• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

the 16 bit war is still alive and well

seems like there are still plenty of mario fans out there that HATE sonic for some reason. I see less hostility on the sonic side.

I don't know, I've seen a lot of Sonic fans imply Mario doesn't deserve the reputation he had either. Mario fans are everywhere though, so I guess you hear more from them.

Sami+

I'm not gonna lie

Mario on the NES I totally get as being hugely innovative and pioneering both the genre and to a lesser extent a lot of traditional 2D game design conventions, and I respect it for that.

Mario 64, same thing. I totally get it.

Mario Galaxy- not really super innovative, but very inventive in its own right and a bona fide return to form for the genre. Again, I get it.

But man Mario on the SNES I really don't see as anything more than just "more Mario" and I honestly think every single Genesis Sonic is a hell of a lot more advanced in numerous ways, with Sonic 3 & Knuckles in particular pushing more boundaries for what an ambitious, top of the line platformer could be better than Mario ever did in the 16 bit era.

I guess I'm biased? I mean shit, if we're directly comparing the two franchises and their influence it's pretty much fact that Mario destroys Sonic in every single generation other than the fourth, but I don't think a retrospective comparison between arguably the two most important franchises in gaming at that time is a worthless discussion to have, and I definitely feel Sonic did a lot more to innovate in an era where Mario more or less just iterated on what was already there.

Anth0ny

I'm not gonna lie

Mario on the NES I totally get as being hugely innovative and pioneering both the genre and to a lesser extent a lot of traditional 2D game design conventions, and I respect it for that.

Mario 64, same thing. I totally get it.

Mario Galaxy- not really super innovative, but very inventive in its own right and a bona fide return to form for the genre. Again, I get it.

But man Mario on the SNES I really don't see as anything more than just "more Mario" and I honestly think every single Genesis Sonic is a hell of a lot more advanced in numerous ways, with Sonic 3 & Knuckles in particular pushing more boundaries for what an ambitious, top of the line platformer could be better than Mario ever did in the 16 bit era.

I guess I'm biased? I mean shit, if we're directly comparing the two franchises and their influence it's pretty much fact that Mario destroys Sonic in every single generation other than the fourth, but I don't think a retrospective comparison between arguably the two most important franchises in gaming at that time is a worthless discussion to have, and I definitely feel Sonic did a lot more to innovate in an era where Mario more or less just iterated on what was already there.

Mario 3 was just a waaaaaaaaay better Mario 1.

And then Mario World was a waaaaaaay better Mario 3.

Being revolutionary helps, but if the sequels are bigger and better in every way imaginable, those are the games people love and remember the most.

"More Mario" is definitely underselling Mario 3 and World. Super Mario 2j is "more Mario". Mario 3 and World are fucking masterpieces that push the 2D Mario platformer to its limits.

The point I'm trying to make in the thread is to not let Mario 3 warp your view of Mario 1 and 2. Those games aren't god tier masterpieces. they really aren't. Sonic 2 and 3 have them beat in almost every way if people would lower their anti-Sonic bias for a second.

I start to hear ["Sonic was never good, you guys are crazy"] more and more, though. Jeff Gerstmann of giant bomb has said it on his podcast.
Jeff Gerstmann also thinks Yoshi's Island is shit. Yet his opinion is authority when it comes to Sonic, but Yoshi's Island gets a pass? Double standard.

Anth0ny

Jeff Gerstmann also thinks Yoshi's Island is shit. Yet his opinion is authority when it comes to Sonic, but Yoshi's Island gets a pass? Double standard.

he also hates super metroid, resident evil 4, red dead redemption... the list goes on...

fucking gerstmann <3

tbmsq86.jpg

Jeff also said at one point that Donkey Kong 64 was the best of the Donkey Kong Country games and that he doesn't understand why people like Jurassic Park or Back to the Future

Do not agree.

Tizoc

Why do these threads always manage to bring up fucking Donkey Kong

I noticed, I find that DKC has nothing to do with the main point of the thread which was to discuss the 2 primary mascot series at the time.
Bubsy was just thrown in as a joke.

he also hates super metroid, resident evil 4, red dead redemption... the list goes on...

