• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Surta

I get too hung up on the details these days. :v
Then maybe you should relax and do something else.

It sucks especially bad having just played Sonic Adventure which almost 20 years ago just straight up didn't do bullshit like that and actually gave context to everything.
Oh yes, it did. Poof, here's an unexplained magic crystal falling out of nowhere, now carry it to Mystic Ruins, so it'll remove some floating logs that were somehow preventing you from reaching Windy Valley...

Technically the Windy Valley key was right next to Tails's workshop which was also in the Mystic Ruins; you're thinking of the Ice Cap key. Sonic Team did try to contextualize it dropping out from the heavens by having Cream fly out of the alleyway it was in in DX (albeit it's still fairly easy to miss her), although that just begs the question of why she had it on her in the first place, and why she decided to drop it in the middle of a random Station Square alleyway. It's not like she even existed when SA1 first came out...

Sami+

Then maybe you should relax and do something else.

Playing good games is relaxing.

Oh yes, it did. Poof, here's an unexplained magic crystal falling out of nowhere, now carry it to Mystic Ruins, so it'll remove some floating logs that were somehow preventing you from reaching Windy Valley...

That only really happened with the Ice Cap stone, which they kinda fixed. It's weird but nothing in that game is as fucking weird as "get three keys because."

Surta

Playing good games is relaxing.
Not really. Because good games can also be exciting and suspenseful, quite the opposite of relaxing. I just played some StarCraft 2, for example. Great game, but absolutely not what I'd call relaxing.

That only really happened with the Ice Cap stone, which they kinda fixed. It's weird but nothing in that game is as fucking weird as "get three keys because."
They didn't kinda fix it. Cream dropping it is a nice theory, but there's no indication that she does. Also, if you bring her up, you're using SADX, and that has a mission mode, which opens a whole other can of worms...

There's plenty of other contrived gamey BS in the original game, like why do I need the "Ancient Light" upgrade instead of a simple homing attack to dispose of that "monkey guard" who somehow blocks the entrance to Red Mountain? What is a Chao garden doing on the Egg Carrier? Sure, you can invent explanations for that ("Eggman was studying the Chao and their relation to Chaos"), but you can do the same for Generations. In the end, they're just games and use typical (and one could say lazy) tropes and mechanics like "to proceed, collect N of this thing, or carry that thing over here" etc. Don't overthink it.

Sami+

Not really. Because good games can also be exciting and suspenseful, quite the opposite of relaxing. I just played some StarCraft 2, for example. Great game, but absolutely not what I'd call relaxing.

That's cool, good for you.

They didn't kinda fix it. Cream dropping it is a nice theory, but there's no indication that she does. Also, if you bring her up, you're using SADX, and that has a mission mode, which opens a whole other can of worms...

There's plenty of other contrived gamey BS in the original game, like why do I need the "Ancient Light" upgrade instead of a simple homing attack to dispose of that "monkey guard" who somehow blocks the entrance to Red Mountain? What is a Chao garden doing on the Egg Carrier? Sure, you can invent explanations for that ("Eggman was studying the Chao and their relation to Chaos"), but you can do the same for Generations. In the end, they're just games and use typical (and one could say lazy) tropes and mechanics like "to proceed, collect N of this thing, or carry that thing over here" etc. Don't overthink it.

Mission mode's pretty obviously non-canon and really not a big deal. As for Cream... it's pretty obvious, I'm not really sure what to tell you lol. Camera shows her flying in that direction, directly above where the statue falls. Camera cuts to the statue falling. Camera cuts to her flying away. C'mon.

I'm not saying the game's flawless, it pretty clearly isn't, but to argue that there isn't a vast difference in approach to the game design and world between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations comes off as patronizing. Now if you want to argue one approach is better than the other or not as bad to you as it is to me, be my guest.

Village

For people who care about sonic boom odd observations, Blu rays, new renders, and shadow in that mobile game has the best model and running animation out of all the characters. No seriously, the characters all run like sonic mid speed, so the running animations on all of em look funky as shit, even sonic. He's not going fast enough to do his infinity legs situation. Shadow just skates so, it just looks like he's skating faster faster

tried play sonic runners, saw the roulette turned the other way.

Technically the Windy Valley key was right next to Tails's workshop which was also in the Mystic Ruins; you're thinking of the Ice Cap key. Sonic Team did try to contextualize it dropping out from the heavens by having Cream fly out of the alleyway it was in in DX (albeit it's still fairly easy to miss her), although that just begs the question of why she had it on her in the first place, and why she decided to drop it in the middle of a random Station Square alleyway. It's not like she even existed when SA1 first came out...

She had to assert her presence in the past with out us knowing it.

Sami+

Man I really wish they could bring back Endless Possibilities as a recurring character motif for Sonic. I assume they don't own the song since it's not on iTunes or Spotify though. Sucks, it's honestly one of my favorite songs in the series and definitely the best vocal theme in my opinion.

