• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Yup, though to be honest I was partially inspired by Jak & Daxter and Metroid Prime.

I'd post the mock-up image but I don't keep that stuff terribly well organized.

You guys mean this?

open-world-platformer-concept.png

It's not the original though, I redid it way back after seeing it on here.

Regiruler

Does the 3DS version of Lost World have a music player? If it does, can someone check whether it plays sound when the 3DS is closed?

I'm trying to make a reasonable-sized list of all games with the feature and so far only sonic games seem to have it.

PKrockin

Does the 3DS version of Lost World have a music player? If it does, can someone check whether it plays sound when the 3DS is closed?

I'm trying to make a reasonable-sized list of all games with the feature and so far only sonic games seem to have it.

Don't quote me on this but I suspect Kid Icarus may have this feature.

Spinluck

Sorry for not being rational, then :<

now now. i think i've seen your post here and there. and you are in no way irrational. i didn't mean to offend brother, and it's more just me joking if anything.

i have no problem with him having blue arms, and i'll admit he looks better when his arms are the same color as his tummy. but some of the reaction posts around the net have been bizarre. people will take that, make memes out of it, and say, "SO THESE ARE SONIC FANS!".

Picked up Sonic Unwiished today. Figure I'll get nine bucks worth out of downloading a complete save and dicking around with the day levels.

Truth be told, the Werehog levels on Wii have some neat spots. And the pacing is better because they break them up into small segments, not 20 minute marathons. Although you do end up playing a ton of them.

Also, poke through the puzzle rooms in the temples. They have real-time character switching like Eggmanland PS360 did, but with a different implementation to it.

Regiruler

Don't quote me on this but I suspect Kid Icarus may have this feature.

I know for a fact it doesn't.

I thought Castlevania OoE and Starfox 64 3D had the feature but I was mistaken with both. I tried WW DIY for the music mode but I forgot I hadn't made anything to listen to, so I just gave up.
So basically 3DS music player and sonic.

Spinluck

You guys mean this?

open-world-platformer-concept.png

It's not the original though, I redid it way back after seeing it on here.

I really like this idea. if executed well, it can be something special. I've always pictured an open world sonic game being something like this. outside of nintendo, i cannot recall many platformers from japan that have been up to par recently. sonic team will continue with their experimental approach to 3d sonic- and this game will probably be built on what's been proven to work with western platformers and adventure games.

they also seem to be approaching combat completely differently than just jump button twice. this entire concept can backfire and be utter garbage, but like always, i will wait and see.

I've been playing Unleashed (HD-PS3) over the past weeks, too. First time playing it in over a year and I still really like it. Definitely had some rough spots, such as the framerate which can go from really smooth to laughably jittery as soon as a bunch of enemies hit the screen. I still hold true to my opinion that if the Werehog A) were entirely leveled up with its full modeyst at the being of the game, B) had more emphasis on stretchy-arm platforming than combat, and C) were Knuckles, people would have hated it a lot less.

I dunno, for all the praise that Colours and Generations get for refining the store that Unleashed founded, Unleashed feels like the last game that Sonic Team actually put a lot of effort into making. From the graphics details (Oh Hedgehog Engine, just like the playstyle from Unleashed to Generations, you will never live up to your full potential.), the lack of nostalgia-whoring, to the world they created in the game, it doesn't get enough credit for what it did for the franchise.

I still laugh at people who say that Generations "perfected" they boost gameplay style, when there was still so much that could be done.

Regiruler

Was bored so I decided to change the avatar.

If anyone already is using it I'll gladly change back.

Full disclaimer: Knuckles is boring but the image is funny and already square.

Tizoc

With respect to the show:

Hahaha, I dunno. I kinda like this. Sounds better than the Turtles episodes I have to watch every week with my bro. He'd like this.

Wait does that ALL happen in one episode or are they a number of ep. synopsises?
Cuz either way that sounds good.

Regiruler

With respect to the show:

Hahaha, I dunno. I kinda like this. Sounds better than the Turtles episodes I have to watch every week with my bro. He'd like this.

