• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

HUELEN10

6n6e0CJ.png

I'd use the Rush The Cat One, but Marine had to cover part of her up...

Rikkun

Schala forgive me please.
Jz58OtZ.jpg

It was under £6 if I didn't buy it it's like I'm losing money.

If it's any consolation there is approximately 0.0005% chance of me ever getting around and playing it.

Oh god where way show me the way

And FFS please tell me I can remote play it I need the TV to compute.

Was coming to post about Bosman, but I see that's been covered.

It's only about an hour long. Might as well get it over with.

Here, have a trailer.

Oh man, I forget how much I love that OVA sometimes. The funny thing is that it was clearly low-budget, and yet still of an era where some really talented animators would draw out very difficult angles and motions all by hand, ridiculously-detailed backgrounds... And they did such a great job of making the battle between Sonic and Metal Sonic so badass, even down to throwing in a few twists and an interesting conclusion.

Just... watch it subtitled. The English dub hurts me every time I hear it.

Tizoc

Apparently 3D SEGA Classics on 3DS count towards GotY voting poll, can anyone confirm this? The first post isn't very specific about it and I can't access the .excel file at work.

FYC

Banned
Apparently 3D SEGA Classics on 3DS count towards GotY voting poll, can anyone confirm this? The first post isn't very specific about it and I can't access the .excel file at work.

Just checked the spreadsheet, yup, 3D Classics are a go.

Also, I dug up my PSP and Sonic Rivals, which I never really played much when I was younger. I'm...Not really digging it so far, but I'll probably keep going. I quite like the boss music.

E: Actually, after finishing Sonic's story I have to say I really enjoy the soundtrack as a whole.

Tizoc

Just checked the spreadsheet, yup, 3D Classics are a go.

Also, I dug up my PSP and Sonic Rivals, which I never really played much when I was younger. I'm...Not really digging it so far, but I'll probably keep going. I quite like the boss music.

E: Actually, after finishing Sonic's story I have to say I really enjoy the soundtrack as a whole.

Then I guess I'm swapping out Guacamelee for 3D Shinobi III~
...now I just need to actually USE the gurad button =V

Pietepiet

Edit:

I want qq more, pietepiet, and anyone else in here who I know dabbles in pixels and sprites to tell me what they think of this screenshot because i don't know

Yeah I have no idea what the hell they were thinking. I don't mind that it's not pixel-art anymore, but this is not the way to upres these games.

Tizoc

Could someone post how SEGA's financials looked from the Genesis era til the cancelationof the Dreamcast? I recall that during the DC era they were losing a lot.

Sciz

I just couldn't let the Kondo and Yakota slander slide, I had to have my passive vengeance.

Who's this Yakota clown, sounds like a one-hit wonder like Senuoe.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #110

Song: Boss
Game: Sonic 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1
Composer: Jun Senoue

Some things should be left forgotten. I'm sure Senoue's thought process ran something like "hey, I'm writing Genesis style music, right? And this is an actual Genesis track! It's perfect!" and his standards had slipped enough in the interim that he forgot why it wasn't used in the first place. The original version even sounds better, thanks to having a neat timpani effect and not having Sonic 4's synths. But... it's a circus theme. It's not the worst composition in the world, but for a dramatic showdown with a boss machine, it doesn't even begin to suit the atmosphere. Not that Episode 2 axing it for the 8 second enrage loop was any better.

I'm such a fan of Yokota that I got his name wrong in my gleeful state, now let us have no more conversation about this bizarre cover up.

I think I'll take Eggman's Synth Circus Act over the 8 second loop of soul destruction compounded further by Ep2 having unreasonably long bosses, it's really a case of picking your poison, I guess the same goes for which episode of Sonic 4 you'd choose to play as well.

TheOGB

Banned
I think that theme would have worked if they went with one of the sillier Eggman concepts

But they didn't

So now we have this shit

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pimpin' in the alley was taken down? End of an era.

That boss theme isn't very good. The 3D Blast version was slightly better, but they should've taken their inspiration from somewhere else because it just doesn't fit.

Did I write that I finished Bravely Default while I was banned and that the second half of the game ain't so hot in terms of pacing and design because you're basically (post-chapter 4 spoilers)
doing the same things over and over for a few chapters and they're basically boss refights? Because that's what you do. I wouldn't advise skipping over the sidequest boss refights, either, because you get extra story, and in Chapter 7 you get good steals. In Chapter 8, you get to go through a gauntlet of refights.
. With that said, the True Final Chapter is a fantastic finale. Really great, and I loved how everything came together in terms of some of the game's certain mechanics in the end.

imo, they should've just cut chapters 5 and 7 and condensed some of the sub-character narrative in chapters 6 and 8. The point could have been made with less, basically. Knowing that the writer also wrote Steins;Gate, I can see what he was going for, but in terms of a game's structure, this works moreso for a VN because you can FF through dialogue and scenes and keep multiple saves in order to 100% the game. It doesn't exactly work as well in an RPG. In fact, this sort of thing ends up smacking of tiresome design in an RPG. But really no problem in a VN.