Falk

that puzzling face
If anything, even if it doesn't belong to Bowling For Soup (which I highly doubt, as Ohtani is credited as the composer) Jaret Reddick's performance probably leads to a bunch of licensing/royalty issues.

but hey there are alternatives hit me up SEGA

Sami+

If anything, even if it doesn't belong to Bowling For Soup (which I highly doubt, as Ohtani is credited as the composer) Jaret Reddick's performance probably leads to a bunch of licensing/royalty issues.

but hey there are alternatives hit me up SEGA

Wait does that mean if they got Johnny Gioeli to scream his way through it that'd be legal

please pick a different singer

wellthereitis.gif

Looks like that's the only song from recent years that Sega doesn't own outright, at least.

Well, Bentley Jones talked about suing Sega over royalties, although I don't know how that turned out. I noticed Generations used an instrumental version of Dreams of an Absolution. Not sure if he featured in any other songs included.

Either way, I know he went from being the voice of Sonic game music for a while to suddenly having nothing to do with it.

Village

Ahem, I am asking to share something I found with you all, though the jungles of tumblr because I was bored. I found something I found something sonic related that is a cut above the rest of its kind and I would like to share it with you all. I am asking because assume certain rules are/were in place because people have posted.... odd things in the past. It isn't creepy or anything, however it is at least to me fantastic in its simplicity.

Village

So in the internet the attempt at humanizing sonic character have been done, over... and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And knuckles. And much like a lot of things 95% aren't very good. Though I think in this case, it might be 99%. Its always very generic, anime all white/all japanese maybe slightly darker situation. All the same, generic. Heck as I post this right now to find the picture i'm looking for on tumblr a few more were literally posted. I'm not kidding.

but I have found, at least to me an interesting diamond.

It isn't the most extravagant peice, but its simple enough to which if you know what it is. You know who they are. I was presented this piece with out explanation. Sadly I have robbed you of this, but here it is.

tumblr_nwg9ifJ3Kw1rgendoo1_1280.png

Well, I get it.

It's from inFamous: Second Son. The cop is voiced by Travis Willingham - the current voice of Knuckles.

Although personally I'd prefer to think Knuckles grew up to be a cerrtain flame-wielding Colonel.

Village

Who didnt know that? What do i look like some simpleton

infamous is a series i never got around too they always came out during a period in which i didn't have access to said console. Would get access later then forget. I'll play eventually. Or at least more than a few minutes.

That means shadow is don patch. This the best time line.Papa Shadow rocks. Hehe.

Speaking of voice acting kirk thorton as shadow hasn't been doing the best. However in in sonic dash 2:sonic boom, he delivers the best line he's ever done as the character. Every other situation. It seems like hes directed to pitch his voice up. They let him stay low and its great.Ruby if you see this, i know its Problably not possible but find whoever is in charge of that. And tell them to do that.

Sami+

So in the internet the attempt at humanizing sonic character have been done, over... and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And knuckles. And much like a lot of things 95% aren't very good. Though I think in this case, it might be 99%. Its always very generic, anime all white/all japanese maybe slightly darker situation. All the same, generic. Heck as I post this right now to find the picture i'm looking for on tumblr a few more were literally posted. I'm not kidding.

but I have found, at least to me an interesting diamond.

It isn't the most extravagant peice, but its simple enough to which if you know what it is. You know who they are. I was presented this piece with out explanation. Sadly I have robbed you of this, but here it is.

tumblr_nwg9ifJ3Kw1rgendoo1_1280.png

That's a lot of buildup for this lmao. I like it tho, especially that a lot of them are minorities.

I doodled a doodle last night guess I might as well share

Favorite Sonic design

I've been doing some research on video games' place in theme parks, and I've come to realize that Sega's place in the story is much more substantial than I initially thought.

I was shocked to learn that there were so many Sega owned arcades, parks, and attractions in the 90s, with many still currently open. Likewise, Sonic has found his way into multiple theme parks throughout the world, and Sega still runs multiple parks in Japan, China, and most notably Dubai (Sega Republic) Does anyone have any experience with any of these places?

Sega World (Multiple locations)
Sega Park (Multiple locations)
Sega MegaWorld (Multiple Locations)
Sega GameWorks (North America)
Joypolis (China/Japan)
Sega Republic (Dubai)

Parks with Sonic themed rides:
Alton Towers - Sonic Spinball and previously Toyland Tours.

AI30dBs.jpg

is it wrong that I want this strictly for the box art
I tweeted about Luke Skywalker playing Hang-On in the background there and for the next two hours was being followed by a bot basically every other minute until I finally accumulated 64 of the damn things

Just sharing

Falk

that puzzling face
Ehhhhhhhhhh, working on Squeenix stuff has taught me how to harness excitement and use it for passive aggressive trolling instead for my amusement because I'm a giant poohead.

Woofle's still front and center for the sequel. If anything I'm in more of a consultancy role*. I did the trailer music to help sell the bombastic contrast vs what the game actually is.

*which suits me just fine

Anth0ny

So I finally got one of those account things that lets me order stuff from Amazon Japan and they ship it to my house in Canada.

I bought two Pokemon 2DSes.

Related items:

hngggggggggggggggggggggggggg

what do sonic gaf?

So I finally got one of those account things that lets me order stuff from Amazon Japan and they ship it to my house in Canada.

I bought two Pokemon 2DSes.

Related items:

hngggggggggggggggggggggggggg

what do sonic gaf?
I don't know what that is, but I want it because of the cover alone.

Top Bottom