• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Anth0ny

Finally done my GOTY post.

Cut it super close, so I kinda had to rush through it a little faster than I would have liked. Some of those games took a lot longer than I expected to finish. Also unexpectedly went way over the character limit, so I had to cut some stuff out =(

AniHawk

Finally done my GOTY post.

Cut it super close, so I kinda had to rush through it a little faster than I would have liked. Some of those games took a lot longer than I expected to finish. Also unexpectedly went way over the character limit, so I had to cut some stuff out =(

if you liked awakening, you should track down thracia 776. it's slightly harder but you'll probably like it.

Razzer

Welp I made my GOTY post.

Hope it doesn't come off to fanboyish, I really struggled to explain what I meant in ways people who haven't played the game would understand. For what it's worth, the reason I only have 3 games is I only played 3 from this year. Guess I picked wisely.

Edit: I love the time and eternity bit of your post Schala.

Edit 2: My favourite streamer is on his 50th attempt in a row at the final boss of Metal gear rising... is it really that hard?

Noi

Depends on the difficulty of your first time through. I played it on Hard and managed to do everything just fine until I got to Sundowner (which took a few tries) and the final boss (which look like 2-3 hours worth of attempts until I finally won).

Guys, I found Nocturnowl

iPuYSPJR0we9u.gif

SJS

if you liked awakening, you should track down thracia 776. it's slightly harder but you'll probably like it.

Do you like seeing people suffer? Serious question.

(By the way, Awakening is a mediocre FE. 6, 7, and 9 are solid and relatively modern.)

OMG Aero

Since people are talking about GOTY I think I'll have a look at the NeoGAF GOTY thread, that will be an interesting rea-
Horror Game of the Year: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon = 161 points, 23 honorable mentions
2. StreetPass: Monster Manor = 8 points, 2 honorable mentions
ahahahahahahahahahaha

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I feel like Awakening ended up being mediocre in the end. The best portable game in recent years for that series is Heroes of Light and Shadow because it's more balanced. I had more fun playing it than FE Awakening in some spots. Before mjemirzian was banned, he'd kindly linked me to his review of it which was fairly succinct and expanded well on why the game itself was balanced enough with enough content for everyone.

However, certain things can be easily exploitable on higher difficulty settings, and FEA has the better UI, imo.

Anyway, I like Thracia 776 and Seisen no Keifu the best. Eh. I'm old.

Guys, I found Nocturnowl
is this what you were doing when you were away from gaf, lol

Welp I made my GOTY post.

Hope it doesn't come off to fanboyish, I really struggled to explain what I meant in ways people who haven't played the game would understand. For what it's worth, the reason I only have 3 games is I only played 3 from this year. Guess I picked wisely.

Edit: I love the time and eternity bit of your post Schala.
Nope, good post. You made a really good argument for Dota 2 in there.

And lol, I think a lot of people did going by some of the feedback I got.

Since we're pimping out lists, here's mine if you haven't seen it already:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97629371&postcount=2017
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97629557&postcount=2021

Not be the best stuff I've written, but w/e. I was getting kinda sick by the end of it.

Ahaha at those horror game of the year votes.

Edit: Ni no Kuni salt from me.

Tizoc

I am mad satly at the lack of SMT games being released in EU >=/
OK Soul Hackers is available BUT I WANT TO TRY THIS SMT4 GAME EVERYONE HYPES ABOUT!

My GotY recommendations tell me that the next game I should be playing (outside of the ones have already played of course) is Etrian Odyssey IV which is funny, why I just tried the demo two days ago. After making my lovely little team and going through the more tutorial like mission I flew out into the great unknown only to be completely savaged by some rats or something in the first area I discovered.....welp, I don't think this game is for me as much as I dig the audiovisual presentation.

But hey maybe my role playing luck would turn around with Bravely Default, the next demo on my list. As soon as I gained character control I immediately ended up leaving the town you're placed in and stepped out into the overworld, against my better judgement I moseyed on down to some intriguing tower to get a taste of the games battle system. And what did greet me in this dank dungeon, A MAGICIAN OWL, he had a robe and it was glorious. Unfortunately the fun stopped here because I seemingly had in fact taken a step into the wrong side of town where I deal 20 damage to enemies with 600 HP that just one shotted me. Quite possibly the best one two punch of JRPG demos I could've experienced, brutal humiliation on both accounts.

Guys, I found Nocturnowl

iPuYSPJR0we9u.gif
That's just how I get my kicks.

