of those two directions.

Feebastic

I always look to Sonic spinoffs for better story than the mainline games. I think Sonic Battle was great, and the same with Sonic Chronicles (which is the best Paper Mario game since TTYD).

Kart94

Banned
You know, i think the 3ds verison of Smash Bros 4 is getting too much hate. Sometimes it doesn't seem like anyone wants the 3DS verison to exist for arbitary reasons. The only negative thing i could think of is Ice Climbers not being in Smash 4 because of it and i could care less about them.

Anth0ny

I don't need or want huge amounts of story in my Sanic games. Voice acting is not necessary. Dialogue is not necessary. Sonic 2 and 3 did story perfectly. Knuckles stealing your emeralds and laughing at your ass while Michael Jackson music plays is the most effective storytelling in the franchise.

Sonic Generations 2 for 2016. 60 fps.

Falk

that puzzling face
At this point Sonic is probably best told the way Link is.

You have recurring characters and themes, but the connection between the games are very, very loosely implied as best. It's like each game was a stylized retelling of the same lore.

You have recurring characters and themes, but the connection between the games are very, very loosely implied as best. It's like each game was a stylized retelling of the same lore.

Sonic needs its Majora's Mask, I agree.

I always look to Sonic spinoffs for better story than the mainline games. I think Sonic Battle was great, and the same with Sonic Chronicles (which is the best Paper Mario game since TTYD).
Damning with faint praise, now lets be fair, Chronicles and the Paper Mario sequels from TTYD onwards are all just as underwhelming as each other.

You know, i think the 3ds verison of Smash Bros 4 is getting too much hate. Sometimes it doesn't seem like anyone wants the 3DS verison to exist for arbitary reasons. The only negative thing i could think of is Ice Climbers not being in Smash 4 because of it and i could care less about them.
I'm fine that it exists, it's great that it does.
But I will say balls to that version parity mumbo jumbo, 3DS version already looks lesser at the moment with that weak as piddle stage selection among numerous other things, I don't think the Wii U version should have to cut a presumably finished or at least mostly built character because 3DS owners may feel left out or whatever the reason is.
That said I don't care for the climbers either and prefer characters to not have transformations so I guess the limitations dilemma went as well as it could in some respects.

Sonic needs its Majora's Mask, I agree.
In a way Sonic CD is something of a Majora's Mask for Sonic, you've got time travel, it's got some trippy environments, it's like a half sequel of Sonic 1 like MM is to OoT, both protagonists have someone stolen from them very early in the game and somehow I'm going to relate little planet to the moon because they're like spherical and shit.
SEE IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE.
Except Majora's Mask is great while Sonic CD is Sonic CD.

At the same time, I kind of love how the comics manage to tie everything together and make it all somehow work. Plus it's generally easier to have some sort of investment in characters and worlds when there's some consistency between stories. Especially when Sonic games are like 5 hours long nowadays.

OMG Aero

The most baffling thing for me about people getting mad about Smash Bros 3DS is learning that people apparently care about Ice Climbers.

Falk

that puzzling face
At the same time, I kind of love how the comics manage to tie everything together and make it all somehow work. Plus it's generally easier to have some sort of investment in characters and worlds when there's some consistency between stories. Especially when Sonic games are like 5 hours long nowadays.

god damnit work with me here it's the only way hedgehog the sonic game will happen

Sciz

Flynn is having an absolutely illegal amount of fun tying twenty-odd years of scattershot material into a single coherent world, both in post-reboot Sonic and in Mega Man. It reminds me a lot of the old Mario choose your own adventure books that managed to take three to four games' worth of plot-free, personality-free platformer material and meld it all into surprisingly witty and grounded narratives.

TimmiT

And this is where I say again that Ian Flynn should write the Sonic games cause he's just far better than any of the Sonic game writers so far.

I... think this is what 2006 was meant to be, at least initially.

The way all the townspeople specifically refer to him as "The Blue Wind of Soleanna".

Top Bottom