• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

I don't know if it ever will have overarching storylines, tbh. You can pick pretty much any episode and it'll be standalone comedic goofing off or something.

from what has been spoken about season 2, there will be 2 part episodes and more folks show up. So, well see i guess?

I think the only overarching storyline you will see will involve things they can sell.

Edit: This is a fairly common practice, when you are doing liscened shows. I bet you there will be a thing about the fire and ice that pops up now and again because they are selling that. And the brand runners strait up telling folks, shadow stuff is coming. And they plan to sell that.

I think most of the show even if the episode is action-ey will be episode to episode for the most part

Crub

If you beat Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles without reaching the Doomsday Zone, can you replay prior levels and collect the Chaos Emeralds you missed, in order to unlock it?

BrunOz

So, I just bought Sonic CD for PS3 last night, played it for the first time and goddamn I'm having so much fun with this game, I've got through 3 zones until now.

The mix between platforming and pinball stuff feels so good, the soundtrack is amazing too (JP one, haven't tried the US option), sprites are beautiful and the fact that the game supports widescreen really helps to react to stuff while you're at high speed. (I just have no idea how this "past/future" system works yet)

This really took the bad taste in my mouth provided by some frustrating moments with Sonic Generations on the PS3.

I still need to try some good 3D Sonic game, I'm aiming for Sonic Colors next, does anyone knows if I can play it on Wii U without a wii remote?

Regiruler

So, I just bought Sonic CD for PS3 last night, played it for the first time and goddamn I'm having so much fun with this game, I've got through 3 zones until now.

The mix between platforming and pinball stuff feels so good, the soundtrack is amazing too (JP one, haven't tried the US option), sprites are beautiful and the fact that the game supports widescreen really helps to react to stuff while you're at high speed. (I just have no idea how this "past/future" system works yet)

This really took the bad taste in my mouth provided by some frustrating moments with Sonic Generations on the PS3.

I still need to try some good 3D Sonic game, I'm aiming for Sonic Colors next, does anyone knows if I can play it on Wii U without a wii remote?
You need a wii remote unless there was a downloadable version released on the wShop.

Sami+

Wasn't Colors playable with a GC controller? Would be fun to play a good Sanic with this beauty I bought at CEO last month :)

13257045_1703690459899975_245315524_n.jpg

Sami+

It is. I personally played it with one. Of course, not on Wii U since it doesn't support cube controllers.

Does the adaptor not work? Kinda dumb if so, Smash is pretty much the only reason I own the console so I've spent countless hours using my GC controller on that console and maybe in the past year of owning one about a cumulative two hours of Gamepad use lol.

Regiruler

Does the adaptor not work? Kinda dumb if so, Smash is pretty much the only reason I own the console so I've spent countless hours using my GC controller on that console and maybe in the past year of owning one about a cumulative two hours of Gamepad use lol.
No it doesn't, it's been lamented ever since the adapter came out.

Your missing out on a lot.

Sciz

Colors supported the Wiimote, Wiimote + Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and GC controller. One of the system's real triumphs when it came to control options.

If you beat Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles without reaching the Doomsday Zone, can you replay prior levels and collect the Chaos Emeralds you missed, in order to unlock it?

I'm almost certain the answer is yes, but it's been a long, long time since I last beat the game with only some of the emeralds.

Sami+

No it doesn't, it's been lamented ever since the adapter came out.

Your missing out on a lot.

Bummer.

And it's chill, I know what I bought the system for. Nothing interests me other than what I already have (Smash, Mario Kart, and I bought Pikmin 3 yesterday because my gf was a huge fan of the first one so I'm watching her play that). Fwiw I did borrow Lost World from a friend but it's pretty much the antithesis of what I want in a Sonic game. Felt more like Mario (which I don't care for honestly) than what I like from Sonic.

