• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Rlan

Pretty sure it's just an edit of this:

sonic.jpg

Rlan

With the recent news of the Sega Megadrive Collections on Steam being updated to allow ROM hacks in Steam Workshop, it got me thinking of what I'd want to do as a ROM hack on an old Sega or Sonic game, different from everything else.

What I'd think I'd like to do as a fun extra thing would be to completely re-do Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine to be actually SegaSonic focused rather than AoStH - and do it in a way that they could have done it back then.

Things like having Robotnik being the game version, Enemies based on Robot designs from Sonic 1 & 2 (possibly CD), with maybe Tails & Amy being "enemies" who are there to "help" you beat later bosses. Fighting Motobug, Crabmeat etc up till you fight Mecha Sonic and Eggman.

Maybe not even having the "bean" thing altogether and switching out sprites of them for something else. Garbage beans being spikes, beans being.. something else? Emeralds? Rings? TV Boxes? What would work best there?

Looking around a tiny bit though, looks like Puyo's not entirely the easiest thing to switch out graphics for. I've been out of the hacking scene for a million years too. If anyone's keen I'd be up for it :)

The official render for the cover art of Sonic 3D in Europe.

Every single version had that adorn the box.

Also, Sonic the Comic then decided that's canonically how Sonic looks from the front. Which was ugly.

HUELEN10

Guys, something Sonic related that is good might end up happening to me this week. I can't divulge much, but just wish me luck guys...

Village

So, uh, apparently Sonic is coming to Lego Dimensions or something.

Over/under on it being Boom Sonic?

Didn't think about the boom thing? Hmmm. Dunno, when does that game come out? If it comes when that new season is going down maybe? I dunno

whats the over/under on the delay of fire and ice improving the actual game? Any predictions , anyone care?

I think it will in some way incorporate Sonic Boom. I don't know if it'll necessarily be exclusively Sonic Boom, but I think it'll be in there some way.

The "style" of Lego Dimensions very much lines up with Sonic Boom. It is 95% movie and TV licenses. You play through the Lego version of the first Back to the Future movie, an episode of The Simpsons, etc.

There are game crossovers in Lego Dimensions, with like, Portal and Midway Arcade Classics, but I feel like Sonic Boom would be an easier, more natural fit for that format.

Village

It it would hypothetically promote the new thing. Which, for them would be a good thing, sonic boom doesn't seem like its getting the can anytime soon. So why not actually promote the thing you are pouring some money into?

Regiruler

I just thought of something: if NX was never planned to be at E3 this year, and the anniversary game has NX as primary platform (sales history implies Sonic will still release on Nintendo platforms for now), the july reveal date may give a hint as to when NX stuff will start coming out of the shadows.

Speaking of, have we seen much of Fire & Ice since they announced the big delay?

Sciz

A pitch by Vision Scape Interactive, Sonic Extreme, a skateboarding game. I'd completely forgotten about this, but something popped up about it a few years ago, didn't it? Neat to see it crystal clear, but obviously not a lot to it.

Yeah, that made the rounds back when it was first found on a dev kit.

Yeah, that made the rounds back when it was first found on a dev kit.

Neat. But wow, if someone told you "I have here a pitch from the people who did the Sonic Heroes cutscenes", I would probably run away from that as fast as possible. It had a few good moments, but that CG was probably some of the worst in the series, for main titles at least. (Sonic Blast GG/3D Flickies Island cover not included.)

Yeah, somebody bumped the thread on Sonic Retro recently. I guess the devkit with Sonic Extreme on it changed hands in the last month. The guy who has it now (the PtoPOnline owner, Borman) said if the stars align and it seems safe to do so, he'll release the files publicly.

Regiruler

How the fuck did you people tolerate these fucking awful freedom planet characters?

The only redeeming thing about this game is the music and bosses.

How the fuck did you people tolerate these fucking awful freedom planet characters?

That lovely classic mode option, such a blessing.

But yeah I kept the story on for the first run through and....well it's certainly a thing that's there.

Tizoc

Characters and story didn't bother me much, I've tolerated much worse :p
But Brevon's a pretty cool villain.

Tizoc

FP's story is rather simple-
Brevon goes from planet to planet and draining all energy from it to power his own home world.

No, I mean things like the poorly-timed dialog, having more plot up front and much less plot later on, and (of course!) the infamous
electric torture
scene.

RK128

Hello everyone :D

Despite making the Sonic Retrospective, I want to do more for the anniversary, so will be making more Retrospectives for the series!

I will start with a series covering various fan games, with the following being planed now:
-Sonic Before the Sequel
-Sonic After the Sequel
-Sonic Chrono Adventure

Will also be commenting on other parts of the Sonic series and a number of other Fan Games going forward as well. Will announce the rest of the line up early in June.

Also considering making a video series on Sonic, but never did something like that before. Will think about that before commenting further on the idea.

I also have another surprise as well but will talk about that when the time comes :).

Lets have a great birthday for the Blue Blur and roll around for the 25th Anniversary!

Dr. Buni

Eh. I really like the characters, especially the main duo (Lilac/Carol).

Then again I never had problems with Sonic's "shitty friends" either, I just hate how SEGA keeps creating more friends instead of developing old ones. :T

RK128

What does this mean?

Likely have plans to appease both sides of the fan base this year.

Original Classic Sonic game or Classic Series Collection on modern systems + Big Modern-styled anniversary project for later in the year/early 2017.

I would love another Generations, but don't expect that to happen.

Top Bottom