• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

I take it Eclipse is a new character for the comic right?

Yes.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #99

Song: Purple Pants
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Composer: Fumie Kumatani

I can understand why they broke the game into two completely distinct parts from a software development standpoint, but tacking a party game on was still a weird choice. On the other hand the genre became the Wii's stock in trade pretty quickly, so maybe it was a rare case of Sega accurately seeing the future.

Not gonna lie, I mostly like this for the intro. The party tracks just didn't have the time or care put into them that the main game's music did, but for a brief moment it hints at something greater. Then it gets going and, for all the good she's done, rock jams aren't really Kumatani's scene.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #99

Song: Purple Pants
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Composer: Fumie Kumatani

Tis a good intro indeed. I guess it's just a little short to be truly great, but I like it for what it is. But maybe that's just because I have a love of Eastern and Western instruments together.

Just read Sonic Universe #59. I remember hearing that Omega had gotten a personality sometime I'm the comics, but I didn't know he'd be this funny. And even though we know this new universe is closer to the games, I didn't expect as many call backs/references as there are in this one, especially with SEGA not letting Archie use Black Doom at all, not to mention the game's overall reputation. Really interested in seeing where this goes.

Sciz

Just read Sonic Universe #59. I remember hearing that Omega had gotten a personality sometime I'm the comics, but I didn't know he'd be this funny.

Omega's been a riot ever since Ian introduced him. This is actually one of his tamer issues.

sonic_omegahasguns0jkai.png

He's also kinda badass.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Lost World in two sentences.
LOL. It's true.

Whose idea was it to fill a Sonic game with all sorts of tiny ledges that constantly stop your momentum and, worse, make you automatically slowly wall climb them? What happened to slopes?
This is what a few of us were saying, really. It really does go against general Sonic design because the slopes/hills modify Sonic's speed enough to let the player get to higher ledges, middle ledges or lower ledges (if they should fail). The tube design was interesting because it incorporated the multi-path design in an interesting way, but they used it over and over, with some minimal changes and more areas that don't seem to fit Sonic's movement (and thus we have a run button for Sonic now because the areas are now slower-paced).

I think Pietepiet was talking about a few weeks ago that it would've been better to add the parkour system to Generations since it features the same sort of blocky areas in 2D platforming, but it still uses the slops and hills to modify Sonic's movement for a faster pace. Having the game minimalize the impact of that is so un-Sonic-like in design that it's kind of weird.

completed the wonderful 101. thank god that's over with.

i didn't hate it. the final couple of hours are pretty good in particular, but boy is this an uneven game. to be expected of kamiya i guess.
How uneven is it? I liked the demo, but if it seems to get kind of wonky in the middle, I'll leave the game to last on my To Play list.

JC's tears.

Bravely Default demo is awesome...must resist importing a 3DS to play it a month early.
Resist. You won't regret resisting. Don't do what I did.

I was so ready to give that game GotY because I loved the first half of it so much. I can't wait for it to be done now.

With that said, I'm glad I imported a Japanese 3DS. Now I can get Japanese Tales games or DQ games without feeling like I missed out on anything.

All I remember about Secret Rings party mode (aside from it being dreck) was Knuckles playing a violin with his humongous hands, looked hilarious. The mode was played once in local multiplayer and then never again.

How uneven is it? I liked the demo, but if it seems to get kind of wonky in the middle, I'll leave the game to last on my To Play list.

If you leave it until last then it's actually under the old adage of saving the best till last.

PKrockin

First time I've seen those two sentences next to each other.

LOL. It's true.

This is what a few of us were saying, really. It really does go against general Sonic design because the slopes/hills modify Sonic's speed enough to let the player get to higher ledges, middle ledges or lower ledges (if they should fail). The tube design was interesting because it incorporated the multi-path design in an interesting way, but they used it over and over, with some minimal changes and more areas that don't seem to fit Sonic's movement (and thus we have a run button for Sonic now because the areas are now slower-paced).

I think Pietepiet was talking about a few weeks ago that it would've been better to add the parkour system to Generations since it features the same sort of blocky areas in 2D platforming, but it still uses the slops and hills to modify Sonic's movement for a faster pace. Having the game minimalize the impact of that is so un-Sonic-like in design that it's kind of weird.

It's funny how we seem to keep getting further and further away from the original pinball-like Sonic physics. One of my favorite levels was that wide-open desert stage where you could actually build up speed without it getting stopped constantly by ledges, enemies and obstacles popped up everywhere, and you had big slopes for massive air.

About half the time I was playing I had actually forgotten the game had items and wisps. Maybe they should have just gotten rid of them and focused the game on the parkour stuff. Controlling the wisps was a nightmare whereas I actually had fun the few times I was able to wall run and walljump. Instead both are featured so halfheartedly they're pretty much just introduced and forgotten. It's never built on.

