• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

WillyFive

The Sonic Advance trilogy has the best in-game 2D animations of the series, I think.
sonic_gif____sonic_advance_by_recastanho-d7mnd84.gif

I still think it's a shame there hasn't been a proper handheld Sonic in a while (i.e. an original title that isn't based on or tied into an accompanying home console game). Weren't the last two Rush Adventure and Rivals 2?

The Advance series was so good. Those sprites still hold up well, such good memories!

WillyFive

I still think it's a shame there hasn't been a proper handheld Sonic in a while (i.e. an original title that isn't based on or tied into an accompanying home console game). Weren't the last two Rush Adventure and Rivals 2?

The Advance series was so good. Those sprites still hold up well, such good memories!

There's been Sonic Dash, Dash 2, and Runners.

Falk

that puzzling face
With that comes the stark realization that at some point I will be too old to platinum action games anymore but still too young to pass away peacefully.

Life is suffering.

Anth0ny

Sprite talk?

Sonic Battle has the best sprite work period. I love Chaos 0 animations :)

I'm so sad that sprites are more or less dead for the sanic franchise

Imagine a 2D platformer that looked like Battle. Or better?

only animations that have come close to the charm of sprite based sanic is from generations:

sonic04.gif

idf0XWLcM.gif

<3

Falk

that puzzling face
Problem with 3D isn't the medium, it's that extremely shitty animation work will still turn out a product.

In 2D if you can't draw frames you're essentially done.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm so sad that sprites are more or less dead for the sanic franchise

Imagine a 2D platformer that looked like Battle. Or better?

only animations that have come close to the charm of sprite based sanic is from generations:

sonic04.gif

idf0XWLcM.gif

<3

Yeah man I agree. I don't think we'll get that back ever, even with the sterile yet servicable mobile games.

I am also partial to the sprites from these:

I think it was a Sonic Screensaver? I never had it but when I saw these back on some other fan sites I loved them immediately lol.

I think it was a Sonic Screensaver? I never had it but when I saw these back on some other fan sites I loved them immediately lol.
It is. I have it.

Mostly because it came bundled with S&K Collection on PC, which I only own because Dad, on a business trip to America during my family's three-year stay in England, misinterpreted my request to get Sonic 3D for the Genesis while he was over there as "Sonic 3". I can't say as I'm complaining, even though I already had the Genesis versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, it was still a pretty good port.

J@hranimo

Banned
It is. I have it.

Mostly because it came bundled with S&K Collection on PC, which I only own because Dad, on a business trip to America during my family's three-year stay in England, misinterpreted my request to get Sonic 3D for the Genesis while he was over there as "Sonic 3". I can't say as I'm complaining, even though I already had the Genesis versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, it was still a pretty good port.

Wow I actually used to have the S&K Collection several years ago as a kid. I played through it constantly and thought it was great until I learned what MIDI was...I do remember the back of the jewel case talking about a screensaver but 11 year old me had no idea how to work that.

I just hate how lanky Sonic has become over the years.

I actually have no problem with his model in Unleashed/Colors/Generations/Lost World. It's Boom Sonic that is disgusting in all aspects lol.

Surta

Wow I actually used to have the S&K Collection several years ago as a kid. I played through it constantly and thought it was great until I learned what MIDI was...
I too bought the S&K Collection with screensaver back in the day. It still runs fine (the game that is, I don't know about the screensaver). Did you know that there's a way now to play the game with the original Genesis music (no MIDI), and customize all tracks?

I actually have no problem with his model in Unleashed/Colors/Generations/Lost World.
Same here.
Incidentally, I just played a bit of Lost World for the first time ever. Not bad so far.

Cody_D165

Banned
so I attended Youmacon in Detroit MI this past weekend and was able to see Crush 40 perform live... Absolutely incredible. I was able to meet Jun Senoue and got my childhood copy of SA2B signed by the man himself. Cross that one off the bucket list.

