• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm pretty sure that's the same postmortem that Anihawk's torn to pieces in here before.
I forwarded the postmortem to him a few months ago, and he's been wanting to tear it to pieces for a while.

I played the demo and couldn't stand it.

Just not for me, and money/time is tight anyway.
RPG demos are usually terrible. I've never played the demo because I ended up playing the Japanese version anyway, but the full game is more balanced from what I'm hearing of the usual complaints of it. With that said the game itself isn't perfect. Far from it.

post was needlessly confrontational. Really don't mean to bring that kinda shit in here

oughta keep things mellow
After some thinking, I handled it stupidly, just like I handle a lot of things stupidly. I'm really sorry if I offended you or anyone else, or anything. If you still have issues, feel free to PM because at least I'll check those for the next month (though with my scheduling, it'll take me a while to get back to you).

I'll scale back on posting stuff like that (and post in general for a while, I guess) in this thread. I'm really sorry.

It's certainly some bullshit worth tearing apart, anyway. Games are not inherently better because they're darker and grittier. The sooner the industry realizes that, the better.

I mean, okay, fine, most games aren't rated M, or even rated T, but it sure feels like most of the big games pushed at Sony and Microsoft's conferences, year-in/year-out, lean that way. If they are showing E-rated games, it's either sports-related, is incredibly shallow, or is completely lacking in character. It's why I thought Knack looked pretty good, since it was at least an attempt at a kid-friendly game that looked interesting - shame it ultimately fell into the "is incredibly shallow" part.

Noi

Eh, Sony does plenty of E-stuff. That it gets ignored is another thing entirely. In the past year alone there was GT6, Sly 4, Ratchet, Puppeteer, Rain, Doki Doki Universe, and Sound Shapes (not first party, but they sure as hell push this game a lot despite that).

OMG Aero

With that said, I'd like to know what other people think about loosening the unwritten fanart policy in this thread before we get into that. If no one likes this idea at all in the first place, we won't bother doing it. I realize that to some this is basically opening a can of worms, but I think the people who post in this thread have good judgement.
If people want to post stuff they've made that's great, but personally I don't like when community threads devolve into people posting fanart they've found from the internet. If I wanted to look at random Sonic fanart I could search that out myself and I don't find that it adds anything to a discussion other than:
"Here is a picture of Sonic I found"
"That sure is a good/bad picture of Sonic you posted!"

But hey I'm in the minority on this so what do I know.

Razzer

Eh, Sony does plenty of E-stuff. That it gets ignored is another thing entirely. In the past year alone there was GT6, Sly 4, Ratchet, Puppeteer, Rain, Doki Doki Universe, and Sound Shapes (not first party, but they sure as hell push this game a lot despite that).

Yeah, I think it just seems as though they don't care because the market watching shows like E3 etc will not typically be that audience (obviously generalizing a bit), so they don't show them off there much. But in other avenues they do market them. Microsoft though, other than the Kinect push they did for a while don't seem to be that interested, particularly since rare got put on party game duty.

AniHawk

I'm pretty sure that's the same postmortem that Anihawk's torn to pieces in here before.

i talked about an interview with jason rubin before. this was different. schala sent it to me over a month ago, and i sat on it until the most recent jak ii thread.

this was my take on it. i didn't want to repost the entire thing, so i kept it to the good parts.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96488585&postcount=150

i don't think naughty dog has thought their shit smelled any worse over the last few years. they've just gone from bad to good, so they're able to keep this attitude and people will generally agree with them.

Well at least now I know that loading contributed to Haven City being a maze like clusterfuck of shitacular design.

Hang on a sec, I just spotted this in Anihawk's most recent damning of Jak 2...
Making the huge city hub for JAK II (20 times the size of a single JAK AND DAXTER level) was a massive undertaking but well worth the investment. By adding this "game within a game" to the platform experience, we hoped to create a new expression of the genre. The sense of place and purpose was designed to keep the player plugged into the world as never before. Gamers weren't just playing a succession of platform levels; they were visiting a "breathing" universe.
tumblr_mtuf7gK7TC1sdrkcao1_250.gif

Regiruler

RPG demos are usually terrible. I've never played the demo because I ended up playing the Japanese version anyway, but the full game is more balanced from what I'm hearing of the usual complaints of it. With that said the game itself isn't perfect. Far from it.

It's the artstyle mostly, which is something that I'm fairly sure doesn't change to the main game.

I'm sure the gameplay is good if I invest time into it, I just don't like stat-based RPGs in anything that doesn't have some sort of action component (Pokemon isn't necessarily as stat-based).

Sciz

BlackJace

It's the artstyle mostly, which is something that I'm fairly sure doesn't change to the main game.

I'm sure the gameplay is good if I invest time into it, I just don't like stat-based RPGs in anything that doesn't have some sort of action component (Pokemon isn't necessarily as stat-based).

I don't know man, Pokemon has a lot of numbers behind those cute little guys. It was only recently that my friend who's into competitive play showed me this. It's crazy how much the fanbase has mined out of the battle system.