By the way, can we have more games simply continue playing the music when you die and respawn? It cuts down on the frustration. Starting the music from the beginning is associated in my mind with starting the stage/section from the beginning. It doesn't feel like I'm losing as much progress when the music continues, and I don't like hearing the first 30 seconds of a song over and over.

Pietepiet

About half the time I was playing I had actually forgotten the game had items and wisps. Maybe they should have just gotten rid of them and focused the game on the parkour stuff. Controlling the wisps was a nightmare whereas I actually had fun the few times I was able to wall run and walljump. Instead both are featured so halfheartedly they're pretty much just introduced and forgotten. It's never built on.

Yeah, this is how I feel about it too. In fact, the whole damn game is such a collection of random-ass mechanics that just seem to be thrown into one or two stages and then completely forgotten about. I get that they wanted to do a varied game like recent 3D Mario games have been really varied, but you can only pull that off if you have a top-notch team who can actually make all these individual design elements reach their full potential within a single or at the most two levels. Mario 3D World does this a lot, but these people are actually competent enough to do it.

AniHawk

First time I've seen those two sentences next to each other.

someone in the goty thread described it as exhausting, and i'd agree. even the good parts left me feeling rather done for the night. the finale is such a long finale though that i felt like i had to keep with it.

it's not sonic lost world bad, but kamiya throws everything at the wall and then lets it sit there for a very long time. there's one segment where you're moving very slowly through a shmup style setup in operation 006-b (think of operations like worlds and each segment is a level). there are also a couple of levels where all you do is fight wave after wave of the lowest-level enemies because the game is telling you a story at that point. it tries to make use of the gamepad by putting you inside of buildings and solving puzzles that way, but instead of having a fixed camera you have to manually move the gamepad around to get the right viewing angle. one of these puzzles had you inside a box, and you were moving the box from inside the gamepad by hitting the correct side. of course it was super easy to get turned around (you don't know what you're hitting unless you look at the gamepad, and the camera is fixated on an extremely small location).

kamiya needs to learn some restraint. it's okay when bayonetta has one old school level, but there are so many slow moving shmup levels and it just doesn't work. revengeance is far more focused and better for it. revengeance also doesn't have a water level, so points there too.

on the plus side, as cinematic as the story is, and as much as i usually don't like that, it contributes a lot to the ending of the game being an absolute blast. the final two operations of the game are the best in the game.

Weren't you a fan of Beyond Good & Evil? I thought you were cool with uneven games

and the Gamepad sections camera can be controlled by either shoulder buttons. One puts the camera behind you at any time, the other locks the gamepad to camera control the analog stick.

and the second to last operation is the worst, all recycled content and stuff

no no no, I don't like this opinion at all! Ban Anihawk

AniHawk

beyond good & evil was pretty extremely focused. there's some racing stuff, but it's a natural extension of the overworld traversal and optional anyway.

i can't recall what you do in that game aside from dungeons and zooming around the overworld.

would have been nice to know about the camera functions while playing. the part in the plane's fuselage was incredibly difficult when it came to rescuing everyone.

SJS

Just listened to some old Sonic music.

You know what always perplexed me? It's always seemed like the music order for Volcano Valley's acts were reversed.

Also, I have a fetish for the poorly emulated version of Sky Sanctuary (I believe the one in Mega Collection). It sounds a lot more emotional to me.

You know, I really want a tag... but anything I think of is either blatant or would definitely get me banned, so I don't wanna do it. Damnation!

To get a tag you have to either do something really cool or really stupid.

Or in Schala's case make really long post. :p

All of which I am far too lazy to do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Usually tags are assigned if you do something really stupid, so I'd be cautious.

Runner 2's fun so far. Noi says it ain't so great later on :V

PKrockin

@ PKrockin

http://www.retrogameguide.com/images/box_art_and_carts/genesis-sonic-spinball-front.jpg[IMG]

There's your Sonic game.[/QUOTE]

Loved it since I was a kid. It's one of the few games from my childhood that would routinely kick my ass.

PKrockin

I disagree for the most part; In the end, it's all up to the beholder I guess. Damn, I wonder what I sound like to you guys; probably not how I think.

Well in certain threads it may be easy to be seen as angry if the general tone of the thread is masturbatory praise.

Anth0ny

Just finished GTA V, grabbing the last few stamps in 3D World, chapter 24 in Fire Emblem Awakening. This has been a productive Winter break, to say the least. About 60% through TLOU, that's up tomorrow. My GOTY post is coming together quite nicely ^_^

I want to squeeze Wonderful 101 in there too before the deadline.

Quickly, I thought GTA V was fucking great. Beginning to end: Interesting characters, FUN storytelling (they REALLY learned a ton of lessons from GTA IV it seems), unique missions, absolutely gorgeous visuals and an awesome overworld. First time since Vice City that I really wanted to jump back into a GTA after completing it and just 100% that mother fucker. I can't really think of a single thing bad to say about it. No, I never tried the online mode =P

Hard to believe this game probably won't be my GOTY. 2013 was fucked.