Tizoc

Wait a minute
THERE ISN'T A SINGLE CHECKPOINT IN THE MARBLE ZONE ACTS
THE ONLY CHECKPOINT IS BEFORE FIGHTING EGGMAN IN ACT 3

At any rate, some quick impressions THAT i wrote up, which I will use in a RTTP thread for Sonic 1.

Green Hill Zone
The easiest Zone in the game, and the one where speeding through is the primary course to take. One thing I like about GH Zone is how it 'ups the difficulty' somewhat:
In Act 1 there are 3 rings visible that Sonic can pick up safely by jumping
In Act 2, the first set of rings are on bridges with the fish Badnik jumping upwards. To a child this can seem daunting as you risk losing a life so early in the stage.
In Act 3, there are spikes early in the stage, but there is also a hidden Inv. power up on one of the palm trees too

It's a simple design idea but one that I find rather fascinating.

Also I will always forget the proper timing to attack EggmanRobotnik in this Zone =_=

Marble Zone
Ah now this stage
THIS STAGE
This stage changes it up. This one must be approached more 'Traditional platformer' like. There are traps and moving platforms and much of the stage is spent underground. Rushing through is pointless. You must progress through an area slowly and without rushing. Furhtermore memorizing the patterns and layout of the traps is crucial to avoid taking damage and losing your rings.
While many would dislike this Zone
I rather like it. I like the slow paced nature of it somewhat. Prob. helps that Marble Zone's theme is quite good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXukwNQG0uA

Furthermore, controlling Sonic really shines here, Sonic manages to slow down or halt to a stop rather quickly from what I played.
For the most part and despite actually losing rings a few times the course of playing these Acts, I managed to react as best as possible to oncomming hazards, traps and enemies.
If there is one major issue I have with this Zone, it'd be the fact that THERE ISN'T A SINGLE CHECKPOINT IN ANY OF THE ACTS.

It's like during development, they set the stage up and the hazards and forgot about the checkpoints. This is frustrating for first time players as it means you got to start from the very beginning of the Act.
Non the less, this stage requires the player to simply take is slow and steady, and yet one could still speedrun it just fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veOsJy7VQMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBNKhZQTcSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVsn6jj7M2s

Spring Yard Zone
Much like Marble Zone, this one should be approached with a slow pace as well at least to avoid the hazards, enemies and traps.
Furthermore this stage follows patterns in the sense that certain elements repeat themselves throughout the stage. From the slow moving trio of platforms, to the lower sections of the level where one would see spiked balls, among a few others.
In the case of the spiked balls, their pattern is set: When one spike ball is up, the other will be down.
2 enemies are unique to this level at least: An enemy with a spike on its back meaning you got to spin dash to destroy it or just jump over it to avoid it
The other is an armadillo-like badnik, this one will chase you from behind, but long as you end memorizing where they come from they're easy to deal with.

Act 3 is where the dev team become crafty; the trio of moving platforms can crush you at the final set at the top, furthermore, prior to fighting Robotnik, there are moving platforms over a bottomless pit. This last part isn't that hard to get through long as you don't rush through it and just follow its pace.

Spring Yard Zone has checkpoints thankfully, but memorizing the stage and pattern of the hazards is crucial to being able to beat it as fast as possible.

Anth0ny

i just ignore the "sonic was never good!" threads at this point

reverting into the comfy, circle jerk that is a community thread is good for the soul <3

Sami+

This is where you will find actual sensible and serious Sonic discussion.
Honestly yeah. Discussion with non-fans reminds me of when I worked as a grocery cashier and everyone would make the same jokes in line thinking they were original and funny. I've gotten tired of hearing the same things verbatim and I cringe whenever someone mentioned the "cycle" as if it's scientific evidence or some shit.

RK128

i just ignore the "sonic was never good!" threads at this point

reverting into the comfy, circle jerk that is a community thread is good for the soul <3

I agree. I respect the maker of that thread for explaining why they don't like Sonic.....but I strongly disagree to all there points regardless :l.

