• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Mania has me in the mood to play through the Taxman trilogy + Sonic 3 complete. I haven't been this excited for the series since Generations, and before that... probably since I was a kid.

So I get home late and go to bed, and wake up to the promise of a classic 2D from Taxman and a new 3D sonic game that looks like Generations! And... whatever the fuck that stream was. But yes, fucking finally! It took Lost World getting super mediocre reception and Sonic Boom booming, but it looks like Sonic's back on the right track!

Except for the story of 3D Sonic. That trailer with the tagline "Join the Resistance", destruction everywhere, and the words "In the darkest of times" makes it look like they have forgotten the lessons of the past with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

Tizoc

That's now how it works, the Steam versions are Genesis ROMs running in an emulator. Taxman's ports are reconstructions of the games.

Aha thought they could be modded as such.
Well either way just put them up on Steam already they'll sell like hotcakes.

Kneefoil

Again, why?

Because they are enhanced ports. You can spin dash even in Sonic 1, you can play as Knuckles and flight capable Tails, the games have save slots with autosaving, they have widescreen support, and Sonic 2 has Zones that are not in the original. I'm probably still forgetting something, but you get the point.

Because they are enhanced ports. You can spin dash even in Sonic 1, you can play as Knuckles and flight capable Tails, the games have save slots with autosaving, they have widescreen support, and Sonic 2 has Zones that are not in the original. I'm probably still forgetting something, but you get the point.

All of those options, aside from widescreen, are available as mods in the Steam version. There's no reason to release a Taxman version unless you want to pay for widescreen that badly.

Village

Sonic boom comes out in 2016
buy it

It's interested in me in the sense that people have a vastly different definition of grimdark than I do - goofy large robots and smiling hedgehogs be damned.

i have seen a few reactions

A lot of them not the most enamored with the teaser, makes sense it wasn't much and there are people who think classic sonic in a mainline game should be a 1 time deal. But some people weren't enamored because the last few sonic games were... not the best. And there are hopeful but weary folks. So its been interesting to see a lot of people go " we will see"

and there are the people who are upset that people aren't hype

Sciz

All of those options, aside from widescreen, are available as mods in the Steam version. There's no reason to release a Taxman version unless you want to pay for widescreen that badly.

The remastered versions run at a rock solid 60 fps with absolutely no slowdown or sprite flicker. There's no modding that into the original ROMs.

Sonic 2's remastered audio is also super hot.

The remastered versions run at a rock solid 60 fps with absolutely no slowdown or sprite flicker. There's no modding that into the original ROMs.

Don't forget the proper polygonal special stages. I love the original version of Sonic 2, but it's hard to go back to those pixelated special stages after that.

Kneefoil

Did a quick search for some of the features in the Steam Workshop for the Sega Mega Drive Classics, and didn't actually find mods for all of them. Not saying they absolutely aren't there, but it's still a hassle to go through and search for the right mod, if there's something specific you were looking for. Your average Steam user also isn't going to check the Workshop for any of their games, so having the game be in the shop with all the neat features already intact would be great for those people, and would definitely rake in money for Sega.

TrueBlue

Sonic boom comes out in 2016
buy it

i have seen a few reactions

A lot of them not the most enamored with the teaser, makes sense it wasn't much and there are people who think classic sonic in a mainline game should be a 1 time deal. But some people weren't enamored because the last few sonic games were... not the best. And there are hopeful but weary folks. So its been interesting to see a lot of people go " we will see"

and there are the people who are upset that people aren't hype

A mishmash of reactions is par for the course when it comes to Sonic I suppose.

Hell, even Mania is not exempt from this.

It's interested in me in the sense that people have a vastly different definition of grimdark than I do - goofy large robots and smiling hedgehogs be damned.

Shadow The Hedgehog also has goofy robots. It's the same game Shadow karate chopped Eggman to death and had the option to work with a space alien named Black Doom to conquer all of humanity while using mild swears. The intro also had Shadow standing over Sonic's beaten body with a gun.

