• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Rlan

I think the Sally ads vs actual issues depicted the covers two or three different ways, particularly the first issue's.

Yeah, the covers changed dramatically:

I think Art Mawhinney still drew those original covers.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic controls weirder in Lost World than I anticipated. I'd like to try this control scheme on a different controller and levels that aren't tubes, though.

These boss fights are fucking pathetic. But I'm not having a terrible time.

Sonic controls weirder in Lost World than I anticipated. I'd like to try this control scheme on a different controller and levels that aren't tubes, though.

Give it a bit. Most people who start out being like, "This isn't so bad" eventually change their mind by the time they hit the snow world.

TheOGB

Banned
I stopped playing when I realized that was coming up. Like, I straight up quit in the middle of the first beach level and closed the game. I wasn't ready.

Dereck

Transition boyz

ecKeAII.gif

EDIT: I swear that the second half of this game either hides it's big rings better or I just never knew where they were. So much for hyper anything.

& Knuckles definitely has less big rings than Sonic 3 does. They're relatively common in Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis and Lava Reef, but there's only, like, four in the entirety of Flying Battery, and absolutely none after those four stages.

On the upside, once you get into New Game+, the rings in Sonic 3 will give you access to the Super Emeralds as well... provided you've gotten all the Chaos Emeralds (else they'll still give you access to those instead).

Also, Zone 0 asserts that palette at the end of Mushroom Hill 2 is a winter world, which I suppose makes sense (Act 1 being summer and most of Act 2 being fall, it'd be the season that'd follow that pattern), but to be honest, I always saw it more as spring? I was expecting something snowier for winter.

Falk

that puzzling face
Random thought. I'll never get over how large parts of Mushroom Hill's art looks like badly-resized-in-MSpaint jaggies.

It's ugly. And Mushroom Hill's music is terrible

come at me

J@hranimo

Banned
Come on Falk, Mushroom Hill music is great!
Not the best in the game, but it's alright

Also yeah Act 2's transitions are super cool. It's honestly a good zone to start in overall. It's too bad Dimps went the lazy copypasta route with Generations 3DS and didn't make original level design for Classic Sonic =/. It would've been super enjoyable.

Dereck

& Knuckles definitely has less big rings than Sonic 3 does. They're relatively common in Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis and Lava Reef, but there's only, like, four in the entirety of Flying Battery, and absolutely none after those four stages.
I can just go back to previous levels and get them, right?

Village

So like sonic dash boom 2, or whatever updated. Its christmasey, also shadow's in it. Also new eggman base level, some people are finding it laggy.

Come on Falk, Mushroom Hill music is great!
Not the best in the game, but it's alright

Yeah, flying battery zone is in that game

Tizoc

What's up with the art on the main Sonic book?
And why has it become like 2 story arcs at the same time @_@

Otherwise Dr. Robotnik/Eggman keeps on being awesome
rAs8DVu.jpg

Psxphile

We still talking about music here? because if so I completely agree.

Yes. Act 2 is a great level, but the music is such a departure from Act 1 it might as well not be related. But they are. And I suppose that has to do with the drastic change in aesthetic between the two stages. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Psxphile

I tend to associate that track more with Hidden Palace, anyway, and for that stage it's pretty much spot-on.

Oh yeah, definitely. The devs probably felt the same way. But you can hear some of Act 1 in its makeup so I can't mentally parse it in my mind as anything other than the Lava Reef Act 2 song. Hidden Palace (probably) deserved its own track.

Sami+

Oh yeah, definitely. The devs probably felt the same way. But you can hear some of Act 1 in its makeup so I can't mentally parse it in my mind as anything other than the Lava Reef Act 2 song. Hidden Palace (probably) deserved its own track.

I just saw it as foreshadowing. By the time you hit Act 2 you've already been to Hidden Palace and have made that mental association, so when you hear the music repeated (the only time this happens in the game) you know some shit is about to go down and that it probably has something to do with the Master Emerald.

Well, potentially been to there; although the game highlights the Special Stage entrance with that cutscene of Knuckles leaving it, it remains entirely optional.

And also you can't reach that ring at all in Sonic & Knuckles solo, and in fact Special Stage rings just plop you right into the Special Stages in that game.

Still, in S3&K, I'd imagine most people did, in fact, go into that ring, so.

Sciz

It's likely that Hidden Palace was added to the design document very late, as its palette pointer and level ID come in behind just about everything else. Music composition was already wrapped up by that point, aside from Howard Drossin's additions for S&K, and IIRC they elected not to use any of the stuff he wrote besides the jingles, so Hidden Palace got stuck with another level's theme. Early S&K protos gave it Sky Sanctuary instead.