Tizoc

I really need to stop lurking GAF at times when I could be trying out game demos or reading some stuff.
Plan for tonight: Play Freedom Planet demo again, play some tales of xillia, then grind in Magic 2014 while downloading my Steam PnC games.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, I feel like Awakening ended up being mediocre in the end. The best portable game in recent years for that series is Heroes of Light and Shadow because it's more balanced. I had more fun playing it than FE Awakening in some spots. Before mjemirzian was banned, he'd kindly linked me to his review of it which was fairly succinct and expanded well on why the game itself was balanced enough with enough content for everyone.

However, certain things can be easily exploitable on higher difficulty settings, and FEA has the better UI, imo.

Anyway, I like Thracia 776 and Seisen no Keifu the best. Eh. I'm old.

FE12 is definitely much more balanced, though I think I preferred Awakening slightly despite the wonky balance since it incorporated a lot of subsystems I liked from previous entries. Plus I just really adore the character art, visuals (UI and models), and music in Awakening.

I do hope since they remade FE1 and FE3 that they'll go back and remake 4 and 5 with the Awakening engine (with some modifications).

Also I had no idea Attack of the Friday Monsters was made by Level-5 and didn't know it was actually any good.

All Dark Tomes seemed useless compared to a dodge happy Tharja wielding Nosferatu if I recall.

I never thought much of the magic triangle and didn't even note it was missing but that's possibly because I'm mainly thinking of FE9 where one upping another mages element was kind of pointless since their resistance was usually high enough that it meant far less then just simply cramming an axe into their skull.

I don't play any FEs, so I keep thinking "Dark Tomes" is being used derogatorily for Schala's posts, shame on you guys
You saw through my facade, after reading through the four SotY tomes in succession I felt as if my strength and concentration had taken a hit as well as half my evening, Dark (Schala) tomes indeed.

Also Dark Fliers and Dark Knights not being able to use Dark magic was kind of baffling. :lol
Oh yeah, this was an odd thing to say the least.
Of course I didn't notice this until after I purchased more magic for my newly classed Dark Flier.

PKrockin

The balance was the big issue that kept me from enjoying Awakening as much as 7. Awakening is either so easy the strategy focus becomes pointless, or so hard you pretty much have to grind. I like the series better when they balance the game for the limited gold, experience, level ups, and opportunities the chapters offer. Grinding supports, endlessly reclassing for skills, children, and all that more min-maxing sort of stuff is probably better suited for something like Disgaea.

FSLink

Banned
The balance was the big issue that kept me from enjoying Awakening as much as 7. Awakening is either so easy the strategy focus becomes pointless, or so hard you pretty much have to grind. I like the series better when they balance the game for the limited gold, experience, level ups, and opportunities the chapters offer. Grinding supports, endlessly reclassing for skills, children, and all that more min-maxing sort of stuff is probably better suited for something like Disgaea.

Yeah, it probably is more suited to Disgaea, though I still enjoyed it. I definitely rank FE4, FE5, FE6, FE7, FE9, and FE10 over it.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #112

Song: Tricky Maze... for Lost World
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Fumie Kumatani

Piano: Yutaka Minobe

Uniquely ominous and foreboding. Lost World seems like a level the development team really put in an effort to push the boundaries of the series with. It's loaded with new ideas and structures that take advantage of the 3D space in a way that couldn't be easily translated back to 2D. The music treads new ground in turn; the lead strings wouldn't sound out of place in, say, Temple of Doom, although the harmony keeps it rooted as distinctly Sonic.

BlackJace

Uniquely ominous and foreboding. Lost World seems like a level the development team really put in an effort to push the boundaries of the series with. It's loaded with new ideas and structures that take advantage of the 3D space in a way that couldn't be easily translated back to 2D. The music treads new ground in turn; the lead strings wouldn't sound out of place in, say, Temple of Doom, although the harmony keeps it rooted as distinctly Sonic.

I absolutely hated this stage, the Chaos mural scene at the end was sort of unsettling to me as a child lol. But the stage's music was great. The Temple of Doom analogue is quite apt.

Oh hey, it's the actually decent Lost World, not the incredibly-confused-I-wanna-be-a-Mario-game Lost World.

Razzer

Piano: Yutaka MinobeI

I believe one of new ideas you mention is the enclosed tunnel with fiery blocks coming out from all directions or the walk on walls panels. Both cool ideas and the idea of being able to run on the ceiling in a tunnel is one I wish the series would embrace more. It's there for a brief stini in green hill of modern generations as well, so teasing. As for the song I've always liked how it feels kind of relaxing and tense at the same time, depending on what section you concentrate on,

Also thanks for the assurance Schala. I just woke up so it's time to read some GOTY posts.