TheOGB

Banned
I have fond memories playing through the S&K Collection with my friend back in the day. And memories of being terrified of Sonic CD bad futures. And that boss music.

so I attended Youmacon in Detroit MI this past weekend and was able to see Crush 40 perform live... Absolutely incredible. I was able to meet Jun Senoue and got my childhood copy of SA2B signed by the man himself. Cross that one off the bucket list.
Wow, that's really cool

TheOGB

Banned
I had S&K Collection in a triple pack that came with Sonic R and Sonic CD. Good times.
Had that same one. And I think there was one with 3D Blast that I wanted, but I ended up getting that through Wild Tangent

Fucking Wild Tangent, man. Shit had Rollercoaster Tycoon and Polar Bowler. Good lord.

Only thing I remember about WildTangent was that they had this level editor that I spent hours with, despite not having a single game that actually used it.

Honestly, I think I was more prolific with that thing than I am some level editors for actual games. (Except Doom. I'm far more prolific with DoomBuilder than practically anything else.)

Sami+

Going back to the sprite/character design discussion, I really like Sonic's look in After the Sequel.

tumblr_n2uie1Q0pf1tr9agno1_500.gif

I wish the peel-out had the infinity feet though, I always thought that looked awesome.

J@hranimo

Banned
I too bought the S&K Collection with screensaver back in the day. It still runs fine (the game that is, I don't know about the screensaver). Did you know that there's a way now to play the game with the original Genesis music (no MIDI), and customize all tracks?

:O Really?

Now I wish I hadn't given it to an old friend of mine, I never got it back.

^ Perfect model. I should really get to playing those.

Same. I still listen to Sonic: ATS' Soundtrack regularly. It's so good.

Yeah man I agree. I don't think we'll get that back ever, even with the sterile yet servicable mobile games.

I see gifs from this screensaver around the internet from time to time. Mainly this one:
awesonic.gif

It's a nice art style for Sonic and I really like the way he looks, the animation itself could be a little smoother though but it's a screensaver so I can't complain.

The Sonic Advance trilogy has the best in-game 2D animations of the series, I think.
sonic_gif____sonic_advance_by_recastanho-d7mnd84.gif

I love the animations of the Advance series so much, they did such an amazing job with them and it actually makes me want to play through the series again haha, they were all really solid titles.

tumblr_mngv5dHQh21st1pw0o1_500.gif

^ Perfect model. I should really get to playing those.

Same here, I hear tons of praise about these two games and I haven't even gotten around to playing either one. Which is kind of sad, because I love Sonic 2 and it would be so cool to have some headcanon to squeeze in between and after it. I just need to actually get to downloading and playing it.

If we're talking about good Sonic animation, the cutscenes for Sonic CD were incredible and I never get sick of watching them. Maybe they aren't in-game animations, but I feel like cutscenes is another strong suit for Sonic (The intro for Unleashed too, aww yes)

sonic-cd1.gif

Anth0ny

If we're talking about good Sonic animation, the cutscenes for Sonic CD were incredible and I never get sick of watching them. Maybe they aren't in-game animations, but I feel like cutscenes is another strong suit for Sonic (The intro for Unleashed too, aww yes)

sonic-cd1.gif

That's what I love about Classic Sonic in Generations. He's like the perfect, 3D model realization of Sonic CD cutscene Sonic.

bring him baaaaaaaaaaack

That's what I love about Classic Sonic in Generations. He's like the perfect, 3D model realization of Sonic CD cutscene Sonic.

bring him baaaaaaaaaaack

I remember that Classic Sonic is going to be used as a part of the celebration for the 25th anniversary, so it's completely possible for him to come back.

Falk

that puzzling face
Same here, I hear tons of praise about these two games and I haven't even gotten around to playing either one. Which is kind of sad, because I love Sonic 2 and it would be so cool to have some headcanon to squeeze in between and after it. I just need to actually get to downloading and playing it.

As much as I love BTS (ehehehehehe) you have to be somewhat of a diehard fan to make it past the first few zones. The level design for those are okay, but a little off-kilter compared to the classic trilogy. Especially when compared to ATS or Chrono Adventure, despite Chrono Adventure not actually following the usual zone/act format.

Village

The molder of childhoods.

Falk

that puzzling face
So, I was toying around with the idea of releasing <REDACTED> music 16% slower for April Fools and labelling it "PAL Version".

Holy cow this is so lethargic, how did we live with this for Sonic 1 etc.

Top Bottom