Regiruler

I don't know man, Pokemon has a lot of numbers behind those cute little guys. It was only recently that my friend who's into competitive play showed me this. It's crazy how much the fanbase has mined out of the battle system.

Not what I mean: Pokemon up-front is simple and easy to understand (I understand that there is incredibly amounts of math behind it, which is fine). A full-blown rpg with stats, jobs, and piles and piles of items is essentially complicated from the get-go.

Like Schala said, it probably wasn't a good demo and the game probably starts much slower, but the artstyle already drove me away.

BlackJace

Not what I mean: Pokemon up-front is simple and easy to understand (I understand that there is incredibly amounts of math behind it, which is fine). A full-blown rpg with stats, jobs, and piles and piles of items is essentially complicated from the get-go.

Like Schala said, it probably wasn't a good demo and the game probably starts much slower, but the artstyle already drove me away.

oh, I get what you mean now.

Falk

that puzzling face
So there's Global Game Jam going on this weekend, and someone in my Berklee network managed to secure a bunch of radio slots (radio will be broadcasted throughout the event, est. 17,000 attendees across the globe) and a bunch of music by some of the Sonic BTS/ATS guys is part of the set..

So far I know Pejman (Funk Fiction) is on at ~6PM EST on Friday, James (KgZ) is on ~5AM EST Saturday and Andy Tunstall and I will be on at ~6PM EST Saturday. Bunch of stuff mixed up with a 2min interview.

This is amidst a bunch of other Berklee alum, so hopefully it's not too out of place. It's pretty much a 'hey these guys wanna compose music for your game jam game' deal, but considering what's sprung out of game jams over the years it might be a great way to make contacts for future gigs.

Sciz

Just read Sonic Universe #60.

Okay, seriously, why is Omega so awesome?

I'm telling you, this is pretty tame by his usual standards.

Thanks to Ian Flynn, we now know the official name for the world Sonic lives on:
"Sonic's World".
...wait, what?

I guess that explains why that line in Colors ended up the way that it did, but... why, Sega?

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #119

Song: S-Team #1
Show: Sonic X
Composer: Yoshihiro Ike

The first episode of Sonic X had everything the series needed to be great: An assault on an Eggman base, Sonic exploring an unfamiliar new world, Sonic mocking the establishment, Sonic getting into high speed chases, and loads of cool music. And then Chris crashed the party at the end and the whole thing immediately plunged into a death spiral from which it never recovered. Alas.

But hey, back to the cool music. I dunno how or why the city ever found the budget for a high speed police squad, but the S-Team got to live the dream and be stylish as hell in the process, in no small part thanks to getting two of the series' best themes. This one's for the montage that sets them up as being serious guys who mean business, and man, listen to it. It's got a steady, methodical, mechanical beat that drives home how these aren't your regular cops like the ones Sonic just finished making fools of, these are the real pros with sweet cars, and the back half lets you hear them purr along like the finely tuned machines they are. And then Sonic makes fools of all of them too because he's the star and that's just how he rolls.

Razzer

Awesome stuff. Feels properly badass, the intro is kinda heroicc yet tense, if you get my drift, and then the faster beat kicks in when it's time for action, aww yeah. I haven't heard this in years and never outside the show so this is a nice find for me. Well done Sciz.

Not gonna lie, the staccato(?) part starting at 1:48 is what sold me on Sonic X's soundtrack, when I checked the subs out one time... and its absence in the dub is what made me refuse to watch it beyond the first episode.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sonic X had amazing music all around. It was like a cross section of the Dreamcast era duct taped to anime music.

Tizoc

Wtaching your vid Sega1991 and a few quick things-
1- I personally liked Rocket Knight on PSN/XBL, and have played the orginal RK GAME on the Genesis, while I'd put the Genesis game as being better the latest one wasn't so bad and IIRC, it sold well.

2- Castle of Illusion HD isn't that bad...

3- What software do you use to record stuff on your PC? Fraps, Hyeprcam etc. And for that matter what video editting software do you use.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #120

Song: Special Stage
Game: Sonic Pocket Adventure
Composer: Takushi Hiyamuta or "maitaro", who no one seems to have been able to connect to a real name

For those who haven't played it, which I assume is most people because seriously it's on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, Pocket Adventure is a strange little 8-bit mashup of mostly Sonic 2 aesthetics and Sonic 3 music, and it's better than it has any right to be. In a couple cases the sound staff had the chance to get creative, though; the special stage is also nicked from Sonic 2, but the comparatively relaxed pace of Sonic 3's special stage theme doesn't fit the nail-biting intensity of 2's gameplay, and that's the story of how Sonic 3's title screen got promoted to stage music.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #120

Song: Special Stage
Game: Sonic Pocket Adventure
Composer: Takushi Hiyamuta or "maitaro", who no one seems to have been able to connect to a real name

Huh, this is... interesting. Can't say I like some of the tones, though it may be the underwhelming sound chip. The tune is nice and lively though I guess. Pretty average overall if you ask me.