(caveat: I am not one of the guys who knows a lot about these games' coding and may be talking out my ass)

Sami+

It's likely that Hidden Palace was added to the design document very late, as its palette pointer and level ID come in behind just about everything else. Music composition was already wrapped up by that point, aside from Howard Drossin's additions for S&K, and IIRC they elected not to use any of the stuff he wrote besides the jingles, so Hidden Palace got stuck with another level's theme. Early S&K protos gave it Sky Sanctuary instead.

(caveat: I am not one of the guys who knows a lot about these games' coding and may be talking out my ass)

Oh. Well I guess I was talking out my ass then lol my b

TheOGB

Banned
I was not expecting Lost World to be this bad, Christ Almighty. Not even halfway through Frozen Factory and I'm just about done with trying to tolerate this.

I was hoping the game wouldn't be a total waste, but here I am. Let me do these Nintendo stages so I can move on to something fun.

Edit: everything about this "The Girl" character is turrible

I was not expecting Lost World to be this bad, Christ Almighty. Not even halfway through Frozen Factory and I'm just about done with trying to tolerate this.

I was hoping the game wouldn't be a total waste, but here I am. Let me do these Nintendo stages so I can move on to something fun.

Her character design really felt transparently like it was designed for a very "specific" demographic

Give it a bit. Most people who start out being like, "This isn't so bad" eventually change their mind by the time they hit the snow world.

*days pass*

Well Blaze, when you're right, you're right.

Sami+

I've started doing some Sonic LPs on YouTube because eh why not I used to do em a lot in high school and I thought it'd be a fun throwback. SA1 was fun but about an hour into Generations I was just a grumpy bitch for the whole rest of the part because I had to stop and do missions and hated the story.

I briefly considered doing Lost World but I think that would just crank up the "grumpy bitch" levels to 1000 and nobody wants to see that

Piers

Transition boyz

ecKeAII.gif

EDIT: I swear that the second half of this game either hides it's big rings better or I just never knew where they were. So much for hyper anything.

It's likely already been mentioned but the big rings don't appear in Robotnick related stages (Which is a clever touch) so the cut-off point for finding them is within the second act of Lava Reef.

Sami+

So four years later how do y'all feel about Generations? I used to really really love it but honestly like I said in my post above a lot of that good will has died off. The game just frustrates me now. So much missed potential. Not even because of the boost gameplay either, I actually enjoy that (though I think Unleashed had superior level design and visual flair), but the actual structure of the game and the dialogue just makes me feel really awkward and uncomfortable if not annoyed lol.

Before fighting Shadow he says, and I quote, "Sonic, I don't know or care why we're here. Fight me."

oooomg somebody got paid to write that

Psxphile

It's likely already been mentioned but the big rings don't appear in Robotnick related stages (Which is a clever touch) so the cut-off point for finding them is within the second act of Lava Reef.

If that were true than Flying Battery should definitely not have any. Also Sky Sanctuary has no direct relation to Eggman yet you won't find any of the large rings there either. But by that point Eggman had already swiped the ME so there's no way to benefit if you completed the Chaos/Super Emerald collection by then so that's probably by design.

I only really remember the main stages, tbh. I do remember the mission padding, but I also remember only having to do one or two per world so the "mandatory" part of it was over quickly enough.

Most missions weren't even that arduous... except Vector's mission. I hated Vector's mission. I will probably never A rank that and I am okay with this.

If that were true than Flying Battery should definitely not have any.
I mean, yeah, it has them, but it's got significantly less than the other stages so it's still kind of in-line with his logic.

Sami+

I only really remember the main stages, tbh. I do remember the mission padding, but I also remember only having to do one or two per world so the "mandatory" part of it was over quickly enough.

Most missions weren't even that arduous... except Vector's mission. I hated Vector's mission. I will probably never A rank that and I am okay with this.

I mean, yeah, it has them, but it's got significantly less than the other stages so it's still kind of in-line with his logic.

I get too hung up on the details these days. :v

There's a mission in Sky Sanctuary where you have to collect coins before you can clear the stage and you use Knuckles to dig them out and the whole time I played I just got weirdly angry and my mind is hung up on shit like "what are these coins, why do they have Knuckles' face on them, why is he poofing out of thin air to dig them out, why do I need to collect them to clear the stage, why does clearing the stage unlock the key I need to get, why do I even need to get a key to progress..." etc etc. It sucks especially bad having just played Sonic Adventure which almost 20 years ago just straight up didn't do bullshit like that and actually gave context to everything.

Piers

If that were true than Flying Battery should definitely not have any. Also Sky Sanctuary has no direct relation to Eggman yet you won't find any of the large rings there either. But by that point Eggman had already swiped the ME so there's no way to benefit if you completed the Chaos/Super Emerald collection by then so that's probably by design.

Flying Battery had them? Whao... whoops. :p
You're right about Eggman snatching the ME. I also assumed that Sky Sanctuary was so far (?) from the island that the big rings wouldn't be around.

Top Bottom