Lets not say things we can't take back, Sonic 3D Blast is tedious and its isometric platforming makes Lost World look like 3D World, the best use here of both 3D and World.

Sciz

I believe one of new ideas you mention is the enclosed tunnel with fiery blocks coming out from all directions or the walk on walls panels.

There's those, and the mirror light room, the boulder chase, and the snake room. Might be forgetting some others. Compared to the levels that are still moving spike balls and floating platforms around, Lost World's doing much more to explore the possibilities.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Sonic Blast :3c
I know.

Fumie Kumatani seems generally underrated these days. This is pretty good, and I think you're onto something with the Temple of Doom comparison.

Love that piano bit so much. I always loved that.

You saw through my facade, after reading through the four SotY tomes in succession I felt as if my strength and concentration had taken a hit as well as half my evening, Dark (Schala) tomes indeed.
I'm sorry. You learned something, right?
CQk4GoM.gif

I do hope since they remade FE1 and FE3 that they'll go back and remake 4 and 5 with the Awakening engine (with some modifications).

Also I had no idea Attack of the Friday Monsters was made by Level-5 and didn't know it was actually any good.
Yeah, I think the Awakening engine might serve FE4 and 5 well. Make it a little more balanced than Awakening was, and I think we could get something really neat. I moreso love FE4 for its villain, which I thought was one of the better villain in video games in general.

And I do feel like Awakening seems more palatable to most. Its appearance and what you could do in it might lend itself better to newcomers than FE12.

Attack of the Friday Monsters was the best game Level-5 released this year, imo, though it was designed by Kaz Ayabe (who does the My Summer Vacation simulation games for PS platforms). And I liked the Starship Damrey. That's why I usually like to say that Level-5 has a tendency to excel in things that aren't baked with a lot of mechanics, but their puzzles, art design, and general storytelling are really good --and that's where their best games tend to lie. I generally feel like when other people are in charge of the game design, Level-5's art direction tends to work.

I honestly wasn't expecting Schala here since she plays a bazillion more games than me haha.
I would've played a bazillion more if it weren't for that meddling deadline! >:O

But here, I'll post my shortlist. I actually had more honourable mentions but I was afraid of hitting a character limit in my second post:
1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
2. Device 6
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies
6. Papers, Please
7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
9. Bravely Default: For the Sequel
10. Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki

(Honourable mentions aren't ranked; I usually just throw them on there when I think of them)
x. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) <--- sooo close to being on my goty list
x. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
x. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS)
x. Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS)
x. Luigi&#8217;s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
x. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
x. Guacamelee! (PSV/PS3)
x. Tearaway (Vita)
x. Bit.Trip Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Vita)
x. Assassin&#8217;s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
x. Ridiculous Fishing (Android)
x. Cytus Lambda (Vita/Android)
x. Year Walk (iOS)
x. Rayman Fiesta Run (Android)
x. Tiny Thief (Android)
x. Gunpoint (PC)
x. Candy Box (PC)
x. The Stanley Parable (PC)
x. Winnie the Pooh: Homerun Derby (PC)

2012. Asura&#8217;s Wrath (PS3)*

*This vote was bought and paid for by Noi and OMGAero.

I'm sorry. You learned something, right?
CQk4GoM.gif
I learned that seeing my own post referenced in yours is an usually proud moment, it's like getting put over by the musical main eventer or at least confirmation that someone read my waffle.
It also reconfirms my theory that I can be tempted to buy games for their music, don't you worry, I'll return the favour in the 2014 thread...
with Tropical Freeze.

8yKza1I.jpg

I'll let you off since Azran Legacy wasn't released in America last year, just Europe.

It had the most dead OT I ever posted in and that made me kind of sad.
I guess the franchise fatigue was just too much for most.

FSLink

Banned
x. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) <--- sooo close to being on my goty list

I keep forgetting that came out in 2013. Crazy good, though I left it for Pokemon and I'm afraid to go back....surely by now my town will be weed infested and my house is being ran by roaches.

Need Layton 6 so bad. And Bravely Default. Damned region locking.

Also off topic but Powerpuff Girls marathon on CN~ :v

Noi

Bioshock Infinite getting second place is my personal "wut". So many better games out this year that such a zzzzzz shooter ranks so high, too crazy.

someone wanted me to post my goty list cause they like to read things so here, I took a break from video games to type it out. From bottom to top cause it's more exciting that way:

• NOI'S LIST OF VIDEO GAMES PLAYED IN 2013
The Dark Schala Award for Taking too long to play good games from last year:

sleepy6ayrv.png

I'm not particularly fond of the typical open world city genre. If I had to name two games that I really liked, it'd be Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2, both games that deviate from the norm established by the GTA series since GTA3 (a series that I've never been able to get into as well). So when Sleeping Dogs first game out in 2012, I didn't even give it a glance since it looked like every other crime gang simulator I'd given a shot but never liked. This changed when it was given away for free on PS+ in May, and I figured I may as well give it a whirl. I'm so glad I did.