I wouldn't be worried if Sonic Team didn't have a history of misunderstanding what works for the Sonic universe.

Sciz

Don't forget the proper polygonal special stages. I love the original version of Sonic 2, but it's hard to go back to those pixelated special stages after that.

Sonic 2's are definitely a cut above, although IIRC, Sonic 1's smooth rotation actually can be done on the original hardware and it's just locked to fixed intervals for some odd reason. Never mind how much CD benefited from just being able to run the damn things properly.

TrueBlue

Shadow The Hedgehog also has goofy robots. It's the same game Shadow karate chopped Eggman to death and had the option to work with a space alien named Black Doom to conquer all of humanity while using mild swears. The intro also had Shadow standing over Sonic's beaten body with a gun.

I wouldn't be worried if Sonic Team didn't have a history of misunderstanding what works for the Sonic universe.

I would argue the image of Shadow holding a gun and standing over Sonic was much less vague when concerning tone as opposed to the Sonic 2017 teaser.

But I get what you're saying. I think what bugs me more is some of the "burning city = Sonic 06 tone" critique that's been thrown around - as if 06 had a monopoly on dystopian cities in the series.

But again, I understand the sentiment. I just think it's misplaced at this point, and hopefully I won't be mistaken in that belief.

I would argue the image of Shadow holding a gun and standing over Sonic was much less vague when concerning tone as opposed to the Sonic 2017 teaser.

But I get what you're saying. I think what bugs me more is some of the "burning city = Sonic 06 tone" critique that's been thrown around - as if 06 had a monopoly on dystopian cities in the series.

But again, I understand the sentiment. I just think it's misplaced at this point, and hopefully I won't be mistaken in that belief.

Haha, granted Shadow was much more up front about. Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped to the moon over Sonic Mania and like many others am getting ready to run through Sonic 1 - 3 and CD because of it.

With the 3D Sonic, I'm hyped, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. There are so many times where you can see that Sonic Team almost gets it, like with Unleashed's day stages, but then goes off the rails with the Night Werehog stages. Or with Lost World, where I'm convinced there was a good game that could have been made under all the frustration due to some baffling design decisions. I'm hoping they looked at what worked with Unleashed, Colors, and Generations and are further refining the gameplay.

Differing opinions aside, I'm glad that this thread is bustling with activity again because of good reasons as opposed to bad ones.

Seconded!

Yeah, I'm glad this thread is reenergized!

Ow the Edge and 06 did more damage to the franchise's reception than I thought.

Colors and Generations went a long way to reenergizing the franchise. Lost World was a misstep, but could have been recovered from. But then Sonic Boom came along and shit up the joint. Sonic Team now has to rebuild that good will, and hopefully Sonic Mania and the new 3D game will do so.

I fully expect Mania will.

2017, though, the jury's still out on - though it looks to be more of Generations (but not just rehashes of old stages like Generations was), which is a decent starting point.

Sciz

Two thoughts that occurred to me:

1. The game named Sonic 4 made a desperate bid to use synths and the classic snare in an attempt to sound retro. The game that could actually be Sonic 4 from a parallel dimension's 1996 completely ignores synth and goes straight for CD audio.

2. GHZ has consumed EHZ's single distinctive feature and replaced it entirely.

Sami+

iirc Endri did say that this game wasn't following the Generations formula so I'm definitely expecting something majorly different in the core design.

I'm really excited, I just wish we had been shown more.

Tizoc

Could someone post the Sonic 25th ann. logo that looks like a plushie please?

Them 60 FPS Ring animations *o*

Sciz

iirc Endri did say that this game wasn't following the Generations formula so I'm definitely expecting something majorly different in the core design.

I'd put decent odds on whatever prototype it was Endri saw having been scrapped, given how far out this game still is and that that post was from June 2014. It could be something significantly different that just happens to have Classic Sonic along for the ride again, but Occam's Razor suggests that they're sticking to formula.