Sonic is a franchise that has a bright red target on Gaf saying 'Say I'm shit! Its funny!' and people love hitting that here sometimes :(.

It is best to ignore those threads completely and not partake in discussion. I only did as I felt 'Why not?' but still.

Sciz

During a Sonic Mania inspired nostalgia trip, I found a slavish reconstruction of that song from the Sonic OVA trailer.

Ooh, that's not bad at all.

Wait a minute
THERE ISN'T A SINGLE CHECKPOINT IN THE MARBLE ZONE ACTS
THE ONLY CHECKPOINT IS BEFORE FIGHTING EGGMAN IN ACT 3

If there is one major issue I have with this Zone, it'd be the fact that THERE ISN'T A SINGLE CHECKPOINT IN ANY OF THE ACTS.

what

You're missing a checkpoint in every single act somehow.

Tizoc

Of course they put the checkpoints on the left side of the screen
Of course they did
On the one hand though it means you start from a safe position.

Well, technically he makes them harder, because the limits for each stage get raised when you're playing with the pair instead of a single character solo.

Psxphile

Most annoying thing is when Sonic takes damage but Tails doesn't (or you jump but he doesn't or can't), which puts him in the lead where he gets in the way of your ring collecting. Since he mimics your jumping you have to get creative with it in order to get him back behind Sonic. Until then he's in prime position to gobble up all the rings and then lose them crashing into bombs.

Tizoc

Labyrinth

Ah Labyrinth
How we all hate you
Funnily enough one CAN avoid taking damage from certain badniks or traps despite being underwater.
The concept or idea is interesting, but it's an overall tedious level, at least until you learn all the secret paths that would allow you to finish the Acts in under 2 minutes.

The 'boss battle' is rather non existent; once you see Robotnik you must jump upwards using platforms with traps on either side of the wall.
This wouldn't be too much of an issue if the view area or area you're playing in was WIDER. As is though...it's do-able, the traps give you enough time to jump to the next platform or ledge to reach the top.
Water is rising up at this point of the level but it's not that much of a hindrance long as you time your jumps properly.

Star Light
Yeah this stage is odd, it brings back the speed aspect of Green Hill but has enemies that are for the most part invincible: The fireworks enemy cannot be destroyed by Sonic, any attempt to do so hurts Sonic instead. The flying Badnik with the spike balls should just be Spin Dashed under or jumped over.
There are turrets that fire fireballs at you but these are easily dodged.
This stage would've fared much better without the Badniks and there just beeing the pits and the turrets.
I think this is Robotnik's hardest Boss Fight, but that's likely due to me always messing up my timing on when to use the see-saws.

Tizoc

OK I think I've come to figure out Sonic 1's design philosophy.
You got Green Hill Zone where you can speed through, but then the devs must've worried that the game would be monotonous if they repeated the idea for the rest of the game.
So you got Marble, Spring Yard, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain all being puzzle/platform focused with traps and hazards laid throughout the levels.
One thing I'll give them credit for, unless this is unique to the 3DS ver., is that Sonic controls well, he stops at the right time you don't want him to be hit by a hazard or trap and if you've memorized the patterns you know when to spin dash or jump to progress through a section.
EDIT: Also these 'hidden' paths/shortcuts are rather fiendishly hidden.

Sciz

Are the Sonic Archie comics still good? What were the comics in Europe like?

Assuming you read the comics as a kid, then it's worth noting that almost the entire creative team was sacked a decade ago and replaced with a much better one, and then the universe as a whole was rebooted about three years ago now thanks to the former lead writer causing a big kerfuffle by suing Archie. They are, by and large, quite good now.

Sonic the Comic was weird in its own charming way (example: There's a recurring trio of villains named the Marxio Brothers that are an utterly shameless Marx Brothers and Mario mashup), but still managed to tack a lot closer to the games than the Archie series used to thanks to not being derived from a TV show. It also shared space with short runs of other Sega series for most of its life, so there's a lot of tonal and artistic variety there.