Runner ups - Xenoblade, Spec Ops: The Line

The James Franco Award for Best Music:

tumblr_mzbq7dKOa51r59gv2o1_1280.jpg

I don't think I need to type more about this than other people already have about Metal Gear Rising's soundtrack. I bought the OST on Amazon the day that I beat the game, burned a disc and it's been my ongoing background music to and from work, school, social outtings, etc. I'll probably never get tired of listening to the whole thing, and for good reason.

sogoodzksvj.gif

Runner ups - Assassin's Creed 4 (Shanties are the best), Tearaway (Thank god the OST was free), Guacamelee! (not biased or anything seriously), Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (How to make a creepy soundtrack 101)

The Time and Eternity Award for Most Boring Game:

miwxza40ik6x.jpg

I've talked about this snoozefest before. The Joker bits are the best thing about it and even THAT can't save this technically ok but really dull game.

Runner ups - Project X Zone, Time and Eternity

The Asura's Wrath Award for Most Intense Game:

AcwWFfg.png

I played through The Last of Us on the second to hardest difficulty out of fear of the default being too easy (and only because the last one is locked at the beginning). I'm glad I chose to do so, cause the end result was a fantastic time in every single enemy encounter, where I quickly had to learn how to pick my battles, make split second decisions, sneak right in the face of the enemy in order to get past stuff and just plain out survive some ridiculous situations. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Runner Ups - Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Assassin's Creed 4

The Swing and a Miss Award for Game I wish was better than it was:

peYxonx.png

Fire Emblem Awakening is a game that I appreciate as a one time thing, but dread what it's repercussions will be for the future of the series. It's a game that changes a lot of how the series works, some things for the better but a lot for the worse. I fear that the end result that led to Awakening's creation (and it selling way better than most other entries) will lead to foregoing the well-thought of design of previous entries in favor of Awakening's "toss in everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy. Only time will tell, I guess.

Runner ups - Rune Factory 4, Knack

Stinker of the Year Award for Most Disappointing Game:

Vs62kCn.jpg

Me and others have railed on this game enough in the past. I genuinely don't know how it keeps finding itself on GOTY and best seller lists. I bought the game off of someone else for $20 and I still feel like I overpaid for it. Genuinely one of the worst RPG gameplay systems I've ever experienced, boring fetch quests and an overall feeling of the game having absolutely no respect for my time as a player. Level 5 at it's worst.

Runner ups - DmC: Devil May Cry, Ducktales: Remastered

actual top 10 list coming next

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm really happy you ended up playing Sleepy Dawgs because I wouldn't have been able to have shown you this video otherwise.

And I'm glad you got me to play Assassin's Creed 4 since the shanties are super-awesome to hear and I have sheet music for some of those.

booooo ni no kuni booooooooooo

I'll let you off since Azran Legacy wasn't released in America last year, just Europe.

Glad to see the cheque went through in time.
Yasha's da bessssss

Yeah, I'm getting Azran Legacy when it comes out. Is it better than the Layton games post-3?

I learned that seeing my own post referenced in yours is an usually proud moment, it's like getting put over by the musical main eventer or at least confirmation that someone read my waffle.
It also reconfirms my theory that I can be tempted to buy games for their music, don't you worry, I'll return the favour in the 2014 thread...
with Tropical Freeze.
Boooo. But I think I might start doing that from now on. For the past two years, I didn't explicitly name people I'd discussed games/soundtracks with because I used to repost my lists elsewhere. Since I don't do that anymore, I decided to do that. Going by the feedback I got, people seemed to really like being mentioned in my text, so I'll continue doing that.

I basically read every post in those threads, so I'd like to provide feedback to some users in some way.

I keep forgetting that came out in 2013. Crazy good, though I left it for Pokemon and I'm afraid to go back....surely by now my town will be weed infested and my house is being ran by roaches.
I wonder how that new PPG show is going to be. I really liked the old animation better. then again, I watched PPGZ for a while.

Oh man, that's why I keep playing AC. I put way too much work and time into my town to make everything go wild. I finally grew my flowers back with some help from qq more and Bean, so I really don't want my town to go to ruin.

Top Bottom