TrueBlue

This has actually been spitballed in a couple of the other threads, but what if Classic Sonic's presence in 2017 isn't to provide 2D gameplay? Perhaps he'll offer a 3D Boost style that adheres more to classic sensibilities.

I mean, Mania covers that 2D itch - more than Generations ever did. Perhaps they'll try and do something a little different with him. The trailer even suggests that Classic Sonic is boosting alongside Modern at the end.

I don't think this will be the case, but it's an interesting thought.

Sciz

This has actually been spitballed in a couple of the other threads, but what if Classic Sonic's presence in 2017 isn't to provide 2D gameplay? Perhaps he'll offer a 3D Boost style that adheres more to classic sensibilities.

I mean, Mania covers that 2D itch - more than Generations ever did. Perhaps they'll try and do something a little different with him. The trailer even suggests that Classic Sonic is boosting alongside Modern at the end.

I don't think this will be the case, but it's an interesting thought.

Most of the reason why Generations had Classic along for the ride in the first place was that it provided Sonic Team a cheap and easy way to double the length of the game without having to build more fully 3D levels. Making his gameplay 3D as well torpedoes that.

I hope Classic Sonic's 2.5D style of play sticks around.

2.5D platforming is underrated and can be pretty brilliant in the right circumstances. Classic Sonic's City Escape was amazing due to how the truck appearances were handled.

TrueBlue

Most of the reason why Generations had Classic along for the ride in the first place was that it provided Sonic Team a cheap and easy way to double the length of the game without having to build more fully 3D levels. Making his gameplay 3D as well torpedoes that.

Good point.

Which is fine by me. A Sonic Generations with original levels is what I wanted.

Now I just hope Sonic follow Mania's lead in the gameplay itself - level design, physics etc

The thing is, it's tonally inconsistent and jarring. The music and visuals showcase a devastating event, but then both Sonics appear and it's like a joke.

The trailer suggests to me that the levels themselves will still be Generations-like. However, I'm thinking that what stitches them together will be different than in Generations. I say this because, well, if this was such a drastic change, why would they include classic Sonic at all? Their designs are both completely ripped from Generations, too. The setting raises some eyebrows, though. Maybe there will be small hubworlds to connect the levels together where you solve puzzles and such in order to continue with the game? Or maybe there's another playable character or two? Or both?

No idea what they could be doing. What constitutes a viable $60 purchase is different now than it was when Generations came out. Almost every game is either open world or competitive/online in some way, good Sonic games are usually neither of those things.

TrueBlue

The thing is, it's tonally inconsistent and jarring. The music and visuals showcase a devastating event, but then both Sonics appear and it's like a joke.

I'm not saying the trailer was well put together, mind. I just don't think it definitively suggests a darker tone on the level of Shadow or 06.

The talk of Boom Sonic in Project Sonic 2017 has me scared. It'd be quite the risk given the critical reception of the Sonic Boom games. The cartoon is legitimately funny to me though.

I get wanting to pad the games out, but I hope they don't use Boom Sonic to do it. I personally felt Colors and Generations were too short, but I think it's mainly because it was too easy to reach the ending. I think 12-15 zones + a true ending unlocked by S ranking the stages would be a good move.

Sonic Adventure trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5k9CgkWRg8
Entire city is destroyed by flooding/alien-looking creature. In the game, Eggman is so intent on destroying Station Square that he summons an ancient god-beast.

Sonic Adventure 2 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGglsCdIxfI
Evil Hedgehog. Good Hedgehog breaking out of what seems to be a military chopper, and he's wearing handcuffs. Also in the game, Eggman blows up the freaking moon just to prove a point.

Sonic 06' trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCc32P672_0
Eggman lays waste to a city. There was also the tech demo where Sonic is "killed" by Eggman's robots.

I don't see how Sonic Project is any different. Eggman is remarkably consistent in his plans: destroy the city (or even the world), rebuild it in his image.

Top Bottom