Assuming you read the comics as a kid, then it's worth noting that almost the entire creative team was sacked a decade ago and replaced with a much better one, and then the universe as a whole was rebooted about three years ago now thanks to the former lead writer causing a big kerfuffle by suing Archie. They are, by and large, quite good now.

Uh what? So, what are they about now? The ones I read as a kid were mirrors of the Saturday morning cartoon.

Sciz

Uh what? So, what are they about now? The ones I read as a kid were mirrors of the Saturday morning cartoon.

Most of the core SatAM characters are still hanging around and the fundamental "Freedom Fighters vs. Robotnik" shtick is the core of the story, but it's all much more games-based and less oppressive in tone. It's about to finally wrap up a long, loose adaptation of Unleashed that's been running since the reboot, the best part of which was the Sonic the Fighters mini-arc that played out in the middle of it. There's also a sister series, Sonic Universe, that runs four-issue arcs that may or may not have anything to do with the main series, and about characters who aren't Sonic.

Freedom fighters. Adventures just played on weekdays if that's what you're referring to.

oop, i forgot that the cartoony one wasn't on weekends

ANYWAYS, the Freedom Fighters one (SatAM) has held up well enough. I rewatched them with my friends a few years ago and enjoyed it. There's some lingering plot threads because the show didn't get renewed, as a warning.

Most of the core SatAM characters are still hanging around and the fundamental "Freedom Fighters vs. Robotnik" shtick is the core of the story, but it's all much more games-based and less oppressive in tone. It's about to finally wrap up a long, loose adaptation of Unleashed that's been running since the reboot, the best part of which was the Sonic the Fighters mini-arc that played out in the middle of it. There's also a sister series, Sonic Universe, that runs four-issue arcs that may or may not have anything to do with the main series, and about characters who aren't Sonic.

And this comic is good? It's called Sonic The Hedgehog right? Start at issue 1?

Btw loves your slide vs monkey bar example in my thread.

Oh, and since it was brought up and also because I completely forgot, Sonic X tends to vary in quality. I can't say for sure how much one would like it, but someone who did watch it told me that the episodes that revolved around the events of Sonic Adventure 2 tended to be pretty good while the "original" episodes were not. Take that how you will.

Sciz

And this comic is good? It's called Sonic The Hedgehog right? Start at issue 1?

Btw loves your slide vs monkey bar example in my thread.

Well, I like it, and so do a fair number of other people around here. The reboot didn't actually restart the numbering, so it formally starts at #252 (and in Universe, #59). First few issues are a bit pants thanks to editorial meddling trying to connect the new universe more directly to the old one which dragged the mood way down, but they still set up the revamped cast nicely and the lingering remnants of the old world got dropped like a hot rock afterwards.

Metropolis zone strikes again, right near the end of Act 1 where the vertical looping point is with the lines of yellow bumpers I had Sonic just get trapped in back and forth in bouncing purgatory as the game randomly removed my ability to influence his direction, he's still stuck there as I type pinging back and forth for all eternity.

All of a sudden the badnicks don't seem so bad.

Before work I started a new game of Sonic Adventure 2. I'd like some tips to get better at Sonic's stages.

Also, the truck keeps appearing on my screen even before it chases Sonic. It takes up the screen and it's to see. I restart the game and it still does it?

Sciz

Metropolis zone strikes again, right near the end of Act 1 where the vertical looping point is with the lines of yellow bumpers I had Sonic just get trapped in back and forth in bouncing purgatory as the game randomly removed my ability to influence his direction, he's still stuck there as I type pinging back and forth for all eternity.

If you jump while rolling, you don't get any air control. Hence, jumping into those bumpers from a roll traps you.

You can actually hold the jump button to increase Sonic's bounce height to get out of that.

Top Bottom