• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I will say that analog movement is a perfect match for the overhead Zelda games. Not being tied to 4 or 8 cardinal directions works very well for the swordplay.

SJS

Genesis or Saturn?

Genesis, I can't really agree with, the progression there seems fine. More active Act 1, more passive Act 2.

And that's exactly why I think it should be reversed. The more passive tune should introduce you to the zone, and the more active tune should make you want to play the (theoretically) harder part of it. In a sense, it's sort of like Act 1 could be a dormant volcano and Act 2 could be an active one; that, for me, is the most natural progression there is.

Wow, lots of new people in here.

I'm more lazily inactive than "new", mostly due to the fact that I play games more than I make online posts. Technically, I've been around since Summer 2013 and found GAF by being bored at an internship. (Before then, I thought NeoGAF was an offshoot of Neoseeker and laughed it off like it was nothing. I kid you not.)

I like to imagine she finally just blew up at some stupid post, after years of holding it in

image.php

"Ok, I wasn't gonna say anything, BUT FUCK YOU NIGGA WITH YOUR DRIVE-BY TROLLING IN THE SOUNDTRACK OF THE YEAR THREAD!"

AW SHIT MAN, Imma bout teh git me Rorschach on!

January the fourth, 2014. Someone is coming after us SonicGaffers, and I aim to find out who.

But seriously, I'm also hoping it was a request and that it isn't for as long as Coldman.

Code:
[17:36:40] <Schala> I asked Stump to ban me for a week.
[17:37:48] <Schala> Stump said if I wanted, I could ask him to lift the ban earlier.
So there you go

OMG Aero

Quick, now that Schala's gone we can play all the games we really want to play that she won't let us.

Everybody dig out your copies of Time and Eternity and Ni No Kuni.

Ah, that explains things. Be well, Schala.

I was going through some of the older Song of the Days that I missed out of boredom today, and one that stuck out to me the most was the one for Sonic 3's final boss theme. In particular, there's this bit that Sciz noted:

I also want to make special mention of the fact that you should listen to Sonic 3's music very carefully. It has a more complex and layered style than its predecessors, and the sound programming was done by absolute masters of the hardware who knew exactly how to mix the tracks and squeeze out as much detail as possible. The result is music that's loaded with layers of little subtleties, and it's very rare to hear an arrangement that captures all of them. Angel Island is my go to example, but I like this one as well; everyone focuses on the lead melody, but what makes the piece is how it's got three to four other voices playing harmony the whole way though. And they're distinguished by pitch and panning rather than volume, so you can pick each and every one out instead of having the lead bury the rest under a wall of sound.

You ever hear a song, and then notice an accompanying melody (or melodies) you didn't notice before, and then from that moment on, you're never able to unhear it whenever you listen to that track? That's pretty much what happened to me. And as noted above, they're easy to pick out because it's not separated by volume. I went and listened to the rest of S3 & K's soundtrack afterwards, and man, I've got a way deeper appreciation for the soundtrack than I did before.

The SNES soundchip is fantastic and all, and isn't without it's tricks here and there, but the wizardry Genesis composers pulled off (The entirety of Castlevania: Bloodlines' soundtrack is one of my favorite examples of this) is what fascinates me the most. Working with limitations really seemed to bring out the best in the sound programmers.

Tizoc

..but Schala I wanted to ask you about jRPGs and Breath of Fire!
Ah well hope she'll be back fine, TAKE Care Schala.

Blues1990

Hearing that Silver the Hedgehog might become an aggressive (but cowardly) overweight bully, with a demigod complex, would be pretty amusing in it's own right.

Sciz

I was going through some of the older Song of the Days that I missed out of boredom today, and one that stuck out to me the most was the one for Sonic 3's final boss theme. In particular, there's this bit that Sciz noted:

You ever hear a song, and then notice an accompanying melody (or melodies) you didn't notice before, and then from that moment on, you're never able to unhear it whenever you listen to that track? That's pretty much what happened to me. And as noted above, they're easy to pick out because it's not separated by volume. I went and listened to the rest of S3 & K's soundtrack afterwards, and man, I've got a way deeper appreciation for the soundtrack than I did before.

<3

Sonic 3's music is a masterwork, made all the more incredible by the fact that it turned out so well even with all the hands that were involved in its creation. Suffice it to say I feel strongly about it, so it warms my heart to see someone become aware of how remarkable it is.

I'm really hoping Sega can clear up Sonic 3 for the Taxman treatment, if only because I'd love to hear its music get the remastering the last two have.

The Sonic Boom reboot rumor, as promised earlier: Clicky.

lol

TheOGB

Banned
Some of that rumored stuff I like (main cast stuff is lul, but fine, also Blaze and Metal), some of that is just ridiculous (Silver, Shadow and Rouge, oh lord haha), and the rest is... what.

But if there's one thing I now am nervous about is this show possibly making the Sonic franchise go the way of modern Pac-Man...

Regiruler

Sonic still actually has games and a current take on a personality, so it can't go too far off.

I wish they got the writers of the games to work on the show, though. Even if it had Lost World level writing, it would be a step-up from normal children's television, assuming voice cast is kept.

Sciz

I wish they got the writers of the games to work on the show, though. Even if it had Lost World level writing, it would be a step-up from normal children's television, assuming voice cast is kept.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ken Pontac is involved.

Ian Flynn on errything

Sadly he's made it clear that the odds against that are fairly astronomical.

edit: and speaking of Ian, the show, and that "leak":

Ian Flynn said:
Blatantly fake.

And before someone contests "blatant" - fine, from what I know, details are way off. So still fake.

Anth0ny

My jaw dropped seeing Schala banned at the top of this page. Then I remembered you can request bans here lol

I'm guessing she wanted to do something actually productive in real life. Bans from NeoGAF really help with that, I can tell you that from experience ^_^

Top Bottom