OMG Aero

I can't think of any point in Runner 2 were there was a notable decrease in quality. I liked the level music more as the game went on and the design for the last world is great.

The only reason I could see for someone saying it isn't great later on is if the game got too hard for them, but that isn't a problem if you aren't bad at video games.
q9p08eY.gif

Komo

Banned
Sonic Adventure 2 for DC arrived in the mail a few days ago. I think I've spent most of my time in the Chao garden instead of actually playing the game. Huh.

I think a Chao Garden eshop game for the 3DS would be pretty sweet, tbh.

HUELEN10

I will never, never, never understand the love for the Chao garden; it has never clicked with me. I am not bashing it, I just don't get it, at all. I don't get the love for it, yet the complaints about having too many characters in some of the games; Chao gameplay is less Sonic than any "shitty friend".

qq more

The differences are obvious though since Chao is optional, except for the 100% completion.

Of course I have nothing against alt gameplay, as long as they are fun. SA1's emerald hunting and shooting for lyfe. Fishing and werehog can go to hell though =m=...

I will never, never, never understand the love for the Chao garden; it has never clicked with me. I am not bashing it, I just don't get it, at all. I don't get the love for it, yet the complaints about having too many characters in some of the games; Chao gameplay is less Sonic than any "shitty friend".

i love you

Tizoc

Usually tags are assigned if you do something really stupid, so I'd be cautious.

I enjoyed Runner2 all the way through. It's aiming for the high scores and high difficulties that'll irk you ;)

Toad.T

Banned
Have you guys discussed the Sonic Boom rumours? I'm wondering if I should make a topic on Gaming side proper about them.(Mostly just to point and laugh at it.)

Steel Baron

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up a 3ds recently and got Super Mario 3d Land and Donkey Kong Country Returns and both are great. This got me wondering which if any of the Sonic games on the 3ds are any good. Which would you guys recommend?

nns3d

oh wow, that's unfortunate. Can't believe I didn't hear about this all.

i didn't hate it. the final couple of hours are pretty good in particular, but boy is this an uneven game. to be expected of kamiya i guess.

I played the demo and I didn't really like it either. I like PG's other projects though but this one isn't really clicking with me. I might have to go back and try it again.

Sciz

Yeah, the ones from that storyboard guy.

Haven't heard about this, go on.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #100

Song: After the Adventure
Album: Jun Senoue - The Works
Game: Sonic Adventure / NiGHTS
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru & Jun Senoue / Tomoko Sasaki
Arrangement: Jun Senoue

Guitar: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Hisanori Kumamura
Percussion: Tadashi Tomimura
Piano: Yutaka Minobe

One hundred days of this behind us, and I've got the content to go for several hundred more. In celebration, here's an obscure medley originally released in 1999, and unearthed for this album a decade later. So kick back, relax, and enjoy this chill but unlikely marriage of source material and genre.

Tizoc

I picked up a 3ds recently and got Super Mario 3d Land and Donkey Kong Country Returns and both are great. This got me wondering which if any of the Sonic games on the 3ds are any good. Which would you guys recommend?

3D Sonic the Hedgehog 1
Sonic 1 for Game Gear
Sonic Triple Trouble for Game Gear

That's it off the top of my head atm

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #100

Song: After the Adventure
Album: Jun Senoue - The Works
Game: Sonic Adventure / NiGHTS
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru & Jun Senoue / Tomoko Sasaki
Arrangement: Jun Senoue

Guitar: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Hisanori Kumamura
Percussion: Tadashi Tomimura
Piano: Yutaka Minobe

Now this is cool. I recognize Station Square, It Doesn't Matter, and maybe a third tune but not sure. I would like Senoue to incorporate this style into any games he composes for as it is way better than his synth stuff.

You know what always perplexed me? It's always seemed like the music order for Volcano Valley's acts were reversed.
Genesis or Saturn?

Genesis, I can't really agree with, the progression there seems fine. More active Act 1, more passive Act 2.

Saturn, well, the tracks actually are reversed on the CD (and come before Diamond Dust, oddly), and a lot of people mislabel them on YouTube as such, so that might have something to do with it. Act 2 is the higher-key, more bombastic of the two, for the record. I suppose that could seem backwards, especially since the Genesis version goes the other way and mellows out for Act 2, but honestly, they both work well.

That said, Volcano Valley is one of the few occasions where I think the Genesis version is better, overall. The Saturn version's a decent orchestral piece and all, but it's never really felt like a standout piece of the soundtrack, even when I hadn't heard the Genesis version to compare it with, while the Genesis version's one of my favorites from that set.

Top Bottom