Buuuuut the job system, despite being easy to exploit (because you can put together several combos where you can never get hit during boss fights), was fun to play with and the community aspect was really neat. The secret Bravely Second movie was good, too. I ended up having fun with it, second half aside. I was so ready to give it GotY until I got to the second half, and now I have to put it lower. Looking forward to Bravely Second if they improve on that.

Tizoc

Finally got around to trying the Freedom Planet demo yesterday.
Music is superb, but the thing I disliked the most is that the forest stage, for example, felt long. Granted one would be able to beat it in under 10 minutes, but I would've prefered if it was split into 2 or 3 acts like the Sonic games.
I really liked the visuals and how well the controls responded, like the part where you are being chased by a boulder while playing as the blue character. I was playing on keyboard, and thankfully her 'charge' attack didn't slow her down at start up.

Overall I like it, but would prefer if stages were split into acts, though that's just me. Will try the green character later today.

Tizoc

Making progress in Labyrnith Zone in Sonic 1 on 3DS, but man does Sonic move like a snail.
Also what's up with some of the weird 'glitches' I'm seeing? Normally SOnic's jump has him curl into a ball but in some locations in that Zone his jump has him do his standing/walking animation instead.

Oh and 2 or 3 times now I've got the timer and managed to get a bubble by the last second, I kept cursing everytime it plays XP.
...but seriously fuck Labyrinth Zone, I appreciate it as a platformer stage, but fuck it all the same.

EDIT: Oh and what's up with those 'faces' you seein the background and some of the tiles?

Making progress in Labyrnith Zone in Sonic 1 on 3DS, but man does Sonic move like a snail.
Also what's up with some of the weird 'glitches' I'm seeing? Normally SOnic's jump has him curl into a ball but in some locations in that Zone his jump has him do his standing/walking animation instead.

Oh and 2 or 3 times now I've got the timer and managed to get a bubble by the last second, I kept cursing everytime it plays XP.
...but seriously fuck Labyrinth Zone, I appreciate it as a platformer stage, but fuck it all the same.

EDIT: Oh and what's up with those 'faces' you seein the background and some of the tiles?

The jump you described has always been in Sonic 1. I forget the technical reason it occurs, but any time Sonic is positioned with a tile in a specific way, he'll do that "walk-jump" instead of a normal spinball maneuver. It usually happens to me most often in Marble Zone, when you're crossing the lava.

Tizoc

Ah I see, well I thought it was a little interesting IMO, but nothing major.
I really suck at Sonic 1, but I like how it feels like a noraml platformer.
...I keep losing my rings every 5-10 seconds though.

Oh, hey, an on-going SA LP of the Sonic game with SonicGAF's favorite soundtrack. Interesting, I've never had the... pleasure of playing this. Might be a good way to experience it.

Also found one for SRB2. Kind of amusing, watching the LPer defend the game while the guests insist it looks awful.

Finally got around to trying the Freedom Planet demo yesterday.
Music is superb, but the thing I disliked the most is that the forest stage, for example, felt long. Granted one would be able to beat it in under 10 minutes, but I would've prefered if it was split into 2 or 3 acts like the Sonic games.
I really liked the visuals and how well the controls responded, like the part where you are being chased by a boulder while playing as the blue character. I was playing on keyboard, and thankfully her 'charge' attack didn't slow her down at start up.

Overall I like it, but would prefer if stages were split into acts, though that's just me. Will try the green character later today.
Glad to know you liked it, although I'll warn you that the stages only get longer (although I never felt too bothered by it; it'd take me only around 20-40 minutes at worst to get through it first time around, and subsequent runs tend to be a lot shorter).

It actually kind of is divided into Acts, though; once the music changes, you're in Act 2. Dunno if the game will save that in any sense (can't hurt to ask Strife, I guess) in the final product, if you need to leave the game mid-stage for any reason.

The jump you described has always been in Sonic 1. I forget the technical reason it occurs, but any time Sonic is positioned with a tile in a specific way, he'll do that "walk-jump" instead of a normal spinball maneuver. It usually happens to me most often in Marble Zone, when you're crossing the lava.
Yeah, I think it happens to me the most when I'm riding those green blocks left in Marble Zone Act 2. I think you can also do it fairly consistently with the blue rocks in Green Hill Zone, by pushing up against them and jumping, but I might be misremembering.

BHZ Mayor

Yeah, I think it happens to me the most when I'm riding those green blocks left in Marble Zone Act 2. I think you can also do it fairly consistently with the blue rocks in Green Hill Zone, by pushing up against them and jumping, but I might be misremembering.
I think it happened to me every time with the first blue rock with the spring leading to lower path in Green Hill Act 2.

Sciz

Oh, hey, an on-going SA LP of the Sonic game with SonicGAF's favorite soundtrack. Interesting, I've never had the... pleasure of playing this. Might be a good way to experience it.