Half of those sound like a plot out of spongebob.
...Which doesn't surprise me as SB has done probably every child-friendly plot in the book.

Tizoc

Anyone claimed the OT for Sonic Boom yet? I'd do it, but I don't have a WiiU and I wouldn't be getting the 3DS ver. day 1.

Regiruler

To make future discussions easier to understand, as a rule can we have modern sonic refer to the uncolorations sonic, while boom sonic is used to refer to the sonic boom design?

Unless we have a better term for '06-LW in which case I'm all up for it.
Anyone claimed the OT for Sonic Boom yet? I'd do it, but I don't have a WiiU and I wouldn't be getting the 3DS ver. day 1.

I just checked the OT OT, and no-one has seemed to claim it.

Anth0ny

To make future discussions easier to understand, as a rule can we have modern sonic refer to the uncolorations sonic, while boom sonic is used to refer to the sonic boom design?

Unless we have a better term for '06-LW in which case I'm all up for it.

I just checked the OT OT, and no-one has seemed to claim it.

Sonic 1 - Sonic Adventure = lil sanic

Sonic Adventure - Lost World = modarn sanic

boom sonic = what the fuck is this shit sonic

i think we can all agree on that.

HUELEN10

Sonic 1-DC: Ancient Sonic OR Retro Sonic
DC-Lost World: Classic Sonic (aka what he's looked like for most of his years)
Sonic Boom: Modern Sonic

Easy as pie!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last post for a few weeks (was nice to post in this thread and the FF thread today, though--missed you guys), but...

I was thinking of nuSonic for Sonic the Boomhog anyway. Whatever. Don't matter.

People have gotten in trouble for doing threads for games/versions of games they aren't getting so I wouldn't advise doing it.

I kinda want to claim it, but I dunno yet.

Guys, I really tried with Lost World. There's too many dumb design choices in the game. Why did they feel they needed to change up things after Generations and Colors? LW actively tries to make me hate it.

:(

Anth0ny

Guys, I really tried with Lost World. There's too many dumb design choices in the game. Why did they feel they needed to change up things after Generations and Colors? LW actively tries to make me hate it.

Sonic Team is the anti-Nintendo.

Fans: Okay you figured it out, this is good formula, just keep refining it. We want more of the same.

Sonic Team: nah, fuck this shit we're gonna try something new

Fans: sanic pls

qq more

The game is full of poor or underwhelming level design and the game has no idea whether it wants to be a Sonic or Mario game. And not to mention the odd inconsistencies such as water being suddenly instant-kill in the third world when it was safe in the first world...

There is just so much I want to write about the game, I'll do it later.

Sonic Boom question: the videogame is supposed to have a large focus on narrative, right? Since its been confirmed that the TV show isn't going to have any story-arcs or be heavily continuity driven, then what's the point?

Also, The LEGO Movie was dope.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, the video game is the prequel to the show, so it's going to be setting up the world and the characters* and such.

*Unfortunately I have my doubts about Amy. Not a good precedent for her characterization, but here's hoping...

It would be fun to see Boom bring out some characters from Sonic past, but I can't imagine it's going to happen. Though that picture does look a bit like Marine, at this point even she has been out of the franchise for 7 years.

Been replaying some Generations to cleanse my pallet after Lost World. Forgot how fun of a game it was. The first few levels are amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1998 was the best year after 1995.

Suikoden II, Baldur's Gate I, Final Fantasy VII (PC), Half-Life, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Ocarina of Time...

Sons, please.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well shit. Now we're in Majora's Mask's country.

And Vagrant Story's. And Diablo II's. And Icewind Dale's. And MvC2's. Jet Set Radio, Final Fantasy IX, Dewprism, Chrono Cross, Dragon Quest VII. THPS2, Skies of Arcadia, PSO, Hitman, Grandia II...

BALDUR'S GATE II before BioWare turned into crap.

God, so many good cRPGs.

Top Bottom