Jeff also said at one point that Donkey Kong 64 was the best of the Donkey Kong Country games and that he doesn't understand why people like Jurassic Park or Back to the Future

jesus christ, that is some shitty taste

Yeah, I've been following that group since their Gamespot days, and they've always been more funny than "right" about tastes in games.

But even then, you come to appreciate just how weird Jeff's taste in EVERYTHING is. He wouldn't be Jeff Gerstmann unless he got angry at people who like pumpkin pie.

I think it was Patrick Klepek that said, specifically about Jeff, "The people who hate what's popular and can articulate that are often the most interesting."

HUELEN10

Finally got a capture card. I know it was talked about a LONG time ago, but anyone planning any Sonic speed runs anytime soon?

Village

I wonder what the sonic pr plan is for next year. For the 25 i mean, because i noticed not only does the 15 SHth anniversary year extends to the end of next year. Its also the anniversary of sonic adventure 2, the 20th. Hope something is about that. And sonic rush, someone remember blaze the cat plz

Village

It's also the 10th anniversary of Sonic 2006

How could you forget man

The real anniversary, We weren't ready. Break the new 2015 hedgehog kiss of life animation out. Year of Anthony

Silver shall lead us to the promise land. And remove cooler characters than himself from their worlds.

Get ready

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean

Sonic the Hedgehog first appearance: 1991

Shadow the Hedgehog first appearance: 2001

Silver the Hedgehog first appearance: 2006

It's high time for another original recolor hedgehog with a hue-related name.

(Sonic blue is totally a color)

Village

While I could go into how sonic designs are actually really good and is part of the reason why people have stayed so long and an explanation on how shadow stays in demand. But I'm tired.

What I will say is there is an orangeish redish fellow in the new comics who apparently modeled his team after sonic's well traditional team sonic, its kinda cute. I guess they would have fans in universe.

Tizoc

I mean

Sonic the Hedgehog first appearance: 1991

Shadow the Hedgehog first appearance: 2001

Silver the Hedgehog first appearance: 2006

It's high time for another original recolor hedgehog with a hue-related name.

(Sonic blue is totally a color)

Return of Mecha Sonic!

Falk

that puzzling face
20 years too late as far as first appearance on an anniversary goes

Sonic the Fighters (Arcade; 1996)

Sonic the Fighters is a 3D fighting title for Arcades based on the gameplay of Virtua Fighter. It establishes certain elements seen later in Sonic Adventure, such as Amy Rose's Piko Piko Hammer, Tails' Workshop and his tail whip attack. Dr. Robotnik has built the Death Egg II, and the only thing that can reach it, Tails' Lunar Fox, is a single-seater. Therefore, the heroes hold a tournament to see who is worthy of going to space to foil Robotnik's plans. This game also introduces Bark the Polar Bear and Bean the Dynamite, as well as Tails' reconnaissance robot Mecha Sonic Model No.29. It should be noted that this game features eight Chaos Emeralds; this can be explained by one of them being the Master Emerald, as it was described as a large Chaos Emerald in earlier material and can also change size in later games.

Village

Man I don't care about lost world, this souless game why did they release, this on steam. No one wants this....

I guess I can wait a minute.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
I wish there was some good way to play Before The Sequel on a TV with a proper controller.

:(

1) Connect PC/Laptop to TV via HDMI/VGA.

2) Get either a Wireless Bluetooth or Wired PC Controller.

3) Start the game, hit F8 to bring up the Menu.

4) Select "Players", ensure the controller for Player 1 is set to Joystick 1.

5) Hit Alt-Enter for Full Screen, or select Full Screen on F8 Menu.

6) Play Before the Sequel with a controller on your TV!!

Village

Lost world mod to just remove the deadly 6

You remember those characters, no, They were uncreative , no one liked them and they should have just been other sonic characters you could fight and unlock play as with other navigation styles that would have justified sonic's odd movement. And along with the shit writing and story in that game was a sign that maybe sonic moved way to far in the other direction in anti edge and created a game full of nothing characters that do nothing.

