• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

HUELEN10

Oh come on. Nobody should be focusing this much on such an inconsequential detail as eye color.

Yes, I know of your history vis-a-vis the subject and this forum. You don't need to actively remind everyone of it all the goddamn time. Sonic's most memorable trait isn't his green eyes, stop treating it like it is.

You misunderstand. What I meant is that even with all the classic Sonic stuff, I want the green-eyed Sonic to get some love in a modern-style game; I've been thirsty for one since 2011.

But... I can't call him Sonic, since that could mean any Sonic and gameplay. Can't say Classic Sonic for the same reason. modern Sonic? This Sonic's been THE Sonic longer than any of them, and I don't want him going away any time soon, yet at the same time he's been set aside. The defacto Sonic has been set aside, and I want him back.

I want to few thew same enjoyment I felt with the second I was dashing through Apotos, I want him back; It's been too long.
YVcvZhu.png

He's in the middle, smiling, and ready.

RK128

Man I dislike the "classic" sonic from sonic generations. He's so chubby and whimsical and harmless. Classic sonic used to have a harder edge than that, he had more bite to his expressions and actions.

I think the Classic Sonic from Generations is modeled after Sonic 1/Sonic 2, compared to Sonic 3&K.

Sonic 3 onwards gave Classic Sonic a bit more 'edge' with more realistic sprite work and such.

.........That image will still confuse me to this day X(.

Just looks.....so off :l.

Junahu

I think the Classic Sonic from Generations is modeled after Sonic 1/Sonic 2, compared to Sonic 3&K.

Sonic 3 onwards gave Classic Sonic a bit more 'edge' with more realistic sprite work and such.
I had always assumed that it was just an inherent difference in the way Japan visualised sonic, and how the west marketed him.

But in-game. Sonic has always looked pretty invested; his brow met his nose, so he was perpetually angry. He never felt cute to me.

Sonic 3 actually softened his image. They relaxed his arms, enlarged his hands, rounded off his shoes, softened the connection between his spines and his head, and raised his brow. The altered viewing angle also makes him less standoffish

RK128

I had always assumed that it was just an inherent difference in the way Japan visualised sonic, and how the west marketed him.

But in-game. Sonic has always looked pretty invested; his brow met his nose, so he was perpetually angry. He never felt cute to me.

Sonic 3 actually softened his image. They relaxed his arms, enlarged his hands, rounded off his shoes, softened the connection between his spines and his head, and raised his brow. The altered viewing angle also makes him less standoffish

After watching Shay's Spitball series, I have a new 'take' on Classic Sonic; he doesn't look angry but 'determined' and 'focused'. This gave off the impression of anger but Sonic was focused on the task at hand.

I never saw Sonic 3 the way you describe though.....the more detail does give off a relaxed look :).

RomanceDawn

I agree for the most part. Sonic always seemed tough and almost mean to me. Especially when you kept him idle. I never noticed until you brought it up but Generations classic Sonic is a little cuter than I would have imagined.

But like the others said I guess they were going for that Sonic 1 artwork up there.

Between the Knuckles and Sonic Adventure I had a distaste for Sonic because as a kid I used to think to myself that Sonic thought he was too cool. I remember telling my cousin, "I hate Sonic. He always sayin' stuff like... 'yeah'" We laughed about that for years, I guess because I didn't quote anything of substance from Sonic.

Once Adventure came out then I fell in love with him and the attitude again.

Sciz

The most interesting tidbits:

- Naka wanted a two-player mode in Sonic 1
- Sonic 3's opening cutscene was Iizuka's work
- Naka is still hanging on to some old cans of Sonic ravioli
- Modern Sonic came about because they felt the 3D model of classic Sonic was coming off as too cute
- City Escape features a ton of cars to plow through as Sonic Team USA's retribution for getting a parking ticket
- Naka went to Kyoto to talk with Miyamoto about a Mario & Sonic game three years before the first game came out
- Naka really did want to get Sonic into SSBM, but it was too late
- There's a big 25th anniversary thing going on on July 22nd, with a major announcement of some sort

Not gonna lie, I'm thinking of going to the US for this (plus Comic Con). I'll never get a chance if I just stay here at Brazil, might as well go crazy and live my life as I want.