That all looks right. Not the worst game, but far too janky to be a good one. Wonder if he'll stumble across how broken Sonic/Amy/Cream/Omega is.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #111

Song: Route 99 Act 1
Game: Sonic Advance 3
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Once Tokoi has a good thing going, he sticks with it. Route 99 could be a lost Battle track, being so similar to Emerald Beach that you might mistake one for the other at a moment's notice. He's one of the few people to really master the GBA's sound capabilities though, so I don't begrudge him the recycling, not when the piece is already good enough that even a Mario & Sonic mix isn't necessarily better.

Kokonoe

Banned
I want to make a note that I'm tired of the whole judging others for having a good time going on in the IRC. You want to be super serious all of the time? That's fine, but don't rain other people's parades because of this. The IRC is suppose to be an enjoyable place for people to chat, if everything is so stiff and cynical all the time then what would be the point in having one? There wouldn't be.

There are so many other venues to be 'serious' over any drop of detail of media, I'd rather not SonicGAF IRC turn into some place people are arguing with each other all of the time. I don't want it to conform to the mentality of internet forums.

On the other hand, I don't like how IRC has suddenly become a dumping ground for spam, either. I don't need to see you repeat the same thing over and over again for pages on end, nor for you to split a single sentence over several single-word lines. That just drowns out other discussions, honestly.

That said, what I'm saying does not contradict what Kokonoe's saying. You can have a good time without spamming the chat up. (I am kind of curious as to what spurred this post, though.)

qq more

In all fairness, the spam usually occurs when no one is really saying anything, so there wasn't much of a discussion to begin with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know.

I'd rather keep discussion about IRC and GAF separate.

But whatever. My ass is feeling pretty moody in general, so do whatever you want.

Good idea: Not everyone frequents IRC, and we have lurkers in the IRC anyway who might not read the thread as often. If you have complaints about the IRC, maybe voice how you feel in there to everyone at the time or whenever you feel that people who grind your gears are in there and just say it to their face. This thread doesn't feel like the place.

Tizoc

Anyone read else read Sonic #256?
Sally's back and packin' magical armlets! Good action and great character interaction I am ready for this new world.

You know.

I'd rather keep discussion about IRC and GAF separate.

But whatever. My ass is feeling pretty moody in general, so do whatever you want.

Good idea: Not everyone frequents IRC, and we have lurkers in the IRC anyway who might not read the thread as often. If you have complaints about the IRC, maybe voice how you feel in there to everyone at the time or whenever you feel that people who grind your gears are in there and just say it to their face. This thread doesn't feel like the place.

Agreed. Say your peace in the IRC if you have problems with said IRC.

OMG Aero

I want to make a note that I'm tired of the whole judging others for having a good time going on in the IRC. You want to be super serious all of the time? That's fine, but don't rain other people's parades because of this. The IRC is suppose to be an enjoyable place for people to chat, if everything is so stiff and cynical all the time then what would be the point in having one? There wouldn't be.

There are so many other venues to be 'serious' over any drop of detail of media, I'd rather not SonicGAF IRC turn into some place people are arguing with each other all of the time. I don't want it to conform to the mentality of internet forums.
I don't think you can make a post like this without elaborating on what fun other people are not letting you have.
They might be entirely justified.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've already said what I've had to say.

Come at me if you want to say something to me for saying to keep it out of the thread because I'll gladly welcome the discussion considering other people in the thread have said they would like to keep IRC issues out of the thread. I don't usually go in there anymore, so I feel completely lost about what the issue really is. And to be honest, my concentration is on the thread, so if you have issues with the thread, talk about it in the thread. If you have issues with the IRC, probably best to keep it there and be upfront about it and take your issue to the person who you're ticked off with in there.

Razzer

didn't even notice that typo lol

People have different tastes, shocker. I wouldn't call anyone "uptight" over it, especially when you've got people airing their IRC grievances in the thread.

I don't have context as I don't go to the IRC but that looks like QQ was being sarcastic to me. Maybe not though.

Edit: Good choice for the Song of the day Sciz. I always liked that, full of energy.

qq more

i just didnt plain like his tone in his post is all. why the fuck would i be actually upset if he doesnt care about the IRC or not

whatever

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still have no idea what's going on or the rationale behind this given that no one wants to be specific and deliver the goods on what the issue is. And to be honest, I really don't care to keep going with this drama in the thread.

Best solution is to talk about it in there since half of us aren't even involved in it. This is my request to drop it.

BlackJace

Look what this line of discussion is doing to us, guys. Let's just keep it cool in here.

Seriously, the forum is a mess today, and I'd like to know that there's one place that isn't hostile.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, let's move on.

I banged my arm really fucking hard on a lab machine yesterday and now there's a big bruise on there. I was just walking to get some rubber gloves because I was working with some gram-neg bacteria that I just don't want to put my ungloved hands towards. :V

I should start typing up GotY today but I want to nap first. Shit I don't even know what's going to be on the short list right now.

Top Bottom