Whatever your reason is, you can take them out. And apparently it was one of the first mods made.

I wanna know how many mods until the game is better than it actually is. Though you can't fix the story... I mean you could , but that would require way too much time and animation to replace files with .

Tizoc

You remember those characters, no, They were uncreative , no one liked them and they should have just been other sonic characters you could fight and unlock play as with other navigation styles that would have justified sonic's odd movement. And along with the shit writing and story in that game was a sign that maybe sonic moved way to far in the other direction in anti edge and created a game full of nothing characters that do nothing.

Whatever your reason is, you can take them out. And apparently it was one of the first mods made.

I wanna know how many mods until the game is better than it actually is. Though you can't fix the story... I mean you could , but that would require way too much time and animation to replace files with .

Oh please, let's just settle with Eggman finding this place that has cute little animals that can power up his robot army and you gotta stop him.
Leave it at that and just play the stages.

Glad to see mods moving at a good pace though. If it goes for a good discount in the next weeks I'ma pick it up :D

Elija2

I still don't know the names of any of the Deadly Six even after beating the game. I remember I was having trouble with one of the boss fights so I looked up a walkthrough by typing "sonic lost world red boss" into Google.

Sami+

Oh please, let's just settle with Eggman finding this place that has cute little animals that can power up his robot army and you gotta stop him.

That's super lame and boring and Sonic 3 & Knuckles evolved the franchise beyond this over twenty years ago.

All I remember is that Zavok is the big red one voiced by Travis Willingham and that Zazz is the psychotic purple one.

Zomom is the fat one, because his name sounds kind of like "Omnom"

Zeena is the lady because it sounds like Xena, the Warrior Princess

The old blue one is named... uh...

um...

TheOGB

Banned
Isn't one of them named Master Zyzyx or some weird shit

I'll find out next week when I finally run through the game, and promptly forget.

Village

ROL is an unfinished pile of poo, but there seemed to be some type of idea there with lyric or was supposed to be. Deadly 6 just came and went.

That's part of the reason why I describe that game as soulless, and I hate the term souless, because it usually comes with the inclination that one doesn't understand what they dislike, so they came up with souless. But I can explain to you why Lost world is bad and the only descriptor I can come up with that reflects how I feel about it , is soulless. An idea of a game with sonic in it. Kinda. A husk

Sonic stories don't gotta be sonic 06, but goddamn I want more than that. Its why I hope sonic boom picks it shit back up together, I think the idea of what they were trying to do is actually interesting. But if don't put effort in a game, you get an aforementioned piles of poo.

Glad to see mods moving at a good pace though. If it goes for a good discount in the next weeks I'ma pick it up :D
Maybe they can mod it good

https://youtu.be/Npeh7Rx-7bU

I hated Lost World but tbh this made it look pretty fun

This makes me wish Lost World had Workshop Support. Also, that's possibly the most enthusiastic playing and mastering of Lost World I've seen since the game came out.

ROL is an unfinished pile of poo, but there seemed to be some type of idea there with lyric or was supposed to be. Deadly 6 just came and went.

Not to mention that we have suspicions (and in some cases, proof) that big chunks of Rise of Lyric were rewritten at a fairly late stage, and Lyric might've had more depth to him (along with QNC and others), including more significant time travel.

But there's no hint of the Deadly Six ever having anything more to them. The only exception is that you can find a few parallels in the old Sonic Dimensions rumor (single-colored figures with strong personalities, Purple one with a "dark nonsensical attitude", Orange one that's slow and lumbering and compared to Big the Cat, "friendly" Eggman acting as a guide on the journey), and there's no guarantee that wasn't just another fandom fake that lucked out on a few details, anyway. If it was real, it still got a lot of things wrong, or that was a very early pitch of the game that got heavily modified.

A few of the Deadly Six are sort of ok (I like the goth one, the old master with the fruit fixation is ok), but in honestly, Zeena (who's gimmick is literally "the girl") is downright offensive. I mean when you actually pay attention to her, and listen to what she says, she's an offensive set of stereotypes that might've been nailed to the wall had Lost World actually been a successful game.

Top Bottom