Wtaching your vid Sega1991 and a few quick things-
1- I personally liked Rocket Knight on PSN/XBL, and have played the orginal RK GAME on the Genesis, while I'd put the Genesis game as being better the latest one wasn't so bad and IIRC, it sold well.

2- Castle of Illusion HD isn't that bad...

3- What software do you use to record stuff on your PC? Fraps, Hyeprcam etc. And for that matter what video editting software do you use.

Castle of Illusion isn't that bad, you're right, but if I'm going to do the category and have something else tangentially related, it should probably be a runner-up, right? Though, admittedly, if I wasn't giving it to Rocket Knight I wouldn't bother mentioning Mickey.

I use a lot of different software for video stuff. This is going to get complicated, fast:

For console footage, I use an Easycap USB 2.0 through S-video. I record it using a program called AmarecTV, which captures in uncompressed 480i.

Amarec can deinterlace the footage to make it progressive scan, but it doesn't work 100% well with my Easycap (some weird field dominance thing, I don't entirely understand it). So what I do is I take the 640x480 interlaced footage and I run it through VirtualDub, which has a really nice deinterlacing algorithm. I use some other VirtualDub plugins to clean up the video a little bit (reduce noise, sharpen the signal, tweak colors and contrast, etc.), resize it to the correct aspect ratio (854x480) and then usually transcode it to XVID at a bitrate of 9998kbps. This usually reduces the uncompressed file from something like 4gb+ down to under 900mb while making sure it still looks nice and clear.

Then I take the footage and drop it in to Sony Vegas, which is like the next step down in complexity from Adobe Premiere (both are production-quality video editing suites). Transcoding to XVID in particular is important because Vegas is crap at dealing with MP4 codecs and it seems to handle XVID better than most other H.264 derivatives.

Once the video is complete the final render is encoded using X.264 at a bitrate of between 3000kbps and 5000kbps.

Been meaning to drum up a new video about this whole process, as I have a really old, outdated version, but I just haven't gotten around to doing the new one yet.

Capturing footage from PC games is super simple as I just use FRAPS, yeah.

Woah. Woah. Woah. Nicktoons Unite was decent, okay?

As I was writing that in to the script I intuitively knew that somebody was going to call me on that game specifically.

Razzer

BlackJace
Banned
(Today, 01:37 PM)

welp

On a related note, if we've got any lurking juniors who'd like a "how not to post on GAF" guide, give this thread a read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758054

That thread is a fucking graveyard. And it's a shame because some of the people there I know to be good posters, but in threads like that you have to tread real careful before things explode into an argument and you find yourself posting something you regret.

I'm still not entirely sure what the entire banning criteria was for that thread, most of it I get but then others seem like a bit of a stretch, every time I think i've made a connection a surviving posters post throws me back off the trail.

PKrockin

Looks like a lot of bannings for "reaction image dot jaypeg" and "here we go" and a bunch more for unsubstantive posts that aren't uncommon in most other threads. Guess the mods got mad.

I'm more confused why everyone reacted as if he just started a thread about tipping a doctor for a circumsicion on OT. What was so special about that OP?

Sciz

I'm more confused why everyone reacted as if he just started a thread about tipping a doctor for a circumsicion on OT. What was so special about that OP?

Zealots on both sides are all wound up thanks to the console launches, which makes creating an "us vs them" type thread a bad idea to begin with. The OP was created in response to a series of fairly reductive quotes that didn't properly express reality to begin with. Instead of making some sort of measured counterargument against them, he basically went "PROVE THIS" and posted a bunch of canned gifs instead of raising any specific talking points himself. There's a somewhat legitimate point to be made there, but it should have been structured more in terms of "where are all the PC games doing these great-looking particle and volumetric effects?" instead of saying "PCs don't do this!" and dismissing the image quality half of the visuals argument out of hand.

And then when people did post examples, he abruptly grabbed the goalposts and ran under the claim that mods and optional physics effects don't count, even though that sort of stuff is one of the strengths of the platform.

It was a hostile, poorly structured and poorly thought out thread from a guy who'd already made up his mind and has a history of jumping straight to conclusions without engaging in proper discourse.

Razzer

Zealots on both sides are all wound up thanks to the console launches, which makes creating an "us vs them" type thread a bad idea to begin with. The OP was created in response to a series of fairly reductive quotes that didn't properly express reality to begin with. Instead of making some sort of measured counterargument against them, he basically went "PROVE THIS" and posted a bunch of canned gifs instead of raising any specific talking points himself. There's a somewhat legitimate point to be made there, but it should have been structured more in terms of "where are all the PC games doing these great-looking particle and volumetric effects?" instead of saying "PCs don't do this!" and dismissing the image quality half of the visuals argument out of hand.

And then when people did post examples, he abruptly grabbed the goalposts and ran under the claim that mods and optional physics effects don't count, even though that sort of stuff is one of the strengths of the platform.

It was a hostile, poorly structured and poorly thought out thread from a guy who'd already made up his mind and has a history of jumping straight to conclusions without engaging in proper discourse.

To add to this, there were some people trolling, and in typical fashion a few didn't realize they were and reacted very hostile to them. A general atmosphere of hostility was created.

Top Bottom