RK128

The anniversary announcement being saved for 7/22/16 has me thinking it will be a massive announcement. If they are skipping E3 for the game, it must be a big deal.

ShadiWulf

looks like some new sonic clothing recently went on sale in Japan

Cd6f6dIUkAAh0xG.jpg

https://twitter.com/cospa/status/711181619713826816

Also.. can't believe we are being forced to wait until late July. Gonna be another 4-5 months of cryptic teasing i guess. I'd like to think Aaron is just messing with us but seeing how the event page says first look at the future of Sonic.. looks like end of July it is

Could be worse i guess. could be shown a game, and 10 years later still not have it released.

Im excited, Haruki Satomi is leading SEGA down a good path. The wait is gonna drag on for sure though.

To be fair, I'm sure the parking ticket was outrageous.

Cd6f6dIUkAAh0xG.jpg

Also.. can't believe we are being forced to wait until late July. Gonna be another 4-5 months of cryptic teasing i guess. I'd like to think Aaron is just messing with us but seeing how the event page says first look at the future of Sonic.. looks like end of July it is

Could be worse i guess. could be shown a game, and 10 years later still not have it released.

Im excited, Haruki Satomi is leading SEGA down a good path. The wait is gonna drag on for sure though.

That's a rad shirt.

Naka really did want to get Sonic into SSBM, but it was too late

See, this is why I have a hard time 100% trusting what Sakurai says. Sega went to them with open arms for Melee, now multiple sources say, but by Brawl Sonic was somehow an afterthought, only because the fans demanded him?

I wonder if Naka leaving made Sakurai not want to do it.

Cd6f6dIUkAAh0xG.jpg

$30 for a T-shirt, before the import costs even kick in, oof. Still, I remember some prior ones knocking around at much higher.

HUELEN10

I could have sworn I posted about it before, but I guess I didn't? A few weeks ago, my bestie found and got me this life-sized Sonic.

Well, he finally arrived and he was even bigger than I thought. Ended up making a silly vid with him for the heck of it. Now, I play to open him up to prop up ears and stuff, but I could have sworn there was a pretty great site years ago about Sonic merch. As far as I can tell, this guy is legit and was made in 2006. He still has all tags on him. I kinda wanna find out where he came from, and if there are any more in the series, like Silver (again 2006). Anyone remember the site I'm talking about?

HUELEN10

oh my god, lol
Yeah, I still haven't had the time to finish recording game footage, so I upload what I call "bumpers" whenever I can. Just random scenery and game music that goes well. Hopefully, I will get to launch my channel in gear soon. As for the plush though, it is so big I couldn't even fit him in the trunk OR the passenger's seat due to blocking my vision. Had to lay him on the back seat floor. Kinda wanna collect the whole set now, if a set exists.

Village

I wonder how the sonic movie thing is doing. i am very much concerned

Yeah, I still haven't had the time to finish recording game footage, so I upload what I call "bumpers" whenever I can. Just random scenery and game music that goes well. Hopefully, I will get to launch my channel in gear soon. As for the plush though, it is so big I couldn't even fit him in the trunk OR the passenger's seat due to blocking my vision. Had to lay him on the back seat floor. Kinda wanna collect the whole set now, if a set exists.

the bumpers are rad

free shadow gif

tumblr_o4jfuaNjVw1tjbzieo1_500.gif

It's super weird to me how there's a part of Sega specifically making CGI motion pictures for others now, yet they handed off Sonic to Sony Pictures Animation.

Well supposedly Marza Animation Planet is handling the CGI in the Sonic movie. Sony's just handling everything else (script, hiring actors, etc.)

I have a potentially dumb Sonic related question.
Was there ever an advert in the UK for Sonic Heroes that used the A-Team theme song? I feel like I remember there being one, but part of me thinks I've made it up for some bizarre reason.

I have a potentially dumb Sonic related question.
Was there ever an advert in the UK for Sonic Heroes that used the A-Team theme song? I feel like I remember there being one, but part of me thinks I've made it up for some bizarre reason.

There was indeed, I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it but yep it definitely happened.

Top Bottom